UE4 Performance - Community Tips & Tricks

Hime

• NCSOFT

Hello Cricket,
We’ve compiled a list of community reported suggestions to resolve some of the game performance issues some of you have been experiencing.  

The game has low/unplayable FPS. / Game plays frame by frame.

• Check your computer’s audio output device. If you have an Oculus device it may have switched to that or another output device that isn’t your default. Change the output device back to your usual.
  • Reduce the Shadow Quality in the game: Settings > Graphics > Advanced Settings.
  • Reduce the Object Display/Visibility in the game: Settings > Graphics > Advanced Settings.

The game looks blurry.

• Increase Resolution Quality and uncheck Bloom and Volumetric Fog Effect in the game: Settings > Graphics > Advanced Settings.

Playing on laptop has low FPS.

• Check your NVIDIA Settings and make sure it’s not trying to run the game on the integrated graphics

Gamepad/Controller Support is no longer available.

If you have any other recommendations for your fellow player, please share it below and we’ll update this thread. Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

ok, since its going to be a thread to help others, some have find this trick have made them fix their low fps on raids even with high end setups

You'll need to disable FTH in windows

To disable Fault Tolerant Heap entirely on a system, set the REG_DWORD value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\FTH\Enabled to 0.

After changing this value, restart the system. FTH will no longer activate for new applications.

and
Rundll32.exe fthsvc.dll,FthSysprepSpecialize
in cmd resets list of apps tracked by FTH if some programs were acc fixed by it they might not work again tho

some ppl got this value to 0, if its the case enabled it to 1

and check if there is still some issue

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Azzuray said:

it is an oldie, but atm more needed then ever. There is a good chance for 3 start crashes atm = FTH will trigger = bad performance. You try Win11 = you got regular system updates = your FTH settings will be rested quite often.

For me it took 1-2 days after update until FTH hit in and on the stuttering run for Koldrak BnS decided I would run some suspicious software and terminated the client, lol

It's rather the object display visibility value what can cause mass fps dropp and it seems to be a bugged settings.
Even if its reduced to zero some objects are still remain and those are absolutly harmless to the fps, but regardless those should be removed by the setting value aswell so.

I’ve played on the other regions early UE4  patches and experienced similar issues. The shadow quality issue was fixed in KR at a later update, when should we expect to get that one? I suggest keeping Object Visibility on 1 or not higher than 2 and for now Shadow Quality on 1.

What do you guys do, when your GPU isn't utilized?

Like in "The Cardinal Gates" "login Spawnpoint, my GPU is idling while my CPU is limiting. Resulting in less than 30 fps. Setting = 3 +"Performance Mode"

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 1,3V 4Ghz All-Core
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 @ 1,375V 3200
ASUS Rog Strix Vega 64 OC @ 1700mhz 1,1V
Gigabyte X470 AORUS UG
Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB NVME @ Win 10 19043.1237 + Launcher + Game
BE QUIET Straight Power 11 650w
Phanteks Eclipse P600S

Main-temps are below 70°C, sub-temp are below 50°C

don't telle me to change from iGPU to dGPU, like the Support xD, Ryzen 5 2600 doens't have an APU

Edited by WilliamPoll

23 hours ago, WilliamPoll said:

What do you guys do, when your GPU isn't utilized?

Like in "The Cardinal Gates" "login Spawnpoint, my GPU is idling while my CPU is limiting. Resulting in less than 30 fps. Setting = 3 +"Performance Mode"

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 1,3V 4Ghz All-Core
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 @ 1,375V 3200
ASUS Rog Strix Vega 64 OC @ 1700mhz 1,1V
Gigabyte X470 AORUS UG
Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB NVME @ Win 10 19043.1237 + Launcher + Game
BE QUIET Straight Power 11 650w
Phanteks Eclipse P600S

Main-temps are below 70°C, sub-temp are below 50°C

don't telle me to change from iGPU to dGPU, like the Support xD, Ryzen 5 2600 doens't have an APU

The CPU is a little lackluster, but I doubt there's a bottleneck there. There's no reason you should be getting less then 30 FPS.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, Azzuray said:

ok, since its going to be a thread to help others, some have find this trick have made them fix their low fps on raids even with high end setups

To disable Fault Tolerant Heap entirely on a system, set the REG_DWORD value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\FTH\Enabled to 0.

After changing this value, restart the system. FTH will no longer activate for new applications.

and
Rundll32.exe fthsvc.dll,FthSysprepSpecialize
in cmd resets list of apps tracked by FTH if some programs were acc fixed by it they might not work again tho

some ppl got this value to 0, if its the case enabled it to 1

and check if there is still some issue

i heard many player recommended this one but is it gona affect the other games or not? 

Im having a lot of lag issues.

Numbers in 12man raid:

Players on - ~10 FPS

Players off - ~20 FPS

I have yet to ever reach 120 FPS at any point, atleast to my knowledge.

Usually hovers around 80 with players off outside of fights.

Other symptoms:

Lags while opening chests

Expanding UI (Hiding with CTRL+X adds about 10 fps)

Hovering over Items

Opening Menus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbRmsPrOw2A - Please note that Youtube makes it look even smoother than it actually is).

Steps I tried(Possibly forgot something)

Tested many different combinations of the Nvidia settings (Control Panel).

Tested all imaginable ingame settings, including resolution etc.

Disabled preety much all software running in the background.

Driver Updates

BIOS Updates

Toggled a lot of functionality in BIOS for testing.

Changed installation directory

Tested around with Core Affinity / Process Priority.

Swapped Audio devices

Deleted ClientConfigration.xml

Disabled FTH

Overclocking

Cleared Shader Cache

Tested older drivers

Enforced different VSync-Modes via Nvidia CP

Specs:

CPU: i9 7900x

Tested with 3ghz and 4.8ghz, difference is within margin of error (very minor, ~5fps outside of combat)

GPU: RTX 3080

RAM: 64GB 3200 / CL14

I would appreciate any assistance, suggestions etc. The way it plays now isnt endurable for long.

Spoiler

Even Cyberpunk runs way smoother than this. Bruh.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kokoa Cawfee said:

I would appreciate any assistance, suggestions etc. The way it plays now isnt endurable for long.

What resolution are you playing the game at? Have you unlocked the FPS in the client config?(Game defaults max to 120 FPS)

Have you tried unparking your CPU? Have you tried setting power mode to maximum performance on your PC?

Have you added the game directory as exception to antivirus and windows defender?

What are your nvidia control panel settings for bns?

Have you turned on gaming mode in windows 10?

Disabled bluetooth? Disabled xbox game bar in windows 10?

Checked if the game has any weird compatibility settings turned on?

Installed / updated essentially all the c++ redistributable packages from microsoft?

The UI lag is pretty much normal and you cant rreally fix it.

Edited by Grimoir

17 hours ago, Grimoir said:

What resolution are you playing the game at? Have you unlocked the FPS in the client config?(Game defaults max to 120 FPS)

Have you tried unparking your CPU? Have you tried setting power mode to maximum performance on your PC?

Have you added the game directory as exception to antivirus and windows defender?

Installed / updated essentially all the c++ redistributable packages from microsoft?

The UI lag is pretty much normal and you cant rreally fix it.

Heyo! Thanks for your input!
I will just go through ur points 1 by 1 below:

-> Default WQHD but have tested multiple resolutions, even 640x480 - No improvements.

-> Also tested around with FPS cap and have it on 120 preety much always.
-> Yes to both.

-> I have temporarily disabled AV for testing purposes.
-> I have tested around in the nvidia CP for multiple hours, I would like to say that I hopefully tested all settings.
-> I have yet to try this, as I have personally thrown the gaming mode into the "this stuff sucks"-corner. 

-> I will try it tho! Will let you know how it goes.
-> Nope, good idea though! I remember hearing that it F's up some games.
-> Will let you know how it goes!
-> Edit: Yes, I have disabled the game bar :)...
-> Yes, I have also tryed multiple compability modes, all without success.
-> Yes, I have all the common dependencies Installed, since I have Visual Studio installed on my PC.

As said above, I will let you know how the above, non tested bullet points, work out!

Cheers,

Kokoa

Edited by Kokoa Cawfee

On 9/21/2021 at 3:14 AM, Belido said:

tbh it is easier just to set the flag to disable it and I haven't ever seen any issues from having FTH disabled so far

as far as i understand the only possible issue is that applications that are currently functioning properly may begin to crash again after disabling FTH.

14 hours ago, AxeofDawn said:

as far as i understand the only possible issue is that applications that are currently functioning properly may begin to crash again after disabling FTH.

for me the only application with odd issues causing bursts of crashes (start issue) is BnS and having it on for BnS sucks. So np for me to disable that at all.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:50 AM, Kokoa Cawfee said:

Disabled FTH

1. Just asking to be sure, you have also flushed/deleted the old FTH List by using a console command under admin rights?

2. Windows 10 Settings->System->Display, there is a scale option, you keep it at 100%? if not, well at least I was running in some odd lag/performance issues in the past, so I suggest 100%.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:24 AM, Belido said:

1. Just asking to be sure, you have also flushed/deleted the old FTH List by using a console command under admin rights?

2. Windows 10 Settings->System->Display, there is a scale option, you keep it at 100%? if not, well at least I was running in some odd lag/performance issues in the past, so I suggest 100%.

Correct, also cleared FTH list and triple checked that its not active / still on somehow.
Also tried different scalings, even made some custom resolutions just to experiment, no success.

An Update to my previous Post @Grimoir (Sorry for the long delay! Busy week :o)-

"Disabled bluetooth? Disabled xbox game bar in windows 10?"
-> Sadly did not help.

"Have you turned on gaming mode in windows 10?"
-> No success either :(

I have tried some unofficial methods to remove animations, that helped a bit, but it is nowhere close to good fps.

I fear that the only possible fixes left at this point are in the Hands of the developers.
There just seems to be some compability Issues with my hardware or something, at this point I dont really know anymore.

New CPU generation is around the corner, maybe that one will help - But that is a really long shot.

• Like 1

=nothing you mentioned above didn't help.    in open word everything works smoothly even on max settings while in dungeons, fps drops to 0 once players hit the boss. 

Why amazons  new world  runs without issue  on max setting.  Archeage  works  even  old lineage2 works without  crits but here  freeze after freeze 

8 hours ago, MorganClaus said:

=nothing you mentioned above didn't help.    in open word everything works smoothly even on max settings while in dungeons, fps drops to 0 once players hit the boss. 

Why amazons  new world  runs without issue  on max setting.  Archeage  works  even  old lineage2 works without  crits but here  freeze after freeze 

Other games have their own problems. Such as New World still bricking some GPU's.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, Kokoa Cawfee said:

I have tried some unofficial methods to remove animations, that helped a bit, but it is nowhere close to good fps.

I fear that the only possible fixes left at this point are in the Hands of the developers.
There just seems to be some compability Issues with my hardware or something, at this point I dont really know anymore.

There are 2 things left, although it can be quite a longshot:

Ram: You say your ram runs at 3200, you get that from windows or bios or from a more reliable source such as hwinfo?

In other games there seemed to have been issues with the CPU that you have. Untill in the affinity settings people unmarked CPU19. Might be worth a shot. 

On 10/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, Grimoir said:

Other games have their own problems. Such as New World still bricking some GPU's.

There are 2 things left, although it can be quite a longshot:

Ram: You say your ram runs at 3200, you get that from windows or bios or from a more reliable source such as hwinfo?

In other games there seemed to have been issues with the CPU that you have. Untill in the affinity settings people unmarked CPU19. Might be worth a shot. 

I enabled the XMP profile and checked via software.
I don't remember if it was with HWMonitor or HWInfo, but it def was running at 3200 (I recall it being a different number due to how its displayed and upon research I confimed that it translated to 3200).

I will make sure to try disabling CPU19 once im home!
This CPU was the biggest mistake I ever made - So much power, but it just never works out in Gaming 😢 (Except the AAA titles, those rock).

Will let you know how it goes!

Good morning all

Well, the UE4 is bad for now.  Cooler of my pc gamer allways in high rpm when im playing bns. Its horrible. Dont tell me that is my pc please. I play other games UE4 with 2 account at the same time and the cooler not is in high rpm. Sad this.

Im sttoping to play for a while, sorry.

9 hours ago, Percival said:

Well, the UE4 is bad for now.  Cooler of my pc gamer allways in high rpm when im playing bns. Its horrible. Dont tell me that is my pc please.

No matter how much the load of BnS is, it is your PC. A solid cooling setup can cool down any BnS load without a hairdryer sound.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, MorganClaus said:

this sounds like Windows triggered FTH for the BnS client, this happens if you had multiple crashes before. Search the Forum for FTH workarounds.