Troubles Targeting Summoners

Kilinjaro

I've been having a of troubles targeting summoners due to how close they are standing to their pet in pvp. I'ts gotten to the point where I literally cannot ever attack first because if I do I'll target the pet about 80% of the time or I'l hit them but cannot initiate an aerial combo because the targeting refuses to let me not target the pet on the ground instead of the person in the air no matter how I angle my camera. It'll even stay stuck on the pet if he's not even on my screen.

I've been googling this for a few days now and apparently I'm the only person in the world who's ever complained about this and honestly it's kind of frustrating me now. In world pvp a massive advantage is given to whoever initiates and sometimes the initiate is more than enough to guarantee a victory but up to this point if I've seen a summoner I've had to wait in hiding until they sent their pet far away and ambush him or try to fly above and dive down when they aren't paying attention to try and pick out the target slowly.

I was wondering if there was anyway around this or at least to mitigate it. I know lots of people are gonna be saying "just kill the pet first" but in world pvp that's not necessary as it's possible to combo someone either to near death or straight to death in one combo and I just cannot for the life of me target what I want when I'm against a summoner. There doesn't seem to be anyway to lock a target in this game and the only option for target in the option menu is target sensitivity and I'm not exactly sure what type of an effect that has.

It would be nice if I could just press a button and stay locked on that one thing until it's either dead or untargetable because targeting gets really finicky in this game even in pve when things are close together and hit detection doesn't exist for anything except for what your actually targeted on for many abilities. An example would be if you were clearing swinging your weapon through  something right in front of you it would not actually deal damage to it if something else was targeted slightly to the side or further back.

3 hours ago, Mishi said:

It's the summoner trying to get you to waste your skills on their pet, so they don't take the brunt of damage. 

Just as you are trying to kill the summoner, they are trying to avoid being killed.

I'm quite aware of that. What I'm having a problem with is more a technical problem than anything else. I really shouldn't have to fight both the summoner, his pet, and the targeting system all at the same time should I?

Also it's worth adding that fighting someone that's trying to abuse the targeting system in this way is just aggravating to deal with and not a fun experience. I would rather fight 3 spinning destroyers at the same time failing miserably multiple times just so I can learn when I should be attacking and when I shouldn't be. At least with that I can get something from it instead of just feeling like I simply cannot win due to some arbitrary limitation.

1 hour ago, Kilinjaro said:

Also it's worth adding that fighting someone that's trying to abuse the targeting system

First of all: I play as an Assassin, second: I do have my problems with summoners as well, BUT your claim here is ridiculous. It's the same as if you would say, that summoners SHOULD stay at least 10m away from their cats, so that YOU can target them better. If they're doing these "horrible" things to you, then just because, they don't want to get killed by you, you might find it frustrating - I understand that well - but blaming them for it is, well, kinda stupid - sorry, no offense meant.

This reminds me heavily of a game called World of Tanks, where you can, if you know how, use brush cover to spot your enemies and rek them without getting spotted in return and how several people claim, that it's sooo unfair, while the truth is, that it's a normal game mechanic, designed by the devs to be that way.

What I'm trying to say here is: if you have problems targeting someone, then you propably need to train more and get better at it. And yes, the same applies for me as well.

6 hours ago, VHK said:

First of all: I play as an Assassin, second: I do have my problems with summoners as well, BUT your claim here is ridiculous. It's the same as if you would say, that summoners SHOULD stay at least 10m away from their cats, so that YOU can target them better. If they're doing these "horrible" things to you, then just because, they don't want to get killed by you, you might find it frustrating - I understand that well - but blaming them for it is, well, kinda stupid - sorry, no offense meant.

This reminds me heavily of a game called World of Tanks, where you can, if you know how, use brush cover to spot your enemies and rek them without getting spotted in return and how several people claim, that it's sooo unfair, while the truth is, that it's a normal game mechanic, designed by the devs to be that way.

What I'm trying to say here is: if you have problems targeting someone, then you propably need to train more and get better at it. And yes, the same applies for me as well.

There is a large difference between a player using tools they have in their kit to help themselves survive and just abusing poor game mechanics to make something more difficult on a player than it it ever was intended to be. I play a game called War Thunder and in that game you an play a mode called ground forces where you play using tanks just like world of tanks. There is a very well known and poorly looked upon tactic in that mode in which you turn all your graphics down to nothing so that you can see your enemy better from distances because you can no longer even see the bush they are hiding in making your tactic useless.

Things like this are just technical problems with the game that a player cannot fix. This is why I used the analogy with the destroyers. I would much more fun losing horribly if I could learn something from it and yes maybe I can get better at using the targeting system but even if I could something seems a little wrong when I'm targeting things not even on my screen just because they are closer. 

I'm not saying summoners should stay away from their pets to make it easier to kill them I'm saying I should have a little more control over who my target is when they are close enough together that the targeting system gets confused.

4 hours ago, OZGlitch said:

And FMs should not use the skill that freezes my targeting reticule in place. I hate not being able to move my mouse.

Once again my point is being entirely misunderstood

Let me spell it out then because apparently multiple attempts to clarify aren't enough. Summoners do not have control of the targeting system, they do not have any ability that says "make enemy target x instead of y" the closest thing they have is the ability in which they switch places with their pet, however, that is not applicable here as it's not even what I have a problem with. An FM using an ability to force you into some sort of state or scenario that isn't advantageous is just fine because it has counters and is a part of his kit. He's meant to use that and your meant to find a way around it so if I get beaten by a FM that does that to me it won't peeve me at all. If I get screwed because the targeting system simply didn't allow me to target what I wanted regardless of how much I tried to make it do what I wanted it'll frustrate me because neither summoners or the ones who are trying to kill them can alter how it works.

Lets use the world of tanks example. Would you not be pissed if you tried to hide in a bush but were found every time simply because someone turned their graphics down and could no longer see the bush you were hiding in? I would be because I have no control over that. It's an objectively bad part of the game. And yes I used the word objectively, when a technical aspect of a game causes some sort of problem that either cannot be fixed or at the very least causes un-fun situations for the player then it's objectively bad. Now I won't go so far as to say the targeting in this game is objectively bad but there are certainly problems with it.

Basically this. Moves that cause bad situations for opposing players = good because it promotes competition and the drive to get better. Game mechanics or systems that make it difficult to do what you intended = bad and cause frustration because you can't control it (at least not fully). You ever play a game with bad controls? ya that's what I'm getting at.

Archived