Hongmoon Gem Powder for 25 SOLAR?

Snowyamur

Simply put: what?

Who allowed this? Is this even okay? Personally, I feel like this is a scam and just outright poorly-designed pricing for an item that could be bought from F5, or received in bundles of 8 from salvaging Octagonals. Charging 25 [Solar Energy] for ONE [Hongmoon Gem Powder]? That currency is better spent on mats. and gems over this.

Why do these design decisions make it through QA? This is atrocious and doesn't make sense. Anyone else here find this wrong, or is it just me?

I found them expensive enough to steer clear from them. So I'll be using my solars on penta obsidians instead. 40 solars + 25 soulstone crystals for a hexa obsidian isn't bad.

Edited by Hanuku

I will put this here to as it was part of another conversation regarding the gem powders price.

”If I had to take a guess on what players value most for their solar energy it would be badges (which is hard to put a true value on as it is a one and done situation) and obsidian gems.  So I will use obsidian gems as my example.  Pentas will be 10 solar energy after the update, so most people count it as 30 for a hexagon, but the difference between that and normal gems are the other material needed to upgrade it.  Pentas take 4 black stones to go to hexa, the solar energy exchange would value a fragment at 3 solar energy, which that I think is out dated so I will lower it down to 1.  This means to get a hexagonal using only solar energy would then cost you 110 solar energy.  If we compare that to hexa normal gem -> hepta using solar energy (buying hexa gems and gem powders). It would be 74 solar energies.”.

There is more that was discussed in the topic about how they should add more alternatives.  Solar energy is suppose to supplement.  None of the prices are really great for solar energy when dissecting it. 

19 minutes ago, Nihilu said:

I will put this here to as it was part of another conversation regarding the gem powders price.

”If I had to take a guess on what players value most for their solar energy it would be badges (which is hard to put a true value on as it is a one and done situation) and obsidian gems.  So I will use obsidian gems as my example.  Pentas will be 10 solar energy after the update, so most people count it as 30 for a hexagon, but the difference between that and normal gems are the other material needed to upgrade it.  Pentas take 4 black stones to go to hexa, the solar energy exchange would value a fragment at 3 solar energy, which that I think is out dated so I will lower it down to 1.  This means to get a hexagonal using only solar energy would then cost you 110 solar energy.  If we compare that to hexa normal gem -> hepta using solar energy (buying hexa gems and gem powders). It would be 74 solar energies.”.

There is more that was discussed in the topic about how they should add more alternatives.  Solar energy is suppose to supplement.  None of the prices are really great for solar energy when dissecting it. 

I thought it was only 40 solars for a hexa obsidian? I haven't done it yet but from what I'm seeing here, you buy pentas off Express for 10 solars as it doesn't sell squares anymore. So, spend 30 solars on 3 pentas, then on transmutation, you spend an additional 10 solars + 25 SS crystals and some gold for a hexa. Or am I missing something?

30 minutes ago, Hanuku said:

I thought it was only 40 solars for a hexa obsidian? I haven't done it yet but from what I'm seeing here, you buy pentas off Express for 10 solars as it doesn't sell squares anymore. So, spend 30 solars on 3 pentas, then on transmutation, you spend an additional 10 solars + 25 SS crystals and some gold for a hexa. Or am I missing something?

I was showing the difference of upgrading using only solar energy.  The thing about gems vs obsidian gems is the upgrade cost.  Regular gems to upgrade takes gem powder and only gem powders (and gold), where obsidian takes black stone (4 of them) and some SSC.  So from a pure upgrade stand point the regular gems for that tier costed less (that was with reducing the solar energy for fragments down to 1).

While black stones are easy to get, it is mainly to show the difference in upgrading.  As you get farther up the obsidian ladder you can’t even upgrade with just using solar energy as it takes to high grade of materials (blue scales).  There should be more sources for gem powders,  but looking at the rate they put items in for solar energy I don’t see them lowering it.  Finding good places to add them else where I think would be the better course of action.

i also haven’t looked at new upgrade cost and that was based on before update, I will double check upgrade cost quick XD

Edited by Nihilu

Ok so they did change hexas to solar energy, but you can look at the next stage which takes 8 black stones to get an idea on upgrades too.  8 silver scales for next stage and 8 blue scales for next.  Gem powders still are the only resources needed to upgrade gems.   So I apologize for relating old info but later stages would still follow this concept.

If you think about it, the last gem Upgrade required ~500 gem powders, that's 12.500 solar energy.

don't buy it right now, it's overpriced.

maybe 5-10 would be okay.

Edited by Arohk

10 hours ago, Snowyamur said:

Simply put: what?

Who allowed this? Is this even okay? Personally, I feel like this is a scam and just outright poorly-designed pricing for an item that could be bought from F5, or received in bundles of 8 from salvaging Octagonals. Charging 25 [Solar Energy] for ONE [Hongmoon Gem Powder]? That currency is better spent on mats. and gems over this.

Why do these design decisions make it through QA? This is atrocious and doesn't make sense. Anyone else here find this wrong, or is it just me?

It is overpriced but still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder. With that said you can bet that it will be lowered in the next update. Keep in mind you can also buy it from Merchant of Wonders, 5 Powder for 25 gold which is still kind of high IMO but a bit better.

I still look at it like this while the cost is hilarious, players need to also keep in mind upgrading your gems is a one time thing so it should be a bit costly. (Again don't take anything I say out of context and act like I'm defending them as I do not agree on the price of them with solar energy).

Still believe if they listened and ask players for possible suggestions and then go with a reasonable suggestion then the game as a whole would be better off. Example, remove Hexagonal Gems from solar energy, replace with Heptagonal for 8 solar energy. Allow Heptagonal to be salvage for 1 Hongmoon Gem Powder, everyone wins.

10 hours ago, Nihilu said:

Ok so they did change hexas to solar energy, but you can look at the next stage which takes 8 black stones to get an idea on upgrades too.  8 silver scales for next stage and 8 blue scales for next.  Gem powders still are the only resources needed to upgrade gems.   So I apologize for relating old info but later stages would still follow this concept.

That concept is irrelevant, even as an up and coming player, if someone has done the Daily Challenge enough to make a Hexa and they're worried about buying Blackstones with Solar Energy then there is something wrong with them. Why even bring up something so useless? The people who would have this issue aren't aware of much in the game to really be bothered.

1 hour ago, Kitsune Takahashi said:

It is overpriced but still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder. With that said you can bet that it will be lowered in the next update. Keep in mind you can also buy it from Merchant of Wonders, 5 Powder for 25 gold which is still kind of high IMO but a bit better.

I still look at it like this while the cost is hilarious, players need to also keep in mind upgrading your gems is a one time thing so it should be a bit costly. (Again don't take anything I say out of context and act like I'm defending them as I do not agree on the price of them with solar energy).

Still believe if they listened and ask players for possible suggestions and then go with a reasonable suggestion then the game as a whole would be better off. Example, remove Hexagonal Gems from solar energy, replace with Heptagonal for 8 solar energy. Allow Heptagonal to be salvage for 1 Hongmoon Gem Powder, everyone wins.

"It is overpriced but still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder"
"Keep in mind you can also buy it from Merchant of Wonders, 5 Powder for 25 gold which is still kind of high IMO but a bit better."

"players need to also keep in mind upgrading your gems is a one time thing so it should be a bit costly"
You're literally saying exactly what no one will agree with except maybe that white knight, but I think even he disagreed on this one. Who said they shouldn't be a bit costly? You say don't take anything you say out of context, I really don't get what you're trying to say then. If you agree it's an unusable source, what's your point, just wait until they reduce the price, if they do at all?

• NCSOFT

The Hongmoon Gem Powders in the Dragon Express is one way to obtain them this update. We've also added them to the Merchant of Wonders. You'll be able to get 5 Hongmoon Gem Powder for 25g if he spawns. That being said, we will forward the feedback to the developers. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wefhqweig said:

That concept is irrelevant, even as an up and coming player, if someone has done the Daily Challenge enough to make a Hexa and they're worried about buying Blackstones with Solar Energy then there is something wrong with them. Why even bring up something so useless? The people who would have this issue aren't aware of much in the game to really be bothered.

The concept is to show what value each item has for the solar exchange.  I can almost guarantee that the developers would have a set value for the solar energy.  Obsidian requires increasing tiers of resources so for the average players the lower tier won’t have “value” but from development perspective all of these different items have value.  There seems to be a multiplier between tiers of about three (looking at daily boxes and solar exchange for different tier rewards). This means that an obsidian going from octagonal to triangular would be from a tier system “value” system it would be 1,449 blackstone fragments.  Converted to solar energy I think it would end up being more then getting the gem powders to go from gilded triangle to square.

the other reason I don’t think the development team won’t really decrease how many solar energy would be required is due to how you get solar energy.  With it just being a part of the DC rewards the other value of mats need to be taken into account. While everyone value bound mats/materials differently the DC rewards are still one of the most valuable per time/effort in the game, even without factoring in solar energy.

my suggestion in your thread was to try and get them placed in more areas.  Kaari lord and HM as random drops as the rewards for using an orb should be greater then the first boss of CS. In Mao where there is currently nothing besides scales and the item for her currency.  Where all other solo content has something to still cash in on once you pass that tiers need.  DGS/XP charm/ obsidian gems.

1 hour ago, Cyan said:

The Hongmoon Gem Powders in the Dragon Express is one way to obtain them this update. We've also added them to the Merchant of Wonders. You'll be able to get 5 Hongmoon Gem Powder for 25g if he spawns. That being said, we will forward the feedback to the developers. 

Thank you.

You do realise that this is nothing that helps us ?

With all the respect that i can scratch together at the moment, please open your eyes and play the game more than just on streams, its hilarious how less the NCSoft-Team understands its own game.

Edited by FlockUndead
edited for clarification

• NCSOFT
52 minutes ago, FlockUndead said:

You do realise that this is nothing that helps us ?

With all the respect that i can scratch together at the moment, please open your eyes and play the game more than just on stream, its hilarious how less you understand your own game.

Generally a lot of these designs are done on a server level rather than a personal level. These items are tradeable, and adding them to the game through various methods should in turn make them cheaper to obtain for everyone. As I said, we will forward the feedback to the developers as this is how they designed it currently. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Generally a lot of these designs are done on a server level rather than a personal level. 

Sorry if this sounded wrong, with "you" i didnt specify it to you directly, but the "NCSoft-Teams" as a whole. 

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

These items are tradeable, and adding them to the game through various methods should in turn make them cheaper to obtain for everyone

Thats true, but this change is literally like a water droplet on a 500°C hot stove, you wont notice it, it vaporizes before it reaches the surface.

Edited by FlockUndead

1 hour ago, Nihilu said:

The concept is to show what value each item has for the solar exchange.  I can almost guarantee that the developers would have a set value for the solar energy.  Obsidian requires increasing tiers of resources so for the average players the lower tier won’t have “value” but from development perspective all of these different items have value.  There seems to be a multiplier between tiers of about three (looking at daily boxes and solar exchange for different tier rewards). This means that an obsidian going from octagonal to triangular would be from a tier system “value” system it would be 1,449 blackstone fragments.  Converted to solar energy I think it would end up being more then getting the gem powders to go from gilded triangle to square.

the other reason I don’t think the development team won’t really decrease how many solar energy would be required is due to how you get solar energy.  With it just being a part of the DC rewards the other value of mats need to be taken into account. While everyone value bound mats/materials differently the DC rewards are still one of the most valuable per time/effort in the game, even without factoring in solar energy.

my suggestion in your thread was to try and get them placed in more areas.  Kaari lord and HM as random drops as the rewards for using an orb should be greater then the first boss of CS. In Mao where there is currently nothing besides scales and the item for her currency.  Where all other solo content has something to still cash in on once you pass that tiers need.  DGS/XP charm/ obsidian gems.

You can't compare powders to Blackstones, they're easily obtained through several dungeons and reward chests, even newer players get an abundance until they start working on their talisman, but by that point, they're not really new players anymore. So, the 3 solar energy cost is obsolete because there's a far better source to get them. But gem powders on the other hand, only come from the merchant, and honestly, how often do you see him and how often will he even sell powders? That aside, what newbie who hasn't played long enough to get extra blackstone fragments be doing trying to upgrade the Obsidian Gem so high?

Like you said though, energies come from the daily challenge and in my opinion, that's why they can't be a main source for powders, only a supplement because... alts. But, even then, they need a better value to actually be worth buying. Right now, they may as well have not even added them because so few will find it worth buying them currently. To me and literally every single person I know, the addition of the Hongmoon Gem Powders to the Dragon Express has mad absolutely 0 impact. It's useless.

25 solars for one gem powder..  you guys have your head up your.. at the game level those solar energies are best spent on other things. Me thinks this is a developer heeding the calls of the whales in the game who have thousands of energies.. it does not represent the general populace of the game.. and the retarded Merchant of wonders.. its a wonder it spawns anything but total junk.. its rare enough already to only spawn  crafting materials and a gold chest that only gives 10 gold for 15 spent.  More often than not the Merchant of Wonders is a pile of ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤.

54 minutes ago, wefhqweig said:

You can't compare powders to Blackstones, they're easily obtained through several dungeons and reward chests, even newer players get an abundance until they start working on their talisman, but by that point, they're not really new players anymore. So, the 3 solar energy cost is obsolete because there's a far better source to get them. But gem powders on the other hand, only come from the merchant, and honestly, how often do you see him and how often will he even sell powders? That aside, what newbie who hasn't played long enough to get extra blackstone fragments be doing trying to upgrade the Obsidian Gem so high?

Like you said though, energies come from the daily challenge and in my opinion, that's why they can't be a main source for powders, only a supplement because... alts. But, even then, they need a better value to actually be worth buying. Right now, they may as well have not even added them because so few will find it worth buying them currently. To me and literally every single person I know, the addition of the Hongmoon Gem Powders to the Dragon Express has mad absolutely 0 impact. It's useless.

I was trying to break down how much value a solar energy has for everything else.  Solar energy “value” is low, for everything including obsidian as upgrades at higher tier are a lot more consuming of mats, that are currently used in a lot of different upgrades (and needing 25 to make a dyad).  I was trying to take market value out of the equation and look at it from a development perspective, by having an actual gold value they will need to be put at a higher ratio then bound items (as can be seen in the value Of bids in dungeons for bound mats vs sealed).  After a certain point solar energy becomes darn near pointless to players.  You can’t get much for high end materials, so putting an item that is sellable into the solar exchange for high end players give some more use to them.

That is why my arguments have always been focus on adding more sources that I think the developers might find reasonable.  The orb bosses have a value already associated with their fight so the rewards should in theory be able to be higher for the difficulty.  Mao while farmable, to obtain enough coins to buy said fragment/gem powders will be put at a point that would take a quite a bit of effort,  it at the same time give people reason to keep doing her daily and adding more to the market.

We both agree that they should be a supplement, but a lot of arguments have been to increase the value of solar energy then, for one item.  I just don’t see them making the value for one item that high when comparing the materials in the solar exchange with what is needed for the upgrades.

Edited by Nihilu

1 hour ago, Nihilu said:

We both agree that they should be a supplement, but a lot of arguments have been to increase the value of solar energy then, for one item.  I just don’t see them making the value for one item that high when comparing the materials in the solar exchange with what is needed for the upgrades.

We aren't asking for the value of [Solar Energy] to be higher; we're asking for the price for one [Hongmoon Gem Powder] to be lower. Pricing 1 powder at 25 Solar isn't worth it, especially for something that can be bought off F5, and as someone mentioned earlier, bought in a pack of 5 from the Merchant of Wonders for 25g.

Granted, this is the free way to get gem powder, and that's to be recognized as a huge plus given that gem powders are priced at 15g/ piece, but considering that players are faced with either getting [Hexagonal Gems] or the powder for Solar, I'd find more value getting at least 3 Hexagonals over 1 gem powder because even without the powder, I would already have the gems required to craft [Heptagonal Gems], and considering these gems are not sold on F5, they're more valuable because they're harder to get.

It's a matter of what players can make more use out of: the powder or the gems. They make use out of both, but one is more expensive than the other, and one can't be obtained via the marketplace over the other. It's about making the right purchase with what you have.

3 hours ago, Cyan said:

Generally a lot of these designs are done on a server level rather than a personal level. These items are tradeable, and adding them to the game through various methods should in turn make them cheaper to obtain for everyone. As I said, we will forward the feedback to the developers as this is how they designed it currently. 

And server-level testing is better than personal-level testing because you're accommodating for everyone involved, so this is good to know @Cyan.

However, please keep in mind that part of good game design comes from constant and consistent playtesting, and I'm not sure how much playtesting is being done developer-side because the updates we usually get for Blade & Soul are either too grindy for us to do at best, are just too unfair and poorly-balanced, or are clearly made to milk money from us, the players. A lot of complaints directed at this game, like my shock at how 1 [Hongmoon Gem Powder] costs 25 [Solar Energy], are mistakes that should've been resolved from playtesting the game, understanding how long it takes for players to get item X to purchase item Y, or how difficult the grind for gear-leveling truly is.

It's good to hear that our feedback like this is heard, but more can be done. Right now, the playerbase is very distrustful of NCSOFT due to a lack of community engagement, and that has to be rectified such that the game is directed towards a better path.

2 minutes ago, Snowyamur said:

Right now, the playerbase is very distrustful of NCSOFT due to a lack of community engagement, and that has to be rectified such that the game is directed towards a better path.

The playerbase has been distrustful since the first Trove """Event""". But this company and its business choices make me experience a whole new level of low effort money milking and ignorance. To your Topic : i fully agree with you, i dont think there is any playtesting being done, and IF they playtest ANYTHING in this game, its probably from noone that actually plays the game for more than 10 minutes a month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlockUndead said:

The playerbase has been distrustful since the first Trove """Event""". But this company and its business choices make me experience a whole new level of low effort money milking and ignorance. To your Topic : i fully agree with you, i dont think there is any playtesting being done, and IF they playtest ANYTHING in this game, its probably from noone that actually plays the game for more than 10 minutes a month.

And that's the thing. We have to remember that a videogame is a videogame, such that people play and experience it like a simulation. Blade & Soul is no different.

With updates being slowly integrated like this, yet at a decent pace, it makes me think, "Hey, the developers are actually playtesting their game," and then when the update hits and players complain about how the new weapons, mats., etc. are too grindy, event or updated rewards don't make sense, or system changes don't make sense, it makes me question how much is this game actually being playtested? If only the developers are playtesting the game, then that's not enough because developers program the game more than they play it. They don't go through the grinding and tedious-nature of farming like the players do because they spend more of their time working on maintaining and building the game, which is different from playing it.

Real and accurate playtesting has to come from the players themselves, especially those who truly want to support this game, because only they would know what's better for the game in-terms of making it fun, after all, they play it a lot.

NCSOFT needs to openly-ask players to become part of their playtesting group or something, because otherwise, updates that keep being released will only continue to be bad because they're designed based on executive thinking, not actual game design and what makes a game fun.

56 minutes ago, Snowyamur said:

We aren't asking for the value of [Solar Energy] to be higher; we're asking for the price for one [Hongmoon Gem Powder] to be lower. Pricing 1 powder at 25 Solar isn't worth it, especially for something that can be bought off F5, and as someone mentioned earlier, bought in a pack of 5 from the Merchant of Wonders for 25g.

Granted, this is the free way to get gem powder, and that's to be recognized as a huge plus given that gem powders are priced at 15g/ piece, but considering that players are faced with either getting [Hexagonal Gems] or the powder for Solar, I'd find more value getting at least 3 Hexagonals over 1 gem powder because even without the powder, I would already have the gems required to craft [Heptagonal Gems], and considering these gems are not sold on F5, they're more valuable because they're harder to get.

It's a matter of what players can make more use out of: the powder or the gems. They make use out of both, but one is more expensive than the other, and one can't be obtained via the marketplace over the other. It's about making the right purchase with what you have.

Id say players are better off getting even if not tradable, the octagonal and maybe even triangular gems from moon refuge than waste solar energies ion 3 hexa gems to make 1 hepta....

37 minutes ago, Snowyamur said:

But it is asking for the value to be increased o the solar energy.  The current “rate” that players are saying they will feel it is acceptable in the threads I have read is like 5-10.  The thing is for a mat that you sell on the market that doesn’t correlate with their other prices.

I already showed upgrade cost wise why obsidian isn’t as “solar energy” great as people seem to claim.  So the other items come down to vintage pet (selling for like 80-90 gold per not super rare pet, but have chance at a penguine worth 0 gold) 60 solar energy, badges, old tier being one and done tho.  Raid matts which looking at sealed hive queen hearts, which are going for 42 gold right now, a non sealed one imo is worth less then half of that in cost for “buying”, and those are priced at 30 solar energy.  You have 1 mill XP charm at 50 tokens, values differ by player on xp but lookin at higher tiers of xp levels is like 400 mill (hm 20s if we are looking at gilded tris) that would be like 20k + solar energy per level up, and again not sellable or even character tradeable matt.  And then keys, 20 for class specific weapon chest key, and like 5 for pvp chests.

Hexagonal seems to be a higher preferred choice for you, but as the game have more ways to get heptas now even those can be ignored if you are willing to be patient (CS and hm if you can solo/outbid/get an honest moml group, daily dash, or event tokens), so if you are able to get these the gem powders would end up being the preferred choice over the hexagonal.  The value just seems right for the gem powders right now with solar exchange based on the other mats and their value/benefit per upgrade.  The only items you can get in a day-3 days of DCs are the super outdated materials, or the keys to chests you still need to earn, or XP which becomes a drop in the bucket really fast.  There just needs to be more options to get said powders in game.

6 hours ago, wefhqweig said:

"It is overpriced but still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder"
"Keep in mind you can also buy it from Merchant of Wonders, 5 Powder for 25 gold which is still kind of high IMO but a bit better."

"players need to also keep in mind upgrading your gems is a one time thing so it should be a bit costly"
You're literally saying exactly what no one will agree with except maybe that white knight, but I think even he disagreed on this one. Who said they shouldn't be a bit costly? You say don't take anything you say out of context, I really don't get what you're trying to say then. If you agree it's an unusable source, what's your point, just wait until they reduce the price, if they do at all?

Basically you can either wait til it is reduced or just deal with it and move along. As you know price will more then likely be reduced. Let me ask you one thing however, once you get done making your Obsidian, what real use is Solar Energy other then either supply alt characters with soul badges, or blowing it on now Hongmoon Gem Powder, maybe the experience charms for alt characters. While I agree with most the price is high, it is still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder that as free players lacked in regards to the update which removed a source. Now it isn't strictly a Trove item.

Besides while it might not be ideal, go farm Moon Refuge. Get the Gilded Gems while they are RNG on which you might get. Farm the Murky Drake get some of them to cut cost on the powder you need so you can work on upgrading the BiS Gem types (I swear if you say but they aren't Dyad I will beat you lol) and go from there until a better source comes along.

Edited by Kitsune Takahashi

2 hours ago, Kitsune Takahashi said:

Basically you can either wait til it is reduced or just deal with it and move along. As you know price will more then likely be reduced. Let me ask you one thing however, once you get done making your Obsidian, what real use is Solar Energy other then either supply alt characters with soul badges, or blowing it on now Hongmoon Gem Powder, maybe the experience charms for alt characters. While I agree with most the price is high, it is still a source of Hongmoon Gem Powder that as free players lacked in regards to the update which removed a source. Now it isn't strictly a Trove item.

Besides while it might not be ideal, go farm Moon Refuge. Get the Gilded Gems while they are RNG on which you might get. Farm the Murky Drake get some of them to cut cost on the powder you need so you can work on upgrading the BiS Gem types (I swear if you say but they aren't Dyad I will beat you lol) and go from there until a better source comes along.

If I had Gilded Obsidians and all my badges I still wouldn't buy that ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤. I'd save and wait for something useful to be added to the game or if they actually do adjust the price, then maybe I'd buy them then.

I haven't done much Moon Refuge, but I assumed the chance of getting a salvageable gem was too low to bother.

Edited by wefhqweig