GPU Driver conflict/crash?

Nocens

Hi all,

I have an issue. I have not yet even entered the game however when loading the game I experience a "crash" and my GPU is limited to 405Mhz from the 1173Mhz it should run at. The crash does NOT prevent the game from loading to the menu, however it affects my GPU clock.

I ONLY have this issue in this game and have never experienced it before in any other game I have played. The limitation is not limited to just the B&S session, it is hard locked at 405Mhz even after being closed and the only remedy is to disable/enable the GPU in device manager or restart my computer.

I have noticed the crash around the time when the agreement pops up.

Specs: i7 6700K

GTX 970M-G

16GB RAM

Installed on SSD

359.00 drivers (The 361.xx drivers are broken so I refuse to use them, 359.00 is the most recent stable driver)

Is this an issue for anyone else or am I alone on this one? Any fixes?

New information: If I remove the overclock from my GPU it holds 1038Mhz just fine.

The game with overclock now downclocks to 540Mhz rather than the initial 405Mhz

Can anyone else overclock their GPU and confirm it being throttled and not returning to normal once the game is closed?

Disabling and reenabling the device in device manager returns the GPU to its original state (less overclocks)

4 minutes ago, Aevri said:

In nvidia CP set to this game profile, the power management to always full power. Is not a good idea to have the GPU bumping voltage up and down since yours downclocked to that low.

I have performance profile on.

Whenever I remove the overclock it works fine.

With the overclock on it downclocks like crazy and not like a normal downclock. With a normal downclock it will still clock up to full clocks when demanded (Like in BO3 or KF2) but after BnS downclocks, I exit and play BO3/KF2 the downclock still exists. It's as if this game does something to statically downclock my GPU somehow.

I don't know the inner workings of a GPU or its drivers, however it seems to only occur when I have my GPU overclocked. On stock settings I stay at 1038Mhz. It's a shame I can't keep my overclock on 24/7 because of one game. I wonder if this is an issue for many people or just me.

I don't mean your PC power performance profile. But the one in CP > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings tab > BnS Client > Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

I run on +140 overclock and +500 on memory using Afterburner with gtx680, not experienced problem so far. Sure your GPU heat is good?

19 minutes ago, Aevri said:

I don't mean your PC power performance profile. But the one in CP > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings tab > BnS Client > Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

I run on +140 overclock and +500 on memory using Afterburner with gtx680, not experienced problem so far. Sure your GPU heat is good?

Yep even on +135Mhz OC I never break 60C on this.

I will set it in NCP now

I will test it later though. I will report back ASAP :D

Tested and still the same issue.

Maybe an issue with Maxwell based GPU overclocking and this game. Would love to hear if others with Maxwell based GPUs are experiencing the same problems with overclocked GPUs.

Perhaps it's a mobile or 970M issue only too. Though this is the first game I have experienced this in..

Archived