Forums

U.S. (NA Region) Planning to Ban Loot Boxes + P2W in Gaming

Snowyamur

6 hours ago, Riss77 said:

Even if loot boxes were banned, NCSoft would just put evething available at a fixed price and that's it.

Then it will be a true pay to win instead of a gamble to win.

If the law is passed as it is presented, even direct purchases would be banned, which is what the Senator who posted it wants. So I feel the only option would be for NC and more than half of the current MMOs we have in the West would simply close off and keep themselves in the East for good. Basically the whole MMO genre as we know it would die off, leaving only the monthly pay to play stuff and the few grind to earn games that may exist out there. But since almost everything from Korea is run on a f2p + micro transaction chance model, it would simply have no way to stay afloat here.

Unless every game agrees to switch back to a pay to play and leave their chance shenanigans behind. And that takes a lot of resources to do and nobody is sure if such a model would benefit them now. So I doubt any company would be interested in saving an already dying genre. I suppose there are other genres to play, so killing off most MMOs in the West wouldn't be such a hard blow to the gaming industry as a whole. Maybe we already need such a reckoning...

On 5/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, Hanuku said:

Trove has a free tier, and the current event lustrous box can be bought using HM coins which can be earned in game without paying a cent. 

Lustrous box is the one bought from F10 daily with 1 NCoin? Is it able to be purchased with HMC too? I didn't know.

On 5/27/2019 at 2:17 PM, Riss77 said:

Even if loot boxes were banned, NCSoft would just put evething available at a fixed price and that's it.

Then it will be a true pay to win instead of a gamble to win.

Not all, if they would do this then say goodbye to raid mats / accessories/ weapon cores /  badge tokens in trove and rng boxes.  your only way of getting them would be buying directly from a raid or getting into a raid and clearing it with a party ^^ which would be awesome!

2 hours ago, prietess said:

Lustrous box is the one bought from F10 daily with 1 NCoin? Is it able to be purchased with HMC too? I didn't know.

I mean the 149 pouch. You can buy that with HM coin. The 1 NCoin one does not have an HM coin version as far as I know.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, Showta said:

Reminder that video games didnt exist until RNG boxes came out and that it's way better to spend $80 gambling for a set instead of $50 to get it guaranteed.

Their were a few that took this post seriously, its sarcasm people. :giggle:

As for the main topic, I don't like government stepping in but I can see that certain games are horribly predatory with loot boxes. I can see how this would affect BnS and possibly shut down due to its addicts not being able to put down thousands to get geard. I can only hope if the legislation does pass then they focus on what made me spend money in the game at the beginning which were cosmetics in the store and not in an RNG box. 

Edited by LookOverTheir