Constant FPS Drops

Rapt

Hey! So I'm a returning player and I noticed that the game has frequent FPS drops. I didn't have this problem 4 years ago, and since I've upgraded my pc while the game still looks the same. I don't believe that the problem is with my PC as I can run most games 144fps max graphics, but in this game my PC gets fps drops multiple times in a second with 60fps low graphics. Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by Rapt
Forgot a word

Half of the fps drops are caused by server wide synchronization events(my opinion based on tests and common knowledge) that happens because server is extremely stressed due to games bad, mainly, combat optimizations. So yea not much you can do to that. Basically, like lot of people say, there's so much more damage modifiers from gear and new classes and 3rd class specs that the game cannot handle them all when there's 6 players or more fighting the same boss. And because game can't handle it, game gets slowed down and that causes issues on server side, mainly lags and fps drops.

1 way I know this probably is the case is a simple test I did. I went to a location where i have constant 120 fps and no other people around. Then I waited until the next fps drop and lagspike and started taking time using a timer. What I figured out is that it does not happen randomly, instead it happens exactly every 1 minute. This suggest some form of sync events where server tries to keep up with everything and have every player up to date also as to whats going on in the whole server. Aka server freezes every players client for X seconds until everything is in sync again and then resume. That kind of event won't take that long so it looks like random fps drops or lag spikes for a normal person. Explains the reason why your graphic settings don't matter almost at all for fps.

Other half is just either bad PC or windows settings or bad general optimization in the game.

Edited by Amarathiel

On 09/05/2020 at 6:06 PM, Rapt said:

Hey! So I'm a returning player and I noticed that the game has frequent FPS drops. I didn't have this problem 4 years ago

Well obviously 4 years ago.. game had less content then it has now, no rocket science, game was 20GB+ back then, now it's 50GB+..

On 09/05/2020 at 6:06 PM, Rapt said:

I've upgraded my pc 

Since you're asking for help, help us out too by providing computer specs, There are few things that you can do to improve game's optimisation on your own, if you think your computer is under performing there are guides out there that could possibly improve your performance in game, however it comes with a cost, like dark and dull world experience aka (No Lightning in the world) - this one boosts FPS the most, DX12 ect ect, however if your computer is low-end then even optimisations like these won't improve performance by much.

You don't have to play with 32-Bit to do this optimisation, you can do it on 64-bit if that's what you prefer. You can try this out and see if it will help you, as far as I've heard this optimisation helped a lot of people running the game more smoothly and more stable, however this does modification to the gaming client, and you know how modifications goes in EULA... (USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK)

• 3 months later...

Good morning all.

I'm with the same problem, now i can't do MSP because if i'm killng mobs, the fps is 50-60 and when the alliance hit boss, suddenly the fps drop to 2 and sometimes freeze. The leader alliance kick me.  Having problem with the dgs WC and CC too

This has been happening for a few weeks. Before I didn't have this problem

Sorry, my english is bad.

Can someone post the instructions of this video that optmize 32 client ? I would like to try . The video is not resolution good. I can't learn nothing

Thanks

Percival 

• 1 month later...

yeah the issue is with game engine :( :(   and crashes every time i switch the app, like to check some guides or switch music, crashes straight away, already uninstalled all unnecessary apps, and nothing works, will try to follow instructions on the video, but srsly in 2020 having crashes just because you switching apps WTF. 

and especially i like, when they asking (advising) to reinstall the client, but they don't tell you that  30GB you will be downloading few hours, as they can not provide a normal connection, while from Russia i download it with the MAX speed (living in Ireland).  well so typical NC SOFT.

And another staff :) :) :) LOL. it says playable :) :) but it also crashes even without loading :) :) 

Edited by Georgeirl

On 14/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Georgeirl said:

yeah the issue is with game engine :( :(   and crashes every time i switch the app, like to check some guides or switch music, crashes straight away, already uninstalled all unnecessary apps, and nothing works, will try to follow instructions on the video, but srsly in 2020 having crashes just because you switching apps WTF. 

and especially i like, when they asking (advising) to reinstall the client, but they don't tell you that  30GB you will be downloading few hours, as they can not provide a normal connection, while from Russia i download it with the MAX speed (living in Ireland).  well so typical NC SOFT.

And another staff :) :) :) LOL. it says playable :) :) but it also crashes even without loading :) :) 

If the problem was universal then it would be happening to every single one of us, every time, so Game Engine is not only at play here.

Generally games crash because;

• They run out of memory, when the game has to deal with moving an object that doesn't exist, this is something unexpected and so it breaks, allowing programs to crash was a deliberate design by choice made way back when memory was a major limiting factor; and it's stayed with us since. 
  • Get interrupted while saving and the game files gets corrupted .
  • Get interrupted by another program or overheat.
  • Video Card Drivers can play a big role of crashing.
  • Anti-Virus can cause problems as well.
  • Hardware-related crashes, Although crashes caused by hardware are possible, most computer crashes are caused by errors in the OS software
  • Glitches, sometimes (although not that rarely) a component in your computer can experience transitory glitches
  • HDD/SSD
  • Software-related crashes
  • bugs in device drivers

And so on.

Trainers typically sit in RAM and observe the kind of instructions a game-exe file is sending and receiving

For e.g., it might come across a message in the game that says "Player hit by enemy. -10 Health points for damage." This message would then be read by the game to adjust the "player file" to lower the health point by 10 points.

The trainer will intercept this message and instead change it to "Player hit by enemy. 0 health points for damage." So the game will not change the health points stored in the "player file". This is essentially how god mode works.

Sometimes though, the trainer might send an instruction that is in a format that can't be recognised by the game file. 

Because the game-exe file is not able to understand the message, it throws out an error which leads to a game crash.

and sometimes, just activating trainers without actually using any tricks crashes the game on some PCs while the entire thing works fine on some others.

there is a lot at play when it comes to crashing, the game code is spaghetti there's no denying that.. but.. it's not solely on Game Engine, your computer comes at play as well.

and especially i like, when they asking (advising) to reinstall the client

They tell you this, because it's the easiest way to fix most of the problems caused by corruption in files, sure you can go on about and manually figuring it out and fixing it yourself, but it won't be as fast or as simple as Re-installing. However if the problem that you are having is not related to the gaming files but rather something else, then even Re-installing the game will not fix the problem, that's why you have "Event Viewer" and that's where you should always go when investigating where the problem lays.

but they don't tell you that  30GB you will be downloading few hours

One of the most common causes of a slow download rate is a poor internet connection. What you need to understand is that your download speed is affected by the entire connection chain. You are not connecting your PC directly to a NCSOFT datacenter; it rather looks like this:

[Your PC] ← → [Your internet provider’s local hub] ← → [Your internet provider’s Tier 1 connection] ← → {optional: International routing} ← → [NCSOFT content server]

while from Russia i download it with the MAX speed (living in Ireland)

Your ISP may have some bottlenecks on connections to different locations, sure NCSOFT Servers play a role in how fast you download as well, But so does your internet and your data can take a multitude of different routes between your computer and a remote server. Sometimes transfers simply get caught up in congestion along the way. Further, traffic from different ISPs (or even different locations with the same ISP) will be routed differently

Edited by SayhaSeer