What happened to the Old Skill System?

Helyon

I am a returning player from when the level cap was 50 and i started a new character to get use to it to the game again but then i see the new ''Skill Tree'' completely static where you can't change anything more than locking some skills i play an assassin and i wanted to trow my land mines again or use some lightening combos in combination of poison skills and dodging ability and the game right now is ''Or you play poison or you play some serpent sh**'' the customization of your skills was a big part of why this game was so good and now is a complete crap, can someone explain me why did they change it  or what is the good side of this new skill system?

You still can change things, but only once you are level 50 and completed a purple quest from soha for it. To get a feel for it, you might wanna log into your old character and do that one quest to see what it looks like then.

But I know what you mean, I really don't like it in the early levels right now, you are stuck with useless skills till 50 for some part :/ Then again all mobs die too quickly for any combo anyway.

Depending on wich skill system you stoped playing (I think we had two with level 50), the options might be smaller.

1 minute ago, Annysan said:

You still can change things, but only once you are level 50 and completed a purple quest from soha for it. To get a feel for it, you might wanna log into your old character and do that one quest to see what it looks like then.

But I know what you mean, I really don't like it in the early levels right now, you are stuck with useless skills till 50 for some part :/ Then again all mobs die too quickly for any combo anyway.

Depending on wich skill system you stoped playing (I think we had two with level 50), the options might be smaller.

thanks mate i'll complete the new character for old times sake, i remember the history and the dungeons were really fun, so i'll have patience for now and i'll play with that static skill system.

I assume you all mean level 60? You will be doing all of the story to get to level 60, get at least 12 HM levels, and then you do the purple quest that opens up what's now called "talents". The quest comes as a letter. So check those. The system will nag you constantly to read it so you won't miss it.

Talents changed not only how you assign effects to skills, but have also added some new skills, removed one or two, and changed which of the two trees some skills work with. Instead of picking a single skill and changing it's effects, you now get five rows of 3 talents each, and you pick one talent from each row for a total of five. Each pick affects or changes one or more skills. Also, the old system where you consume secret technique items, offals and the like has also been changed. Instead of these changing how skills work, they now only add damage to a selected skill. Most of what that system had was merged within the current skills, so not much was lost.

It's not a bad system. Still lets you customize a lot and you get everything in a single, less complicated panel. But I preferred the old single skill edit setup. Though I'm getting used and comfortable with this system...

6 hours ago, Hanuku said:

It's not a bad system. Still lets you customize a lot and you get everything in a single, less complicated panel. But I preferred the old single skill edit setup. Though I'm getting used and comfortable with this system...

It's not bad, but not good either.

Some talent choices are extreme limited. For example, I cannot have cat focus-regen and 24s root on Summoner. I can only choose either goes with cat focus-regen and 45s root, or go with cat-taunt and 24s.

Some other are "you can choose whatever, cuz it is not really matter". Like Gunner has slow, knockback or daze for their 2nd row. All of them are only useful for pvp, or have very limited pve application.

The worst offense is that some talents are must-have and you will perform much weaker otherwise. A Shadow Warlock for PvE cannot get TD or no-thrall SB, cuz they have to select the talent for one Helix/spectral orb.

I rather they keep the old systems, but add new skills/revamp existing skills instead. It gives players more freedom that way.

58 minutes ago, Kozuki said:

It's not bad, but not good either.

Some talent choices are extreme limited. For example, I cannot have cat focus-regen and 24s root on Summoner. I can only choose either goes with cat focus-regen and 45s root, or go with cat-taunt and 24s.

Some other are "you can choose whatever, cuz it is not really matter". Like Gunner has slow, knockback or daze for their 2nd row. All of them are only useful for pvp, or have very limited pve application.

The worst offense is that some talents are must-have and you will perform much weaker otherwise. A Shadow Warlock for PvE cannot get TD or no-thrall SB, cuz they have to select the talent for one Helix/spectral orb.

I rather they keep the old systems, but add new skills/revamp existing skills instead. It gives players more freedom that way.

The way they made them makes me feel they tried to keep people from making characters too OP. BUT they forgot that in making these, they instead gimped several setups. And that's the part I really don't like. I can't give you details since I forgot them, but I also miss some skills and skill variants I had together before that I can't have now.

So what's the point of getting the various skill related accomplishments now -- just the points, which don't seem to add alot, because they are too few for too many skills.  I.e. there used to be extra skill addons/unlocks for having those accomplishments, but now its only the semi-anemic points?  

Also on GS, the current setup feels very very weak -- a stationary burst every minute or so, and hope you don't get a knock that wipes most of the time.  Gunners should get improved defenses against attacks (because they are supposed to be a distance class and would be in almost any other reality) or better recovery (shorter cd)-blocking skills.  How would a gunner fair in battle against KFM, assassins, BM's or any of the classes w/ability to close in 1 move and suspend all your options while they enjoy a long attack in pvp or pve.  I'm 99.9% pve, mostly because I don't have a chance in any pvp setup -- but its insane on a gunner to block normal benefits of the class while the other classes get *long*/unbreakable/uninterruptible OP attacks.    If you want to equalize that, then anyone caught in a Bullet Storm would have to be frozen for at least 50-75% of the duration and that's not the case, at all, but the gunner is rooted as effectively as being pinned by an attacker's melee attack.  Something that seems to be problematic now, is that when you did BS, you got bonuses to all fire damage, now...with mystic, I don't see any benefit or effect from Firefall during BS which seems like another cut even though overall DPS is up (but true for everyone).

13 hours ago, Astarae said:

So what's the point of getting the various skill related accomplishments now -- just the points, which don't seem to add alot, because they are too few for too many skills.  I.e. there used to be extra skill addons/unlocks for having those accomplishments, but now its only the semi-anemic points?  

Also on GS, the current setup feels very very weak -- a stationary burst every minute or so, and hope you don't get a knock that wipes most of the time.  Gunners should get improved defenses against attacks (because they are supposed to be a distance class and would be in almost any other reality) or better recovery (shorter cd)-blocking skills.  How would a gunner fair in battle against KFM, assassins, BM's or any of the classes w/ability to close in 1 move and suspend all your options while they enjoy a long attack in pvp or pve.  I'm 99.9% pve, mostly because I don't have a chance in any pvp setup -- but its insane on a gunner to block normal benefits of the class while the other classes get *long*/unbreakable/uninterruptible OP attacks.    If you want to equalize that, then anyone caught in a Bullet Storm would have to be frozen for at least 50-75% of the duration and that's not the case, at all, but the gunner is rooted as effectively as being pinned by an attacker's melee attack.  Something that seems to be problematic now, is that when you did BS, you got bonuses to all fire damage, now...with mystic, I don't see any benefit or effect from Firefall during BS which seems like another cut even though overall DPS is up (but true for everyone).

I'd LOVE to be able to move around when using tomstone's concentrated shot....

• Like 1