Forums

In light of recent events - solution discussion

aKaidesu

Let's preface this with why NCWest/NCSoft are crippled in response time. I will refrain from describing the exploit in order for this post to stay up. 

It doesn't seem like a particularly hard thing to fix in fast response, however, the large scale implications on economy are not that easy to make undone and those already reached critical mass like 10 hours ago.

NCWest report those issues to NCSoft and the latter come up with solutions, usually. From the looks of it, I would guess, NCWest are forbidden to touch matters like these. NCSoft is probably not very able to respond to these things quickly, especially with the timing. They have been slow in the past, often taking 2-3 days for a "emergency" bug fix. Now, the issue was acknowledged about 13 hours ago, that's 7am in South Korea on a Saturday during a pandemic. Throw in that the issue does not happen on your own server but only on the "western" realms and any hint of a fast response goes out the window.

With a fast response not being possible, where just a little fix would have been needed, they will have to look at a wider spectrum of solutions. A couple examples:

• "Fix it". Change the price of [redacted item] to be in line with others , punish worst offenders, probably the people who bought the most [redacted item]. Try to roll back the server up until wednesday. Simply rolling back costumes seems like an easy fix, but the costumes are not even part of the problem.

• "Accept irrepairability". Change the price, like above. Accept everyone is going to have those outfits now, that pet pods are going to be super easy to come by. The market will adapt. Do nothing and the issue will fix itself. Surprisingly, not a bad solution. Some people will be butthurt about everyone having X costumes, but that is just entitlement.

• "Punishment". Hand out bans to everyone buying [redacted item] and accept the stab to the playerbase.

• "Embrace it". Change the price of all those items from the vendor to Naryu Coins and Gold. The problem will fix itself, accept that pet pods will be largely available. 

What are your thoughts? 

I have been reading some of the threads on this and people are EXTREMELY butthurt about it, which I find amusing. Anyone to your point then:

Fix it --> I think we're past the point of rolling it back without affecting a whole load of other things unjustly. 

Accept outcome --> I'd say put the costume back to original price, market will be a little odd in terms of pet pods and soulstones for a little while but eventually will correct itself due to supply n demand as it was before. 

Punishment --> not only do I think this is unfeasible, I also think that it would be slightly.. ironic of NCsoft to do this for the simple reason that they treat their playerbase like garbage overall with the sole purpose of milking people for as much money as they can. Now if they were an example of what good game management looks like and actually made an effort to keep the game in a good place, I feel like the amount of people that would have abused this would have been way lower in the first place.

Embrace it --> strongly of opinion that its a really bad solution, don't really have anything else to add to that. 

1 hour ago, JoannaRamira said:

Or make it an event instead.

Like.. so many cheap outfits OwO. Some of which are rare like Boss Mode and Silver Saberfang.  This Bamboo Village event make it easier to acquire them and let's not forget about Pet.

Tell that to those who bought it with money where it was supposed to remain exclusive. Luckily urban legend was removed, else would you also tell the same thing to everyone who bought a 1 year sub for the costume?

Are you kidding me? Do you really expect me to believe that it's that hard to wake a guy up and say "um, we have a problem, shut the game down?"  Or in the alternative, to just come on the boards and say "hey guys go for it" so we can all have a chance at the opportunity without risk of ban, or post a warning that offenders will be banned?  How is that so damn hard???  Incredible.

3 minutes ago, aKaidesu said:

Exclusivity claim is bogus. The ability to buy old boxes is there for a long time.

Yes but to buy those boxes you need to buy the rng boxes in the store the next time a costume event happens. So it is stil lfair for everyone involved.

59 minutes ago, Tufa said:

Are you kidding me? Do you really expect me to believe that it's that hard to wake a guy up and say "um, we have a problem, shut the game down?"  Or in the alternative, to just come on the boards and say "hey guys go for it" so we can all have a chance at the opportunity without risk of ban, or post a warning that offenders will be banned?  How is that so damn hard???  Incredible.

There is a possibility that a certain amount of players knew of that exploit long before today. There is no telling how much time has passed since they made the price like this, which will require some investigation. 

As to who is to blame: we don't know if NCWest has made everything inside their possibilities, and my guess as to how NCS and NCW communicate is only just that, a guess. My post aims to spark discussion for a solution. There is sufficient blaming going on everywhere else.

1 hour ago, Grimoir said:

Tell that to those who bought it with money where it was supposed to remain exclusive. Luckily urban legend was removed, else would you also tell the same thing to everyone who bought a 1 year sub for the costume?

Unfortunately... the beans already spilled.  Feel bad for those already invested the IRL currency.. but as you see now.. Those outfits are in F5.. very cheap, even below 50G.

a solution would be, check the logs on wednesday ban people for like 3days (you can't realy perm ban them since lack or player base.)

Than for pet pack would be just keep it as it is, but when new Pet aura and talisman stages came, make it from than on forward like a new pet pod currency like pet pod 2.0 or something. so people can get max with the current stuff but when new stages come they have to get the new pet pods. 
I think this would be for the best, so people wont cant max talisman and pet aura stages when the new tiers get released

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oyob said:

a solution would be, check the logs on wednesday ban people for like 3days (you can't realy perm ban them since lack or player base.)

Than for pet pack would be just keep it as it is, but when new Pet aura and talisman stages came, make it from than on forward like a new pet pod currency like pet pod 2.0 or something. so people can get max with the current stuff but when new stages come they have to get the new pet pods. 
I think this would be for the best, so people wont cant max talisman and pet aura stages when the new tiers get released

Could be good. The low tier pet pods could then also be made more available, from dailies for example, boosting progression up to a certain stage. Well rounded idea

I completely understand why some people are upset about this exploit. I heard a lot of people purchased Rosethorn for 2,000 gold the day before. I would feel the same way, but I also understand that in this particular scenario, this exploit sheds light onto the two biggest issues in the game. First, the support team, which is clearly having trouble running this game. Second, the community, which has resentment towards the support team for not listening or supporting the game they love, have used this exploit to get the support that they need which has not been supplied. Imagine if the game was being well supported, and the community was happy when this exploit was discovered. It probably would have been reported and dealt with months ago before a lot of people got word of the exploit. So this exploit just goes to show that this game is not being supported and will fail eventually if changes arent made.

4 hours ago, Grimoir said:

RNG Box outfits shouldnt be exclusive, if u want exclusivity you got 1 year prem.

We gonna limit the outfits now? its already bad as it is with how locked up they are in rng boxes and troves.

It's funny how people are mad about this exploit.  This exploit has nothing to do with your gameplay, I see it as a easier way to get outfits and some pets.  The outfit itself doesn't really contribute to your character stats, and the pet itself you need to use materials to transmute it into pet pods.  The price for Materials will go up as the price for outfit/pets will go down.  Not a lot of people will want to spend IRL currency to obtain those items which doesn't help you to live in reality.  Also I remember their "Philosophy" about not wanting to make this game into one of those Paid To Win games, but they went against it and make items to expensive to purchases in Hongmoon Store were a person need to spend XXX amount of IRL currency to obtain it.  When it comes to obtaining items in the game there are some that you really can't get without having to "Pay" for it.  While they make dungeons easy for those "New" players to be able to beat the bosses in Dungeons by taking away mechs without trying to learn "How to" beat it, you get those "trash" players with good gears with no brains, which is making the community really toxic with brain dead people.  Not long ago they reduce the gold for these dungeons, so for who mostly have incomes from doing them, their total earning for gold has been reduced.  Also, those PVP events where clans with whales abusing the farming area, stealing monsters and killing the weaker players, what did the NCS/NCW do?, completely nothing, how many people was butt hurt about that?  Well my point here is that there will always be mistake and no one can't be blame for it.  They abuse their players and we will do the same right back at a given chance. KARMA just live with, don't be a dung head.  This Exploit is just karma biting their ass right back.

But now you come to me and you say, 'Dear player, don't use bug.' But you don't ask with respect, you don't offer hotfix; you don't even think to call me Godcustomer. Instead, you come into my game on the day my character's to become rich and you ask me to loose gold -- for free.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Crimhare:

But now you come to me and you say, 'Dear player, don't use bug.' But you don't ask with respect, you don't offer hotfix; you don't even think to call me Godcustomer. Instead, you come into my game on the day my character's to become rich and you ask me to loose gold -- for free.

Vito Corleone intensifies