Text/Font Size

KSib

On 9/8/2021 at 8:18 PM, KSib said:

Is there a way to make the text size larger on all of the UI elements? It's like 2-3 px too small for everything even with the UI Scale set to 100.

You can go to your documents/bns/ncwest folder and change it in the ClientConfigurations.xml file. Right click and go to edit, in the file change the UI scale (should be near the top under joypad) to around 150. I set mine to 200 cause I have a 4K tv, but it’s a little big now so I’m going to lower it to maybe 175. Save the file, then open the game and your UI will be larger.

make sure you set up everything you have to to have in the in-game interface tab before hand. Saving any thing after that in that tab will revert your UI back to 100 and you’ll have to reset it in the config file. Hopefully they will increase the slider in-game to at least 300.

1 minute ago, Laichronus said:

You can go to your documents/bns/ncwest folder and change it in the ClientConfigurations.xml file. Right click and go to edit, in the file change the UI scale (should be near the top under joypad) to around 150. I set mine to 200 cause I have a 4K tv, but it’s a little big now so I’m going to lower it to maybe 175. Save the file, then open the game and your UI will be larger.

make sure you set up everything you have to to have in the in-game interface tab before hand. Saving any thing after that in that tab will revert your UI back to 100 and you’ll have to reset it in the config file. Hopefully they will increase the slider in-game to at least 300.

This will increase the text size too btw.

2 hours ago, Laichronus said:

I was expecting this one to work because I was thinking to do something like this. I just didn't know where the configuration file was, but it doesn't seem to increase it past 100 even if I set it to 150 or 200. Visually, it looks the same. Strange. I wonder if another setting is preventing it from taking. I have UI Scale Fixed off. I did notice that setting the resolution in fullscreen or windowed fullscreen doesn't actually seem to change the resolution of the game at all either. That part seems like a bug.

15 hours ago, KSib said:

I was expecting this one to work because I was thinking to do something like this. I just didn't know where the configuration file was, but it doesn't seem to increase it past 100 even if I set it to 150 or 200. Visually, it looks the same. Strange. I wonder if another setting is preventing it from taking. I have UI Scale Fixed off. I did notice that setting the resolution in fullscreen or windowed fullscreen doesn't actually seem to change the resolution of the game at all either. That part seems like a bug.

That’s weird mine is working fine when I edit and save the file. I wonder if you have a duplicate config file some where that the game is using, like maybe in your user profile.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:30 PM, Hime said:

Not at the moment. I thought it was just me the font was small...

We've sent the issue up to the dev team about making the text/font bigger.

I think the problem is with the font itself... Maybe add JP Font? That would be good.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:18 PM, KSib said:

Is there a way to make the text size larger on all of the UI elements? It's like 2-3 px too small for everything even with the UI Scale set to 100.

My fonts seem to be HUGE and I am trying to get the UI to work properly too.

It seems that my UI just decides to do weird things and I am perplexed as to what I am suppose to do.

For example: my quest log fits under my mini map, then the next moment it won't return to the size in which it

was previously, meaning it is WAY larger and goes OVER most of the right of my whole screen, then I have to open up the UI and manually size it back to a smaller size.

Yesterday I had to fix this issue more that 6 times.. ;_;

27 minutes ago, Mewling said:

My fonts seem to be HUGE and I am trying to get the UI to work properly too.

It seems that my UI just decides to do weird things and I am perplexed as to what I am suppose to do.

For example: my quest log fits under my mini map, then the next moment it won't return to the size in which it

was previously, meaning it is WAY larger and goes OVER most of the right of my whole screen, then I have to open up the UI and manually size it back to a smaller size.

Yesterday I had to fix this issue more that 6 times.. ;_;

Ok, I believe I found a fix; not sure if everything I did actually does anything, but it’s working. Like WilliamPoll said, uncheck the “UI Scale Fixed” in the interface tab and scale down to the desired setting; apply & save.

If that fails (this is what I did for my 4K screen), follow the same steps above except this time scale down to the lowest setting; apply & save. Then close the game, go back into your config file and change your scale (I set it to 4K) and save. Once you open the game you should be able to freely adjust the scale however you want (set mine to 87). This should be permanent too, so you won’t need to go back into the config file.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Laichronus said:

Ok, I believe I found a fix; not sure if everything I did actually does anything, but it’s working. Like WilliamPoll said, uncheck the “UI Scale Fixed” in the interface tab and scale down to the desired setting; apply & save.

If that fails (this is what I did for my 4K screen), follow the same steps above except this time scale down to the lowest setting; apply & save. Then close the game, go back into your config file and change your scale (I set it to 4K) and save. Once you open the game you should be able to freely adjust the scale however you want (set mine to 87). This should be permanent too, so you won’t need to go back into the config file.

Edit: changed (I set it to 4K) to (I set it to 150) for the config file UI edit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, Laichronus said:

That’s weird mine is working fine when I edit and save the file. I wonder if you have a duplicate config file some where that the game is using, like maybe in your user profile.

Nope, same one. When I change it in game, that's the file that gets modified.

I'm not too worried about it anymore. They said it's a known issue they are working on so I'll check it out at that time when it's patched. Thanks though!

• Like 1

Yes please, please make the text larger!  

I can only barely read it and late in the day I can't read it at all.  I now totally ignore all player chat since it's too small for me to read.  I have computer glasses, and they are very good, but honestly that chat is just way too tiny.   

The quest text (right side of screen) is also too small.  I'm struggling to make it out.  If I'm tired I actually have to use a magnifying glass to be able to read it.  Mostly I do the J key and bring that up, it's a little bit larger that way.   The UI text is just way too small.   

Click on the letter... Um, what letter?  Just a sec I need the magnifying glass to find it.  (This is literal, not sarcastic.)  To me it's not much more than a dot... 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I had to find some really old screenshots to prove to myself that I am not going crazy as I feel this game years ago had a much more readable UI.

The most offending parts of the UI is the quest tracker, where not only the font size is extremely small, the spacing between each line is ridiculously large for no reason.  Also the number displayed on top of the red and green bar is quite literally unreadable, due to their small size and also the color blends into the background.

Can we get some official words on this problem?  I know the devs in KR probably aren't aware of the English font size problem, and I'd like to see NCWest should have pushed this ticket harder that results in some kind of change.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I stopped to play the game for a long while because of this problem (or rather: because of my eyes hurt!)

Now I tried to change the config file, but the font is still too small or the rendering makes it hard to read (sometimes it's impossible to read). Especially the names above the characters, the speech bubbles and LP numbers.

Is there any update to this problem? @Hime

Or does anyone know some other solutions?
I wish we could use the old UI - it was perfect!!