Why the low FPS in B&S?

So, I have an honest question. This isn't trying to "gotcha" anybody. I am legitimately trying to understand precisely what is causing this. (I am an engineer, and not knowing is bothering the heck out of me.) Here is my scenario:

My rig: Haswell intel 4770k processor, 16GB ram. SSD (SATA 3 cable connection type).

WAS running a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 video card. B&S was getting 58-60 in the world out by myself doing nothing, 48 frames per second in Mushin's tower with a bunch of people around me, and would dip to 19-28 during substantial stretches of boss fights where a significant amount of flashy particle effects, and ability skills are happening and such (That is with CTRL + F to turn off show players).

I recently upgraded to a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 video card. Nothing else about my rig changed. Now, Blade and Soul gets 120 Frames per Second out in a field doing nothing by myself. It gets about 48 frames per second in Mushin's Tower with a bunch of people around, and it gets 19-28 frames per second during substantial stretches of boss fights where the particle effects are going (That is with CTRL + F to turn off show players).

Here is a benchmark comparison:

firefox_2019-07-11_14-07-59_zpsjtihndth.

With that much power difference, I should be seeing more of an improvement, but I am not really seeing any improvement anywhere EXCEPT when I am off by myself in a field with a few NPCs around me. I tried running the game stock. I tried running the game with Blade and Soul Buddy with the improved Frames Per Second settings as Blade and Soul Buddy's creators recommended. Yeah Blade and Soul Buddy helps, but it can only do so much. The values I listed above were my optimum performance, which was obtained with B&S Buddy. Without it, the numbers were even worse.

I have downloaded, and run benchmark tests on my video cards, and they do actually match the listed specifications, so I know I didn't just get a bad video card. Additionally, when I run other games that are graphically impressive and can hurt video cards at high settings such as Nier Automata, Nier runs at about 28-38 FPS on my old 660, and maintains a solid 60 FPS on my new 1660. (By the way, Nier automatically caps itself at 60, so it can't go higher than that even if the video card could push it faster.) So the improvement is solidly noticeable in other games I play (Tera as well), but not in B&S.

Now, what is interesting about this is that I also bought a new monitor recently. It is a 4k monitor. 60hz. 2ms response time. 28" QLED. Fancy. *sips tea* Pinky out.

(I literally completely disconnect one so as to not make the video card deal with both at the same time. Also, yes I am using a Display Port version 1.4 cable.)

When I run B&S on my old 1080p monitor, I get the specs I listed above.

When I run B&S on my new 4k monitor, yes, B&S runs in 4k, and, by the way, looks glorious in terms of image quality. The specs are surprisingly similar though. It gets about 48-58 FPS out in a field by myself. It gets about 35 in Mushin's tower. It gets about 19-28 FPS during graphically intense parts of boss fights. (Again with CTRL+F to turn off showing players and their skill effects) (This is with the 1660 graphics card).

So B&S's performance doesn't really suffer that much when you increase the amount of pixels the video card has to push by a multiple of 4, but it also wasn't really that good to begin with. The old resolution was 1920x1080. The new resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels. It seems like nothing you do is going to get B&S to actually run at 60 FPS solidly when you actually need the FPS to perform when it actually matters such as boss fights.

Interestingly, when I run Nier at 4k, my video card screams, "ARGH! IT BURNS! WHY?! TURN IT OFF!" which is the predicable response. Nier Automata running at 4k with the 1660 runs at 12-18 FPS. When I tell Nier to run at 1920x1080, which is the same 16:9 aspect ratio as 3840 x 2160, it pops back up to a solid 60 again, though it obviously doesn't look as glorious. I can actually run Nier at 2560 x 1440, and still maintain a solid 60FPS with the 1660, but I can't run anti-aliasing. If I turn anti-aliasing to even x2, it does drop to 53-55 FPS.

Another interesting quirk of Blade and Soul is that Blade and Soul runs at whatever resolution you set Windows to run at. So for example, if you set the resolution in Windows to 3840 x 2160, B&S runs at 3840 x 2160. If you set the resolution in windows to 1920x1080, B&S runs at 1920x1080. It doesn't matter what you do when you go into the settings, and change the resolution in the actual in-game Blade and Soul interface where you can adjust the resolution. If you want to run windows at 3840 x 2160, but Blade and Soul at 1920x1080... no. Sure B&S will show you in the in-game display that it is running at 1920x1080, but it isn't. If Windows is running at 3840 x 2160 B&S is running at 3840 x 2160 too. If you want to run windows at 1920x1080, but you want to run B&S at 3840 x 2160... no. Sure you can command B&S in-game to run at 3840 x 2160, and the little drop down box will even say that it is running at 3840 x 2160. The screen goes black, flashes, and reappears and everything, but I am telling you right now, the game is running at whatever resolution windows is running at, which raises a question... WHAT IS THE IN-GAME RESOLUTION DROP DOWN ADJUSTMENT BOX FOR THEN?! IT DOESN'T DO A DARN THING! THE STUPID THING DOESN'T WORK! This is a bug. Please look into it since they are working on their big graphics overhaul.

I am kind of inclined to run B&S at 4k resolution just because the game runs at about the same FPS like garbage no matter what you do at 1080p, 1440p, and 4k, but at least at 4k, your 19-28 FPS slide show during boss fights looks pretty.

Anyway... other games perform predictably, but NOT Blade and Soul. My question is: "Why?" Please no corporate smile and nod excuses. I need to know what I would actually need to change to make it run at a sustainable 60 FPS, during boss fights, which I can't hit no matter what I do. Hit me straight between the eyes with the honest to God truth, even if it is painful. I want the truth, not a pretty lie. It COULD be that B&S is just horribly optimized, and can't run decently on anything. On the other hand, for all I know, there COULD be a decent answer to this actually, such as... "Well, you only improved your graphics card. B&S (as well as most NCsoft games actually) is FAR more processor intensive than most games that companies make, so other games such as Nier responded to your specific upgrade more predictably, but if you want B&S to run at higher sustained FPS (60), you are actually going to need to get a better processor. The 4770k in terms of benchmarks isn't terrible, but it simply isn't the best either by any stretch. Your FPS didn't change much because your processor didn't change." Or... some reasonable explanation like that maybe?

Am 12.7.2019 um 18:48 schrieb Grimoir:

Blade and Soul is quite CPU heavy than GPU. You will not notice any improvement until you upgrade your CPu.

and with some bad luck and/or bad choice it will be still pretty much the same as BnS will not care about the recent trend to multi-cores with 8 or more physical processing units.

Edited by Belido

8 minutes ago, Belido said:

and with some bad luck and/or bad choice it will be still pretty much the same as BnS will not care about the recent trend to multi-cores with 8 or more physical processing units.

It all depends how they do the port to UE4...tho i am honestly not expecting miracles.