PSA: If you have extreme ping/skill lag in Blade and Soul, you might have an ASUS motherboard. Here's the fix!

Parzrus

CREDIT TO:  KirinNight

This is a weird issue, but if only Blade and Soul is giving you extreme lag (up to a full second to register skill activation), it might be an ASUS bit of software running.

Here's how to turn it off and fix the game:

• 1. Hit the START button, and in the search box type: services.msc
  • 2. Locate "ASUSGameFirstService" in the list.
  • 3. Right-click "ASUSGameFirstService" and got to "Properties"
  • 4. Change the "Startup type:" option to "Disabled"
  • 5. Press "Apply", then "Okay"

That's it, now you can play Blade and Soul normal. :)

EDIT:

• OTHER POTENTIAL NAMES FOR THIS SERVICE: cFosSpeed, XFast LAN, Gigabyte Speed

(Thanks FFIXMaster for the additional names!)

On 1/20/2016 at 4:16 PM, SeroZeroes said:

OR, run the GameFirstService, after you start BnS, set its priority as HIGHEST.
Your ASUS motherboard would reroute all available/needed to resource to BnS instead. Improving FPS/ping etc.

im not at my computer right now but can i just ask, how do you set the priority to highest?

They are working on it. I have talked to one of support guy in online chat and he said since it is new game we are optimizing the app for it and it will soon be update for BNS. I have tried Kill Ping on different games also and it worked flawlessly also reduced my ping in DOTA 2 sea region.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2016 at 2:20 AM, Aria Kyu said:

GameFirst will only affect your FPS, making massive stuttering issues/frame drops. Nothing to do with your Ping/Latency.

Unless it causes interface lag, yes? Not saying it does, but I've found some issue with interface lag while showing a solid 120 fps.

On 1/28/2016 at 10:22 PM, Marthanumarda said:

I have talked to one of support guy in online chat and he said since it is new game we are optimizing the app for it and it will soon be update for BNS.

New game being out for 4 years :x that support guy is a Troll ^^

3 minutes ago, Wickysmall said:

Technically new in the sense that it just got ported over to North America. The game isn't new, but it's new for players who never tried it. But optimizing the game will never be as simple as anyone ever thinks it is. Optimizing this game, would be best by updating the engine it was built on.

3 hours ago, Aria Kyu said:

Technically new in the sense that it just got ported over to North America. The game isn't new, but it's new for players who never tried it. But optimizing the game will never be as simple as anyone ever thinks it is. Optimizing this game, would be best by updating the engine it was built on.

Agreed it was just me being a d*ck :) but still confusing at times, why would they use a different (older) version of the game rather than using the already functional and up to date one. I mean it's the same hardware worldwide.

Let's not forget NCWest (ArenaNet/NC Austin/NC Europe) is a wholly owned group of NCSoft's subsidiaries (the grouping goes back to 2008). Would still be interesting to know more about the contract like do they agree on a certain version of the game? Why an older version? tweaking purposes? 

10 hours ago, Nezakhan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

Sorry, "input" lag. I've found in the past with other games solutions for solving input lag had a lot to do with gamefirst and cfos, which resulted in the illusion of bad latency in the face of good low ping. 

While I personally never really noticed any input lag, since I play at various resolutions on various different monitors, this may be true. I can't confirm as I personally never noticed it. But if you believe it's related to that, then I have no reason to deny.

6 hours ago, Wickysmall said:

Agreed it was just me being a d*ck :) but still confusing at times, why would they use a different (older) version of the game rather than using the already functional and up to date one. I mean it's the same hardware worldwide.

Let's not forget NCWest (ArenaNet/NC Austin/NC Europe) is a wholly owned group of NCSoft's subsidiaries (the grouping goes back to 2008). Would still be interesting to know more about the contract like do they agree on a certain version of the game? Why an older version? tweaking purposes? 

NCSoft/NCWest are just publishers. Team Bloodlust are the developers, which is partly or fully owned by NCSoft. To keep content generating across all versions, all other versions besides the Korean are pushed back on content. This allows the Korean versions to get the content first, tweak and fix anything that is necessary, and starts shipping them out to other versions as time progresses. This can be seen through many other games that are first published in another country. All Korean MMOs are done like this. It makes it easier to contain for problems, and expands the lifespan of the game as content slowly roles out, portions at a time. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2016 at 3:08 PM, Wickysmall said:

hahaha yes it's true what you said, this is not a new game.. it was released since 4 years ago at korea, so now release globally may caused lag terribly??  I better move to another game like Guild wars2 who never caused me trouble even once.. poor system maintenance for blade and soul team !!

Prancing ploggles! I have been intentionally using "Cfos speed" for the whole time I have been playing this game, even turned it back on after clean booting. If that is indeed one of the programs that doesn't play nice with B&S this may have just solved my 1-2 second lag issues, thanks! :3

Archived