Gamepad / Controller Support ?!

Zatsujiin

Ok back , made my gamepad works pretty like before again with Ds4Windows and did my daylies.

But i also need to work with the azerty keyboard issue cause i'm french and it's like a custom profile because i need to remap ingame 1234 & 5678 into other secondary keys.

I can explain if needed how to to it with 2 Ds4windows profiles 😉

Edited by Psykill

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Fat Cat said:

The calls for xinput (the api that handles xbox controllers) have not changed at all. Literally all NCSoft needed to do was copy and paste the handler then rewrite a few of the ue3 game lines to ue4. It honestly would have taken 10 minutes if that - UE4 even has native support for it and it takes a few minutes to setup even without doing the former.

I was really disappointed in finding out controller support had been removed too, and I honestly wasn't expecting it to blow up like this. They removed core functionality of a game that had it for years, it's really dumb to remove such a function. While we wait for any kind of update or resolution to this from NCWest, i've been using a program called antimicro, you can program it to work in the exact same way as old controller support - it converts your controller buttons to keyboard maps. The problem with using 3rd party apps though, is that they could get us banned, especially if xigncode anticheat is ever re-activated and there are always instances where things just don't work as they should, as opposed to inbuilt controller support.

Hoping that @Hime can sort this out with the devs asap.

It's interesting that the ui and sticks still work if your last setup was with a gamepad in ue3. It suggests the functionality is still there. I would suggest one thing: Don't change any settings if you still have the gamepad ui and you can move around, instead, copy "xinput1_3.dll" from "/windows/system32" and paste it into "BNSR/Binaries/Win64" then restart the game and see if the old keybindings work. If that doesn't work, try it again with "xinput1_4.dll". Doing that might let you use the old controller keybindings as well as look around and move. If you've already lost the ui and the sticks won't do anything in-game then this has no chance of working.

Other than that, it's out of our hands.

I guess we'll have to resort to 3rd party apps for controller support from now on because this method didn't enable it unfortunately.  At least in my case.

• Like 1

Same here, i invested time and money in this game because it was one of the few MMORPGs publicized for having very decent controller support.

Having it removed all of a sudden, besides being a baffling decision that makes me wonder if NCSoft even understands it's own players, leaves me feeling like i've been hoodwinked.

There's not that much i can do besides extensively complaining but if this doesn't change soon they'll lose me as a paying customer for good.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AkiaWalker said:

I've never played with anything but controller. It was one of the reasons I used to love this game. Been playing since day one.

And now they just remove it?

I submitted a ticked and they just replied: "Upon checking, it appears that it's intended that Gamepads/Controllers are no longer supported in the UE4 Build of Blade and Soul. We hope this info helps."

No, it doesn't.

Literally just send them this link

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.26/en-US/InteractiveExperiences/Input/

• Like 2

I tried using the keyboard and mouse and for me it is very uncomfortable, my hands start to cramp up. I am in my 50s and using a controller is better for my hands, no pain or stiffness,  I only play mmo games that support gamepad/controller. The dev team are real idiots for removing the feature in a game that has been there since beta. If controller support is not going to be put back in bns I have no choice but to quit a game I really like to play and instead go play more Tera which was the first mmo game I played going on 7 years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Princess Pixi said:

I tried using the keyboard and mouse and for me it is very uncomfortable, my hands start to cramp up. I am in my 50s and using a controller is better for my hands, no pain or stiffness,  I only play mmo games that support gamepad/controller. The dev team are real idiots for removing the feature in a game that has been there since beta. If controller support is not going to be put back in bns I have no choice but to quit a game I really like to play and instead go play more Tera which was the first mmo game I played going on 7 years.

It's being put back in, Hime confirmed it here. Don't know when but she said it's a priority so hopefully soon. It would take minutes for one person to do, but it's NCSoft we're talking about. Hime is doing a good job with the community and getting our concerns heard since ue4 though - let's trust that she'll get it sorted for us quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ya I am not goin back in until this is fixed... i CANNOT kBm games due to injury... it literally puts me in pain playing anything over 30 minutes... why i ONLY play games that uses a controller... and if NCSOFT does not want to fix this issue... then i wont be back in... and i was part of the founding group that preinstalled this game before release... was a good run... good luck to you all

Sorry for necroposting, but i just came back to BnS after being gone for a while, to find out it didn't have controller support. That's harsh. You guys could probably create a JoyToKey config, or xpadder config that would work. It's been so long i don't even remember what the controls were..

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 1:20 AM, Fat Cat said:

It's being put back in, Hime confirmed it here. Don't know when but she said it's a priority so hopefully soon. It would take minutes for one person to do, but it's NCSoft we're talking about. Hime is doing a good job with the community and getting our concerns heard since ue4 though - let's trust that she'll get it sorted for us quickly.

Yeahhhhhh... It's been quite a while now. Doesn't feel like a priority to me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just came back to the game, found out controller support was removed a long time ago. However when i play the game all of the skill icons are still using the gamepad icons and now i have to slowly map out which controller buttons match up to the keys on the keyboard since i have no way to turn it off apparently. How is this not fixed yet?? If you remove a feature at least fully remove the feature, don't leave stuff in the game that will no longer work correctly after only part of the thing is removed

since there seems to be no real reason to remove the feature in the first place, and they havnt said a word on the subject since, Im betting they removed it just to regenerate buzz about the game in hopes to refresh the playerbase or something. Since when does a game need to REMOVE a core feature that has been in the game since forever ago just to update it? specially when theres evidence of it still working somewhat if you had the settings setup to use it before the update. its BS. came back for the UE4 update. no controller support made me at least 80% more likely to quit before i get much into it again.

On 3/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, tayoka said:

If you remove a feature at least fully remove the feature, don't leave stuff in the game that will no longer work correctly after only part of the thing is removed

This is on brand with BNS.

UE3 used to have Razer Chroma RGB support, and it was secretly removed.

However, it was half-removed, and would try to use it if the Razer SDK was installed.

This caused the game to crash immediately, FOREVER!

You would have to uninstall the Razer SDK for the game to start.

Another thing that's half removed is CTRL+I, to see the upgrade paths.

It exists in the game, but it's broken and unusable.

• NCSOFT

The team decided a few months ago to bring back gamepad support. However, this means that the system requires redevelopment for the UE4 game client.

I'm going to check with the team if there's any progress I can share with you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rynara said:

The team decided a few months ago to bring back gamepad support. However, this means that the system requires redevelopment for the UE4 game client.

Thanks!

On 3/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, Rynara said:

Thank you, looking forward to seeing updates on this issue.

BnS was my favorite MMO back when it launched, and I only took a break from it since I completed all content (at the time). I wanted to get back into it when the UE4 update dropped, but couldn't fix the BSOD issue until now. It was unfortunate to log in finally and having no controls.

Like others, I simply am unable to play games on keyboard & mouse any more.

As someone with some game development experience, I understand how long and difficult it can be to develop new systemic functions. I'm subscribed to BnS newsletter. If possible, please keep us up-to-date through that.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm aware of the post about the redevelopment for controller in the UE4 version but there's little to no updates about it? Is it best to just swap to keyboard at this point? I haven't really enjoyed the game without using a controller previously.

I used controller 1 time just to test it in 2016, it felt convoluted and weird, so i never tried it again after that.

Just feels like BnS has too many buttons, and it's just faster to click all of it with keyboard.

I'd prefer controller for something like elder scrolls online tho.