Early Feedback

PublikDomain

Hey guys, not sure where feedback should go or if it'll be listened to, but here goes. Some of my experiences and desires after playing last night for a few hours.

---------------------------------

Open world PvP needs some safeguards for lower level players. I got my faction outfit and put it on right away at the Bamboo Village and went on my merry way with no problems for maybe an hour until I got to the cemetery area and started the quest about burning vampires. I grabbed my vampire and was bringing him to the pyres and got one-shot by a summoner's cat. "OK", I thought, "I was totally off-guard, my fault". Then I resurrected, found the guy that killed me, put my big-boy pants on, and.... Got one-shot again. The next time I resurrected I checked the guy's level: 10 levels higher than anyone else around. I proceeded to ditch my faction outfit and put that behind me. The guy was hanging around for something like an hour just PKing new, defenseless players.

Some options:

1. Scale PvP damage to the target's level. If I'm level 10 and punch a level 50, the level 50 takes damage equal to a level 50 punch. If a level 50 punches a level 10, the level 10 takes a level 10 punch worth of damage. Higher level players would still have an advantage; they would have more skills to use, and their skills would be leveled. However, PvP would still be primarily skill-based and not totally decided by level.

2. Have PvP restricted areas in towns or camps. Players shouldn't be able to be ganked while turning in quests or at the shop. PvP could also be restricted in some early zones, similarly to how Archeage handles it.

3. Don't provide access to PvP until a player is at a higher level. Factions were given to me at level 5 or 6, before I knew anything about them. That's way too early for me to be doing open world PvP.

There are a few other minor character creation things that should be improved, for example being able to see server populations when creating a character. I had to create 4 characters before I could get into a server that didn't have a 2500 person long queue. Each character took 6 minutes to delete, so it ended up taking me something like 30 minutes to get ingame. Some suggestions:

1. Provide server population info on server selection.

2. New, unplayed characters are not locked to a server until they successfully join a server; a new, unplayed character could change servers without having to be destroyed/re-created.

3. New, unplayed characters can be deleted instantly or with a shorter timer (~1 min).

4. Option to save appearance data from character select so that characters can be recreated on other servers.

I'd really like the option to have Korean voices with English subtitles. The game is Korean and I want to experience that. I really enjoyed playing the Atomix B&S fan-translation a few years ago.

On that same vein, it's very odd seeing the bastardized names. For example, 이병헌 (Lee Byung-Hun, a Korean actor) would be "Lee Byunghun" ingame. Anyone that's known someone from Korea knows that's wrong. The names are already in a foreign format for a western audience what with the surname first (it would be "Byunghun Lee" otherwise), so why squish the given name?

I'd like the option to disable my ability to skip cutscenes or spoken text. I'm in a habit of skipping things, but I hear the story is pretty good for Blade & Soul and I'd like to experience it. The hit-and-miss English voice-acting doesn't help my desire to press F and get it over with.

The installer was, to put it gently, "pretty ghetto". Just feels really old and outdated compared to more modern launchers. The InstallShield Wizard was a blast from the past.

The launcher seems to need UAC to launch. Double-clicking the created desktop icon (it has the yellow/blue windows UAC shield) makes Windows pop up the UAC prompt. It's a tad annoying and I'm not sure why the launcher needs that kind of permissions when other games don't.

I'm also unsure about the cause, but the game seems to run my fan pretty raw. I've got a good computer and it never gives me problems with other modern games, but for some reason the fan was constantly running hard last night. I've read around that the game's anti-cheat can cause hardware problems, which is incredibly worrying.

On the topic of the anti-cheat, I hear that aside from possible hardware complications it is also hard to uninstall and contains a rootkit, which is also incredibly worrying.

Just my $0.02

Also, there's no way to preview a post here on the forums. There also seems to be a post timer.

I forgot to mention that gold spam is very dense.

Additionally, when signing in for the first time the game prompted me for a Google Authenticator code, which I had totally forgotten about. It didn't mention that it wanted the code from Google so I had to dig around on the forums and edit my account settings to get rid of it. Even then, it still prompts me with a 6-digit pin. I've already signed in with the launcher, why must I sign in again?

When selecting a character and getting in-game, there are a bunch of popups that immediately clutter the screen. Something about buying premium stuff and another about the "daily dash" login reward system. Another small annoyance.

3 minutes ago, Loftyneko said:

I think there is already a character appearance saving feature, it's the "Manage Appearances" button (or whatever it's called) in the character creation screen.

Ah, what I meant is saving the appearance from the character select window, not in the creation screen. I wanted to copy an already made character to a new one, but couldn't get back into the character creation screen to get to the manage appearance menu. I used the Manage Appearances thing for creating my new characters when I was hunting for a good server.

Archived