1v1 Strategy vs BDs?

PatchKid

These guys completely mess me up.  I've finally found ways to fight against assassins making the fight more interesting and less 1-sided.  Still not guaranteed to win, but it's more about who times their skills better - but I'm probably 1/10 wins vs LBDs at this point.

They always guaranteed to land 20% air combo out the gate.  I've tried SS, Q/E, flying opening - whatever.  No matter what I do, they will always get the opener on me and do 20% of my HP.  After this, my strategy is basically to try and knock them on their ass as much as possible.

Unfortunately, they have superior escape abilities allowing them to escape my knockdowns, use TAB escape to get out of a second knockdown, then go invulnerable and keep me immobilized (daze, looooong air combo, grab, then run & spin) long enough to negate any effort put forth to draw out the TAB escape and get them into a bad stunlock situation.

On top of the above struggles, I am constantly getting dazed by their spin because the timing to land any attack in between spins seems to be shorter than the duration of their "deflect".  The fact that they can deflect + daze when I use counter is total bullshit IMO considering my counter skill is supposed to make me resist daze and stun after successfully countering.

Final frustration is that I usually will train into the non-daze version of TAB escape because I need it for their grab.  The first grab, I can freeze out of, but the second grab they will destroy me if I don't have TAB escape trained to break grab - and that means I lose a valuable CC countering mechanic...

So - what's the strategy here?  I don't think I can get the timing on these guys to work...

If they spin, SS > LB (pierces defense + knockdown, works until you reach low plat in new season), then comet punch if they roll back (if you don't know how to do tech chase, google it up).

If they force grip you, do not use freeze unless you got stabbed by their blade or you are out of Iframe to use if he drops you later(SS/QE).

train your timing against their spin, dont use counter/attacks on first 0.5 second of spin (you can use it after the 0.5 sec deflect timer to gain immunity to daze and stun).

becareful when spamming counter, some lbm spec for guard break, if they guard break you, immediately spam your SS/QE button ASAP.

31 minutes ago, Kanosaki said:

If they spin, SS > LB (pierces defense + knockdown, works until you reach low plat in new season), then comet punch if they roll back (if you don't know how to do tech chase, google it up).

If they force grip you, do not use freeze unless you got stabbed by their blade or you are out of Iframe to use if he drops you later(SS/QE).

train your timing against their spin, dont use counter/attacks on first 0.5 second of spin (you can use it after the 0.5 sec deflect timer to gain immunity to daze and stun).

becareful when spamming counter, some lbm spec for guard break, if they guard break you, immediately spam your SS/QE button ASAP.

I appreciate the tips.  Here's a couple quick follow-up questions:

What is the CD of their grab + blade ability?  I find that if I freeze the first attempt, then the freeze is on CD for the second attempt, so they will eventually get to use their crazy blade attack that does around 50% of my HP.

What's the best way to capitalize on TAB escape with a BD?  I find C to be unreliable as it too often gets deflected, and BDs don't allow you to stand next to them - plus I can't quite get timing of Triple Kick to work.  It does basically nothing.

Also, I heard you should use Triple Kick on BDs often to disable charge skill because they have some kind of gap closing ability that is painful?  Even though they'll be immune to the stun portion (while spinning) it will prevent them from performing some important ability?

blade ability is no cd, as long as they grapple, get ready to use your 2 when:

1) They SS during force grip (they use it immediately usually unless you're fighting high platinum bd)

2) A blade is flying out of their ass to the sky to your back (if you missed your 2 on this, press freeze immediately)

Do not retreat when you're grounded, use your ground counter 2 (or ground 1 if they expect you to counter)

Archived