Possible reason for bad performance in Blade and Soul

CookieDAce

Hello,

maybe this might help improving the performance of the game. I noticed that the FPS drops and shutters are only occurring while being in battle and actually attacking. The moment I stop attacking, or if I die the FPS rise up and the game is running smoothly. Having other player hidden (Cntl + F) doesn't impact the performance while not attacking. So I assume that the damage calculation of dealt damage is the actual problem for the performance. With the actual content we have, on top of the RNG based damage calculation, a lot of additional effects on accessories, weapons, Soul Shield, Mystic, Boss AP and so on. All things which weren't considered when the game was developed, at that time just the RNG based damage system were made with amplifiers as critical chance / damage and additional damage.
Comparing it to older content, for example the Silverfrost content update, the game ran a lot smoother and with higher FPS, even while being in fight.

TLDR:

My suggestion is that the damage calculations got too massive and complicated today that it heavily slows down the performance, because the system haven't been designed to work with so many variables. If you could ease up the calculations or maybe improve/streamline the damage calculation system client and server wise, the performance of players with no high end PCs will improve and Raids will be playable with more than 10 FPS.

I hope someone from the NCSoft team reads and sends this suggestion to the developers.

With regards,

Cookie D Ace

• Like 1

Reason is simple. UE3 is VERY bad choice for MMORPG game like blade and soul>
To solve it try running game is high priority
Press ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager
Go to details tab.
Leave task manager open. Then run the game.
Once you press play button ther should be blade and soul process in details tab.It has blade and soul logo next to it. 
Right click on it. Choose "set Priority"
Select high priority
Confirm priority change.

Changin priority is recommended while game is loading.
P.S

You can change priority of any program if you wish to make it work faster
Information is not saved. Next time you run program it'll be set to normal mode so you'll need to set it on high priority again.
That means you need to repeat all steps when you close and re open the game 

On 2.9.2019 at 4:00 PM, CookieDAce said:

Hello,

maybe this might help improving the performance of the game. I noticed that the FPS drops and shutters are only occurring while being in battle and actually attacking. The moment I stop attacking, or if I die the FPS rise up and the game is running smoothly. Having other player hidden (Cntl + F) doesn't impact the performance while not attacking. So I assume that the damage calculation of dealt damage is the actual problem for the performance. With the actual content we have, on top of the RNG based damage calculation, a lot of additional effects on accessories, weapons, Soul Shield, Mystic, Boss AP and so on. All things which weren't considered when the game was developed, at that time just the RNG based damage system were made with amplifiers as critical chance / damage and additional damage.
Comparing it to older content, for example the Silverfrost content update, the game ran a lot smoother and with higher FPS, even while being in fight.

TLDR:

My suggestion is that the damage calculations got too massive and complicated today that it heavily slows down the performance, because the system haven't been designed to work with so many variables. If you could ease up the calculations or maybe improve/streamline the damage calculation system client and server wise, the performance of players with no high end PCs will improve and Raids will be playable with more than 10 FPS.

I hope someone from the NCSoft team reads and sends this suggestion to the developers.

With regards,

Cookie D Ace

This actually would be worth a try for them to test around. Without gear equiped you don't rly have that much of stutters/fps drops.

How can the server be at fault when I have no problems running this game? No FPS drop, no freezing, no shutter. Runs perfect all the time. I used to have all those problems until I had my connection serviced. Many people on this forum have made a joke out of my solution. All I know is my game runs perfectly now so laugh all you want.

Am 3.9.2019 um 18:10 schrieb YunoGasaiYandere:

Reason is simple. UE3 is VERY bad choice for MMORPG game like blade and soul>
To solve it try running game is high priority
Press ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager
Go to details tab.
Leave task manager open. Then run the game.
Once you press play button ther should be blade and soul process in details tab.It has blade and soul logo next to it. 
Right click on it. Choose "set Priority"
Select high priority
Confirm priority change.

Changin priority is recommended while game is loading.
P.S

You can change priority of any program if you wish to make it work faster
Information is not saved. Next time you run program it'll be set to normal mode so you'll need to set it on high priority again.
That means you need to repeat all steps when you close and re open the game 

Hey,

changeing process priority isn't helping a lot for me, I have already tried around with everything I was able to, I also messed with FTH, Nvidia Profiles, Windows settings and so on.

At the moment I am just hopeing they won't make the same mistakes with UE4.

21 hours ago, CookieDAce said:

Hey,

changeing process priority isn't helping a lot for me, I have already tried around with everything I was able to, I also messed with FTH, Nvidia Profiles, Windows settings and so on.

At the moment I am just hopeing they won't make the same mistakes with UE4.

weird..because Nvidia settings+ high priority process made game playable for me at 64 bit geforce 660..now I use 1060..still..game worked decentyl even with older card. Still..that works for PC..not sure about laptops

vor 15 Stunden schrieb JiuJitsu:

also, turn off motion blur, nvidia hairworks, & especially turn off 'use context reflex guide' that kills frame rates (it's what shows up what skill to use to defend vs. boss attacks)

I never ahve seen anything from hairworks

I have already tried quiet everythign possible to optimize the client, tested ingame settings (like context guide and quest sorting), nvidia profile settings, windows settings and FTH.

But the problem with the huge FPS drop persists, as far I tested it, my FPS were better with less gear (takeing off pet, badges and accessoriers) but I cant change anything to improve it.

Thats why I still hope my  suggestion will reach the devs xD

BnS is very CPU intensive so upgrading or overclocking the CPU can help a lot.  Both have their drawbacks though. 

Another weird but effective thing that worked in the past at least is unchecking/unfollowing quests.  Track only the one(s) you are actively pursuing.  You want as few items as possible visible on the quest list on the screen.

I found that running the Client.exe in high priority with affinity set to all cores also helps.  At one point in time, the thing to do was set Xigncode to its own core.  You don't need to do that now.

More things to try are in this video:

I don't get the frame drops and I'm running 50 - 100+ FPS and I don't have a super-expensive game rig. 

CPU: Intel i5-8600

RAM: 16GB

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO

I hope this helps.

After reading a lot about experiences of other people and my own experiences in the game, I can say that at least half or most of the performance issues are not graphic based issues. What I mean by that is most lag spikes, stutters, fps losses are caused by something completely else than badly optimized graphics and animations. I'm starting to think the actual graphic optimizations are decent and those are not the problem, mainly because many of the people I read get 0 improvements to performance after changing graphic settings. If changing settings doesn't help, graphics cannot be the source of the problem.

I have noticed that more people there are, more lag you get. That would suggest problem lies in player character coding and how it interacts with others and world. Game freezing when warlock casts soulburn, raids being laggy as hell, game stutters when boss does something only when players are in combat all suggests problem is in core coding of the characters that clogs the system and slows down the functionality of the servers as they can't handle the poor management of shear number of requests all player characters do, causing a lot of lags.

Either that or/and how client english translations are handled as some people have suggested, which is possible. Or something completely else. All I do know is graphics are definetly not the cause of these performance issues. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Am 8.9.2019 um 16:59 schrieb Amarathiel:

After reading a lot about experiences of other people and my own experiences in the game, I can say that at least half or most of the performance issues are not graphic based issues. What I mean by that is most lag spikes, stutters, fps losses are caused by something completely else than badly optimized graphics and animations. I'm starting to think the actual graphic optimizations are decent and those are not the problem, mainly because many of the people I read get 0 improvements to performance after changing graphic settings. If changing settings doesn't help, graphics cannot be the source of the problem.

I have noticed that more people there are, more lag you get. That would suggest problem lies in player character coding and how it interacts with others and world. Game freezing when warlock casts soulburn, raids being laggy as hell, game stutters when boss does something only when players are in combat all suggests problem is in core coding of the characters that clogs the system and slows down the functionality of the servers as they can't handle the poor management of shear number of requests all player characters do, causing a lot of lags.

Either that or/and how client english translations are handled as some people have suggested, which is possible. Or something completely else. All I do know is graphics are definetly not the cause of these performance issues. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

With all my testing so far (doing this for 2 years, still didnt found a good aa compatability bit for SGSSAA), I can just agree with you. Changeing graphical setting I achieve maybe 5 FPS compareing low settings to high settings. There are some small tweaks to the nvidia profile I found, but even the profile working best, is kind of linked to the graphic cards you use, so everybody have to do the testing by himself. For example on my main rig with an gtx 780 the normal bns profile works best, but on my notebook wiht an 1050 the client.exe is working better.

But the main problem lies deeper as Amarathiel suggested, same goes with my suggestion at the start of this thread. For my experience, playing since the Close Beta, the client ran way smoother even with way higher player count at release. You have been able to 24 man Poharan without any problems FPS wise (at this point hideing Charakters with CTRL + F haven't been implemented), all charackters enabled and all effects on max. But the further we get new content, new accessories and bonuses and so on, the lower our FPS are.

As I mentioned at the Thread Start my guess is, that on one hand, the damage calculateing system wasn't made toi handle so many bonuses and other variables, and on the other hand that like Amarathiel suggested the codeing isn't keeping up with the newer content changes and that it just cant handle everything.

Translations also may be a problem, depends on how they are implemented, but we also have a way too messed up client, with Item IDs of every item since released, or not released.

I bet we still have all the old skill IDs since release which just pile up somewhere and block the performance aswell, because the client is constantly checking what it have to process and that not. You can try it by yourself with opening your inventory and just hover around your items, you will notice how hard your FPS will drop. Maybe it will also be helping to clean up the client from old unused item and skill IDs. I hope this will be done anyway with the new UE4 client, therefore I hope that devs will just implement things which are actualy used, instead of implementing a library with everyhing piled up.

Still hopeing that someone from NCWest will read this and maybe get this to the devs.