Excessive resource usage since patch; load times 10~15% slower, +~1GB memory used

y3kcjd5

Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole idea of using the 64bit client is to make things faster and MORE efficient, not less, right? I came up with these numbers by testing under the exact same conditions as before the patch. Increased memory usage due to additional content is a thing, but a whole GB extra is a bit over the top I say.

As a programmer I can answer that this probably is normal. 

64bit applications are usually more hardware intensive than their respective 32bit version. 

A 32bit application can use a max. of 2GB memory, 4GB if large address aware is enabled (for 64bit systems enabled is the default) and the top bit pointers of the application are not fixed as zero. 

A 64bit game nowadays can and will easily use more than 2GB memory, this means more stuff in your RAM for your CPU and GPU to process. 

64bit programs usually increase the performance as it increases the hardware resources consumption, by taking advantage of the hardware full potential which had a bottleneck due the 32bit architecture. The advantages for a game running in 64bit should be more FPS and the possibility of better graphics compared to their 32bit versions.

The problem here is the 1GB increase in memory usage has resulted in a performance drop, not improvement. The graphics in game, by the way, look exactly the same (setting aside all the new bugs, that is) so the change seems to have resulted in nothing but an increase in memory/CPU/GPU usage. Switching to a 64 bit client is NOT an excuse to get sloppy with your optimization.

P.S. if there has been a framerate improvement it's less than 1 fps so I haven't noticed it.

Archived