Now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what NC West

Sn00zE

19 minutes ago, Laura099 said:

Normally the westernized company will have some leverage over the Korean, as it's....well the majority of the worlds population. They won't be the boss, but they can often make demands of their own. Their relationship was originally developer - developer for the masses (in order to expand profits, the westerns would change certain aspects to make it more appealing), but in classic NC style, that got dumped to Devloper - ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ relationship.

Tencent did indeed develop bns content on their own for their region which obviously they have the right to since they are the publisher there so they can do with the game what they want in their region but they had nothing to do with developing the actual game itself.

Edit: Errr wait you are talking about nc west and korea.. i didn't read that throughly and thought you are also talking about tencent since you wrote developer - developer relationship. Writing that about ncwest and nckorea doesn't make any sense at all that's just plain wrong. ncwest never developed anything on their own they are just ncs branch for the west to publish bns. They are just employees of the same company and as such can't make demands like an actual different publisher, all they can do is make suggestions and forward our feedback to nckorea.

Edited by Cor

27 minutes ago, Cor said:

Tencent did indeed develop bns content on their own for their region which obviously they have the right to since they are the publisher there so they can do with the game what they want in their region but they had nothing to do with developing the actual game itself.

Edit: Errr wait you are talking about nc west and korea.. i didn't read that throughly and thought you are also talking about tencent since you wrote developer - developer relationship. Writing that about ncwest and nckorea doesn't make any sense at all that's just plain wrong. ncwest never developed anything on their own they are just ncs branch for the west to publish bns. They are just employees of the same company and as such can't make demands like an actual different publisher, all they can do is make suggestions and forward our feedback to nckorea.

Wait yeah, you're right. NCWest would be the middleman for Tencent to get permission and clarification from. The arrangement still has validation, NCWest would still make demands, development and most of the ideas put to the plate would be Tencents though. Still, West is meant to make arrangements for the wider audience via their own publisher, said publisher would go through West, ask about changes, what they could do, how much they could do, then West would go to Soft saying this is what they want out there, can we have them do it?

Sorry about that, forgot Tencent was the publisher in the first place. Sometimes KR companies like to make a western branch that's exclusively a publisher, if not just go through an pre-existing publisher themselves.

Edited by Laura099

1 minute ago, Laura099 said:

Wait yeah, you're right. NCWest would be the middleman for Tencent to get permission and clarification from. The arrangement still has validation, NCWest would still make demands, development and most of the ideas put to the plate would be Tencents though. Still, West is meant to make arrangements for the wider audience via their own publisher, said publisher would go through West, ask about changes, what they could do, how much they could do, then West would go to Soft saying this is what they want out there, can we have them do it?

What no how do you even get that idea? Why the heck would a western branch of a korean company be the middleman for a chinese company? ncwest has nothing to do with tencent whatsoever. Seriously i have no idea how you people keep coming up with such weird ideas. good night i've read enough nonsense for today.

1 minute ago, Cor said:

What no how do you even get that idea? Why the heck would a western branch of a korean company be the middleman for a chinese company? ncwest has nothing to do with tencent whatsoever. Seriously i have no idea how you people keep coming up with such weird ideas. good night i've read enough nonsense for today.

Wait hold on I have to recollect for a moment. I talked about west and soft, somehow Tencent got mixed in on the quote, I thought you were talking about the publisher in West because you said West had no involvement with development, but either the publisher or West themselves assuming they aren't the publisher had to have involvement in development since our game to start was very very very different from KR, and the early western development still shows today.
Right, Tencent is the big company that bought a ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ton of companies and other investments. So they're irrelevant. Let's remove them from the equation, twas a little mix up. Only invalidates the name in my statement, nothing else.
If West was indeed the publisher...then back to the first point.

2 hours ago, Cupidstar said:

Doesn't Tencent own NCSoft?

No? Tencent only operates the Chinese servers for BNS, and has no stake in NCSoft as far as I can tell with Google searches. They have no say or authority over any other region: if they decide to shut down the China servers, it would not mean NA and EU also shut down. I'm not sure where you got these ideas, and based on other posts, you have no idea how a publishing agreement even works.

1 hour ago, Laura099 said:

Wait hold on I have to recollect for a moment. I talked about west and soft, somehow Tencent got mixed in on the quote, I thought you were talking about the publisher in West because you said West had no involvement with development, but either the publisher or West themselves assuming they aren't the publisher had to have involvement in development since our game to start was very very very different from KR, and the early western development still shows today.
Right, Tencent is the big company that bought a ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ton of companies and other investments. So they're irrelevant. Let's remove them from the equation, twas a little mix up. Only invalidates the name in my statement, nothing else.
If West was indeed the publisher...then back to the first point.

The relationship between all these companies is as follows based on my understanding:
-NCSoft in Korea is the overall owner of BNS. They're the primary developer, they create virtually all of the content and features, and are the final say as far as Blade and Soul goes for it worldwide.
-NCWest is their NA and EU branch. They used to have a separate branch just for EU, but they were merged into NCWest before we got BNS. They manage the NA and EU servers and apply updates and support to those servers, adding little to no content of their own other then translation to other languages. They are completely owned by NCSoft however, and answer directly to them. Supposedly they used to have a lot more say, but now they seem to only apply patches mindlessly to the game, sparking all these threads about broken things.

-Tencent operates the Chinese server. Unlike NCWest, they do have some say over content they get, and have a few unique features, though it is unclear if they developed them personally, or requested NCSoft to produce the patches for them. They do not seem to have a stake in NCSoft, or if they do, it's a relatively small stake without much control in the matter.

-Another company operates the Russian servers, though I'm not sure of their name. Much like Tencent, they operate that server and that server alone, but do not seem to have any unique features, though we have seen cost differences for things in the past for upgrades and events suggesting they do have a bit more say then NCWest does.

-Netmarble (not mentioned yet, but worth it for the sake of completion) operates BNS Revolution for mobile devices. They actually DO have a stake in NCSoft, about 8-9%, but have not used this to influence BNS on PC as far as anyone can tell.

I hope this clears it up and resolves the debates in this topic.

37 minutes ago, LynMasterRace said:

No? Tencent only operates the Chinese servers for BNS, and has no stake in NCSoft as far as I can tell with Google searches. They have no say or authority over any other region: if they decide to shut down the China servers, it would not mean NA and EU also shut down. I'm not sure where you got these ideas, and based on other posts, you have no idea how a publishing agreement even works.

This was addressed before

1 hour ago, LynMasterRace said:

The relationship between all these companies is as follows based on my understanding:
-NCSoft in Korea is the overall owner of BNS. They're the primary developer, they create virtually all of the content and features, and are the final say as far as Blade and Soul goes for it worldwide.
-NCWest is their NA and EU branch. They used to have a separate branch just for EU, but they were merged into NCWest before we got BNS. They manage the NA and EU servers and apply updates and support to those servers, adding little to no content of their own other then translation to other languages. They are completely owned by NCSoft however, and answer directly to them. Supposedly they used to have a lot more say, but now they seem to only apply patches mindlessly to the game, sparking all these threads about broken things.

-Tencent operates the Chinese server. Unlike NCWest, they do have some say over content they get, and have a few unique features, though it is unclear if they developed them personally, or requested NCSoft to produce the patches for them. They do not seem to have a stake in NCSoft, or if they do, it's a relatively small stake without much control in the matter.

-Another company operates the Russian servers, though I'm not sure of their name. Much like Tencent, they operate that server and that server alone, but do not seem to have any unique features, though we have seen cost differences for things in the past for upgrades and events suggesting they do have a bit more say then NCWest does.

-Netmarble (not mentioned yet, but worth it for the sake of completion) operates BNS Revolution for mobile devices. They actually DO have a stake in NCSoft, about 8-9%, but have not used this to influence BNS on PC as far as anyone can tell.

I hope this clears it up and resolves the debates in this topic.

Correct, this is the current observation of BnS as a whole. Originally, although NCSoft still had the final say, NCWest would push for ideas or their own form of development based on statistics that NCSoft would approve. While different from the Chinese servers which were for the most part wholly independent, NCSoft left certain affairs to West (like upgrading, since westerners statistically disdain rng upgrades, NCWest proposed the idea of higher cost guaranteed evolution, and Soft gave the okay). Now it's a puppet company unable to make any propositions and is just another building for NCSoft.
Then you had the Tai servers and other which have since shut down, and the ocean servers were, instead of being made as a separate server as was initially intended, also got pushed onto West, but never run to my knowledge.