Ping has increased 2-3x in past few days

SkyStorm

I'm only about 350 miles from Dallas. I usually have an ingame ping around 100ms. It has gone to 200-300ms as of 3-4 days ago. If I connect through a vpn server in Dallas my ping returns to normal again.

I've used a ping tester and it says my ping to Dallas is 35ms, 40ms if I'm using the vpn connection. That is opposite of what I'm seeing in the game, which leads my to believe that the routing tables to the bns servers are hosed up. There should not be that many hops between me and the Dallas servers. I'm using ATT so maybe the routing is messed up on their side, but regardless or the cause, I should not have to resort to using a ping-zapper service in order to play the game when I'm this close to the servers.

Please not that the vpn connection that I referred to is not designed to eliminate ping, rather it is encrypted for privacy, but at present is the only way I can play the game.

This appears to be a problem with routing through xo.net in Dallas. It could just affect AT@T customers but may be more widespread than that. Maybe somebody with some clout (I don't know, maybe someone like NCSoft) needs to let them know that their messed up routing is making it difficult for game companies with servers in Dallas.

Archived