Forums

Needed Changes for Way of the Spinning Storm

Viblo

Compared to Thundering Blade, Spinning Storm is a bit of a joke. The spec is overdue for some needed damage increases and other QoL improvements.

• Despite having active Wind Charge and Wind Spirit up, certain occurrences like using Skyward Slash during Squall/Hurricane Slash/Talisman bugs Rolling Typhoon making it unusable. Using another skill in-between will fix the bug.
  • Aransu Mystic Badge's "Squall" has to occur more frequently to keep refreshing Wind Spirits for continuous Rolling Typhoon usage. During Skyward Slash and Whirling Scourge, most often your Wind Spirits run out for a brief moment creating an awkward break when you're supposed to be bursting.
  • Rolling Typhoon can not be used to remove certain stacks that are meant to be removed by using your abilities. An example is Brood Chamber's Nacha encounter, where the stacks "Demon Blood" won't go down. A Blade Dancer using Spinning Storm are forced to save their Wind Slash to put them in Draw Stance to be able to use Flicker and Wind Flash in order to remove all 10 stacks of Demon Blood, since skills like Breeze does not meet the mechanics' demand.
  • To close the damage gap between Thundering Blade and Spinning Storm, additional damage could be added to Hurricane Slash. Many specializations received one key skill responsible for either outputting very high damage (e.g. Blade Dancer's Fatal Blade) or providing a status effect able to drastically increase damage during the effect duration (e.g. Kung Fu Master's Wind Gyre). Spinning Storm Blade Dancers did not receive such a damage amplifier, but the weird part is that it's there. Hurricane Slash is a new skill that ties into the DPS rotation very well with the help of the Wildborne Soul Badge, so it seems weird to not add a lot more damage to Hurricane Slash. Starbreaker Bracelet already provides Attack Power bonus to Hurricane Slash during Starbreaker effect, but it barely helps at all. It does 5% of my personal current parse damage, so there's a lot of opportunities to do something here.

I'll add another post if there is anything else I can think of.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on point #2:

You can get an absolute maximum of 4 Rolling Typhoons per second, where as Squall recovers 3 Wind Spirits every second. Unless you get godly RNG and trigger the random effect of Rolling Typhoon recovering a Wind Spirit on use, you're bound to have small yet awkward breaks during the rotation. This has to be changed.

Hi Viblo,

nice to meet another passionate wind player!

Most of all I enjoy playing wind since pink badge has been fusable. Rotation is smooth and constant dps is very nice if you can stay at boss and fights take a little bit longer.

Bugs... actually endboss of warped citadel bugs wind a lot. Not every run but maybe 2 out of 3 runs. I have tried to find a pattern but idk yet. Maybe burst must be high enough to skip a certain boss attack which bugs us?

Not enough wind orbs during Z: I agree. Maybe they cannot buff/change squall itself for pvp reasons. But something has to be done (increase chance to regain a wind orb?).

Sustain damage = constant damage - burst damage -> our sustain damage is very high!

TOI and Mao top 5 ranking should be possible having max gear (EU). Last season I ranked toi #2. Mao I did not invest those 2 oils because of gear gap and everything under #5 would mean no benefit.

I think a major balance issue is the passive of lightning which increases critrate. If lightning and wind would be 100% balanced for solo content then wind would be ahead in party-play (blue buff).

A little hint: wind is playable using simple mode. Sunder and Typhoon move to rmb. No rotation relevant skills move to rmb. Two benefits:

1) Those little gaps during Z are filled by a (maximum boosted) sunder. No awkward "stuttering". I do not know if this is a dps increase but it definitely feels better
2) dps freely using rmb. No risk to accidentally f-roll. No need to wait for ever after using tab (hmb is on F). Take care to not ani-cancel the spin too early.

BC boss 1 mark as wind bd: just start spamming lmb right after the grab. Do not get nervous -> you will do it in time

1 hour ago, CooleSau said:

Hi Viblo,

nice to meet another passionate wind player!

Most of all I enjoy playing wind since pink badge has been fusable. Rotation is smooth and constant dps is very nice if you can stay at boss and fights take a little bit longer.

Bugs... actually endboss of warped citadel bugs wind a lot. Not every run but maybe 2 out of 3 runs. I have tried to find a pattern but idk yet. Maybe burst must be high enough to skip a certain boss attack which bugs us?

Not enough wind orbs during Z: I agree. Maybe they cannot buff/change squall itself for pvp reasons. But something has to be done (increase chance to regain a wind orb?).

Sustain damage = constant damage - burst damage -> our sustain damage is very high!

TOI and Mao top 5 ranking should be possible having max gear (EU). Last season I ranked toi #2. Mao I did not invest those 2 oils because of gear gap and everything under #5 would mean no benefit.

I think a major balance issue is the passive of lightning which increases critrate. If lightning and wind would be 100% balanced for solo content then wind would be ahead in party-play (blue buff).

A little hint: wind is playable using simple mode. Sunder and Typhoon move to rmb. No rotation relevant skills move to rmb. Two benefits:

1) Those little gaps during Z are filled by a (maximum boosted) sunder. No awkward "stuttering". I do not know if this is a dps increase but it definitely feels better
2) dps freely using rmb. No risk to accidentally f-roll. No need to wait for ever after using tab (hmb is on F). Take care to not ani-cancel the spin too early.

BC boss 1 mark as wind bd: just start spamming lmb right after the grab. Do not get nervous -> you will do it in time

Hello wind BD! Nice to see our rare breed still exists.

I definitely agree with most things here. The new fused Wildborne Soul Badge helped smooth our rotation by a lot and made wind BDs way more enjoyable. I've also experienced the same issues on Dread Prince Sobu in Warped Citadel, and I really have no clue what's causing it. At first I believed it was due to being in Spatial Isolation, but I experience the exact same issue when on the outside. It seems like not our passive skill nor the Liberty Soul Badge works properly.

I also agree about the issue with Wind Spirits. Changing the Squall effect might not be a great idea. If anything, I say the RNG effect on Rolling Typhoon to regenerate a Wind Spirit should be changed to always happening or by changing Whirling Scourge to generate an additional Wind Spirit over time. Not sure how good the idea of the RNG being removed completely is, haven't really thought it through.

As for Simple Mode, I use it as well, and the added Sunder when Rolling Typhoon is unavailable is a lifesaver. My only issue with it is that, well, it just seems like a bad way to design our most high damaging skill, and there's no way to adapt to the Rolling Typhoon's RNG Wind Spirit if you're parsing unless you always do a Sunder inbetween which will end up as a damage loss.

The two things I'd disagree about is the Nacha strategy and our damage output.

To start with Nacha, even if it's intended for Rolling Typhoon to not remove stacks of Demon Blood, it seems incredibly weird considering there's no issue for Lightning BDs who can use Flicker and Lightning Flash. Having to compromise by using LMB or saving Wind Draw (that's the name for C, right?) to use our own Flicker and Lightning Flash is just meh.

As for damage, while I'm far from an expert in Tower of Infinity, I can definitely see Wind BDs being proficient there. M'ao though? Not really. Looking at the current leaderboard right now, pretty much every single Blade Dancer is using Lightning. Maybe that's just because most people prefer Lightning (god knows why they do that), but I'm yet to see any Wind BD reaching one of the top spots.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Viblo:

To start with Nacha, even if it's intended for Rolling Typhoon to not remove stacks of Demon Blood, it seems incredibly weird considering there's no issue for Lightning BDs who can use Flicker and Lightning Flash. Having to compromise by using LMB or saving Wind Draw (that's the name for C, right?) to use our own Flicker and Lightning Flash is just meh.

As for damage, while I'm far from an expert in Tower of Infinity, I can definitely see Wind BDs being proficient there. M'ao though? Not really. Looking at the current leaderboard right now, pretty much every single Blade Dancer is using Lightning. Maybe that's just because most people prefer Lightning (god knows why they do that), but I'm yet to see any Wind BD reaching one of the top spots.

I would like to use Typhoons for doing Nacha's mech too.

Most people play the spec that is ahead dps-wise no matter if the difference is 5% or 20% including people with the best gear. Additionally a lot of people just do their dailies and try hard at end of season.

Imagine best geared lightning bds at top of mao ranking were wind. If they try harded yet on wind too they would be in top rankings too.

TOI: my battle record last season was 6.92 s - six weeks ago without any ET gear. Let's imagine I would be 25% faster now: 5.19s. Rank 4 in EU

• 3 weeks later...

I did a 3mio dummy parse yesterday. Let us compare it to a lighnting parse with almost same gear.

Lighnting BD with 76 more BAP than I have (2339 - 2263), ET 8 set (I only have ET 5): 3,87 mio dps

ET8: 100 + 30 + 35 = 165
ET5/TT3: 100 + 30 + 20 = 150

-> 165/150 = 1,10 -> 10% more F damage -> 10% of 80% -> 8% more overall damage

4 f/s is possible https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/328672771322281986/596485775189737492/unknown.png

3,46 f/s in my parse -> 4/3,46 -> 1,16 -> 16% of 80% -> 12,49% more overall damage

-> 3mio * 1,08 * 1,1249 = 3,64 mio

I did not use a dumpling (+ 2%?) -> 3,71

3,87/3,71 = 104,3%

4,3% more damage with 76 more BAP.

I play Wind BD and i've loved the majority of it... besides the bugs that hard resets your tempo, but I thought i'd share my experience with it

DISCLAIMER: This is a rant! Despite most of this complaining, this is not intended as an attack on anyone or to insult/belittle anybody, despite what you may consider!

Wind BD is garbage, because people want it to be garbage! I love this spec, because it looks cool, and feels great! However, it's garbage!

The only reason lightning is better is because it gets everything it needed, and the awakening buffs were ABSURD

Lightning had its design changed to a more braindead friendly design. If I recall, Lightning's Flaming Scourge used to work the same way as Squall does, where every second of tickrate would grant you 3 orbs, Lightning orbs being the mainstay way to use Lightning Flash.

That has now been removed which makes the class much easier to play than it used to, and less demanding.

I think its absurd that wind still has to play under such a condition, despite it's inconsistencies, it's like admitting you know it has faults, but only changing it for one side of the class.

Lightning talents have ridiculous ramp, it gets a hard cd reduction to an ability that already has a cooldown reduction. 

Critical Shock giving a crit damage passive on Lightning Draw and Storm Cleave, AND Lightning Draw getting a base cooldown reduction. WHAT!? So... you gave a crit damage steroid, to a class that already has 3 crit damage steroids... -_-

AND THEN, it gives a base AP damage ramp, with Thunder Rolls, granting 8% AP increase stacked 3 times, whenever you use Lightning Draw & Thunder slash

Not to mention the quintessential, base damage of core abilities: Lightning Flicker and Lightning Flash...

So... ...why doesn't wind get this? considering your choice is one of those, I find it ludicrous a single class gets 3 class ramps on 1 tier of talent points. All 3 of them are insanely good.

Meanwhile, wind gets... sigh mediocrity, a crit damage amp so small, that increasing the base damage of an ability gives more dps on parses. Not to mention LIGHTNING'S BASE PASSIVE OUT STATS IT!!! *rage*

Sigh, I cant believe they're going back to this but... an RNG mechanic on Typhoon, that only gives back 1 wind orb when it costs 3 (Yes i know! Wind charge... relax!)

And a 3rd talent so useless, I don't even use it in pvp, which I assume that's what it was designed for.

The only reason to use returning wind, is simply because the 10% damage increase enhance on Rolling Typhoon, tends to float like crazy... when you have a high tier weapon.

Squall's design is awful, not only you need to land the attack to actually get the insta 3 orbs, the effect is SO SLOW... mind you with the recent framerate issues, it being slow probably is one of the few things that allows my sanity to remain stable, but in terms of "optimal gameplay" which is something everyone SHOULD be striving for when you're trying to perfect your performance and improve as a player, this is not ideal.

When considering something like, Reaper Destroyer's Execute badge effect, which is a consistent uptime. I think they should make squall be a continuous effect for a strict duration. The buff and the damage tied to the effect should be separate, or shouldn't need to hit a target to get the orbs.

One thing I've noticed about this game, is it's rather uncanny and random habbit of applying snap mechanics in certain situations (It's kind of hard to explain snap mechanics, it's a backend processing tendency in video games, basically its the interaction where the game assumes your position, ahead of time when using effects like gap closers and whatnot), something I consider counter-productive in a game that boasts about "Action combat". Why am I mentioning this, because sometimes, you'll have situations where bosses leap & dash, and your ability will whiff, because the game assumes the target at the end destination... before the even finish the traverse!

An effect like Squall, should be governed around YOU as the caster... not based on if you hit a target...

And that's another thing that I noticed with Wind BD... killing blows

If you hit a target, and that ability kills the target, YOU DON'T GET THE INTENDED INTERACTION FOLLOW UP!!

Sunder on a killing blow does not grant you a wind orb

Skyward slash on a killing blow does not grant you wind charge

Rolling Typhoon with Lightfooted Talent, does not grant you movespeed buff

Inconsistencies such as these, will only irritate a player, that's probably something you don't want to do

I also noticed that the new passive for wind, Nimble Recovery, functions awfully.

To cite the description: "Decreases cooldown of all skills by 0.2 seconds on EVERY Rolling Typhoon"

Note the operative word here... EVERY. Considering they did the gimmicky effect of 2 hits of Rolling Typhoon, similar to Lightning Flash, it blows my mind that Nimble Recovery and the new badge "Liberty Soul" works so poorly

If Rolling Typhoon hits twice... then this effect should occur twice.

However, it's effect only occurs ONCE, leading to a one second cooldown reduction from Rolling Typhoon on Hurricane Slash & Skyward Slash, WHEN IT SHOULD REDUCE BY TWO SECONDS. (technically greater than two seconds, due to time in a constant state of flux), because Rolling typhoon... hits twice per cast! This can be compared to Lightning's Flash ability, which triggers badge effects twice on condition! *reduces active cooldown of Lightning Draw on every critical hit

Far be it for me to flame whoever made this effect, if I haven't already, this Badge is still great! But I find this irritating, because it doesn't take much to the mind's eye to know the effect would simply be greater, had it worked as described. And before you mention translations and whatnot... I don't care! I work with what I'm given, I'm a data-driven person, and I'm not inclined to translate Korean, or a person's misinterpretations, or a person's mispronunciations/misfires in creation... their human errors are not my responsibility!

Grand Vortex makes me question life

"This wind is ruining my hair..." Hmm..

I'm kind of shocked there is no synergy in the entire spec on this ability, shocked... and dissapointed

It's a fun ability, but dungeon bosses have a strange tendency of removing fun and pvp is... well... pvp

So, despite me flaming, lets add a little bit of optimism shall we.

For starters, I believe that in the process of criticism (what I'm doing right now), the proponent to propose ideas is equally important as stating the flaws and inadequacies of the current ones. So I will now do this. 

What would I propose to make this better?

Wind Squall - Separate the buff from the aoe damage effect, Reaper destroyer has something similar, where it's continual damage and it's buff effect are two separate entities... so it's possible! You shouldn't have to land the aoe effect on Squall to grant the wind orbs. I would also buff the effect, so that the Squall refreshes the duration of Wind Charge... but that's just me!

Returning Wind - Stop with RNG!

Either make the effect trigger on crit, or make the effect trigger after a certain number of Rolling Typhoons.. for example "Every 3rd Rolling Typhoon grants Returning wind, refunding you 3 wind orbs (which is one free Rolling Typhoon)"

The effect is versatile around Wind Charge, Whirling Scourge... and various other effects, which holds a lot of room for creativity, it would also inadvertently fix the inadequacy of Wind Squall, being slower than Wind Charge's intended tempo

Swift Finish - Give it ramp!

If Lightning's passive... PASSIVE, is a ramp of crit dmg, then a talent should definitely be stronger! Go figure

Gathering Storm - remove the effect and make something else, or actually consider it's ability and talent apart of wind's design.

I'm still trying to figure out what this ability was designed for. The only thing I've managed with this, is triple aerial in pvp. Spoiler alert, it's not that good, unless you're a Yasuo fan from League of Legends (nothing wrong with that), and want to scream "HASAGI!" when you do it... there is nothing else productive that comes from it

To conlude

Wind has insane peaks and opportune damage uptimes, I still believe it's stronger than Lightning in everyway. However, there is a strange, uncanny demand from the player, that is ill-advised in various situations. It lacks adaptability, because it's extremely easy to tilt. Rolling Typhoon fall off will tilt you like crazy

I've been asked by my friends that play BNS, how I find Wind BD, I described it as such:

"Wind BD is better than Lightning BD, but demands more from the player, which is something that isn't very safe to do in a game like Blade & Soul"

I love Wind BD, Zephyr til death!

Edited by kakikookie
Proof reading
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on bugs & issues based on pinned information in BNSAcademy's #blade-dancer channel.

• Whirling Scourge ending will unproc Rolling Typhoon
  • Effect of Skyward Slash won't proc if a Rolling Typhoon is used too quickly after
  • Rolling Typhoon, Skyward Slash, and Wind Slash can miss (not accuracy problem), even while standing in front of an unmoving target (like Training Dummy in the Hongmoon Training Room)
  • Squall effect from Aransu/Thornbreaker Mystic Badge can't keep up with Rolling Typhoon during Wind Charge effect
  • Wind Slash's casting time is too long considering the low damage output from all skills in Draw Stance
  • Rolling Typhoon can leave enemy targets stuck at 1 HP
  • Rolling Typhoon make bosses skip initiating their mechanics
  • Skyward Slash and Wind Slash will sometimes not trigger the Wind Charge effect, despite hitting the target
  • Whirling Scourge will sometimes not trigger the Wind Charge effect
  • Steelfeather effect from Stormsiege Bracelet will unproc Rolling Typhoon outside of Whirling Scourge

• NCSOFT

Hey guys,

Citation

Whirling Scourge ending will unproc Rolling Typhoon

This issue could be reproduced by QA and has been added to Known Issues.

Citation

Rolling Typhoon can leave enemy targets stuck at 1 HP

Rolling Typhoon make bosses skip initiating their mechanics

Whirling Scourge will sometimes not trigger the Wind Charge effect

Those issues could not be reproduced and would necessitate more info on gear, target and conditions.

Citation

Skyward Slash and Wind Slash will sometimes not trigger the Wind Charge effect, despite hitting the target

This could not be reproduced by QA. It was actually observed that Wind Charge does indeed process even if target evades.

Citation

Effect of Skyward Slash won't proc if a Rolling Typhoon is used too quickly after

Rolling Typhoon, Skyward Slash, and Wind Slash can miss (not accuracy problem), even while standing in front of an unmoving target (like Training Dummy in the Hongmoon Training Room)

Those issues could not be reproduced by QA.

Citation

Squall effect from Aransu/Thornbreaker Mystic Badge can't keep up with Rolling Typhoon during Wind Charge effect

Wind Slash's casting time is too long considering the low damage output from all skills in Draw Stance

Steelfeather effect from Stormsiege Bracelet will unproc Rolling Typhoon outside of Whirling Scourge

Feedback was duly noted and will be forwarded to Devs.

Cheers ~

Thanks for the response @Hyunkel! While I'm no expert, I'll do my best to go into further detail.

2 hours ago, Hyunkel said:

Rolling Typhoon can leave enemy targets stuck at 1 HP

Rolling Typhoon make bosses skip initiating their mechanics

Those issues could not be reproduced and would necessitate more info on gear, target and conditions.

To reproduce leaving targets stuck at 1HP, please attempt defeating a boss like the Maksun encounter in Outlaw Island using only Rolling Typhoon. I've attached a video to illustrate the issue: https://youtu.be/sywqnX8Q86s.

As for bosses skipping their mechanics, this is only possible when no other damage skill than Rolling Typhoon is used. Any other skills causing damage will mess it up. Since damage skills are the only way to gain Wind Spirit, it's only possible by using the Glory Soul Badge or the fused version Undying Soul Badge where you can use the defensive skills Strafe and Blindside to gain Wind Spirit for Rolling Typhoon. Please view this video for reference: https://youtu.be/m3UxuOBllmU. As you can see, I managed to skip both the 90% and the 60% mechanics until my Soaring Falcon skill set the boss straight again. I will however mention that this might be the only boss where this is possible - I haven't tested for others.

To add onto the issues with that skill: in a situation like Brood Chamber's Nacha encounter, you can't execute the mechanics using that skill. The intention for the mechanic is to have one stack of Demon Blood removed per attack on the boss, but as you can see (https://youtu.be/69qIomrQNgE), the red looking status effect to the left of my bar isn't affected by this particular skill. Some code went very wrong when designing the skill for the class specializations.

I was unfortunately unable to get footage of Skyward Slash not being proc'd when used too close to Rolling Typhoon nor certain attacks missing for no apparant reason. I'll update this thread if I manage to reproduce it.

Edited by Viblo

Hey @Hyunkel!

"Skyward Slash and Wind Slash will sometimes not trigger the Wind Charge effect, despite hitting the target"

Rather complicated to reproduce (?). But you have a high chance to trigger this bug while being in soul separation. For example: ransacked treasury final boss, warped citadel final  boss or vt boss 2 (knock down and do not move your back to the boss).

"Effect of Skyward Slash won't proc if a Rolling Typhoon is used too quickly after"

For the sake of sience only ofc! Run a macro spamming F very quickly non-stop.

• NCSOFT

Hey again guys,

Citation

. Rolling Typhoon can leave enemy targets stuck at 1 HP

This is unrelated to Rolling Typhoon skill.

Also, this is not a bug. NPC is in animation lock before it can be killed. Other NPCs like Naksun also do this. NPC can be killed after animation ends.

Citation

. Rolling Typhoon make bosses skip initiating their mechanics

Dreamsong Theater - Kamahage case occurs when Boss mechanic HP threshold passes while the Boss is in animation lock for tanker range check. If the Tanker goes too far away from the boss, the boss will do a tanker range check and will then phantom grips the tanker. If the Boss passes certain HP threshold during phantom grip animation, HP mechanics will not be triggered.

Citation

To add onto the issues with that skill: in a situation like Brood Chamber's Nacha encounter, you can't execute the mechanics using that skill. 

The Brood Chamber - Nacha case could indeed be reproduced by QA though and has been added to Known Issues.

Thanks once more on the follow up!

9 hours ago, Hyunkel said:

Also, this is not a bug. NPC is in animation lock before it can be killed. Other NPCs like Naksun also do this. NPC can be killed after animation ends.

That's what I also thought at first, but since the other specialization for this class -- Thundering Blade -- doesn't experience it, I remain believeing it's an issue with the skill itself. I tried the two bosses I linked previously, please compare these encounters with the two I linked in my old post:

Additionally, I went there with my Kung Fu Master playing the Iron Claw spec and could easily kill both Bomani and Maksun during the animation lock. It did indeed stop me at 1HP, but once the 1HP interval had been reached, the next attack would defeat the target rather than keeping it there.

9 hours ago, Hyunkel said:

Dreamsong Theater - Kamahage case occurs when Boss mechanic HP threshold passes while the Boss is in animation lock for tanker range check. If the Tanker goes too far away from the boss, the boss will do a tanker range check and will then phantom grips the tanker. If the Boss passes certain HP threshold during phantom grip animation, HP mechanics will not be triggered.

Your QA team didn't test this but assumed, didn't they... Might as well give me a monthly salary if we keep this up.

To prove what I mean, here's yet another clip without involving any range-check. Please keep in mind that the Kamahage encounter is meant to initiate the Spectral Sword mechanics at 90%, 60%, and 30%. Looking at the footage of me playing Spinning Storm, past the 90% HP threshold, the boss follows up with a new attack rather than going into the mechanics (which by the way, once the HP threshold has been reached, this particular boss cancels the current attack to enter mechanic), but reacts properly to the scenario once I use my Breeze skill. To prove my point, I also linked the same scenario but on Thundering Blade, where you can clearly see the boss canceling his attack to initiate phase. Do you get what I mean, now?

I realize that your influence over the dev team's focus is very limited, but it would at least be nice to see more thorough testing from your own QA team. Just ask (or check) the statistics for NA/EU's active Blade Dancer to see which spec is dominant. Shouldn't that be enough to realize some proper bug testing and balance adjustments are very, very overdue?

•  

I got the "no-wind-surge-bug" today at Resurrected Tokan (ET Miniboss before ET boss 1) while being in soul separation and took a screen.

Without bug after 6s of non-stop rolling typhoon (you start using X followed by Z then FFFF...): X (Skyward Slash) ready; Z (Whirling Scourge) 27s cd

With bug you do not have wind surge and X is not ready after 6s.

In the screen: left side without bug, right side with the bug (6s after using XZ). Look at wind surge buff (under my char) and cooldowns of Z and X.

unknown.png

• 2 years later...