Is combat too complex?

inkwhiz888

I was trying to fit this into 200 words in the survey and the game disconnected from the server so I am typing it here.

in terms of animation, effects and sound combat is brilliant.

one could say the combat has a lot of depth to it but even after playing this with a game pad for days now the combat simply is far too complex.

just to avoid my brain hurting, I am avoiding using most of the combos, forgetting old ones to learn new ones and many of them while looking great simply don't do enough damage to make using them worth while.

the attacks worth using because they do a large amount of damage, get boring because they repeat the same single animation,

Since games like Dark Siders and Batman Arkham city are among my all time favorites where timing button presses results in chaining attacks, am I too much of a button masher?

It's as complex as you want it to be. That said, for optimal play, there will be a set sequence which does a large amount of damage. You learned this through playing and got bored. Not sure what to say. Suppose you're fighting a difficult boss. He has 20 attack patterns. You learn the timing, you know your invincibility frames, you'll know what the optimal rotation is. Even if this is the "same single animation", wouldn't it bring you pleasure to pull it off with 100% accuracy? It's like guitar hero. You're doing the same thing over and over, but the sequences change, and your satisfaction comes from your play.  

Archived