Am I missing something?

Nakanoshi

Hi, I am a new player to the game. I started a couple days ago, got to level 60 HM 12.

I overall just feel lost in the sauce. Ever since I started the game it has felt... unpopulated. Severely unpopulated to the point where I questioned if I was playing on a test server or something. I joined several clans, all of which are dead, and faction chat just seems to be a silent ghost town. I am continuing in the storyline best as I can, just recently completing I think act 8? Not entirely sure. My gear just seems lack luster, with no clear understanding of how to better equip myself, or even obtain better gear... 

I've purchased some of the premium service, in order to travel faster (after level 50 the quests just seemed to throw me in complete different areas of the map for each step of the quest, and waiting a few minutes for a simple chat was getting a little tedious) and I just don't feel this game is worth a subscription for any other reason. I don't quite understand the crafting mechanics, it looks quite undeveloped compared to other games.

I would love to say that this game has great storyline, but to be fair its cliché and predictable. Honestly went through it getting more annoyed that it was being dragged out with very little involved.

I would love to say the graphics are stunning and beautiful, however that's just not the case. The scenery at best is like a windows wallpaper, actual textures look crude and unrefined, and 3/4 of the character's classes just feel generic and have little to no differences. It honestly looked like the game had 2 classes, a human with slightly different variations, and a furry Lolita. The furry loli had more detail in it than any of the other 3 races... and yet it seems like in these games it comes as a surprise when 70% of the players are of one race, when that race is the cover art, the load screen, and the only race with actual detail put into it.

My suggestions, which won't be noted or even seen from what I can tell based on the community's opinion of the company, is that several major changes need to be made to the game's concept.
1) Storyline - Yes it's great you have a near full animated storyline, however your focus on this was too much that you lacked any development in the content itself. After this hastily written story was finished, none of it actually mattered to the game afterward.

2) Gameplay - During the starting phase a player should be learning how to use their abilities more effectively, and even a rudimentary upgrade system to learn how to upgrade at the later stages. Many other games allow a player to use low level upgrade items, to upgrade low level gear to at least grasp a concept. This game doesn't have that, and if it does I sure as hell didn't see it.

3) Gear - You have a unique way of throwing a wrench into the game. You purposely designed the start of the game to have gear that did nothing for you. Outfits are purely cosmetic adding no defense, hp, or any kind of useful stat, so you could literally go through the game with no clothes on and be fine. Most of the game you don't even get items that are useful to the player, and then at the end of the game the whole dynamic shifts with introductions to rings, belts, necklaces, etc. with no clear understanding of where to obtain them.

4) Shop- I can not stress this enough with games. I don't mind buying a subscription, bonuses, or even the occasional cosmetic item. My issue in this system in particular is your lack of descriptions. I can not count how many items I saw in the shop with zero understanding, or description of what I am buying. It would be exactly like walking into a Walmart, but they put everything in a generic cardboard box with a bare-bones label like "BOX A". Yeah, that helps me. Instead of  "BOX A - gives a potion that increases attack by 100, lasts 30 minutes". To be fair, SOME items have that, but most don't. I can most definitely provide screenshot examples of this if anyone doubts.

Now I don't have thousands of hours, hundreds of dollars, and a billion achievement points, and to most reading this - I don't need to be the best at a game to have an opinion. My opinion has been formed after ~30 hours of gameplay. Personally, if a game needs any more time than that to realize that its a waste of time, that would be a tragedy. This game focused more on its flare and cutscenes than actual content, and playability. I am sorry that I do not share the same opinion as some/most who play this all the time, but this game is not for me and this is my reason why. 

Overall My rating for this game would be around a 5/10.
Gameplay - 3/10
Storyline - 4/10
Cutscenes - 10/10 (not many MMOs have such detailed cutscenes, congrats)
Quests - 6/10
Combat - 7/10
Fun - 4/10

Missing something? Eh, just about 4-5 years of fun.

This game is kinda dead-ish. But thanks to whales, we can still continue playing this game.
I still remember when i quit this game in 2018. Still has multi servers with many players crowding each server. Not like now. Dead -ish.. Reduced population. Only one server left. In game, only seeing the same whales everyday. So much different than 2018.

The reason i play again is because Astromancer. Kinda fun. But, it's still heartbreaking seeing how this game becomes.

Edited by josher

5 hours ago, josher said:

Missing something? Eh, just about 4-5 years of fun.

This game is kinda dead-ish. But thanks to whales, we can still continue playing this game.
I still remember when i quit this game in 2018. Still has multi servers with many players crowding each server. Not like now. Dead -ish.. Reduced population. Only one server left. In game, only seeing the same whales everyday. So much different than 2018.

The reason i play again is because Astromancer. Kinda fun. But, it's still heartbreaking seeing how this game becomes.

I can see how it would have been a great game years ago, but it seems like it aged like milk. This is probably due to poor management by the host company, and I've seen it before with other games. 

The major reason I started a couple days ago was mostly in part to a friend of mine telling me how much fun they had while playing this game years ago while we were on a discord call. I decided to give it a try, and this was not the result I expected from the hype they gave. Of course they stopped playing a couple years ago in pursuit of other games, and after less than a week, I am following the same path. 

I played a gunslinger up to 60, and a blade dancer to 40. I felt that the gunslinger is extremely broken in dps, or that the blade dancer is extremely under powered. It really shined in the first 30 minutes of gameplay, when I fought training dummies in the proving grounds. While I was a blade dancer it took a significant longer time to cut enemies down with the basic attack. It seemed that the basic attack LMB was just a small filler to the RMB attacks. Where as gunslinger I just ripped right through with RMB, which feeds the F key attack. While the F attack paired with tab/lmb spam was just decimation to all that stood in my way as a gunslinger, I felt the blade dancer struggled to fight even the most basic of enemies even after outleveling them by 10 to 15 levels.

While I don't support "balancing(nerfing)" in games, I do feel this game needs it.

Edited by Nakanoshi
Grammar fails

Hello there,

For new players, I recommend this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13yekyrPM5OZTUPAxscnKJ2yaxRzD9II3EXPC_5gQsXw/edit

It's long, but it has everything.

Also, don't join random clans. BNS has 2 types of clans. One is for just gathering ppl, minimal upgrade cost reduces, no clan battleground, mostly alt characters are in them. These are called Social clans.
The other is called competitive, you can level up the clan, mostly main characters are in them, that's where clan life is. You can't join them trough the menu you joined to social clans, you have to apply, or search on faction/mushin tower region chat.

Story places are empty, that's true, because players only go trough them once, then they only do dungeons and raids.
There are many solo dungeons, press J, quest letters, then search for solo quests. Start with mushin tower floor 1. 
Also, if you press F8, you can go to cross server and do dungeons with other ppl.
And an other thing, do the orange questlines too, they are sidestories which unlock raids. Some of them are impossible alone, because the last objective is to kill a raid boss, but if you get to that point, you are already able to get in the raid, so it's okay 😄 You can finish the first 3 alone, they made a solo version of the Raven King, The Hive Queen and The Celestial Emperor for the quest only. (For celestial emperor, at the end, you have to go in the entrance, talk to the npc, then go out and talk to the npc again to access the solo boss)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nakanoshi said:

I can see how it would have been a great game years ago, but it seems like it aged like milk. This is probably due to poor management by the host company, and I've seen it before with other games. 

The major reason I started a couple days ago was mostly in part to a friend of mine telling me how much fun they had while playing this game years ago while we were on a discord call. I decided to give it a try, and this was not the result I expected from the hype they gave. Of course they stopped playing a couple years ago in pursuit of other games, and after less than a week, I am following the same path. 

I played a gunslinger up to 60, and a blade dancer to 40. I felt that the gunslinger is extremely broken in dps, or that the blade dancer is extremely under powered. It really shined in the first 30 minutes of gameplay, when I fought training dummies in the proving grounds. While I was a blade dancer it took a significant longer time to cut enemies down with the basic attack. It seemed that the basic attack LMB was just a small filler to the RMB attacks. Where as gunslinger I just ripped right through with RMB, which feeds the F key attack. While the F attack paired with tab/lmb spam was just decimation to all that stood in my way as a gunslinger, I felt the blade dancer struggled to fight even the most basic of enemies even after outleveling them by 10 to 15 levels.

While I don't support "balancing(nerfing)" in games, I do feel this game needs it.

You're not missing much as this game just isnt for you. And when it comes to dps you need to know what you're doing and have the right items etc.. Also are you being serious suggesting balance or nerfs after 30h of gameplay?..

Edited by Myrazel

2 hours ago, Myrazel said:

You're not missing much as this game just isnt for you.

Correct, which is exactly what I had said with various points as to why that is.

And when it comes to dps you need to know what you're doing and have the right items etc..

Of course. This is far from my first MMO or RPG experience, however it is definitely the most cryptic and convoluted. The question I had wasn't "why can't I play end game" it was "what am I missing" and I did go into detail about that as well, stating that the game has very little to no information on what to actually do to acquire the next set of items. The sets that are available are story based, and that just isn't enough to get through the starting dungeons without a party. Parties don't exist apparently for my starting-out attack power, which leaves me in a bind that I:
1- Won't be able to complete basic level 60 stuff
2- Don't have an understanding of how to work with a party in general
3- Lack of a community that has constructive criticism, and instead just tells people "do the story" and "we dont want to carry you" like I asked to be carried =/

Also are you being serious suggesting balance or nerfs after 30h of gameplay?..

While I agree its premature, and a lack of end-game understanding, it is a wide complaint I have read about from multiple threads and sources that gunslinger is a braindead class. I did not know that beforehand, and my personal experience with gunslinger 60, and now blade dancer 60 (which i deleted because it wasn't performing), is that the blade dancer feels so underwhelming. While it is the case that I don't have that super duper end game gear for both, they were both on equal footing in terms of HM level, and Storyline gear. The differences are staggering, and I doubt that end game quality gear changes that much. To a newer player this can be quite the off-put wondering "hey, my friend and I did the story together, but it feels like I was just in the way the whole time."

Again, as stated in the OP, Yes. I have ~40 Hours of gameplay now (yeah a whopping 10 more, not impressive) and this is just my opinion. Yes I feel its unbalanced, unfair, and overall just not a game for new players to consider. It has an extremely dead population, the community that is around is either Ghost town, or the Troll League. You have a vast majority of people ready to spit down your throat the first time you ask a question. You have a nearly overwhelming majority ready to ditch you in a dungeon just because you don't know the mechanics of team-play, and they aren't willing to explain what you are doing wrong. This game seems to be declining like a plane taking a nose dive, and I honestly do feel like that's a shame. This could be a way better game if what's left of the community wasn't elitist a-holes. Like all mechanics aside, and the lack of a decent (or any) tutorial for the level 60+ content... just having a better community that reaches out to newer players hitting their level 60 stages, finishing their campaign at HM 12, and going "Hey bro, let me show you how to start running with a team. This is how you play Blade and Soul." That would make a world of difference to the game, and would influence a little more popularity again. That isn't the case though, and I will of course just play another game.

To all I do wish y'all the best of course, and I don't intend to start a fight/argument, but give my viewpoint as a new player, and an MMO veteran. I also am not here to promote any other game in particular, I just wanted my voice to be heard here as to why -I FELT- this game does not make the cut. I wish y'all the best, and keep on gaming!

5 hours ago, Kicsiduda said:

For new players, I recommend this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13yekyrPM5OZTUPAxscnKJ2yaxRzD9II3EXPC_5gQsXw/edit

It's long, but it has everything.

That is an excellent guide, I skimmed through a good chunk of it. I wish this would actually be a sticky post on FAQs for this game's forums lol. I have already at this point level 60 HM12ed both of my character slots, then deleted the blade dancer, and finally just uninstalled the game. This game just is not for me. Even if I can to the "after story phase," there just isn't many people actually willing to run that content with a new player. Majority of the folk in the game tend to be very elitist, and condescending. I just don't feel as a newer player that I am welcome in the community, that making a mistake is just part of the process of learning, or that I can find a group of friends to chill with. The community itself seems to be just as large, if not larger of an issue. 

I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a reply, and send a link. I hope to any newer players that skim through the forums stumbles across this awesome document, and I hope that the community itself takes the stick out of its own bum, and realizes that they are just as important of a factor to retain players as the developers are.

This is my last post on this game's forums though, as I have said, I've already just uninstalled the game. Thanks again to all for your time.

• Like 1

yes. this game is now not very welcoming to new player. if you play this game in 2017, you can still have fun and keep up with others.
and yet, nc still keep trying to suck money from the players. see the hongmoon store (f10), and you will understand what i'm saying.

that gem exchange voucher, pet gem bundles, etc.

unless new player willing to pour lot of their money to buy gems, mats, and other things to increase their attack power, this game is not for them.

i've seen this problem since the silverfrost update. i've told them "you're ruining this game".

and many people also said that the company's greed is one major factor why this game is dying.

sorry. this is just expression of my disappointment with this game that once i loved so much (2016-2017).

Edited by josher

what do you mean now not welcoming to new player. nowadays new players get almost everything thrown at them, decent gear, no need to run raids. you don't need to poor money in it, decent gems you get in Ebon Realm, mats you get by doing dailies.

Its just very frustrating to see some newbies and some oldies to totally spam faction chat whining about anything and everything. Play the game, don't demand carry, you will get better gear in time

• Like 1

I don't see many barriers for new players beyond the lack of information.  If in game descriptions and/or content explained to players what their options were, it would be significantly more appealing to new players. 

Ironically, the OP brought this up right as another Call to Arms event is launching.  C2A is specifically designed to help new players get "caught up".  The problem remains many new players would never know this. 

A helpful community is always a plus, but it cannot make up for the poor descriptions in game.

Edited by Desmodos

BNS has changed a lot over the last 4-5 years, and not for the better imo.  When I first started playing BNS, I found I could play at my own pace and found that the rewards were satisfying for the amount of play time I put in.  It was a game where I could play at my leisure without it controlling my life.  I very much liked the idea of one weapon that you could upgrade from rewards you received while simply playing.  When the game first started, it didn't affect me too much that other people were higher level or more powerful.  Their power didn't affect my gaming experience.

Somewhere along the line BNS totally  changed.  Raids were introduced which can and did make and break clans that were put together and people became friends.  If your friends (or you!) weren't geared  enough to keep up, they were soon discarded.  The game became a race.  The company capitalized on the race by an ever increasing cash shop and cash related events.  Very quickly, if you didnt keep up with the Jones' you were shunned from raids, dungeons, and even clans.  In order to keep up you had to run multiple raids, multiple alts, meet timed dungeons, etc  etc.  Then of course the time that was consumed running fairly mindless weeklies, not to mention mundane mon thly events.  And if you thought this was bad, don't even look at what was necessary to keep up with pvp.

Shortly, BNS is going to dump too much on us at once.  The whales will gooble everything up as greedily as they can, and the whole boring routine will start over again.  The majority of players that are just trying to keep up will be outdated in a week.  This whole process has already completely destroyed PVP, which I once found highly entertaining.  Now, you are a whale or you are not.  It's as simple as that.  The players even created discord groups where if your dick isn't big enough, you can't even get on.

The long and short of it is, the casual players have had enough, and most have left.  After playing since launch myself, I am finding the treadmill just a little too tedious.  When the warm weather comes, I am afraid this game just won't have enough of the reasons that I originally started playing left.  

Edited by Tufa

If you join The blue faction (ceru) then ya is pretty dead.

crimson is more alive (red faction). So that would be good place to start if u want to see a more alive faction and earlier be able to see what people are Selling, dungouns multi, weeklies and so on 🤷‍♀️

On 3/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, Nakanoshi said:

That is an excellent guide, I skimmed through a good chunk of it. I wish this would actually be a sticky post on FAQs for this game's forums lol. I have already at this point level 60 HM12ed both of my character slots, then deleted the blade dancer, and finally just uninstalled the game. This game just is not for me. Even if I can to the "after story phase," there just isn't many people actually willing to run that content with a new player. Majority of the folk in the game tend to be very elitist, and condescending. I just don't feel as a newer player that I am welcome in the community, that making a mistake is just part of the process of learning, or that I can find a group of friends to chill with. The community itself seems to be just as large, if not larger of an issue. 

I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a reply, and send a link. I hope to any newer players that skim through the forums stumbles across this awesome document, and I hope that the community itself takes the stick out of its own bum, and realizes that they are just as important of a factor to retain players as the developers are.

This is my last post on this game's forums though, as I have said, I've already just uninstalled the game. Thanks again to all for your time.

Well if u were in ceru u also went for ceru clans. Sooh..

there is some good helpfull crimson clans who try help and is more alive. And people not being willing to do stuff well some cases yes. But u also wrong, u Can lfp most dungouns all the Way up to sp tbh. 

which gives u enough to get decent amount of gear.  

Im a returning player, last time i played was 2016 and then i saw the new engine and the new event and i was like WHY NOT !

First time i logged i was so lost  and i had a ton of antiques that need to be retired lol 😧 but then i spend a few hours and i finished teh main story i got some decent gear to do the easier dungeons and im back in track for the most part , altho not 100% there i get the gist of it i guess lol. I want to believe that other people will think like me  and return to the game. This engine update thing is kinda huge. Maybe for now server is empty but we don't know what will happen in 3-4 months xD p.s. damn i joined cerulean too maybe i can change? i don't remember lol

Gonna go out on a limb here and say the whole Ceru vs Crim probably has more to do with the time of day you play. 

I have friend in Ceru who claims it's way more active than Crim.  Oddly, I see lots of folks in Crim claiming it is more active and helpful than Ceru. 

I started off Ceru, joined a few clans, all were dead.  Switched Crim as a clan recruitment and found the community livelier there.  

I started about three weeks ago, made my way to hm 21 so far with decent enough gear and still upgrading things. The crimson faction is pretty lively and I've found a helpful clan that has made a world of difference in understanding all the ins and outs of the game. Honestly, I find the game pretty enjoyable in every aspect except for the main story line, which I think is utter. . .yeah. Who ever the story writer was should be fired and someone else should take their place and put in something that doesn't revolve around so much misery and failure. 
The systems take some getting use to, but they're nothing that google, wiki, the forums, and people playing can't help you with. Switching your faction is pretty easy as well. I am hoping that the story line will one day continue and have less main character failure and less tragedy and loss, but I guess that really depends if the developer is trying to make the game as depressing as possible or actually allow you to be the hero one day. I honestly don't get what the premise was behind the story line and lack of choices and complete linear model. 
But either way, there is a learning curve to the game, but it's nothing that a little effort into research wont remedy.

As someone who's played Blade Dancer since the start and as someone currently very highly geared, the bit about BD underperforming is one of a couple of reasons. BD at base, *especially* if you're playing wind, will feel underwhelming because you need certain badges and need to know how to keep your rotation going, and if you only got to lv. 40 you don't even have all your skills unlocked, let alone the items and equipment you need to make the class perform. Third spec BD has exceptional dps right now, but you wouldn't have known that at Lv. 40. BD also has rotations you need to maintain on the two specs you have access to, and Lightning's rotation will feel very bad without badges. However, even without badges,  you can basically hold simple mode on gunner and do much better, so it's a distorted representation. Gunner also doesn't scale as well. 

It's already been said, but it needs to be said again - judging classes at low tier gear without much of an understanding of how the two classes work and differ is a big mistake. 

That said, I'm willing to go more in detail and go over what I do know about classes - I usually help people if I see them asking questions in Faction chat (I'm in Cerulean), but if you've already given up then it won't help.