FPS Dips at Exact Intervals

i wouldn't even bother revealing... thank you!

Spoiler

i have spent the last 2+ weeks trying to fix this, and this is exclusive to Blade & Soul. i am unable to reproduce this in any other game, online or single-player. i can't reproduce in benchmark applications either, or while stress testing. i can even run Conqueror's Blade at the highest settings very smoothly for hours on end, which is a MUCH more system demanding game than BnS is.

okay! so, i have spent lots and lots of time trying to fix this. and even re-installed Windows 10 Home x64 at least a half-dozen times. i have tried out SO many different Windows and driver configurations it ain't funny.

in the end i was able to rule it down to be only happening in Blade & Soul. the only thing i have probably not tried is using an earlier version of Windows. i only have the one OEM key Windows 10 Home, and don't plan to buy a key for an older version or even pirate it. thank you!

the symptom?

at exactly 60second intervals, give or take a few seconds depending if there are other players around or not, the game suffers from a major FPS dip. this NOT to be confused with standard fluctuations that may occur throughout normal gaming. i know the difference between load lag and network lag and all that good stuff... mmmkay?

i have noticed this FPS dip is proportionate to your current frame rate. so, it doesn't matter how high i allow it to go or how low i cap it. if i am running 60fps, it will dip to 42. if i am running 120fps, it will dip to 76. and at 30fps capped, it will dip to 25. in all cases the dip is not smooth and causes the entire game skip for a very brief second. the game recovers from the dip almost immediately, but is still not tolerable. especially not tolerable when i know other people are not having this problem.

anyone have any ideas? anyone? please? T_T

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

system specs

Windows 10 Home x64

AsRock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard

MSI Aero GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Intel Core i7 8700k

Team Group Vulkan DDR4 2400 2x8GB RAM

i forget what the PSU is, but i have already ruled that out as a probable cause.

Spoiler

okay!

i used a different drive to install some older versions of Windows 10 Home x64. at first i tried a 2015 version, but drivers would not work. so i went to October 2018 this issue was still persistent.

but i did learn something! just for the sake of it, i tried out other Unreal Engine games. and there appears to be a performance issue all across the board with UE1~3 games. a UE4 game called Fortnite seems to run perfectly. i played for about an hour and never once had issue with FPS, not even traveling from one end of the map to the other. again, the game seemed to play perfectly, which included opening and closing menus.

this was what i found...

Deus Ex (1999) - Unreal Engine 1

the game seemed to play normal

opening and closing the main menu with ESC caused FPS drops

no FPS dips at any interval

using a cheat to fly/ghost it was possible to go high enough and see enough map to drop my FPS to 1.

Lineage II - Unreal Engine 2

major performance issues

unable to confirm menu lags

no interval dips

Priston Tale 2 - Unreal Engine 2

minor performance issues

no interval dips

Blade & Soul - Unreal Engine 3

little to no performance issues

opening and closing the main menu with ESC caused FPS drops

interval FPS dips

BLESS Online - Unreal Engine 3

little to no performance issues

interval FPS dips

Fortnite - Unreal Engine 4

seemingly perfect performance, no issues

no menu lags

no interval dips

Spoiler

okay! again!

some more info...

turns out performance issues with Deus Ex was something to do with the color bit depth it was set to use.

performance issues with Lineage II and Priston Tale 2 were related to the older installation of Windows. that is, from when i trying that out installed to a different.

HOWEVER...

BLESS Online and Blade & Soul are STILL experiencing the same thing. a FPS dip at an interval of 60seconds.

the only two things i can think of these games have in common are...

1.) they are both always online

2.) Unreal Engine 3

i tried ExitLag and tried ProtonVPN. neither changed anything about the FPS dips. only thing left is Unreal Engine 3. thing is... i have Unreal Tournament 3, and it plays perfectly. WOW!... after digging out some old game discs, i found both UT3 and UT2004. they both play perfectly.

i just don't get this... what in the world could be causing these FPS dips?

what can i do? there must be a way to fix this issue... *so sad*

Edited by bns7426700027
  • Like 1

Spoiler

standing anywhere and doing anything. i could be out of the way from players... inside even the smallest area even. like, even inside a room you portal through for a quest. it doesn't matter where in the game i am, or what i am doing. even just standing there doing nothing it happens. it is consistently reproducible, and only so with this game.

i know other people are not experiencing this, and that is what is pissing me off. i am so extremely mad at this problem... FML

i have been through the ringer on this one... tried so much and nothing works. there must be something i haven't tried yet.

installed Windows at least a half-dozen times trying to resolve this.

i have tried...

nvidia profile fix with profile inspector.

things like disable iGPU.

actually using the iGPU.

using the iGPU without the GTX installed, and no driver for GTX on a clean Windows install.

disabling every power saving feature possible bio's.

messing with bio's settings every which way, like disabling all Intel option n such.

more bio's crap that i wouldn't normally do.

BnS Buddy with, and tried add-ons and mods too.

so many Windows changes... settings, registry tweaks... SO MUCH has been tried.

more Windows crap i wouldn't normally do.

disabling several Windows services.

disabling several devices in Device Manager.

changing the drive the game is located on, both SSD and HDD.

several driver combinations and such.

re-downlaoding the game.

oh my god... there are probably at least a dozen other things i have tried. wtf?

seriously... wtf? somebody suggest something, anything. T_T

Edited by bns7426700027

Ok I from what you say you tried disabling Bluetooth and FTH on windows.....? If it is literally happening every 60 seconds then something on your pc is doing a scan / check for something and that kills your fps. 

Have you tried CPU unparking? Disable the game bar on windows 10? Tried the windows game mode perhaps?

Spoiler

i have tried, but none of that works. and literally nothing scanning or checking anything.  i have checked using some things like HWiNFO and something else. when the FPS dip occurs seriously nothing indicates it. no drop in disk, cpu or gpu activity. RAM seems to be completely fine too. the in-game cursor is also fine too.

lmao... i just got done re-installing twice since my last post. and this most recent re-install i even updated my bio's. which i was hesitant to do, because i can no longer flash an older version if needed.

in the end absolutely nothing i can do is fixing this. well, this just sucks... FML

Edited by bns7426700027

Spoiler

yeah... i forgot to mention i also checked through resmon on Windows too. so with resmon and other hardware monitoring tools, i was unable to find anything abnormal occurring. no sudden drop or spike in any resource usage. and using resmon it is easy to see all resources are fine and no unusual disk activity.

well... i put in a support ticket, hopefully they can help. looks like i am pretty much boned, though. it would take a miracle to fix this.

Edited by bns7426700027

Spoiler

hello! new discovery! please check first post :(

just for reminders...

i have tried so many things, and most recently a October 2018 build of Windows 10 Home x64. the issue is present regardless of GPU used. with and without PhysX software... okay, it would probably be easier to tell what i have NOT tried... at this moment i feel the only thing i could have possibly not tried is a different motherboard. serious...

Edited by bns7426700027

7 hours ago, bns7426700027 said:

hello! new discovery! please check first post :(

just for reminders...

i have tried so many things, and most recently a October 2018 build of Windows 10 Home x64. the issue is present regardless of GPU used. with and without PhysX software... okay, it would probably be easier to tell what i have NOT tried... at this moment i feel the only thing i could have possibly not tried is a different motherboard. serious...

The october update introduced a lot of gaming performance issues with windows which microsoft acknowledged, those got fixed in the later builds so you should fully update your windows 10 to the current build.

Spoiler

i am on the latest build, and only installed an older build to a different drive for troubleshooting.

i am on Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362

i tell you what... it is ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ing pathetic when you spend $1500 dollars on a PC and it can't even play properly games from almost two decades ago. what is even worse... it is an Nvidia card, and Unreal Engine, which are DESIGNED for Nvidia cards, play like crap. this pisses me off to no end. a big ol $1500 piece of trash i have right. ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ my life... i hate my life. just what i need... a thousand-dollar piece of ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤.

Edited by bns7426700027

I know you mentioned Bless Online having the same issue, but I'm curious as to if you're using any third-party programs to launch Blade & Soul. Some of them offer features to automatically clean your memory within certain time intervals to avoid crashes. Maybe that's a reason for your frame rate issues?

the same thing happens with or without BnSBuddy. ( i only first tried using BnSBuddy in an attempt to resolve the issue. ) i can completely format/wipe my system and all drives and download fresh the game through NCLauncher2 and the issue is still there without ever touching anything else. and that is on a completely fresh system... the only thing having been done was blocking Windows Updates, install latest GPU drivers from Nvidia, install NCLauncher2 and game. again, i have tried this multiple ways... with and without Windows Update... different driver versions and such, from Windows and from official sources... well, i have seriously re-installed Windows more times in the past 2~3 weeks than i ever have previously throughout my entire life. no joke!

well... i am out of options. there is clearly something wrong with the game(s). i don't know what the developers or games could have in common, but they did something the same or similar and the game(s) is having the issue because of it.

i can tell you this...

i dug out my old laptop and it too has the same issue with both games.

further more...

i took my PC over to a friends house and having the same exact issue. plus he has THREE different computers, and the issue is there on them all. he also has two different ISP's... a landline and a satellite provider. between all his computers and using different ISP's, the issue is STILL there. i use Spectrum for my landline and he uses Cincinnati Bell. so, that is fiber vs cable and issue is still there. ( and again, i have also tried things like ExitLag and ProtonVPN ) i forget what he said his satellite provider is. ALSO, he has a machine that runs Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and still the issue is there.

FURTHER MORE...

i have also downloaded the TW client and connected to the TW server... yup, you guessed it... still the same issue.

the only similarities between Blade & Soul and BLESS Online i can see is that they are both MMORPG's and are made with Unreal Engine 3. however, between 3 different ISP's and atleast 5 different PC's, the issue is still persistent. and at the same time, i am unable to reproduce the issue while playing Unreal Tournament 3. UT3 is Unreal Engine 3 too. i also can't reproduce in UT3 while playing online matches.

i can only conclude there is something wrong with the game(s). i personally don't understand it... it should be impossible. i know other people don't have the issue, but why me? am i just cursed? again... 3 different ISP's and at least 5 different PC's of different configurations... i just don't understand it. it makes ZERO sense.

i guess the only thing to do is hope the Unreal Engine 4 update fixes this. FML, just FML.

Edited by bns7426700027

• 4 weeks later...

damn... i keep hoping that one of these days i will wake up and the issue will go away... it hasn't... but maybe that is just because i don't believe in unicorns. :(

*prays the UE4 update will come out this year... *prays the UE4 update will fix it**

• 2 years later...