High GPU load in dungeon lobby

Tom Henks

Hey everyone, I wanted to report a game bug that I have been observing since I play the game. The TLDR version of the issue is that the GPU load in the dungeon lobby where you search for other players is much higher than during normal gameplay.

I have been in touch with the NCsoft tech support for over a week now, and we were not able to solve the issue, which is why I am confident this is a game bug that might be specific to some of the hardware I use. To be clear, I work for AMD tech support so I tried everything I would normally suggest to customers like clean driver reinstall, system updates, etc. I can also rule out a hardware issue because I have no issues in any other game, and I can rule out a driver issue because I tested several different driver versions and they can't all be faulty.

My system specs are: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro
GPU: Asus Rog Strix Rx Vega 56
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz RAM (SKU: CMW32GX4M4C3200C16)
PSU: Corsair Rm1000x (1000W) PSU
OS: Windows 10 64-bit 1909 (on a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB)

A bit more information about the issue: During normal gameplay like running around and killing monsters by myself, the GPU load is usually at around 60-65% while delivering smooth performance and 120FPS in areas where the CPU doesn't get choked by too many players. It is also only around 50°C during normal gameplay, so perfectly fine temperatures. In the dungeon lobby, however (as well as in cutscenes and some dialogues where the camera focusses on the NPC like speaking to the Divine Maiden), the GPU load increases to 85-90%, causing the GPU temperatures to rise steadily. If the search for other players takes long enough, the GPU will eventually hit 70°C which is where the fans start spinning very fast and sound like a turbine. Which is very annoying, and shouldn't happen because there is very little graphics going on in the dungeon lobby, so the GPU load shouldn't be at 85% to begin with.