Forums

Windwalking - Why I think it can be made better

Vayzex

Windwalking is in my opinion way better than mounts, but still has some flaws:

-As one of the games main selling points is the World Design that u can explore by Windwalking around, i think its a bad choice to add so many Windstriding Points, that its simply uneffective and a waste of time to not use them, and use Windwalk instead

-> For some reason they are even giving you Windstriding Points for new areas, so you can instantly Windstride instead of travelling to the new area ; that minimalizes the amount you windwalk             even more, which goes against their own goals?!

-Not only is it uneffective, but its also just not fun windwalking with such low stamina (im currently lvl48 and at 20.000 but from what ive heard 40.000 is the limit). Even though you can enjoy the   world with low stamina, the amount of (IMHO) explore-worthy areas in this game are rather low, as most of the landscape is plain. Stopping every 5 seconds in a desert is just tiresome and   doesnt increase the fun, so instead i usually windstride whenever i can/want to

I think reducing the amount of Windstriding Points you get; or not giving you Windstriding Points before you reach the area is a good solution to this. And to balance the loss of these Shortcuts: an increase of stamina. That way the amount of travelling for new players would go higher, but you could reach the points about just as fast/maybe a bit slower than usual. As for veterans, (but im not entirely sure, im still new) i think windstriding points at every daily/weekly(/monthly, dunno) quest and other major area should be enough, but that should be taken with a grain of salt as i dont know how this sounds for a advanced player

Edited by Vayzex
Grammar

You want to actually increase the amount of time people waste running around absolutely empty lands with nothing to stare at but the ground and sky, when the story is already a complete ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ing chore to suffer through since 90% of it is just running around being errand slave to lazy NPCs? Let's get real, this ain't Skyrim where every other square foot has something you can interact with or look at. The game world is about as lively and interactive as frickin Tetris cause they gave pretty much zero thought on anything outside of combat.

If they simply give infinite stamina permanently and everywhere in game, and increase sprint speed by at least 50%, MAYBE. Otherwise, NO.

Edited by PetPuggi
  • Like 1

Well thats ur view, but i enjoy walking around while doing the story. its true that not all of the map is amazing, but if u bring ur expectations down from "this should be skyrim-level" its actually quite enjoyable. and im missing the enjoyable parts of that world by windstriding, but sadly thats the only viable option unless u wanna waste 90% of the time walking and randomly stopping inbetween. and the environment does not make up for the amounts you would be walking. another reason why windstriding shouldnt be  so frequent is the fact that it destroys the entire atmosphere in the game, at least when ur playing the story (i obv. didnt finish it yet). the loading screen thats always ~40 sec. long just throws you out of the immersion. it also just feels wrong being able to teleport so often, its almost like a clicking simulator at this point, tping from point a to point b and every 10th quest u might have to travel a bit, and even that travelling is ruined by the stamina/speed, just like you said. i dont think a infinite stamina pool would need to be added, but it should definitely be boosted alongside the sprintspeed

Edited by Vayzex

vor 9 Stunden schrieb PetPuggi:

You want to actually increase the amount of time people waste running around absolutely empty lands with nothing to stare at but the ground and sky

One thing i forgot too mention: In my idea the travelling time doesnt change drastically (im no dev and i cant do the maths for how youd have to change things up tho; im not saying this is an easy task) ; so not only is the amount of running increased, but the amount of loading screens is decreased. so unless u love to alt+tab and do something else during these short breaks, this should only make your experience better, as you have more time in-game during which u are able to interact with players, run around, and enjoy the partially-awesome/partially-repetetive view

Edited by Vayzex

I agree that more stamina would always be nice. When I leveled up my archer this last few weeks I missed more stamina so much...

But then I remember Moon Refuge, where you have infinite stamina, but the area is so extremely huge, that it still takes 27 years  to get anywhere and is boring as hell... So I guess that only would help in certain areas and while you are leveling your characters.

9 hours ago, Vayzex said:

Well thats ur view, but i enjoy walking around while doing the story.

9 hours ago, Vayzex said:

waste 90% of the time walking and randomly stopping inbetween. and the environment does not make up for the amounts you would be walking.

You are contradicting yourself. Fortunately this suggestion won't ever get through. Also no one is forcing you to windstride. You can happily walk (not sprint) through all game except several locations.

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Crimhare:

You are contradicting yourself.

I shouldve said "a" story, since i didnt mean this game specifically, but all RPG games. I enjoy exploring the environment while playing

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Crimhare:

Fortunately this suggestion won't ever get through.

Why?

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Crimhare:

Also no one is forcing you to windstride. You can happily walk (not sprint) through all game except several locations.

I feel like you either are way more patient than me, or forgot how tedious it is to walk from place to place during the earlier stages of the game, because happily walking may be possible in some areas, but thats very rare and the amount of times ur stopped by enemies, have to wait 5 sec to get out of combat, or if u regularly run out of stamina is just too high

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Toshiwoshi:

I agree that more stamina would always be nice. When I leveled up my archer this last few weeks I missed more stamina so much...

But then I remember Moon Refuge, where you have infinite stamina, but the area is so extremely huge, that it still takes 27 years  to get anywhere and is boring as hell... So I guess that only would help in certain areas and while you are leveling your characters.

Yeah its true, It was an suggestion, testing would def be needed before executing something like this, the changes might make it worse after all 

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Vayzex:

Windwalking is in my opinion way better than mounts, but still has some flaws:

-As one of the games main selling points is the World Design that u can explore by Windwalking around, i think its a bad choice to add so many Windstriding Points, that its simply uneffective and a waste of time to not use them, and use Windwalk instead

-> For some reason they are even giving you Windstriding Points for new areas, so you can instantly Windstride instead of travelling to the new area ; that minimalizes the amount you windwalk             even more, which goes against their own goals?!

-Not only is it uneffective, but its also just not fun windwalking with such low stamina (im currently lvl48 and at 20.000 but from what ive heard 40.000 is the limit). Even though you can enjoy the   world with low stamina, the amount of (IMHO) explore-worthy areas in this game are rather low, as most of the landscape is plain. Stopping every 5 seconds in a desert is just tiresome and   doesnt increase the fun, so instead i usually windstride whenever i can/want to

I think reducing the amount of Windstriding Points you get; or not giving you Windstriding Points before you reach the area is a good solution to this. And to balance the loss of these Shortcuts: an increase of stamina. That way the amount of travelling for new players would go higher, but you could reach the points about just as fast/maybe a bit slower than usual. As for veterans, (but im not entirely sure, im still new) i think windstriding points at every daily/weekly(/monthly, dunno) quest and other major area should be enough, but that should be taken with a grain of salt as i dont know how this sounds for a advanced player

You are 2+ years to late

When the game was released thats was exactly how it worked. You had to explore the whole map and you had to walk to the next windstride point to unlock and use it in the future.

We also had a max of 20k stamina, 30 and 40k where introduced much later. Most even just had 15k cause the item you need to unlock the 20k was very expensive (50+gold) when you only got silver from doing dungeons / dailys ^^

The reason why they changed this and you now have all needed windstride points unlocked without walking to them was the decreasing population. When we start playing every area was full with people playing the story, doing daily sidequests or fieldbosses. Now most areas are abandoned and you very rarely meet someone when you walk throug cinderland / moonwater and even silverstone. 

Switching back to the old system would just make the storyquest a much bigger timesink where you would have to run for hours through abandoned lonesome areas. 

And belive me, when you will start playing an alt, and have to do the story again, you will be glad you can pass it quite quickly.

• Like 1

vor 54 Minuten schrieb MassiveEgo:

At this point it feels dumb that we need to stop after 40 seconds, just because. We are on par with the guardians when it comes to abilities.

Exactly. It doesnt make sense lore-wise, and isnt balancing the game in any way. I fell like its just there, "to exist". No reason whatsoever to not make the cap higher/remove the cap. 

Am 11.10.2019 um 12:24 schrieb Merlin DE:

Now most areas are abandoned and you very rarely meet someone when you walk throug cinderland / moonwater and even silverstone. 

I guess its maybe not as fun as before to walk these long distances, but thats still not a valid reason to change it. I mean, the logic is contradicting itself: They changed it so theres more windstriding because of the declining player rate in these areas??!?! That makes the players walk even less, which ends up in COMPLETELY DESERTED areas, instead of LESSER POPULATED areas. No logic right there. 

These places are boring, simply because they repurposed lower level locations into story ones. Back when the game started, leveling progression was well paced and you had to FIGHT to get through a zone. I distinctly remember the razorwing ravine being hardcore prior to getting your hands on Tomb of Exiles gear and even then it required technique to kill stuff, as enemies didn't die in under a second.

Am 13.10.2019 um 00:49 schrieb Vayzex:

I guess its maybe not as fun as before to walk these long distances, but thats still not a valid reason to change it. I mean, the logic is contradicting itself: They changed it so theres more windstriding because of the declining player rate in these areas??!?! That makes the players walk even less, which ends up in COMPLETELY DESERTED areas, instead of LESSER POPULATED areas. No logic right there. 

Back in time when the game was released we had a Hongmoon weapon and Hongmoon assessouirs which needed to be upgraded. We need to farm all areas, dungeons and field bosses like Gold Deva, Lycan, Jingshi to upgrade our gear. Now you get all you need from the Story mainline, upgradeable gear doesnt exist under level 50+ anymore. thats why all these areas are abandoned. Even if you still would have to walkt from point to point tu unlook windstride point, you wouldnt meet anyone. The lower areas are not less populated, they are already completly abandoned since about 2 years.

There are maybe a few people doing the story and most of these chars ar alts off veteran players who did the story multiple times and just rush through it.

So forcing people to walk and unlook all windstride point would unnessesarily make the story much longer and would frustrate people. When you start leveling an alt you would know what i mean.

Edited by Merlin DE