GameGuard is GodAwful

CleverRuse

I see quite a few people complaining about que times, but I can't even launch the bloody game without restarting my computer, ending every non-essential process on my CPU, changing my NVidia settings, disabling some audio drivers, sacrificing a goat and praying to the heathen god Yog-Sothoth. And even then, I have maybe a 20% chance of it NOT giving me a 4049 error.

I even had it working fine on Thursday after about an hour of fiddling with programs and drivers and finally had my first stint of gameplay (which, for the record, I quite enjoyed) before I had to leave for work in the evening. I come back to my computer six hours later, having done absolutely nothing to it since logging off the game, and it gave me another 4049 error. No sort of update was applied to my system as I was away, no process was started nor ended, and the PC didn't even auto-sleep; it simply hung on my desktop for 6 hours and somehow that was enough to upset GameGuard to the point of locking me out yet again.

Unless I am missing some sort of very basic workaround for this issue, I have exhausted everything within my power short of reformatting my entire system to get this thing working properly. This is exceptionally frustrating since I have been looking forward to this game to finally come to our shores for the last 3 years, and now some proprietary piece of putrid programming is preventing me from playing. I can only take solace in the fact that I waited to shell out for the premium membership, and can now put that money toward a game that actually lets me play it.

Please look into other solutions for the prevention of hacking, NCSoft, because your game is very much worth paying for. I simply can't afford to sacrifice any more small farm animals to appease GameGuard's stupidly high standards. Until then, it's to the uninstall wizard I go.

Archived