Favoritism

ARC-1276

So, let's talk about the new class. Does anyone else remember when the teaser for the new class was dropped? The CGI animation? Does anyone remember which race it was? If you didn't see it, the teaser featured a Yun using the new class. Meaning at the very least Yun would be receiving it. Well, instead we got Lyn receiving the new class, rather than Yun.

So let's count them:

Jin: 8 classes (BM, KFM, Sin, WL, SF, GS, WR, Archer)

Gon: 5 classes (Des, KFM, FM, SF, WR)

Lyn: 8 classes (Sum, BD, FM, WL, GS, WR, Sin, Astro)

Yun: 6 classes (BM, KFM, FM, SF, GS, Archer)

Does anyone else see the problem here? Lyn not only has as many classes as our default human race, but it's also getting classes that were once exclusive to Jin. The only new classes they didn't receive is SF and Archer. I pray to God they never get those either. Meanwhile, Gon and Yun have been basically neglected. The only time they've recently acknowledged that Gon exists was with Warden, but even then, it didn't matter since the only race that didn't get Warden was Yun, and Lyn got it only a month or two after. On top of that, the class that was going to be accessible to Yun also became a Lyn exclusive.

I can rip on Lyn all day long, going off about how dumb they look wielding a sword about 110% their size with sticks for arms, or how they don't thematically fit in with their abundance of cuteness in an otherwise more serious game with very few moments of comic relief. I can also mention how their size and physic would not be inclined to martial arts of just about any kind. Hell, Yun has a more believable physical appearance for martial arts and they're ridiculously thin. But because this community has a selection of special people who will reply with "it's a fantasy game with flying swordsmen, who cares if you think it's realistic or believable?" I'm going to refrain from that.

Tangent aside, I think we can all agree by now that there's favoritism for Lyn and it's getting annoying. Now you could argue that there's favoritism for Jin, and you'd be right, as I thought them getting SF when it was originally Gon and Yun only was a bit unfair. But given that Jin is supposed to be the most abundant of the races and by all accounts our default human, I think it's safe to assume that they'll end up with more classes, especially since they're supposed to be all-rounders in the first place.

My purpose isn't really to hate the other races, it's just to point out what I'll (mostly for comedic effect) call "racism." Yun and Gon haven't received as much support in terms of classes, even for classes that would make sense on them (like GS or Archer for Gon and Astromancer for Yun), meanwhile, Lyn has been receiving classes that don't fit the character of the race at all (like GS, WR, Sin). They're meant to be mischievous and in tune with spirits, hence Summoner and Warlock, but shooting guns with enough recoil to blast their arms off or a sword that looks heavy enough to break their back just by lifting it makes no sense for the race. Yes by that logic, BD shouldn't exist also as it doesn't fit into the character of the race despite being exclusive to them. 

So if you couldn't get my points, I'll list them off:

1. Lyn has too many classes, not that we can fix that anyway.

2. Lyn is receiving classes that it should be getting, such as Warden and Sin.

3. The devs should provide access to more classes for Yun and Gon so we can have a better distribution of classes across the races.

4. The devs need to stop showing favoritism for certain races over others. It's just not fair for people who like playing a certain race.

5. This overlaps with point 3 but the devs should give access to Yun for what was once a class exclusive to their race.

Edited by ARC-1276
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ARC-1276 said:

3. The devs should provide access to more classes for Yun and Gon so we can have a better distribution of classes across the races.

4. The devs need to stop showing favoritism for certain races over others. It's just not fair for people who like playing a certain race.

5. This overlaps with point 3 but the devs should give access to Yun for what was once a class exclusive to their race.

To answer all those in a single swoop:

Some Lyn classes are lore / story linked. That will never change. Lyns are the most popular race overall, thats why they get more focus. And last,m most important point: If KR wants lyns to have something, that WILL happen. If KR does not want a class to be any other race than Lyn, it will never happen.

This has nothing to do with fairness, or what players want or not. Its about whats more popular and what generates the better profit. The more people like Lyn race, that means the more of them will make a new character, the more of them will spend more money.

I mean you can complain all you want and give reasons, but ultimately, neither you, or nc here has any say in this.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb ARC-1276:

So if you couldn't get my points, I'll list them off:

I prefer to play lyn like probably most players so they try to give the players what they want here. If you dont like it ok just dont play it !

Zitat

I think you mean "shouldnt" and i totally disagree for the sin. I am Soul fighter main and the only way to play my favourite race are mods why ? its a lil glove they wear. In terms of warden and destroyer i can totally understand why they shouldnt be for lyn. The weapons are simply to big for such a lil creature but still there are more than enough players who want to play lyn so i dont see why they shouldnt be able too.

Zitat

The devs should give us the option to play any class with any race instead of forcing me to play Gon or whatever.

Zitat

Like i wrote they do this cause the players want it. Its not like their simply favor one race they probably dont care about this but if people wish for something and you give them the option to get it for $$$ you will earn $$$ and as we know $$$ is what they are looking for.

Zitat

As much as you hate Lyn i hate Yun but i dont flame them for anything.

P.S the trailer you mean was the trailer for Force master third spec.

Edited by ImoutoMaster

8 hours ago, ImoutoMaster said:

I prefer to play lyn like probably most players so they try to give the players what they want here. If you dont like it ok just dont play it !

I think you mean "shouldnt" and i totally disagree for the sin. I am Soul fighter main and the only way to play my favourite race are mods why ? its a lil glove they wear. In terms of warden and destroyer i can totally understand why they shouldnt be for lyn. The weapons are simply to big for such a lil creature but still there are more than enough players who want to play lyn so i dont see why they shouldnt be able too.

The devs should give us the option to play any class with any race instead of forcing me to play Gon or whatever.

Like i wrote they do this cause the players want it. Its not like their simply favor one race they probably dont care about this but if people wish for something and you give them the option to get it for $$$ you will earn $$$ and as we know $$$ is what they are looking for.

As much as you hate Lyn i hate Yun but i dont flame them for anything.

P.S the trailer you mean was the trailer for Force master third spec.

I didn't flame Lyn. I stated that I held some slight disdain for them. Yes, that is a typo that went under the radar. You also failed to rebut some of my points and actually agreed with some of them (although limited).

I'm also going to state this once. If you provide support for one race or one faction, people will want to play it more because it's getting support. If you leave the others out to dry, no one will play it because of a lack of content, or they will play it if they're feeling extremely bored (which given how many classes Lyn and Jin has, why would you play as a Yun or Gon?). Furthermore, just because something is popular in one region, doesn't mean it should be forced down another region's mouth. I'm sure Lyn is super popular in KR, but I'm not so sure about here. In fact, I'm of the impression that Lyn isn't really as liked here as it is in KR and that we don't want new classes for that race, specifically because at least two other races are being neglected. 

But your quick fix of letting anyone play any class on any race would be interesting, although you'll get some nonsensical combinations for certain classes and races.

13 hours ago, Grimoir said:

To answer all those in a single swoop:

Some Lyn classes are lore / story linked. That will never change. Lyns are the most popular race overall, thats why they get more focus. And last,m most important point: If KR wants lyns to have something, that WILL happen. If KR does not want a class to be any other race than Lyn, it will never happen.

This has nothing to do with fairness, or what players want or not. Its about whats more popular and what generates the better profit. The more people like Lyn race, that means the more of them will make a new character, the more of them will spend more money.

I mean you can complain all you want and give reasons, but ultimately, neither you, or nc here has any say in this.

Okay, let's address some of these points. Thus far I haven't seen a single BD, SUM, GS, WR, or even a WL for Lyn in the story. The only class I keep seeing for Lyn in the story is FM, so the lore can't exactly back this, and if we went off of the lore, there should be Jin FMs, which there aren't any. 

Your second point describes what's called the "self-fulfilling prophecy" whereby the popularity of a race is being driven by the creation of new classes for it. There will be a perception that this is the most common and popular race, even if it's not, thus more support for it. Now that's a real chicken and egg situation, perhaps it started with Developer favoritism and the community was just silent about it until it became a problem but by then there were already so many people supporting the race that it became impossible to reign it in. I personally don't remember if this is the situation or not, but I can state with certainty that just because KR likes it, NCsoft should have the brains to know that it doesn't mean EU and US will like it.

I play everything on Lyn or Jin ( the smallest size possible ) only for the fact to have small character  on screen and i can see more from battle field ,also  in numbers is not faster but being small it look "faster" on screen while you move and play etc . 
I don't play for fashion(i have same outfit since 3 years ago loool ),or any other reason , it can be a stick doesn't matter for me is good to be small possible .

I have only 3 characters : FM,DES,BM and damn i wish they make DES and BM lyn :D 

6 hours ago, ARC-1276 said:

Thus far I haven't seen a single BD, SUM, GS, WR, or even a WL for Lyn in the story.

This means you clearly have not followed the story as far as BD, SUM goes.

As for WR, WL, GS  Lyn was added because that is what KR playerbase wanted.

7 hours ago, ARC-1276 said:

Now that's a real chicken and egg situation, perhaps it started with Developer favoritism and the community was just silent about it until it became a problem but by then there were already so many people supporting the race that it became impossible to reign it in. I personally don't remember if this is the situation or not, but I can state with certainty that just because KR likes it, NCsoft should have the brains to know that it doesn't mean EU and US will like it.

And no. If i am not mistaking it was with warden release, where it was originally supposed to be only Jin, and the KR players outright demanded it for the lyn race and it was added.

There was a whole discussion about that here aswel, how they demanded it and got it. Literally nothing to do with favortism from the developers.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb ARC-1276:

just because something is popular in one region, doesn't mean it should be forced down another region's mouth.

Sorry this is a korean game they dont develope for us they do for KR. I wish they finally fix pvp too which is broken for 2 years now but again they will not care since i am from europe not KR.

I'm sure Lyn is super popular in KR, but I'm not so sure about here.

Like we try to tell you it dosent matter how popular it is here.

In fact, I'm of the impression that Lyn isn't really as liked here as it is in KR and that we don't want new classes for that race, specifically because at least two other races are being neglected. 

2 Races most people dont like either. Ive never seen someone say "ah i love yun or gon" they always speak about them in a negative way.

But your quick fix of letting anyone play any class on any race would be interesting, although you'll get some nonsensical combinations for certain classes and races.

Isnt warden lyn weird already ?

17 hours ago, Belido said:

:tears::tears::tears:

and as much as I dream for a Yun exclusive class, I also don't really  care as I am a sworn fire fm :please:

Funny you should say that... because in long days past... Yun DID actually have an exclusive class... and guess which one? Your sworn class - Force Master. And there's an example of the reverse side of the so-called "favouritism" - Yun's complete stripping of anything to call their own.

You might ask why Yun lost the exclusivity of Force Master? Was it because of Lyn (because we can't have enough Lyn bashing as it is)? But pretty much any race can use FM... so why not only Yun and Lyn? Oh, my friends... it wasn't the devs that were to blame... oh no... much like the OG Soul Fighter nerfs (to a class that wasn't even broken), the Yun losing FM exclusivity was caused by... whiny community members. And why was that?

Because they didn't want a gender-locked class. :PoharanConfused:

With that being said, I kind of love the fact in this thread that it's been mentioned that Lyn shouldn't be Assassins. I think that's kind of hilarious when you actually see that the most successful assassination in the game - with a dagger no less - was by a Lyn. In fact, quite a few Lyn carry daggers... though seemingly less for combat reasons. However, y'know what else I've noticed? There's another Assassin... one of a race not allowed... and surprise surprise... it's a Yun. Ya, in the story, there's a Yun Assassin in Valindria's ranks... and she's a major supporting character!

But with all of this said... it makes you wonder... why even have exclusive classes anymore anyways? Let's make Jin Summoners and Yun Kung Fu Masters and everything in between.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb ImoutoMaster:

2 Races most people dont like either. Ive never seen someone say "ah i love yun or gon" they always speak about them in a negative way.

I love Yun and Gon!

Jin is nice to have but avg, like in any other game and Lyn ... To be honest I don't dislike them, but because of this Lyn favoritism I start to dislike them.

3 exclusive classes for Lyn! That's insane. The only other exclusive class is Des for Gon and like others said it doesn't make sense to have WR for Lyn, but no other race can be a Sum, Astro? Why??

If they open every once exclusive class for Lyn, they should do it vice versa, too. Why care about if having a Gon BD is illogical, we already have Lyn WR, Assassin and GS ...

Edited by Lewah

30 minutes ago, Lewah said:

3 exclusive classes for Lyn! That's insane. The only other exclusive class is Des for Gon and like others said it doesn't make sense to have WR for Lyn, but no other race can be a Sum, Astro? Why??

Warden got lyn because the entire KR playerbase outright demanded it. It was originally supposed to be jin only.

Summoners are lyn only due to story and lore.

Astro will get yun at a later date from what was being said.

10 hours ago, Grimoir said:

Warden got lyn because the entire KR playerbase outright demanded it. It was originally supposed to be jin only.

Summoners are lyn only due to story and lore.

Astro will get yun at a later date from what was being said.

Jin only or Gon only for Warden? It seems like (especially due to the trailer), Warden was being set up to being another Gon exclusive.

Yeah, this is something that i've seen going on in a lot of MMOs. The cutesy kid race gets the most attention. Honestly it's not as bad here as say... Tera (if you're not an Elin, you basically don't matter), but the other races here could use a bit more love. Especially Yun. As creepy as they are, they could really use something - anything - to call their own.

• 1 year later...