Help with random FPS spikes and drops

Ragna25362

GTX 960 2gb

i5-4460 3.2Ghz

16GB RAM.

I get random FPS spikes around the world, which I can overlook, but a lot of times, randomly basicly anywhere in the open world, my FPS drops from like 80+ to 50 and lower, depending on how the area is crowded. Is anyone else experiencing something like this? For example, Im killing some mobs outside the first city you enter, and then when I aproach a little camp to deliver the quest, my fps drops like that from 80+ to 50 and less.

The FPS killer seems to be a few things from what I have gathered:

1) Disable Phsyics (boob jiggle no big deal). I instantly gained like 10 FPS from doing this in towns.

2) The engine seems to pre-load/pre-render everything on maps. I'm not sure if that has that large of an affect, but it may. Not sure if there's much to be done there.

3) Disable Shadows, obviously.

Now with a GTX 970/8350/16GB RAM on 2720x1536 I'm running no lower than 40 - 45 FPS in populated towns, sometimes down to 35. Otherwise I run 60 - 80 - 120fps.

I think most of the problem is coming from rendering NPC/Players. So try their details/distance and see if there is a difference there as well. I've been open world with max graphics/full post processing outside of jiggle physics and motion blur and in intense lighting/detailed terrain I do not drop below 80 FPS if no one else is around, so it's not that.

Something that I just thought about while going to reply to this thread is that the game makes use of PhysX. Something you can check in the Nvidia Control Panel is what your PhysX settings are set to. Rather it is set to use your graphics card or your cpu or auto.  Most of the characters use physX for there clothing so it could be that slowing you down alot. Also the game is only 32 Bit so it is never going to fully use all your ram or a large amount of it.

Thanks for replies. I tried turning down some of the settings, and I gained some fps, which is nice, but the drops are still there and have no changed one bit. Now I had around 100fps in the open and then in combat or near npcs/players it suddenly fell to the 50 and stayed like that until i moved back to the open. This game is like 3 or so years old, and having issues like this is dissapointing

1 hour ago, Tissy said:

Something that I just thought about while going to reply to this thread is that the game makes use of PhysX. Something you can check in the Nvidia Control Panel is what your PhysX settings are set to. Rather it is set to use your graphics card or your cpu or auto.  Most of the characters use physX for there clothing so it could be that slowing you down alot. Also the game is only 32 Bit so it is never going to fully use all your ram or a large amount of it.

Someone else explained this to me, as well. I was going to try setting it exclusively to my GPU rather than auto. Someone explained it may be putting load on my CPU rather than the GPU.

1 hour ago, Glint said:

The FPS killer seems to be a few things from what I have gathered:

1) Disable Phsyics (boob jiggle no big deal). I instantly gained like 10 FPS from doing this in towns.

NOT THE BOOB PHYSICS!  But seriously, I would never trade the boob jiggle for slightly more FPS.  It's just not worth it man, not worth it at all.

Archived