Forums

They cant do a roll back, here's why.

Faelynn

With a rollback they would have to refund nc coin spent during the event they would have to fix anyone's account that made a new char during this time because that char wouldn't be there, they would have to restore items and acc earned during that time and give all perm members the time on perm that was lost, they would have to fix a lot more issues then that it's more work to do a rollback then to fix the issue and give a gift.... they can't afford the time and money to do the rollback because of these issues and more, it would also take at least 3 days to reset the servers and during that time they would lose money and people to other games. they won't do a rollback and I don't even know where people have read that it was even an option because it's not. think of the manpower it would take to do all of this plus this game is only 3% of their total income so if they put all that in it would make the game in the black for them. doing refunds and paying the people they employe to do all of this. whoever started the rumor about a rollback was stupid and didn't know the implications of what they were talking about.

I have no experience whatsoever, but rolling back to a copy (which they should be making at least once a week) should be as easy as flicking a switch, no? Especially a MMO should be prepared for when ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ hits the fan, for example when a patch breaks something they need be able to quickly restore playability from the backup.  Coming up with a process and deciding which areas to roll back shouldn't be impossible with two or three people in the time span of 4-5 days. From my limited understanding at least.

I still don't think they should have done it, it is affecting too many people. From people taking the "moral high ground" and only buying salvageable outfits from the market, to investors, to the people who have moontides for eyes. People who revitalized pvp for the bounty of soulstones. It is hard to draw the line. Not often do I agree with what they do, but NC did make the right decision here.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb aKaidesu:

I have no experience whatsoever, but rolling back to a copy (which they should be making at least once a week) should be as easy as flicking a switch, no?

it stops to be that easy when in comes to real money, all real money payed stuff can't just be handled like *wooops it's gone* at least not without getting some real issues.

7 minutes ago, Belido said:

it stops to be that easy when in comes to real money, all real money payed stuff can't just be handled like *wooops it's gone* at least not without getting some real issues.

Repeat every F10 and F9 purchase made since the last backup. Give everyone 1 week Premium Membership. Anything else?

It also stops being real money the moment it is Ncoin, and Ncoin should not be subject to a game systems roll back as it should sit somewhere safer.

Edited by aKaidesu

vor 4 Minuten schrieb aKaidesu:

Repeat every F10 purchase made since the last backup. Give everyone 1 week Premium Membership. Anything else?

there are also f10 gifts between players, some trade of premium time are also done that way, some might be paid with "bad" gold, F9 will be same issue and so on...

Gerade eben schrieb War Panda:

they should have delete the outfit box or remove the pet from box ncsoft listen.

they just should have despawned the stupid NPC when the issue been showing up. But it either seems not to be that easy or ...whatever :playdumb:

2 minutes ago, Belido said:

there are also f10 gifts between players, some trade of premium time are also done that way, some might be paid with "bad" gold, F9 will be same issue and so on...

People who traded gold for premium membership might be a problem, I agree. For that you could make an exception and refund all premium membership purchases during that time. F9 may be tricky, but either just repeating the purchases or refunding them shouldn't be a problem. Sure, someone might not have had the gold to to sell on F9 yet and you end up with more. Although the refund is a much better option.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb aKaidesu:

People who traded gold for premium membership might be a problem, I agree. For that you could make an exception and refund all premium membership purchases during that time. F9 may be tricky, but either just repeating the purchases or refunding them shouldn't be a problem. Sure, someone might not have had the gold to to sell on F9 yet and you end up with more. Although the refund is a much better option.

well this been the issues just been coming in mind quickly and with all of that, they need to look to make no paying customer unhappy - I don't think there is an easy solution.

• Like 1

All Ncsoft had to do was make the saberfang pet + carp pet non-transmutable.. like the pet from the previous event (some lion cub?).

This is my idea and I think its a better solution than some, its not great but hey whatever. 

3 hours ago, Faelynn said:

I worked for Cisco and their servers, I have a certification. I know what I'm talking about. What education do you have?

So that menas u can put more than 8 cables into a switch?

They even provide every player with history about their transactions. What makes you think they can't use this to reverse transactions...?

It just wont happen because they just don't care.. otherwise this would have been fixed 24h after it came to their knowledge and then they would have rolled back the servers then....

Instead they released a "known issue" threat which told every last person how to do it...

Edited by Hated

4 hours ago, MassiveEgo said:

Masters degree in automation, robotics and self sufficient systems.

I would accept if it's about computer science or something similar but robotics is too far from it, so your opinion is really doesn't matter. İf u have real "information" about how is BNS database structure I would love to listen tho.

24 minutes ago, Shamael said:

I would accept if it's about computer science or something similar but robotics is too far from it, so your opinion is really doesn't matter. İf u have real "information" about how is BNS database structure I would love to listen tho.

well what he said wasnt totally unlogical unlike the cisco switch man... so why dont u ask him for proove they cant roll back because of ncoin? that souns way more insane? Or nyot?

1 minute ago, Hated said:

well what he said wasnt totally unlogical unlike the cisco switch man... so why dont u ask him for proove they cant roll back because of ncoin? that souns way more insane? Or nyot?

The thing is people think everything could be done just saying it, I just don't like people saying stuff which they don't really know how that works, just assuming stuff and saying "you should do this, this is how that work" or stuff. Without information, all saying is useless for me.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Faelynn:

With a rollback they would have to refund nc coin spent during the event

Which is also against law in some countrys cause they would give you hm coins not ncoin and also they would have to give you an option to pay thoose ncoin to real money again cause the service they bought was not delivered.

they would have to restore items and acc earned during that time

They wouldnt care to be honest.

and give all perm members the time on perm that was lost,

We had examples in the past. If we lose playtime due to NC they dont care about our prem.

they would have to fix a lot more issues then that it's more work to do a rollback then to fix the issue

If they had done it quickly the rollback would have been the better option for them. Since sunshine posted it there where definetly some people working at that time they should have seen this and simply turn off the servers.

and give a gift.

Hahahahahahahahahahah its ncsoft if they give out a gift its gonna be 1million xp and some super ugly outfit litterly everyone already has.

they would lose money and people to other games.

Thats no issue for ncwest as we seen in the past with alot of updates. You need to be Mentally challenged to not understand certain updates will result in a huge ammount of players quitting the game even tho a ton of players warn them every single time. (Probably gonna get banned for this sentence)

17 hours ago, Faelynn said:

I worked for Cisco and their servers, I have a certification. I know what I'm talking about. What education do you have?

Ah yes the cisco reply, If you did work for them then you would also know for that for approx. 13 years they allowed passwords to flow through in plain text. Hell they even stored passwords in plain text. I would not be proud to of worked for a company so inefficient in security and structure. Quite sad when ncsoft isn't as dumb as them. Oh wait they are just as dumb as them as they broadcast players emails and session keys, anyone that knows what to look for can find it in the memory.

The short answer is, they can't do a roll back because they don't know how. Never in the history of this game has a rollback ever been performed even with exploits almost rivaling this. They are glorified tier 1 tech support, you know the indian guy you get on the phone? That level. They have no knowledge and no power to even get knowledge. They will forever bow down to their overlords in KR.

And money? restoring ncoin due to a roll back would be childs play to the sheer amount of people that used the exploit. They lost thousands of dollars for every second it was in the game. Any sensible and competent company would of A: never publicized the exploit and B: shut the servers down the moment they noticed it being abused. Just accept that they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, and anyone that does has already left. No person with half the IQ of a monkey would want to work at this company. Just it being publicly posted with a how-to-instruction-manual from one of their employees is proof no one wants to work there. That person WANTS to be fired so they can collect unemployment all because it got extended.

Edited by bbali123

The only thing that was even remotely correct asides from the OP was what Imouto said about "if they did it earlier, it wouldn't matter so much."
You all can't seem to get things through your head. Restoring items is something you do by going back in the server logs.
Now if you do a rollback, this entire last week doesn't exist, therefore the items can no longer be "restored".

To put it simply, what they would have to do is they would have to take the current server, view every single little item that was obtained this last week by each individual, view the specifications, gotta make sure it doesn't break the code, then they would have to manually add each and every little item to every little character.
Even though there's so few active players, the logs will show tens of thousands of players, though checking if they were offline this entire last week wouldn't be the worst.
Then there's the issues of rankings in PvP and PvE. A rollback would then completely remove those rankings. And they can't do a thing about that, because if they were to manually set placements and made an error, then they themselves would have breached the code.
Achievements as well put towards runs. They'll have to go back and look and manually copy each achievement over, as well as completed storyline such as Steelbreaker or even main storyline.

And there's still more they would have to *manually* do, and this is just common knowledge. You don't need to work as Cistco or be the CEO of Nexon to know this kind of stuff. It's business 101. A roll back over such a large time frame would require so much work, and with the small staff in the west, it would likely take a week to even finish. Imagine all the baby-raging at that.

16 hours ago, Shamael said:

Well CS is the fundament on which you stand in order to get into robotics. This isn't the 70s, my dude. As for BnS database, as long as they have time stamps on everything that's being logged, they can hunt down every single instance of bug abuse that has happened (by employing a custom seeker algorhythm for example). We already know from dealing with support that they do have time stamps and even detailed logs for what and when, since they do reverse lost items now and then. Obviously the issue here isn't their ability to gather the necessary information, it's people questioning the level benevolence to not throw a bola  in everyone's feet and only punish first hand abusers (and they even limit that as well, which shows they do actually value us as players, even if some of us did something bad). Is that the most they could do? Absolutely not. Is it at least a decent step that doesn't screw out all the second hand involved people? Yes. In my opinion their decision to cut their losses, so to speak and not give us the iron boot, is probably the best solution for this situation. And if it's not obvious, they could've done a LOT more, rollback being the most extreme measure they could take.