Strafing broken: Character keeps turning

Aletía

After the new patch my keybinds for movement don't work properly anymore. I'm left handed, use my left hand for mouse and right hand for keyboard. I always map arrow keys for moving left, right, forward and backwards. I have turning mapped to A and D (but I don't use it, since you turn your character with mouse movement in Blade & Sould mostly).

BUG: Since today left and right arrow keys make my character move/strafe left/right AND TURN to that direction simultaneously. That turning cannot even be countered by turning the mouse in the opposite direction. Pressing A and D on the other hand will not turn the character anymore (in fact any other keys mapped to turning will not work either if strafing is mapped to arrow keys).

When I swap key mappings for moving/strafing and turning everything works: A and D for moving/strafing left/right and arrow keys (or any other key) for turning will strafe and turn separately as it's supposed to be. It looks like that bug only occurs, when you map moving left and right to arrow keys. Whichever other keys you map to turning will not work, no matter what.

This is only after today's patch. I have had my keymappings like this right from starting Blade & Soul and it has never been a problem. Sadly, game is unplayable atm for me.

Edited by Aletía

• Aletía changed the title to Strafing broken: Character keeps turning
56 minutes ago, Aletía said:

After the new patch my keybinds for movement don't work properly anymore. I'm left handed, use my left hand for mouse and right hand for keyboard. I always map arrow keys for moving left, right, forward and backwards. I have turning mapped to A and D (but I don't use it, since you turn your character with mouse movement in Blade & Sould mostly).

BUG: Since today left and right arrow keys make my character move/strafe left/right AND TURN to that direction simultaneously. That turning cannot even be countered by turning the mouse in the opposite direction. Pressing A and D on the other hand will not turn the character anymore (in fact any other keys mapped to turning will not work either if strafing is mapped to arrow keys).

When I swap key mappings for moving/strafing and turning everything works: A and D for moving/strafing left/right and arrow keys (or any other key) for turning will strafe and turn separately as it's supposed to be. It looks like that bug only occurs, when you map moving left and right to arrow keys. Whichever other keys you map to turning will not work, no matter what.

This is only after today's patch. I have had my keymappings like this right from starting Blade & Soul and it has never been a problem. Sadly, game is unplayable atm for me.

I have the same problem

• Like 1

Here you go: kNXd2c2.jpeg

As you can see I play in German language, so the keybinds are also in German. Here's a translation of the first four:

Auf = Up

Ab = Down

Li. = Left

Re. = Right

<- That's the four arrow keys

The rest of the keybinds are the same in German and English I think, except the last two are probably different due to American / European keyboard layout. But I think that's irrelevant for the bug described here, since Walking and Autorun are not affected by it...

Edited by Aletía
  • Like 1

Any help in sight for this? I would very much like to try the new Ajanara dungeon, but it's hard to do stuff in a game, the combat system of which really excels in how much situational awareness and movement is required to succeed. Arrow keys for movement and NumPad for abilities is deep in my lefty muscle memory in every game I play. Stumbling through Blade & Soul's world the way I do now is a real downer.

I have the same problem, I am attaching a video. Ignore the background noise, the video shows what it's doing anyway.
Without using the arrows the game is unplayable for me, I have a paid premium account so I would like to get some kind of reparation.
Just do an extraordinary reverse patch, because getting paying players to play is perhaps more important than one new solo dungeon.

I'm relatively new to the game, so maybe some of the more experienced players can tell me: Is it normal for bugs in a core element of the game, like if you are able to control your character's movement, stay in that long? Looks like this is going to stay over the weekend, maybe even until next patch Wednesday? Not used to that...

Thanks for the update. Can you communicate what that means in terms of time needed? I'm delaying the more complex weekly acitvities right now, hoping this gets fixed before Wednesday. If that's not to be expected, however, I would actually have to start as early as possible, because some of the stuff will take several tries in the current state of the game for me...

13 hours ago, Yaramy said:

I have the same problem with my arrow keys, is there any clue to when this will be sorted?

I hoped it would happen before next Wednesday, but I'm not so sure if my epectations are realistic whatsoever_ From talking to people ingame I got the impression that bug correction generally takes a bit longer here than in the games I played before.

If a Bug In The Last Update Is Affecting Game Play For A Number Of Players This Should Be Fixed As Soon As It's Been Reported Not 4 Days Or Even A Week Later. Even Worse For Prem Players Who Are Paying As We Never Get Compensation For Something Which Is Not Our Fault.

I pay a premium account and can't play and what does NC do? NOTHING! At the same time, this is an absolute trifle!
I'm asking for compensation for the time I can't play because it made the game unplayable for me!

Since NC obviously hates this problem, the only thing I can do is risk a ban and use a third-party program, where I can set it up so that if I press an arrow in the game, it will be mistaken for a specific letter.
You gave a clanmate a permaban for using a third-party program, specifically AutoHotkey, where he had skill rotation set.

Would you please communicate some kind of timeframe when this might be fixed? It's great the issue has been acknowledged and forwarded, thanks again for that. Knowing when the problem might actually be solved would surely greatly help and comfort the players affected by it.

I would also, like several other posters in this thread, like to know if there will be any kind of compensation, especially for those who are prevented to make normal use of their premium membership during the times they could not play properly.

Left-handed persons playing games always have an extra mile to go, since most games do have a standard configuration of controls set for right handers, but very few have the option to switch that standard to left-handed, since key settings for that are simply not provided by most games. So there's a significant amount of time necessary to set up a game to even work for us in the first place, if the game doesn't offer a left-handed standard. Most of the lefties I talk to end up using arrow keys for character movement. Encountering a bug like the one now is extra frustrating for those reasons.

I personally don't even buy games unless checking gaming forums beforehand and doing search engine queries to verify that key game controls can be remapped for left-handed players. Some games have arrow keys as fixed functions and thus cannot be remapped for movement - I can and will not buy those games. I double checked on that before starting Blade & Soul as well. It was a key element for my decision to start the game (and spend money on it as I went along playing). Sadly, in the current state of the game that research would end differently than it did when I started.

I say this as an enthusiastic supporter of the game in all the communities I'm active in, because I think that this game is often pretty underrated looking at the many things this game excels in: Combat is so very intuitive and rewarding, immersive gaming experience as a whole, great graphics, clever world-design and storytelling with surprising twists you seldom get in AAA titles. I would very much like to continue enjoying all that.

• NCSOFT
On 8/13/2022 at 7:13 AM, Yaramy said:

It should be a easy fix as it was a small update on wednesday they can see it is affecting a number of players!!!

This is not how it works. First, Wednesday's relatively small update took a while to put together by various teams, so the size is not always representative of the efforts. Secondly, finding the cause of an unexpected behavior is not always as easy as it sounds. It could be a few lines of code to fix, or complicated behavior that requires deep diving into code and code deployment.

21 hours ago, Aletía said:

Would you please communicate some kind of timeframe when this might be fixed? It's great the issue has been acknowledged and forwarded, thanks again for that. Knowing when the problem might actually be solved would surely greatly help and comfort the players affected by it.

Unfortunately, I do not have more information to share at this point. We do want to try to fix this, but we usually do not provide an estimate of when a fix could become available. As I said above, it takes some investigation from various teams, so it's difficult to say how long a given bug will take to fix.

2 hours ago, Green Storm said:

Unfortunately, I do not have more information to share at this point. We do want to try to fix this, but we usually do not provide an estimate of when a fix could become available. As I said above, it takes some investigation from various teams, so it's difficult to say how long a given bug will take to fix.

Thanks for the update either way. Would be much appreciated if you could give an update once teams have analyzed if it's said few lines of code or mutliple interdependent systems doing unexpected things, which ofc is any coder's nightmare.

Would it be possible to set premium membership on hold somehow for players affected until the bug is fixed?

• NCSOFT
4 hours ago, Aletía said:

Would it be possible to set premium membership on hold somehow for players affected until the bug is fixed?

I am not aware of any feature to do that. But I would encourage you to contact the Customer Support Team to double check (see link at the top of the website).

I look at today's maintenance description and it doesn't even have this issue listed as a known issue, so nothing again?! I won't be able to play for the next week? Will I wait a month, two months, or a year?!
Was it such a problem when this problem appeared, to simply do a reverse patch that would bring the game back to pre-update state? One dungeon was added, so Holt would be added later, but the games would be playable. The game has been unplayable for a week, mainly because there is a new dungeon and the Whales have new gear, they really need it...

Please do something about it!
Is there any guarantee that if I use a 3rd party program to bypass control, I won't get banned like my clanmate?

Why Hasent This Striding Bug Been Sorted? You have had a week and after todays update it is still the same, maybe some needs a swift kick to get it sorted and your making my game and others very hard to play. Not Happy with NC as a 6yr Prem Player This Is Not Good.

• NCSOFT
1 hour ago, Yaramy said:

Why Hasent This Striding Bug Been Sorted? You have had a week and after todays update it is still the same, maybe some needs a swift kick to get it sorted and your making my game and others very hard to play. Not Happy with NC as a 6yr Prem Player This Is Not Good.

Please share your feedback respectfully. I understand the frustration but this is not a reason to ask for someone to get a "swift kick". This goes against the Forums' Code of Conduct, that I encourage you to read carefully.

I already mentioned above that we're working on it and that's all I can say for now. I'm sorry that this is affecting your game experience!

26 minutes ago, Green Storm said:

I already mentioned above that we're working on it and that's all I can say for now. I'm sorry that this is affecting your game experience!

It doesn't affect the experience of the game, it makes the game completely unplayable! The main thing is that you take money from the players!