Forums

[Update] Item Removal from Moontide Outfit Exploit

Hime

I just got an answer from the support saying "As mentioned in our forums post, we won't be reimbursing gold used to purchase pet pods from the Marketplace." I thought you forgot this matter but it looks like you are well aware of it and you choose to ignore it.

I don't understand your reason for punishing those who bought pet pods from the marketplace or anyone else, since some weren't even aware that there was a problem ( that could have been fixed months ago ) with the Moontide outfit. 

If this is your last word on this matter, I think a lot will be disappointed, once again. This topic should have been handled with caution but it feels like the decision about the fix has been taken in 5 minutes. 

You don't punish those who abused it for months, you don't punish those who abused right after you explained everyone how to exploit (only a small part), you don't even punish those who got all the outfit they wanted (even if gameplay-wise it's not a problem) since to atone for deleting everyone's outfit you just give them back.

You only punish those who abused and kept pet pods and those who bought pet pods from the marketplace without even knowing the issue.

Many don't trust Ncsoft anymore, as it can be seen in this thread. I have nothing against you @Hime, but I can't trust what you said about looking for each person who will PM you for two reasons : 

1) The removal of items would never have been that sloppy if you had the means to tell which outfits/pet pods were eligible to be removed. And it tells a lot more about the company if they had the means to check it, it would be laziness at its finest.

2) The support just told me that the gold used for buying pets will not be reimbursed, despite it being the less risky fix for this problem. 

I understand to some extent that you don't want to give back the pet pods. But it's unfair toward players who bought these. Even if you give back the Soulstones used in transmute it would still be unfair since they wanted to buy pet pods, not Soulstones. And yet, I'm sure many would appreciate to at least have the Soulstones instead of the pitiful 5 gold per pet pods they had. 

If you seriously think that it is fair to say "You bought 100 pet pods for 8k gold? Let us remove these and give you 500 gold instead." to your players I don't know what to say.

I hope you will understand that a fix about this matter is needed and that the actual fix is disappointing, to say the least.

This was extremely badly handled from the beginning.

First, the "exploit": What exploit?

You (NCSoft) made a mistake of selling an outfit for 2 threads.

That outfit, when salvaged, produced 10 threads.

This is all using mechanics implemented ingame by NCSoft, so, don't know which "exploit" it is.

(It isn't a bug either: you were buying it at the adjusted price, which was the same price that was being shown)

This could be done on an unmodified client: no mods, no bugs, no glitches, no exploits, no tricks, no hacks, no attacks, no injection, no mitm ...

Just a plain unmodified version, by buying 1 item and salvaging. <-- How is this an exploit?

(This assumes the computer security meaning for the word "exploit". Check Wikipedia.)

Everything was intended by you (NCSoft).

Second, the public announcement: Why?

So, you (NCSoft) know you've made a mistake.

You closed down the servers for an emergency maintenance, made the mistake public, exposed steps to reproduce and didn't fix the mistake before opening the servers?

You do know that you're supposed to clean up the mistakes before announcing them publicly?

Third, the "clean up": Could it be handled better?

Well, yes!

In very simple steps:

1. Create a new currency (lets call it "wool")
  2. Change the threads cost to the new "wool"
  3. Since you know those who bought the outfit for the new value, and how much they bought, you could automatically convert the threads that were paid for into this "wool" item
  4. Those that bought the outfits at the reduced price and had a stock of threads would still have the expired threads, which would be useless
  5. You could change the price of the "wool" to a bit higher and nobody would notice, or very few would, earning you a little bit more

And you could just have a lot less work, have it done a lot cleaner, faster and without messing with people's paid stuff.

Lets hope that you (NCSoft) handle the next mistake without messing with people's earned stuff.

• Like 1

@Himejust great solution lol... I didn't know there was a bug and it didn't break out until days later... so now I'm being punished for legit purchases from faction chat and F5 for both pet and soulstone because you didn't do your job right? I also bought outfits unknowingly before the exploit broke out but now clearly those players knew about it already so I paid for 30,000 or maybe more for outfits that I should have exploited... totally "discouraging" players to "NOT" exploit. Yes costumes are causing problems, but they are only part of it since I traded with people in faction and they paid with pets instead of gold and I was nice enough to help them regardless... so I should never do that from now on and just let this game die then, thanks a lot for boosting my determination to look into filing lawsuit against this company that steals from the player and cannot mismanage any more than it is now (or maybe I'm underestimating?) This is just such a big joke now LMAO why am I even paying for this when it will just rob me anyways?

On 2020/8/31 at 9:49 AM, Cupidstar said:

This was extremely badly handled from the beginning.

First, the "exploit": What exploit?

You (NCSoft) made a mistake of selling an outfit for 2 threads.

That outfit, when salvaged, produced 10 threads.

This is all using mechanics implemented ingame by NCSoft, so, don't know which "exploit" it is.

(It isn't a bug either: you were buying it at the adjusted price, which was the same price that was being shown)

This could be done on an unmodified client: no mods, no bugs, no glitches, no exploits, no tricks, no hacks, no attacks, no injection, no mitm ...

Just a plain unmodified version, by buying 1 item and salvaging. <-- How is this an exploit?

(This assumes the computer security meaning for the word "exploit". Check Wikipedia.)

Everything was intended by you (NCSoft).

Second, the public announcement: Why?

So, you (NCSoft) know you've made a mistake.

You closed down the servers for an emergency maintenance, made the mistake public, exposed steps to reproduce and didn't fix the mistake before opening the servers?

You do know that you're supposed to clean up the mistakes before announcing them publicly?

Third, the "clean up": Could it be handled better?

Well, yes!

In very simple steps:

1. Create a new currency (lets call it "wool")
  2. Change the threads cost to the new "wool"
  3. Since you know those who bought the outfit for the new value, and how much they bought, you could automatically convert the threads that were paid for into this "wool" item
  4. Those that bought the outfits at the reduced price and had a stock of threads would still have the expired threads, which would be useless
  5. You could change the price of the "wool" to a bit higher and nobody would notice, or very few would, earning you a little bit more

And you could just have a lot less work, have it done a lot cleaner, faster and without messing with people's paid stuff.

Lets hope that you (NCSoft) handle the next mistake without messing with people's earned stuff.

lolol how many people want to wait until the NEXT mistake to quit? And if they do they probably figured out how to do it so that they get max benefit out of it from this experience so no punishment would affect them. I totally agree with the initial solution of closing down for emergency maintenance before  announcing it but again NCSoft has no brains (as you can see from this event) so I would encourage people still working for them to find a new job before you get labelled as dumb by the industry because you work for them

Bought 257 pet pods, got nothing back. I guess the biggest exploit was buying pet pods from F5 / Faction Chat and not keeping thousands of pets on alts.

It's good to know that they can take any item they want from your inventory without any reason.

@Hime, I really can't figure out why you refuse to give back the gold/mats from those who bought pet pods.

On 2020. 08. 28. at 5:55 PM, 838068_1452550092 said:

@HimeHopefully this is just a bad joke. Here is my personal result from Moontide Outfit Exploit

- got around 30 pets before u made announcement on forum( yes i still had some chest in my inventory but i didnt even touch it because i wanted to avoid this shitstrom)
- bought many pet, pet pod from f5 or from other players
- you removed from my account around 450-600 Pet Pods 

Lets calculate the cost of making 1 pet pod:
-pet: average 20g
-10 ss: 50-60g
-gold cost from transmuting: 10g

Are u planning to give me back 4.500-6.000g instead of 36.000-54.000g? If it is true basically I lost my savings, meanwhile others have questionable advantage from upgrading pet, talisman and reaching better results in ranked contant. I should have upgraded my pet and talisman.......

I'm really proud of you guys. Once in the life you did your job well :HajoonLaugh:. Got back random outfits and immersive 905 gold from transmuting? Good to know u can divide it by 10. Let's clerify your totally ****** up solution. Have I made 90,5 pet pod based on your log but u removed 450-600 from my account meanwhile others can enjoy their maxed out pet and talisman? @Hime guess I wont get any answer again. You defenetly have sense how to make the worst marketing step by step. My loss is still between 35.095g and 53.095g

Edited by 838068_1452550092

@Hime I purchased about 100 pet pods after the exploit was patched, and then all of my pet pods (including ones I owned before the exploit) were removed. I have received nothing back. I'm not sure why players who offloaded their exploited pet pods (either through selling or upgrading) remain unpunished, but those who purchased them were.

23 minutes ago, aklasdf31 said:

where is my pet pods 275 ? i didn't receive nothing from u wth is that no gold no soulstone nothing ?????????? 

They didn't say they will give Pet Pods or Soul Stones back, however, I didn't receive the transmutation gold either from the removed Pet Pods.

I lost 200+ plus pet pods to that I have <BEFORE THIS INCIDIENT>, and 530 pet pods I <BOUGHT> from F5, cost me ton a lot money, and now, you guys just removed them all? I had been played this game since the server start and really into it, spent ton and ton of my time and really life currencies!!! Give all my pet pods back, <REMEMBER I BOUGHT THEM>!!! I never play as a market merchant roller in game, all materials I farm and bought was used on myself, so at least return my original outfits and make pet pods to pet packs to me at least. Or I'm done with it, not just me, all my friends around are suffering your action in this time!!! I spent over (50K GOLD) in game to purchase pet pod before, and you guys just removed all!!! This is stealing my money and efforts!!! <AT LEAST GIVE THEM BACK TO ME IN PET PACKS!!!> Don't tell me you still INVESTIGATING!!! You said that two Weeks ago. Give me a certainly respond, don't just copy pasted everytime, I need a real solution, Don't play at doing sth!!! Or I'm out.