Chat box bug

NorbertTheOpinionated

If I click to create a custom chat box, and then right click on it to establish my desired settings, I can set it to ... for example... only display party, and whispers. The problem with this is that if I close down the game, and then come back in, the settings I established no longer apply. It doesn't accept whispers anymore even though I told it to, clicked apply and confirm. I can't actually get it to save and retain my custom chat window settings.

Hasn't this bug been in the game for literally months at this point? Or am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, NorbertTheOpinionated said:

If I click to create a custom chat box, and then right click on it to establish my desired settings, I can set it to ... for example... only display party, and whispers. The problem with this is that if I close down the game, and then come back in, the settings I established no longer apply. It doesn't accept whispers anymore even though I told it to, clicked apply and confirm. I can't actually get it to save and retain my custom chat window settings.

Hasn't this bug been in the game for literally months at this point? Or am I doing something wrong?

This has to do with your save being corrupted on the server and it will not save settings for you there. I have the same issue and previously support was able to remove your last save that was corrupted so it would fix the issue but now....support has been of 0 help, they ask for 20 different things and none of them are actually related to the issue since its on the NC side and not PC side.

All i can advise is to always click on the little arrow bottom left corner on character select menu and choose local save instead of the cloud one.

Edited by Grimoir

• NCSOFT

Greetings,

“Use Cloud settings” is intended to overwrite any settings made during “Use current PC settings”, and the only way to save UI data to “Use Cloud settings” is to

1. launch client normally without any launcher bypass

2. disable and then enable cloud save

3. login to character

4. adjust chat settings to your preference

5. log back to lobby

6. close client normally so cloud settings would save (do not kill client process)

Please make sure you are not using launcher bypass and let me know if the listed steps don't fix the issue for you.

17 hours ago, PhoenixMitra said:

Greetings,

“Use Cloud settings” is intended to overwrite any settings made during “Use current PC settings”, and the only way to save UI data to “Use Cloud settings” is to

1. launch client normally without any launcher bypass

2. disable and then enable cloud save

3. login to character

4. adjust chat settings to your preference

5. log back to lobby

6. close client normally so cloud settings would save (do not kill client process)

Please make sure you are not using launcher bypass and let me know if the listed steps don't fix the issue for you.

@PhoenixMitra

I did what you said. Here are the results:

I run the program as the administrator on my computer also using the admin account. The first thing I did was did a scan to repair files and stuff. After that was done... I launched the game using the NCSoft launcher, and didn't bypass anything.

Cloud save was enabled already, but I disabled it. Then enabled it. Then logged in. Then adjusted chat settings. Then went back to the lobby. Closed the client normally, and then logged back in. The chat settings were back to before I adjusted the chat box settings.

After confirming that doing exactly what you said didn't work, I went further:

I clicked to Use Current PC Settings, and logged in. Then I logged in on the character, and altered the chat settings. Then logged back into the lobby, and then back into the game. It saved the settings correctly.

Then I logged back into the lobby and back all the way out of the game, closing the client. Then I reloaded the game. First of all, it automatically decided that "Use Cloud Settings" should be enabled by default even though I had set it to use the computer settings. When I set it to use computer settings again, I logged back in. It had destroyed my chat settings, and went back to the old settings prior to me making any adjustments. So it went back to the cloud settings, and overwrote the PC settings with the cloud settings even after I altered the PC settings. Furthermore, it won't let me alter the cloud settings. It has just decided that "THIS" is what the cloud settings will be set to, and no I can't change them. I can change them, but as soon as I log out, and then log back in, they are back to the settings before I altered them.

Keep in mind, this is AFTER I did a scan. I did the file scan file repair thing first. So it is not letting me alter my cloud settings.

After that didn't work, I uninstalled the entire game. Then I uninstalled the launcher. Then I went into the NCWEST folder and deleted the ClientConfiguration XML file so that it would be forced to create a new one. Then I restarted the computer and reinstalled everything. I went back into the game after all this and performed EXACTLY what you said again. It didn't work. It seems it won't let me update the cloud's settings.

Don't know if it helps, but I changed around my UI, and then logged out, and back in. It doesn't remember those changes either. However, I changed around my build, and it seems to be remembering that when I log out and back in. That is to say, if I change my build spec and what the abilities do, and which ones I have, it seems to remember that. Maybe this is because the ability choices might be saved on my computer, while the UI position of the buttons and such is saved on the NCsoft servers?

Edited by NorbertTheOpinionated

• NCSOFT

Greetings @NorbertTheOpinionated,

I'm sorry to hear that your attempt was unsuccessful. Please try the following:

Please make sure again that you are not using launcher bypass.

Please make sure that you saved “ClientConfiguration.xml” in the correct directory C:\Users\<player’s pc account name here>\Documents\BnS\NCWEST

Please make sure that you are not saving “ClientConfiguration.xml” in OneDrive or other location that client cannot access.

Please make sure that “ClientConfiguration.xml” is not set to read only.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, PhoenixMitra said:

Greetings @NorbertTheOpinionated,

I'm sorry to hear that your attempt was unsuccessful. Please try the following:

Please make sure again that you are not using launcher bypass.

Please make sure that you saved “ClientConfiguration.xml” in the correct directory C:\Users\<player’s pc account name here>\Documents\BnS\NCWEST

Please make sure that you are not saving “ClientConfiguration.xml” in OneDrive or other location that client cannot access.

Please make sure that “ClientConfiguration.xml” is not set to read only.

Thank you!

@PhoenixMitra

Yep. Here is a screenshot. Seems to be everything you wanted it to be.

http://imgbox.com/3ZSboTQz

Unfortunately, I find it unnecessary to ask for help here because I intervened for 1 week to do something but it became clear that they were unable to solve the problem. Or they didn't want to solve the problem. 

I still have a problem with cloud backup. :P  But I think there is a problem with support that don't want to publish about this issue.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:47 AM, Szvani said:

Unfortunately, I find it unnecessary to ask for help here because I intervened for 1 week to do something but it became clear that they were unable to solve the problem. Or they didn't want to solve the problem. 

I still have a problem with cloud backup. :P  But I think there is a problem with support that don't want to publish about this issue.

Well, this is a real problem. Let's just think about this logically for a minute. At this point multiple people have weighed in and said that they all have the same problem. That means it isn't on my end. It isn't just a setting problem that we need to fix. This means it is on NCsoft's side, and only they can fix it. I remember that this chat bug came into being several months back with one of the updates.

If I were to take a stab at it, I don't know if this is, for sure, the actual cause, but... maybe it has something to do with Microsoft not really doing much with Internet Explorer anymore? You see, there are certain things about Blade and Soul that don't work if you don't have your settings for Internet Explorer set the way NCsoft thinks they should be set. For example, if you set the security/privacy settings on Internet Explorer too high, the exchange/marketplace/auction house quits working in Blade and Soul because Blade and Soul pulls from those resources to make itself work. Now... that is hideously lazy programing practice because programing like that is not only a potential security risk, it tends to come back and bite you in the rear end when the company that runs the 3rd party program that your program is dependent on such as if Microsoft makes changes to their product, or quits supporting it, which could cause certain aspects of Blade and Soul to quit working, but regardless... it is what it is right? They did it, and now we have to deal with it, so here we are. Anyway... It is possible that Internet Explorer is used in some way to update the cloud settings for B&S and isn't working anymore. The only way to fix this would be for NCsoft to reprogram how the cloud settings are updated, then release a game update to change it to the new way so that it actually works again.

I can tell you though, this DOES need to be fixed, and it is well overdue. It's been months already. Why isn't this fixed yet? This is absurd. I can't change the position of things in my UI, and have the changes stick. I can't change my chat log settings. That isn't acceptable. This is basic stuff. We don't need another dungeon, or another 10 stages of some item that will take you another year to grind to give you +2% power. We need the core game to work. People are whispering me, and I can't see it. I am not going to redo my UI every single time I log in.

I appreciate the support, and we can continue if you want to, however I am pretty sure this isn't on my end considering that so many others have the same problem, and I recall people immediately making mention of it when it first started for me 3-6 months back. Therefore, we are probably wasting our time to fiddle around with my settings since it most likely isn't on my end. If I may request from NCsoft, what can you tell us about what efforts will be made to fix this? I would at least like an acknowledgement that this is a problem, and it will be worked on consistently until fixed. For example, this is not listed in the list of Known Issues yet.

• NCSOFT

Greetings everyone,

As you mentioned, this has been an issue for certain players for a while and we have tried to replicate it through our QA team. That's why I would like to ask you to share you findings with our Support team, who then can forward said findings to the QA team again with the hope that they would now be able to replicate it. Especially after you completed all the suggestions I shared with you without any success.

I know, this takes time out of your day, but ultimately, this is the only way we can continue trying to get to the bottom of this.

• 7 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, PhoenixMitra said:

Greetings everyone,

As you mentioned, this has been an issue for certain players for a while and we have tried to replicate it through our QA team. That's why I would like to ask you to share you findings with our Support team, who then can forward said findings to the QA team again with the hope that they would now be able to replicate it. Especially after you completed all the suggestions I shared with you without any success.

I know, this takes time out of your day, but ultimately, this is the only way we can continue trying to get to the bottom of this.

https://imgbox.com/W6nlDoej

Heya. @PhoenixMitra I did what you said, and gave the info in a ticket to NCsoft support. If you can check it, the support ticket is: #23606098 as well as #23479876

It has been 6 months. They haven't fixed it, and they haven't followed up with me. 6 months is ample time, so now I am forced to come back here to you. What do I do now?

Here is the evidence of the bug. I can post it at least. It is a legit bug.

I asked some people in-game. They say that, "yes," they have this problem as well.

Added attention to original GM

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

NCsoft has fixed this bug. My UI can save, change and update properly again. Happy day! Thank you NCsoft! I know I have been quite critical for the past few months because it feels like nothing has been getting done, and because of that, I don't want to ONLY be critical. When something gets done about the complaints, I want to give recognition and credit where credit is due! With the Cosmic Horizon update, this bug, that I reported has been fixed. I am not at all being sarcastic, or speaking in satire or anything. I actually mean it. Thank you for fixing this bug. My UI works again. Let it be known... I am shouting it now to anyone on this forum to see this: NCSOFT FIXED A BUG THAT WAS REPORTED TO THEM, WHICH PROVES THAT EFFORT IS STILL BEING MADE. IT TOOK 6-7 MONTHS, BUT IT HAPPENED! THAT GIVES ME HOPE FOR THIS GAME, AND THAT IS WORTH A LOT. THAT IS IMPORTANT! THIS WILL KEEP ME PLAYING LONGER, AND WILL MAKE ME MORE LIKELY TO PAY INTO THE GAME BECAUSE NCSOFT SHOWED THEY ARE ACTUALLY PUTTING EFFORT INTO FIXING PROBLEMS. THEY ARE WILLING TO LOOK BACK AND NOT JUST FORWARD AT NEW CONTENT!

Yes, caps, but you know what? I AM shouting. That deserves to be shouted. It should be. THANK YOU! In case NCsoft wants to see what gets a positive response from their players, here it is. Fixing performance and bug issues. PLEASE, let's see more of this.