Forums

Question about the "Classic" server

Planta551

Hey, as the title suggests, I'd like to inquire about something regarding the topic.

Quoting Nico:

This server is currently intended only for Korea and there are no plans to bring it to the west.

What's the reasoning behind this? Why would there be no plans of bringing it to the west? Currently, the largest majority of people I have encountered are waiting for such a server, not only for nostalgia purposes but also to treat it as a low-key test server. For a long time now we have been getting patches with something broken in them, patches which made a part of the player base quit and in the current state of the game, we can not afford such things. As the day goes by, less and less activity is to be expected and this can't go on for much longer, thus a test server would be very well welcomed.

A classic server would signify a boost in population / activity as a whole for a pretty long time span due to it possibly bringing back some of the old players and having some of the people which picked the game up recently and are struggling around in mid gear would also show some interest due to the mess the live server is currently in. During the peak times of the classic / test server, new content or QoL fixes could be rolled out onto the live servers, making the people give it another shot.

Something else I would like to point out is the huge likelihood of having game-breaking bugs or just simple "miscommunications", thus a public test server would be a way to avoid such problems and possibly allow us to communicate possible balance changes in terms of PvE and PvP, making Blade&Soul a more enjoyable game for everyone.

Anyhow, with this being said, I would like to repeat my question: What's the reasoning behind not bringing the classic server to the west? Even as a temporary server, it would mean a riskless transition to the Unreal Engine 4.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cor said:

Only thing it would do is make the normal server even more dead than it is already, opening a classic server for a game that only has one half dead server left is just nonsense.

That's sort of true, although, in the long run, it's more nonsense of not having one due to the countless possibilities of ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ups that we might face

2 minutes ago, Grimoir said:

Why would they invest in making such a server where there would never be any updates, any new content ?

I'd recommend re-reading my main message if that's what you are really asking, you'll find the answer in there ^^

il y a une heure, Cor a dit :

Only thing it would do is make the normal server even more dead than it is already, opening a classic server for a game that only has one half dead server left is just nonsense.

I mean, you would log into the test server would'nt you? same goes for  99,99% of the people reading this reply.  So it is only a good idea to open up a test server, especially to avoid potential disastrous mistakes. Think about the ammount of things that you could've been different if we had a test server on which players experiment the upcoming updates and give their feedback (That's assuming our feedback is taken under consideration, or else this would be meaningless). The daily gold nerf and weapon cost reduction fiasco would'nt have happened. PVE and PVP balance could've been way different. UE4 is'nt that far away from us now, and personally, i would love to test it before they implement it in normal server.

Classic server, in contradiction to what you just said, would lure many people back to the game, because as we all know Classic server would represent the most successful period of BnS here in EU atleast. All in all, i can't see any negative side effects for bringing classic server to EU/NA, and even if we assume the opposite, there is no way negatives would win over positives.

Edited by Datamazing

2 hours ago, Cor said:

One of the reasons the game is dying, its the fact that patch after patch the game becomes unskilled and newbie-friendly.
Most of the PvP players this game had, quitted the game for good after Awaken's patch, and nowadays there is no point on improving at PvP since there arent Esports ( talking about Arena ).

EU getting Classic BnS would bring those PvP players back to the game, and also a huge part of their viewers, which would make the game alive again, or at least playable.

Its just a matter of time that this game will die in EU:
I dont know much about the PvE scene, but for PvP, there are 5-6 players quitting every season, as playing in arena means queing against a Russian player with XML, or someone wintrading. If Ncsoft doesnt change this ( which wont happen ) the game will end up dying this next year 2020 for sure.

Bringing classic server to EU might be the only way to save this game

9 hours ago, Datamazing said:

Classic server, in contradiction to what you just said, would lure many people back to the game, because as we all know Classic server would represent the most successful period of BnS here in EU atleast. All in all, i can't see any negative side effects for bringing classic server to EU/NA, and even if we assume the opposite, there is no way negatives would win over positives.

The problem is the server would only be "cool" for a short time. People would join, level to 45, and do dungeons and thats it, the same dungeons over and over, no new content, no new updates , nothing. Once they reach a point where that "nostalgic" feeling isnt relevant anymore they would just quit and thats that.

I would give the server tops 1 month and it would be a ghost town by end of it, especially since the gear upgrade grind back then was 10x worse than what you have now.

7 hours ago, Grimoir said:

The problem is the server would only be "cool" for a short time. People would join, level to 45, and do dungeons and thats it, the same dungeons over and over, no new content, no new updates , nothing. Once they reach a point where that "nostalgic" feeling isnt relevant anymore they would just quit and thats that.

Sorry if I come off as rude but, do you hear only what you want to hear? You clearly ignored his previous point and the whole idea behind my post. If you are so against the idea, then at least please have an argument against the topic as a whole and do not just nitpick the parts you know you have reply negatively to. Allow me to repeat myself, the classic server would be basically a risk-free transition to Unreal Engine 4 due to us, the community testing the game before the release. 

6 hours ago, Planta551 said:

Sorry if I come off as rude but, do you hear only what you want to hear? You clearly ignored his previous point and the whole idea behind my post. If you are so against the idea, then at least please have an argument against the topic as a whole and do not just nitpick the parts you know you have reply negatively to. Allow me to repeat myself, the classic server would be basically a risk-free transition to Unreal Engine 4 due to us, the community testing the game before the release. 

that is the reason KR gets it first. They are the test rabbits.  One would assume obvious things dont need to be mentioned. For our region the classic server would simply be a waste of resources and time, and as much as i loved the 45 content and would like it to be relevant again, realisticly they better put the efforts into the actual servers and client than play around with a make -believe classic server.

The server would simply lack the patches and content vs current live to make any fixes / QoL changes even relevant as a lot of things that were in 45 content were heavily altered later on, so despite it being the same engine, things simply work too differently.

2 hours ago, Grimoir said:

that is the reason KR gets it first. They are the test rabbits.  One would assume obvious things dont need to be mentioned. For our region the classic server would simply be a waste of resources and time, and as much as i loved the 45 content and would like it to be relevant again, realisticly they better put the efforts into the actual servers and client than play around with a make -believe classic server.

The server would simply lack the patches and content vs current live to make any fixes / QoL changes even relevant as a lot of things that were in 45 content were heavily altered later on, so despite it being the same engine, things simply work too differently.

Only that we are not like Korea, there are quite a handful of differences between the Korean patches and the Western ones, although with a PvE bias, and in terms of the competitive scene, there should indeed be as little differences as possible. However, let's put it like this, given the fact that NCWest does not copy all patches 1:1, and even for the ones they do, we have had a history of errors with the patches, errors which I'm pretty certain you know of so there is no need to mention them. Other than that, it's worthwhile stating that having such a server would greatly increase the feedback from the users and possibly make the game more enjoyable supposing that for once our feedback will be listened to.

As a player only pvp, I will speak for my situation as I hope other players.
Having a classic server would be well appreciated by all those who knew the release, the game was mainly pvp with a more satisfactory balancing.
Exiting a classic server would then change almost nothing for normal, only the arena players would like to go there knowing that the patch would remain the same to ask the least work for the developers. Some curious people would test before going back to play their pve character on Jinsoyun / Yura.
As for the economy I do not doubt NCsoft to find a way to earn money whether it is in the form of a subscription or shop only in Ncoin.
Of course the number of players who would be willing to return to play on such a server should not be very big but the game dies anyway so I am in the mood to try things.

22 hours ago, Planta551 said:

Other than that, it's worthwhile stating that having such a server would greatly increase the feedback from the users and possibly make the game more enjoyable supposing that for once our feedback will be listened to.

But exactly due to those differences it wouldnt be. To explain it simpler, the classic server vs the curent live one would be just like KR vs NA. Too many things exist on live that would not exist on the classic one, thus any feedback from classic one would be completely irrelevant as half the systems arent there, the ones that are were altered on live.

Wasn't this "Frontier" server only a place to test out UE4 ? That the whole "classic" thing was just mistranslations from different people ?
Also if you mean you just want test servers, pretty sure we already have some but they're just not open to public, which is sad seeing how last 2-3 patches made a shtshow of this game. It would definitely need some people at this rate.

Edited by Rephirea

4 hours ago, Grimoir said:

Too many things exist on live that would not exist on the classic one

Only that I was not referring to the actual PvE systems by that paragraph, but rather the (system) changes which will come once with UE4, especially considering how our client performs significantly worse than KR's. 

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Rephirea:

Wasn't this "Frontier" server only a place to test out UE4 ? That the whole "classic" thing was just mistranslations from different people ?
Also if you mean you just want test servers, pretty sure we already have some but they're just not open to public, which is sad seeing how last 2-3 patches made a shtshow of this game. It would definitely need some people at this rate.

I play since Janurary 2016 and i can tell you if we have test servers they are not being used ! We had much more patches than thoose last 3 where you could have knew beforehand people will quit and dont like it but in the last 3 patches they got the most backlash since before mostly only PVP got worse and PVE got some changes people didnt like but it was nothing to complain about for most people.

Do you really think something like the weapon cost reduction could have happened if they had a test server with experienced players ? Hell even without experience they would have seen the reductions ingame are different from what KR sent them ! So i come to the conclusion either such a server dosent exist at all or its not being used.

Edited by ImoutoMaster

Ofc they have a test server, where would they make the livestreams from? :D You guys are just looking for something to complain about not knowing anything at all.

We dont need another test server like the Classic version of the game. Yes, I loved the old content, but what we have now is even better. Its only a test server for the capabilities of UE4 (starting with the visuals and I can say they are more than we can ask for). Then will come the core updates and mechanics. Theres not gonna be any content updates or new classes to test out. Thats why it will not come to the west. The server will be temporary and it will be separate from the live server. Why would you bring it to the west, make all the old people come back just to quit a few months after? If they dont like the game, not even a complete rework will bring them back. The people with PC problems will still have them. The change of the engine will fix some of the issues, but with bad PC management even the best engine in the world cant help you there.

• Like 1

Il y a 2 heures, ImoutoMaster a dit :

I play since Janurary 2016 and i can tell you if we have test servers they are not being used ! We had much more patches than thoose last 3 where you could have knew beforehand people will quit and dont like it but in the last 3 patches they got the most backlash since before mostly only PVP got worse and PVE got some changes people didnt like but it was nothing to complain about for most people.

Do you really think something like the weapon cost reduction could have happened if they had a test server with experienced players ? Hell even without experience they would have seen the reductions ingame are different from what KR sent them ! So i come to the conclusion either such a server dosent exist at all or its not being used.

I don't remember a lot of technical bugs back then aside from the freaking F2 bugging almost every major update. (exaggeration but you get my point, F2 bugged out so many times I've lost count)

Either it was "controversial" changes (losing gold rewards, blablabla) or it was a few fiascos (radiant energies) but nothing as horrible as the last 3 patches.

My conclusion is that either their "server" is a little something where you gather a dozen of players at best. (enough for the whole 'team' to test out the content sent off from KR) or that indeed, there's nothing at all. Knowing that their client is different from ours when they do livestream new updates, I'm for the first answer. Besides I doubt NC West can spend extra few money on making a test server big enough for the current playerbase anyway.
Some QA dedication would be welcome tho, one of the person that has to try out new stuff is supposed to also take care of yet another game from NC (Aion), that sounds like not-so-fun extra work for him.

Hell players could do that sht for free if it means having a better managed game at this point lol...

On 11/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cor said:

Good. That's the point. Let current crappy version of bns die. Let's go back. Reset. Without making mistakes were done in current. Get rid of : unity system, hongmoon point system. Make max level 45 and max hongmoon 30 but with 10x less exp needed for each hongmoon level. How to solve ults and lv60 passives? easy. Just make them lv45 skills which will be added when  required content comes out. New areas and progression? Well..game is gear based..that number which defines level is basically useless. All stas comes from gear. You actually don't even need to level up to complete story. This game actually would work as something without levels, just purely gear based...new skills  and mats to upgrade your weapons could be given as rewards from story quests, lets say they give enough mats for everythign up to true infernal, awakened siren and beyond would be something you would need to farm.Also once legendaries arrive you should be able to transform your true boss accesorries into legendary quality, instead of just salvage for 30 legendary jewels. Instant crafting time with low amount of materials. Make it possible to craft pve gear without moonstones/soulstones. maybe separating gear for pvp and pve. In other words you could craft pve transformation stone and pvp transformation stone. There are  lots of possibilities. 

The issue is there is currently a class out that never had a skill tree, alongside 3 other classes that were not in 45 patch, and you can add in warlock depending on how far the coding goes. This means they would have to do more than simply localize old coding, they would have to implement new coding and new skills, as well as a new system for classes that were absent during said time, all for about 20-30,000 players across 4 continents that make less money than a single countries localized server.
If they didn't wish to go through with those expenses, indeed, they could choose not to, however that would simple mean 80% of the current playerbase could not play on the 45 patch server as their classes have not been implemented, and many current day tanks/pvp classes were absolute garbage back then. While it was indeed better than the game is now, it is an unnecessary expense for such few players to join on.
In case you haven't noticed, the two servers that have anything like this currently are China and Korea, two servers in which players feel proud when they pay for their gear as it shows their status, thus netting much more money than a small or underpopulated server.

20 hours ago, YunoGasaiYandere said:

Good. That's the point. Let current crappy version of bns die. Let's go back. Reset. Without making mistakes were done in current. Get rid of : unity system, hongmoon point system. Make max level 45 and max hongmoon 30 but with 10x less exp needed for each hongmoon level. How to solve ults and lv60 passives? easy. Just make them lv45 skills which will be added when  required content comes out. New areas and progression? Well..game is gear based..that number which defines level is basically useless. All stas comes from gear. You actually don't even need to level up to complete story. This game actually would work as something without levels, just purely gear based...new skills  and mats to upgrade your weapons could be given as rewards from story quests, lets say they give enough mats for everythign up to true infernal, awakened siren and beyond would be something you would need to farm.Also once legendaries arrive you should be able to transform your true boss accesorries into legendary quality, instead of just salvage for 30 legendary jewels. Instant crafting time with low amount of materials. Make it possible to craft pve gear without moonstones/soulstones. maybe separating gear for pvp and pve. In other words you could craft pve transformation stone and pvp transformation stone. There are  lots of possibilities. 

If they did what you say its not a classic server anymore. Classic server means:

1. Farming Brighstone Ruins for merry potters recipy to make transformation stones

2. Crafting Viridian, cinderlands, Moonwater Transformation stones

3. Running dungeons several times because brilliant keys were not freely obtainable.

4. Running dungeons several times to have fodder gear to upgrade weapon and accesories (there were no legendary jewels and elements)

5. Farming PVP misty woods for Best in slot soulshields, then farming POH to be able to do Bloodshade.

6. Doing 24 man POH multiple times to get the breakthrough weapon and accessories

7. Farming dungeons for frozen stingers needed to upgrade all accessories and weapons.

8. Actually DOING all dungeon mechanics because there were no nerfs or mechanic removals at that time and no easy modes. (Especially watch people die on POH on pulling the switch because they dont know the timing or watch them die in Bloodshade when thrasher jumps to the roof or avalanche den where people failed to survive)

9. Farming blackwyrm for BiS Gems

10. Gathering materials for crafting and finding the materials needed to unlock them.

Thats a classic server. Without any gameplay changes, any new additions and any nerfs.

Hello, to reply to the classic server demand, I am one of them.

I used to play this game a lot, spending entire days in misty woods, practicing with people. As patches came I saw my character fleshed out in its combinations more and more and while it made it play out lot more smoothly, the game overall changed to be a much more fast paced pvp, more punishing, compared to back then only bd being able to pull off a fast 100-0 combination.

Awakening was the point I quit the game, about one month into it, it was just not the same anymore, no matter how many time i tried. There are a lot of people who quit earlier... Well I did not quit because I got tired of the game, no. My demands as a player were not met anymore, the reason why I got into the game no longer there. It is not a vague thing, but a long list of things I won't list here.

Let's just say, if a classic bns server came out I'd be back in a heartbeat and continue playing just as much as back then. Currently, I feel like my favorite game was taken away from me and now simply playing other games. I would even do a monthly subscription for a classic server, without all the item slots, pets, stupid cosmetic items with the old skill system that was entirely combo focused with a very steep and hard learning curve. For the game that was Blade and Soul, and even had its lore respected in it to a certain amount.

Cheers,
Some FM player

Oh, and 6v6 was amazing too until BT came out, I used to play it a lot.

• 3 years later...