Forums

The Human side of BnS .....

Adams

Hello fellow BnS'ers,

Note: after I was done writing this I realized how long it was but please bear with me and try to read till the end.

In this day and age and with the abomination of mobile gaming -imo-, every gaming company is trying to follow the mobile gaming trends of watering down their game content to make them  fast and easy to make/manage/fix by reducing features, customization, difficulty,  general human interaction and focus instead on making their loot boxes as enticing as possible. Players are encouraged either to spend a lot of time in the game grinding redundant events or to spend a lot of money to bypass those redundant events. These games are usually not built to last but rather built to squeeze as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time before moving on to the next project. 

If you have ever played a mobile game ... you will notice that alot of these games barely have any content worth exploring and pretty much play themselves for you. You barely have to do anything or talk to anyone with most of the gameplay revolving around doing 2-3 simple things over and over. Sadly, BnS and alot of asian-born MMOs seem to be taking this direction. For the first time ever i found myself watching random youtube videos while I play the game because of how much of a chore and a bore it is to play it. Instead of having  fun in in-game experiences, for example, the challenge is how long can I grind without losing my mind or my will to play. Instead of getting high rewards for managing to finish a dungeon or for skillful play, exploration or even just understanding the story, you go through a never-ending spiral of small chunks of rewards for doing brain-dead activities over & over for extended periods of time. You grind and grind to get over that wall then you realize there is a similar but taller wall behind it that you need to grind harder to get over. Kinda like a sweat shop.

No need -or rather no time- to know who is next to you or to chat with others because everyone is trying to do their daily job in the least amount of time possible so they can leave the game immediately. Again, like a sweatshop. It feels like I'm playing with NPCs rather than actual human beings. Alot of clans in bns have turned into corporations that require an actual resume to even consider you as a potential member. One clan leader asked me so many questions that I ended up telling her that I already have a job and a real life boss,  I don't need second ones.

The story of this game is deep yet irrelevant. The world is huge and detailed yet not worth exploring beside maybe the first time you ever play the game.In addition to that, because the game allows people to blitz through the early levels, people dont get to appreciate how beautifully detailed every map is, instead, every map below end game ones are empty. When I tried to get some of my irl friends to play the game they thought the game was already dead. The unbelievably deep skill customization system that we once had is now gone, even gearing is a constant spiral of getting a small incremental % increases in stats for doing the same things over and over.

Some of my fondest memories in MMOs were in an old game called Fiesta Online which I have played the longest of any MMO. GMs in that game were actively playing the game itself.  You would see them running around once in a while talking to random players. They held events such as "find the GM" where one of them would constantly hide in different spots  in the game world and type hints of their location in server-wide chat/notice.  The first few to find him/her get rewarded. The rewards themselves weren't much but the fun was in the chase. This promoted exploring the game's world. Another event was "the riddler" where a GM will give a series of riddles about people/items/events related to the game itself (or outside it) teasing  whoever gets the answers wrong. Some would even randomly jump into in-progress dungeons/raids to help players, showoff some unreleased costumes/skills/weapons or just chat and cheer while players finish the dungeon. Other times they would  appear in open arenas  with stupidly high gear/health and challenge the entire area to try to kill them. They "promise" not to use healing potions but sometimes they cheat xD. Whenever they lose 10% of their hp they spawn treasure chests that people can compete over while fighting them. Some would go as far as posing as priests -when requested- to perform in-game wedding ceremonies in spots chosen by the weds-to-be long before a wedding system was implemented. When they did implement a wedding system btw they made it so that spouses would get a special love buff when they are in the same party making them both stronger. All of that made it worthwhile to know one another and to explore the game. 

If you have noticed, none of these events above required complicated programming. They just had the mindset of role playing and they loved human interaction. Those two keep things interesting, spontaneous and fun while also help make people get to know one another instead of being robots that aim to finish their jobs as perfectly and as fast as possible.

Apparently most asian gaming companies value grinding over experiences because their local player base seem to enjoy it which explains why mobile games flourish there but they gotta try giving people better experiences in their games because eventually grinding will get boring and people will leave. Spontaneous events and human interaction with your own audience will make them very loyal to you and appreciate being with you rather than feeling like they are being harvested of their energy and money (like in the Matrix movies).

Regards,

IGNs Garen, Spencer, Jax

Region: EU

Back during launch it took me like a month to get to max level, Which was only 45 back then, Because i did look around and get distracted A LOT, But that was back then and the speed of the game has changed since then.

Well, Imo it's a must to get to know people and find static grps for raids, Trains or Multi farms of the new place.

Also "Grinding will get boring" is not really true unless you are one of those with Low attention span that have to have a new thing or a new excitement all the time.

This past Saturday i did something like a 10-ish hour multi of the new place (50 runs or so) Not really something i will do again since i have the belt now, which was the goal and point of the farm.

3 hours ago, Draknalor said:

Back during launch it took me like a month to get to max level, Which was only 45 back then, Because i did look around and get distracted A LOT, But that was back then and the speed of the game has changed since then.

Well, Imo it's a must to get to know people and find static grps for raids, Trains or Multi farms of the new place.

Also "Grinding will get boring" is not really true unless you are one of those with Low attention span that have to have a new thing or a new excitement all the time.

This past Saturday i did something like a 10-ish hour multi of the new place (50 runs or so) Not really something i will do again since i have the belt now, which was the goal and point of the farm.

Thank you for your input. 

Well, getting to know people just for the purpose of finding raids, multi's, trains and for farming is like finding new work colleagues to finish a certain job. In this game and sometimes IRL people dont really care about who these colleagues are, they just care about how good they are at their job. I'm sure you can relate to this last sentence when it comes to BnS at least.

"Low attention span" and wanting excitement dont always have to be the same (btw i never talked about excitement and not all human interactions have to be exciting).  Even if you have the mental fortitude to go on a 10-hour grind of doing one dungeon to get that -insert item here-, you will eventually get to the point where you dont want to do it again (as you said) or in other words you got bored of the grind. Thats my point. You got in, grinded for an extended period of time then stopped once the job was done.  Im sure during this grind you barely spoke to anyone about anything outside the job at hand.

Im also pretty sure that even if someone had "high attention span", it will slowly drop as they continue to do things repeatedly. In the end it becomes just muscles memory. If you ever saw a video about assembly lines in electronics manufacturing factories such as Foxxcon, you will notice that workers there get to a point where they barely see whats in front of them, they just robotically do their jobs on the assembly line thousands of times per day. Barely anytime to sleep or talk to eachother even though they live in dorms.

Sadly, this is mostly true, and while I disagree with the "grinding becomes boring" part because I have a long and grueling story of grinding in every game I play, the human interaction is what makes every game what it is, you can spend your time goofing around, practicing a solo run or simply trying to get the gear you want, but without interaction it becomes like a simple and robotic task, no meaning, no essence, just a straight line from A to B where you don't enjoy the road anymore.

Also yes, games nowadays tend to feel dead because most of them are just running an endless line of content release to keep up with a competitive agenda where the game with most "innovation" has the lead, and by doing this they neglect their old content and as such they simply let or make players skip through it by fast leveling and little regard for story or anything else around, very few games keep all their content alive even after the release of new one, but it's hard to find them anymore, and mobile gaming is just that, an aglomeration of short lived projects designed to squeeze as much money as possible from players while giving the illusion of a rewarding gameplay, but there's nothing we can do about it.