design - style - impressions*

swordin

are there any safeguards against multi account abuses?

even in the forums?

may i claim a degree of reasonable ignorance?

is there a point to a design “contest” if the same winners get through to voting every time, 

personally id like to see a different GRAND PRIZE winner every year    ...

is it really the same artist winning this every year?

its disappointing to me that even with the design constraints their art style looks the same as those at least two other grand prize winners? three times is too much right?  it looks like the same outfit designer from past contests, even without the signature, nothing wrong with that, but.... every visible submission looks game worthy, why is there a pile-comparison of votes again, multi accounts? only fans? bored niewbs? general apathy? 

I know I’m not crazy thinking All five of them are worth sooooooo many more votes than they have at this moment.

just delete this post, im only going to garner more unwarranted excessive hate for the first few lines when i was scratching publicly at a fearful suspicion (scritch scritch scratchin, am i on to somethin’ or is it just a pain somewhere i cannot see...)

otherwise: A sincere but needless Congratz* at making such a remarkably resonant design! i cant wait to see how it turns out in game, too bad the race wasnt closer for the other contestants that made it so far, all the designs look incredible and speak to the style of the artist’s individuality, i hope they do the design contest again and soon! (ahhh back-to-back contests if only...) i cant wait to see the next awesome and unique takes from the artists practiced enough to make such refined drawings.

plus, no contestants would know for certain if theirs would be picked for the voting stage; i can imagine it would be fun and fulfilling just to try, not to mention building the practice for the next go arounds.

yeah i think the votes should be closer, all the designs look good for the game...

and well, the prompt, cosmic couture: couture is a given cause the character models rig the outfit to some degree; Cosmic : now that is still a branch mostly un-told in fashion, even Blade and Soul fashion, so the creativity really showed on that one, each artist interprets that to heart, which is absolute beauty -

- i really liked the eldritch themed one for that, i hope that one gets into the game, for everything about it: really cool outer coat, sleeves, also the hood, and the pet! i probably like Star Eater the best for the full context of how i view the contest this time

- the one with the clear bubble helmet is totally delightful, plus all the detail on the dress part is really satisfying to view, i hope that one gets into the game

- the exosuit one is really special, it makes me feel like im hopping around on the moon just by looking at it and i hope it gets into the game

- the purple dress attire is super fancy and i think that one will win. i cant wait to see how the shear sections at the calves looks and the manner to which theyll make the metal parts shiny

- the one with the most votes at the time of my writing this, looks super cool with the electric power wings and coat tails and hair concept, people clearly ease in to that art style, for obvious reasons too right? im not totally blinded by the fear (; ( and i really dont want to be an insult in this occasion, i realize the high probability of the very matter-of-fact answer that it is simply the winning design this time around.)

perhaps im merely suspicious this time, i wish they could all win theGRAND PRIZE, and im confident im not alone in THAT feeling 

oh yeah and no doubt i have a terrible envy for the practice and the talent and the whatever-else it takes to craft digital images of the caliber represented in these 5 recent examples 

yowch

if you enjoyed reading this please add comment, i think i could add more thoughts and enhance the clarity of my meanings, and theres probably a more productive conversation for the topic than the blatant fraud suspicion which i started out with and through the course of writing, eased back from because ultimately it cant effect me so deeply whether the same artists win the contest year after year, but im going through with this post as it is anyway to raise the point and maybe dig into some other meaningful discussions, because each of you people are important to me.

to continue on: if i could ask one thing it’d be, if the modelers that bring the design into game-reality are part of the selecting process and if so: what kinds of challenges are they excited to face when taking contest winner’s design and what challenges do they ultimately have to steer away from regardless of the overall excitement for the artist’s vision?

also id love to hear the artist’s thoughts but i dont think many players actually log onto the forums. i for one only log on to write essay for a number of hours and then either forget to check back frequently or hold mild apprehension at experiencing how others interpret my texts if they even choose to log in and reply

If someone puts in the work / effort to create something , it does not matter whether they won last year or any of the other years before. If their design is good, and looks cool they deserve the recognition and prize. Saying it should be different winners each time makes no sense at all, as it would simply make it so that we have less good designs.

14 hours ago, Grimoir said:

If someone puts in the work / effort to create something , it does not matter whether they won last year or any of the other years before. If their design is good, and looks cool they deserve the recognition and prize. Saying it should be different winners each time makes no sense at all, as it would simply make it so that we have less good designs.

yes, if someone got enough accounts to vote different, it truly don't matter who won last year. And there is no safeguard, it is just not allowed to use it for multi votes. I keep it that way, dunno about others.

PS: none of those styles catches my eyes so I do not vote at all.

Edited by Belido

What is striking about this competition is the significant inequality between female and male characters. With the exception of the first and fourth apparel creations, the other designers have opted for a sexist and oppressive style line. The clothes are mainly designed to please heterosexual male players, which can be seen e.g. differences in the level of disclosure of clothing between female and male figures. These three designers have consciously wanted to take advantage of the gender and sexual inequality situation in the gaming community and sought to please only the preferences of the dominant segment of the gaming community.

Personally, I voted for the fourth clothing model because it represents equality, a garment like that doesn’t yet exist in the game, it nicely combines the theme of the design contest and the Asian military clothing style, the color combination is perky but controlled and the designer clearly hasn’t tried to phish votes (by this I mean that only in the version designed for the female character would the breasts and buttocks be almost completely or partially exposed. Whereas the male figure would be covered in the fabric almost from head to toe).

45 minutes ago, Goryeon said:

What is striking about this competition is the significant inequality between female and male characters. With the exception of the first and fourth apparel creations, the other designers have opted for a sexist and oppressive style line. The clothes are mainly designed to please heterosexual male players, which can be seen e.g. differences in the level of disclosure of clothing between female and male figures. These three designers have consciously wanted to take advantage of the gender and sexual inequality situation in the gaming community and sought to please only the preferences of the dominant segment of the gaming community.

I dont see the issue considering the game already has a lot of costumes which look the same for both male and female characters and are VERY revealing.