Ebon Realm - distance perimeters and a heads up

CorrosionWhite

So I checked out Ebon Realm a little on my main yesterday and farmed my blooms this morning on the character I opened the box on.  Both happened to be ranged classes.  I was NOT AFK for either visit. Both times there was a melee class farming relatively close to my starting position.  What I noticed was that my characters would only hunt mobs that were approximately 20 meters away from my last kill or within approximately 50meters of my starting point.  What I kept seeing on both characters were the melee classes auto-killing mobs much further away from their initial starting point than either of my ranged classes.  First thing I did was check to see if there was any setting in options that let you manipulate the range of the auto-killing, there wasn't.  Then I thought that maybe melee classes had a wider search perimeter than ranged classes.  But after thinking on it more, perhaps it's the gap closer abilities.  I'm not entirely sure what the distance settings are for the auto-killing, and honestly I don't care enough to test it out, but let's say you auto-hunt mobs within 20-30 meters of your last kill and if that takes you outside of the maximum distance (I estimate 50 meters) from your starting point, then you automatically return to said starting point once the target dies if there is nothing within range.  At least that is the standard behavior I have witnessed on my two characters I went in with.    However melee classes gap closer abilities seem to be allowing them to auto-hunt outside of the maximum range. 

Let me just say now that I could be entirely wrong in that.  It is a fact however that both my ranged classes had their starting spots consistently invaded by melee classes attacking well outside the maximum range that either of my classes would go.  

This is not a complaint so much as a heads up.  If you want to AFK in Ebon Realm you might want to consider what type of classes are close to your location.  The Assassin by my Warlock decided that both spots were his and killed me even though their starting spot was clearly quite a distance from mine.  But since I wasn't AFK, and I'm vindictive, I returned to the same exact spot.  They killed me a couple more times but then left, I win \o/. 

I haven't tested it but obviously a melee char will move farther away from it's starting point since duh it's melee so it needs to be close to the mob to kill and that might look to you like the area is bigger when it's actually not.

Well no, it's not obvious that a melee would move further away from their starting point.  There are clearly perimeters set within the auto-hunt function to prevent that.  Otherwise your character wouldn't return to it's starting position.  And I did state that I had considered that melee had a wider distance than ranged classes.  I discarded the idea because it is unlikely that the devs would have designed auto-hunt with multiple perimeters.  It is far more likely that there is only one base set of perimeters for all. 

Edited by CorrosionWhite

What I saw. There is only starting point and no set starting perimeter. There is hunting range that your character is center of. Like radar. So when melee moves to mob its range moves with him. If mobs make ehh... a chain of ranges then melee can go till last mob. When last mob dies melee starts to move back to set starting point. If while he moves any mob gets into radar range then melee engages it and everything repeats. Funny thing if you set starting point near camp and then run to other side of map your character will return to starting point covering half a map with zigzag and killing mobs.

Range character just doesn't need to move that much so its radar doesn't move much.

13 hours ago, CorrosionWhite said:

Well no, it's not obvious that a melee would move further away from their starting point.  There are clearly perimeters set within the auto-hunt function to prevent that.  Otherwise your character wouldn't return to it's starting position.  And I did state that I had considered that melee had a wider distance than ranged classes.  I discarded the idea because it is unlikely that the devs would have designed auto-hunt with multiple perimeters.  It is far more likely that there is only one base set of perimeters for all. 

It is obvious since the melee needs to actually move to the mob, lets say the the search area is 50m and your char is attacking a mob at that distance: melee will need to walk all the 50m to the mob while the ranged char will only move like 35m and kill it from there so obviously the melee will walk further away even though the search area is the same.

Autohunting, warlock experience:

While auto hunting in a remote spot, I have wandered like 70m from my startpoint chaining mobs.  The key factor on ranged autobattlers wandering further out, is if the monster dropped a loot sack or not.  If it DID drop a loot sack, my character seems to autotarget ~15m from after walking up to loot to the next mob, possibly in the direction AWAY from my starting point.