Ping Issues and NCsoft respone to my ticket.

KryssNova

Hey, folks.

Hopefully someone can help me out, basically I have some ping issues toward EU NCsoft servers (Windrest).

Contacted NCsoft bout this and gave them all the info and the pingplotter info at the end.

Link to my results:

dd88f6f1f4b74a62cbbd8cd16f52a69f.png

Basically TL;DR: their answer was that It's packet loss and it's something on my ISP side. Did they mean the 10-hop and 100% packet loss, if so isn't this just ICMP blocking from NCSoft?

Also if not what is the deal with 10-hop and 100% packet loss "Destination Adress Unreachable" and what can I do about this?

Otherwise this is their answer:

"

Manolito (Blade and Soul)

Feb 3, 22:52

Hello there,

According to this report, your connection is suffering from packet loss. If you are not familiar with this term, it simply means the loss of data while in transit from point A (your computer) to point B (our servers).

If you review the results of Ping Plotter, you should see solid red bars (lines) throughout the test. Each of these red lines is a spot where the connection just, well stopped. Either not enough information could be received or it wasn't sent. As such, the game is trying to adjust your position to your last known location. Because the server is always right, (this is a security measure for anti-cheating/hacking) the game is forced to adjust your location to where the server last thought you were. This causes your character to "snap back" or "rubberband" to that location. If not enough data is received in a period of time, then the game will likely disconnect you because it thinks you are no longer active.

Because the loss of data is happening prior to it reaching our game servers, you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance. I would highly recommend sending them the results of your Ping Plotter test so they can visually see the issue you are suffering from.

Best Regards,

Manolito
NCSOFT Support Team

"

So can anyone help me out, informing me if they are actually right, if so what can I do bout this on my side or is it completely depended on my ISP or NCSoft?

Since I'm kinda new at reading graphs from PingPlotter.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Aevri said:

What you are using is traceroute which most ISP has blocked for some security reason i think so as mine. It is not ping.

I see. But then so would I need to contact my ISP to traceroute this or it's irrelevant and the connection only until that point is what matters, so if if something is actually wrong then what should I do?

Is there a way to check if my ping is actually stable. BEcause I know that Rescource Mangaer isn't one.

I pinged my Windrest EU server with port it was getting 34 ms, buts that only connection to server with small packets and it doesn't reflect the actually smoothnes during playing.

2 minutes ago, KryssNova said:

I see. But then so would I need to contact my ISP to traceroute this or it's irrelevant and the connection only until that point is what matters and therefore if something is actually wrong then what should I do?

The block can happen to yours or NCsoft's ISP and it is on their end this time as shown in the graph. Nothing you can do to that however if you are to diagnose packet loss you should check with pinging with cmd-prompt to that IP. And check router/modem DSL status for any CRC or ECC numbers.

5 minutes ago, Aevri said:

The block can happen to yours or NCsoft's ISP and it is on their end this time as shown in the graph. Nothing you can do to that however if you are to diagnose packet loss you should check with pinging with cmd-prompt to that IP. And check router/modem DSL status for any CRC or ECC numbers.

Well, I see. I am just trying to figure out to best optimize my latency for smoother gameplay. Cause ingame it feels like 100ms compared to other MMOs.

Meanwhile this game is based on smooth action combat. But like you said, also to me it looks like it's something on their side.

Since I never had such problems before and tested most possible things on my side about this and also my friends, even from Germany has also same problems with latancy.

If it's actually something on MY ISP side, then I doubt that my ISP would specifically change their ways just for me and otherwise everything on my side, of PC, router and Fiber net is optimized.

So yeah, it looks like I would just be wasting effort on this anylonger, since it looks like something on NCSoft side, by the looks that lot people have same issues.

Thanks for taking your time and helping me out.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, Aevri said:

What you are using is traceroute which most ISP has blocked for some security reason i think so as mine. It is not ping.

Tracert and Ping both use ICMP. If you block ICMP then you would block both ping and tracert. 

Edit: I should add it's not a question of 'blocking' it's more a question of 'not responding to'. 

1 minute ago, BlowFish said:

Tracert and Ping both use ICMP. If you block ICMP then you would block both ping and tracert. 

I ping'ed my Windrest EU server, with all their respecible IP's and different ports with "psping" and connection to servers was good like under 40ms.

But, there is latancy for sure, not placeaboo. I just know when game feels like 40ms compared to >100ms.

So, the reason for lag could be NCSoft internal network, connection on way back, or my own ISP or too populated server.

5 minutes ago, KryssNova said:

I ping'ed my Windrest EU server, with all their respecible IP's and different ports with "psping" and connection to servers was good like under 40ms.

But, there is latancy for sure, not placeaboo. I just know when game feels like 40ms compared to >100ms.

So, the reason for lag could be NCSoft internal network, connection on way back, or my own ISP or too populated server.

It is not you who notice that. I replied another thread with a finding.

Basically TL;DW, I have lower ping to EU servers. The new server assume with least population give me the least lag, and the oldest (since launch day) give me the lag as bad as US region server.

@BlowFish That don't explain why ping works but tracert fails at ISP's node. I'm not expert but this suggest ISP firewall is in play. Correct me if i'm wrong.

14 minutes ago, BlowFish said:

incidentally if you want to find out where the problem (packet loss) lies.

1) do a tracert

2) ping each node in the path to the server. This will give you an idea where the issue lies.

Well.

Did tracert and pinged the server NCSoft gave me as well as my Windrest Game server and all IP's nodes on the way -

Results was:

NCSoft server and Game Server stable and until 10hop which request timed out for whole duration after that until 30hop.

Tracing and Pinging every each node seapertly, which were  on the way to the servers, they all Timed Out, probs all blocked.

Like I stated before. 

It looks like issue isn't on my side, but rather could be my ISP, NC-Soft etc....

So I would be just wasting my efforts paying my mind to this anylonger. 

Otherwise the thing I also wanted to ask about is the Support Agent answer to my Ticket.

They say something about "red bars (lines) being my packet loss, cause supposly the red lines indicate that my connection stopped", is that correct?

Do they mean the vertical lines that go down throught the whole duration of the test or do they only mean the 10 hop?

Are they correct and is that normal, does it indicate that problem actually lies with my ISP or are they wrong and they just shoving off their fault on my ISP?

Archived