New player, interested in some answers

ManStapler

Hello,

So I started playing today, the game was fun, up until the maintenence. I only made it to about level 10. So I was wondering:

Can you change your characters appearance?

I also noticed that some things on my charecter change depending on the outfit I use, is that correct?

I noticed some threads about not getting the weapon they use, and not being able to use the auction due to level restrictions. I was wondering, the weapon I got as a started upgraded was way more powerful then I got from spinning that wheel thing, so what are people talking about? Did I miss something?

Should I watch out for some items? Should I collect soul shield parts? They do take up a whole lot of inventory space, I got one set, should I just sell the rest to the trader or keep them for some mystical reason?

There will be new servers soon, should I consider moving to them, seeing as I only put a few hours in to the game so far.

Also can someone give me a quick rundown of the faction system? Because I barely started the game and they already are making me choose something I know nothing about.

Hey Manstapler!

1. You have to buy a Character Alteration Voucher in the in-game cash shop to be able to change your characters appearance.

2. Costumes and accessories (hairband, hairstyles etc) will change your characters appearance when you wear them.

3. I would assume that they are talking about the evolution weapon. In BnS, you keep upgrading the Hongmoon weapon you get early game. In order to keep upgrading it, you will eventually need several evolution and breakthrough weapons. Some of these you get from spinning the wheel and opening the blue chest received from the wheel. Some people prefer to buy that item from the AH instead as it could take time to get the desired weapon from the blue chest.

4.a Do your best and save repair tools (you only need to repair once the weapon is fully broken, having 10/xx durability does not reduce damage of the weapon) and save Unsealing Charms as well by only unsealing items you need to, which in your case should be new soul shields and breakthrough/evolution weapons and accessories.

4.b You should break down any soul shields you don't plan on using. To break down an item, go into your inventory and press the hammer icon at the bottom of the inventory window, then select an item to break down. Doing this will occasionally give you yellow dust which you will use later in the game for enchanting your soul shields. Every single wheel in the game has a full 8-piece soul shield set that you can win by spinning. I have a soul shield video guide if you're interested:

I hope my answers were clear to you!

Well, that did answer most of them, but a few are left.

What are the factions? Should I even be choosing one so early? Can someone give me a quick rundown on what will factions influence in my gameplay?

Should I join a new server for a fresh start, or is it not worth the few hours I already spent on my charecter?

Should I buy a Signature pack? I noticed it's really cheap, especially compared to the other pack that is many times more expensive. Could someone comment on these packs?

Hi ManStapler,

Factions: I do believe there is a way to defect to another faction as you progress through the game. Given that ability, I don't think it's too important which one you choose now. I've progressed up to level 22 and honestly have not seen anything that even mentions the two different factions (Cerulean Order vs Crimson Order), except for that quest that asks you to choose. So far, they just seem to be background themes. The in-game description given to you pretty much sums up what they're about. I'm only speaking from my perspective of having leveled to 22, of course, and I know that's not much. But I hope that helps.

Servers: If you've only put in a few hours then I'd say if you want to move to a new server, then do it. The leveling is relatively easy and quick. If you don't like your server now, you might as well jump ship before you've put in more time. This also ties in with the Signature pack question you have, and that's to do with queue times. The new servers probably will have a somewhat shorter queue compared to the more established servers.

Signature Packs: Honestly, for me, getting the premium membership from the packs is the whole point. Without the premium membership, you're basically stuck in the "Normal Queue" for hours. It's fine if you have the time and aren't too frustrated about the queue times. With the membership, you get to skip the queue, more or less, depending on what server you're on. The Traditional Hongmoon Dragon Soup that comes with the more expensive pack is pretty cool. It allows you to level a bit faster, because it gives extra combat experience. I personally don't really care about the other stuff so much. All in all, if you have time and don't mind waiting in queue, and also don't care about leveling slightly faster, then I'm not sure if the packs will really benefit you that much. This is all my personal opinion, of course! I invested in a Student Pack just so I can really play the game for a week to see if I like it enough to pay for membership, instead of just sitting in queue for hours. Queue times are annoying and that's why I opted for the small pack. :)

Thank you for the answers, I have one last question:

After the server maintenence, will there be queue's joining the game? Because I had no problem logging in so far, so this is my last factor in should I switch servers, should I jump ship now. Because when I joined, it was early working hours, but after maintenence it will be the time where everyone working normal hours will be home (also school people).

I'm on the EU servers.

Also this forum is bugged and I get to enjoy replying from the second time, although this time I am smart and will copy my reply in case it doesn't get through.

43 minutes ago, ManStapler said:

Well, that did answer most of them, but a few are left.

What are the factions? Should I even be choosing one so early? Can someone give me a quick rundown on what will factions influence in my gameplay?

Should I join a new server for a fresh start, or is it not worth the few hours I already spent on my charecter?

Should I buy a Signature pack? I noticed it's really cheap, especially compared to the other pack that is many times more expensive. Could someone comment on these packs?

To give more on what Lilanya said.

1. Factions can be swapped at any time by talking to an NPC in Jadestone Village but you will receive a 3 day cool down where you can't swap factions if you end up swapping. The biggest reasons for being in a specific faction is that you can only join a guild (player based guild that is) that is of the same faction as you and there are faction specific costumes in the game that can only be worn while being part of that faction.

2. Up to you really. As Lilanya said, it also depends if you go for premium or not as the ques will become a lot better if you're premium.

3. In my opinion the only time those small packs are worth it is if you, like Lilanya, want to check out the game for a week or so and pay a small amount to get in the game faster with the in-game perks by being a premium member. Other than that, the items received in those packs are not worth it, in my opinion.

I'm on NA servers, so I can't really speak to the situation of the EU servers.

It really depends when your playtime is around and what server you're on. I know the more established servers, like Mushin and Jiwan, have queue times of up to 8 hours? I wasn't a premium member when I was on Jiwan, so I jumped ship to Juwol, which is the lowest population server (I think) and the queue time for that was 20 minutes, however, it kept going up. I think as long as premium members log in, they'll keep being bumped to the front of the queue, so normal players end up getting longer queue times sometimes. This was why I bought the small pack. There is literally no wait on Juwol with a membership.

I don't know how much of a difference the new servers will make as far as queue times go. It's hard to say, but if you're only a little ways into your leveling progress, then I'd say it's probably a good idea to try out the new realms? The game's been out a few days, so I'm sure lots of people have already leveled up to max or close and they won't want to be switching and starting from scratch. I think NCSoft also implemented a new feature that actually kicks people offline if they're inactive for a certain period of time, so that probably will help with queue times, too.

It really depends when your playtime is around and what server you're on. I know the more established servers, like Mushin and Jiwan, have queue times of up to 8 hours? I wasn't a premium member when I was on Jiwan, so I jumped ship to Juwol, which is the lowest population server (I think) and the queue time for that was 20 minutes, however, it kept going up. I think as long as premium members log in, they'll keep being bumped to the front of the queue, so normal players end up getting longer queue times sometimes. This was why I bought the small pack. There is literally no wait on Juwol with a membership.

I don't know how much of a difference the new servers will make as far as queue times go. It's hard to say, but if you're only a little ways into your leveling progress, then I'd say it's probably a good idea to try out the new realms? The game's been out a few days, so I'm sure lots of people have already leveled up to max or close and they won't want to be switching and starting from scratch. I think NCSoft also implemented a new feature that actually kicks people offline if they're inactive for a certain period of time, so that probably will help with queue times, too.

wait.

isnt it the fun part ? ... when and how you discover the game.

I get it ... internet has answers ... but why not discover by yourself what game has to offer and how fun is it.

Try making ur own gameplay and not copy others.

23 minutes ago, TheMightyBonsly said:

Hi, new player, non-premium. Are the packs basically the only way to get a decent queue time? =_= that's kind of a bummer.

Also, are you locked into the server you choose during character creation, or can you change it?

Thanks!

You can buy premium without buying the packs, but yes, I would say that premium is definitely the way to go if you want a better que time.

Yes, you are locked into that server you pick after you create that character.  If you want to change server, you need to remake a character and pick a different server at the end of character creation.

Archived