(Very Low Priority) Small error with launcher's filechecking

Dalsio

This is pretty low priority because it can be worked around, may not affect anyone else (might be a fluke in my system alone), and can be fixed with a simple reinstall (though that's a lot more work than needed to fix it).

Updated to the AFK hotfix yesterday and got into the character creation and queue with relative ease, but didn't get into the game because of the queue. This morning I log in, download the newest hotfix and went into the file check phase of the launcher. I noticed it was a whole lot slower this time, but what was important was that it threw an error that a file (00008608.upk) could not be read and suggested it was open in another program, or blocked by an antivirus and stopped the filecheck. I know for a fact it was not an antivirus, so I began checking what might be accessing it and through various means came to the conclusion that nothing was accessing that file except the launcher itself, which makes sense considering it's specific to Blade and Soul. The file had no special permissions, restrictions, and was not set to read only, same as all of the other similar files in that folder. The only thing I could think of unless there's a bug in the error catching, is that the launcher was trying to access the file from two different threads simultaneously.

Strangely enough, deleting the file and allowing it to be recreated by the launcher fixed the problem, which doesn't make sense if it's a problem with threading. Oh well. While not a critical issue, I wanted to report it and all I knew about it in case this bug (if it isn't just me) pops up again at some point and causes some bigger problem for more people in the future.

Archived