Astarae

mature game?

Astarae   

I've been told that many korean costumes are excised or "cleaned up" for the delicate western market.  Tell me this is rare to non-existent, cuz so many of the costumes ARE so tame -- many are beautiful, but I've seen all-textured options for a couple of costumers that weren't nudes, but might be NSFW.

Something I've see in very few games is having some outfits have 'Alt-Textures'.  If you want more risqué options, you could choose to see them on your account.  But for example, lets say we have costume ratings

like PG -- stuff you see at the mall, Sexy -- stuff you see at night clubs or fashion shows, and stuff that would earn a Mature rating.  

If person A goes for PG, B for sexy, and C for Mature -- then anytime a person in 'C' group sees teh costume

it would be the sexy-variant  -- on them and others, i.e. their 'world' looks sexier. but at opposite end of scale, a PG person would see the PG variant on themselves and others -- a PG world.  But that way everyone could see the level of world they were comfortable with.  That's alot to addin to deal with something like that -- and mostly I'd just want to ensure that we aren't getting an edited down version.

Indeed, Funmation (et al.) had to go through a long learning cycle.  They found many americans stayed away from funmation redone anime's because they were censored and people preferred the the uncensored versions.  It took over a decade, but eventually they started releasing anime's with uncensored, uncut video and audio.  And many times it makes little difference, but sometimes, a cut version would ruin a show, take it from an interesting show with a message, to something boring.  

I've seen some companies do this to "topic" (content) as well.  I remember a movie maybe back in the 90's that maybe got a 'PG' rating in france about a boy growing up thinking he was a girl and the problems that caused.  In the US, even though there was no nudity or bad language, it got rated  'XXX' in some southern states that prohibit it being shown in normal theaters and rated 'NC-17' which prevent distribution in all major video carrying companies.  All that based *solely* on content and topic. 

It was an 'artsy' movie done with surreal cuts to the boy's thoughts of himself as some type of magical girl -- but very innocent and non-sexual (even if it was a a surreal topic as well.  Things like that are just so annoying!   Anime, conversely (and often) excels in dealing with sensitive issues in a variety of ways: humor, bleeding noses, sensitivity, and over-the-top fan-service (Queen's Blade and High School DxD).  Sure those weren't like to win any awards, (though the first season of QB was groundbreaking!) and sure some drag things out long past anyone's interest (ok, I'm sure there are still tweeners and early teens that might be), but some treat topics that would be forbidden in the west with sensitivity and compassion.    Of course it does show which guys have matured and which are still hung up on oversized mammary glands embedded in fat (though most would have to be synthetic).  I really don't want to see anime become "westernized" as I think that would also involve it being sterilized.  Ick.  It's usually only a few loud verbal and rude types that want to control things for everyone one else, so please don't censor away korean fashion and sensibilities.  Part of coming to this game it to be exposed to different cultural values and art  -- you lose that, and what's the point?  

-Astara

What I think is that people in the west have become so so butthurt over anything and everything to put it very lightly.

I mean look at the news, all you see is people getting angry over almost everything. Everything is bad, everything is too revealing or racist. You can't bring up your own opinions in a civilised manor without instantly getting bombarded by 1 side or the other. 20 years ago people didn't care, they were chill and understanding about all this stuff.

But now, now lots of stuff gets censored, changed, left out or whatever just to make sure that no one gets angry, upset or anything else of the sort over it.

It's good, and there should, to have ways to "censor" or otherwise deal with sensitive issues like the profanity filter, however too much is too much and people have gone way overboard about it all. I could go on but I better not :D

Let's just say that it feels like people are getting less and less smarter over the years instead of the other way around.

Junamaki   

The news only care about ratings lol so of course everything will be negative since that’s what gets them the most views.

Hanuku   

There may be censored things in games like these, but since they are in PC, you can add texture mods. I have one or two myself. A recolor here, a thing added or removed there, and you can change how your outfit looks and only you get to see it. I personally believe in sexy but not in sexual, unless the theme of the game can allow going with less (like the Conan games, for example). But usually, while I like sexy looks and sexy outfits the same way as the next guy, I'm not really into looking at exposed bits while fighting monsters or other NPC humans. But that's just me. As I said, there are mods that can give you most of what you'd want and then some. For those, though, search engines are your friends. And do note that official Support won't help you with a modded game if something goes wrong. So explore, learn and then apply.

ARC-1276   

Here's a simple thing to summarize western culture and its attitude to mature content: Boobs are evil and must be cut off of every woman to "liberate" them. But literally splitting a man in two and showing the split halves fly past you in slow motion so you can see their insides: perfectly acceptable.

Grimoir   

Hmm...last i remember its not ncsoft but the Rating Commitee that actually enforces censorship when a game is being rated....with that said doesnt matter what nc thinks or wants, if they are told to censor they are obligated to do so, especially since thats a sensitive topic in EU at least.

Astarae   

That may be true in order for NCSoft to get a specific rating and I know nothing about ratings in the EU, but who would be requiring NCSoft to tone down amount of skin -- and please note, I'm not talking about full frontal nudity, though I wouldn't strongly object to that, I probably wouldn't find it exactly appealing -- I mean what's the point of all the outfits if there's no outfit.  However, in some shots of women in 'jumpers', the top's will have a split to the belly button but be fully covering of nipples and show nothing more than cleavage. 

I've heard and seen outfits in videos and the artwork with a cut all the way to the waist or belly button, but the the US version shows up with it closed or zipped all the way to the top.  What's up with that?  The long split is clearly more sexy, but in no way would it exceed a PG rating and certainly not the 'R' rating that mature theoretically corresponds to.

But certainly, KOR textures could be available for download and I wouldn't think compatibility would be an issue.  Sure, NCx might have to comply with country codes, but if users download it from a site in another country and the loader or the game has an option to "look-aside" in a user's personal folder before looking in the localization folder and stock-game folder.  

But what irks me is gratuitous censoring of things that are sexy, but not showing anything explicit.  That's the thing that bothers me the most -- like I can't even handle seeing a bare belly button as though it was some demented return to the early ears of "I Dream of Jeannie" where they had to be careful in earlier season to avoid showing a bare belly button.  

Still maybe the best solution might be making original textures available for D/l and installation?

Hanuku   
4 hours ago, Astarae said:

That may be true in order for NCSoft to get a specific rating and I know nothing about ratings in the EU, but who would be requiring NCSoft to tone down amount of skin -- and please note, I'm not talking about full frontal nudity, though I wouldn't strongly object to that, I probably wouldn't find it exactly appealing -- I mean what's the point of all the outfits if there's no outfit.  However, in some shots of women in 'jumpers', the top's will have a split to the belly button but be fully covering of nipples and show nothing more than cleavage. 

I've heard and seen outfits in videos and the artwork with a cut all the way to the waist or belly button, but the the US version shows up with it closed or zipped all the way to the top.  What's up with that?  The long split is clearly more sexy, but in no way would it exceed a PG rating and certainly not the 'R' rating that mature theoretically corresponds to.

But certainly, KOR textures could be available for download and I wouldn't think compatibility would be an issue.  Sure, NCx might have to comply with country codes, but if users download it from a site in another country and the loader or the game has an option to "look-aside" in a user's personal folder before looking in the localization folder and stock-game folder.  

But what irks me is gratuitous censoring of things that are sexy, but not showing anything explicit.  That's the thing that bothers me the most -- like I can't even handle seeing a bare belly button as though it was some demented return to the early ears of "I Dream of Jeannie" where they had to be careful in earlier season to avoid showing a bare belly button.  

Still maybe the best solution might be making original textures available for D/l and installation?

Check the China version. Our version wasn't as censored in comparison...

I have no problems with out version. But if you want more, I'm sure a search engine can be of great help.

Cor   

Huh? We have exactly the same outfits as korea there is nothing censored.

SalemK   
4 hours ago, Cor said:

Huh? We have exactly the same outfits as korea there is nothing censored.

^ this lol I’m so confused because we do have the same version of outfits as kr.

Astarae   

As for our version vs. Korean, I'm going by what others have said.  But vs. artwork and other versions of same outfit -- going by what I have seen.  One simple example with the unnamed spies of the girl who became the ruler after her father -- who told Jyansei to contact them when she got to Desari -- they had a black outfit w/large zipper in front that was unzipped down to show cleavage in front.  There are a few outfits like, I think Midnight Action hero that look the same, but are zipped up to a high collar.  There are 2 variants on this seen in a transition artwork screen, one with an almost pendant like zipper tab and another also showing it unzipped a ways down in front, yet the version(s) / variants for PC's are more conservative.

Many times an outfit for Yun is seen on Gon's or Jin where they put fishnet stockings on the Yun and let on the less-leggy Gon and/or jin.  Yun, usually are the most 'leggy' but more often have their legs obscured behind stockings or plastic-wrap.  While the plastic wrap / plastic/shiny often looks "ok", a version with leg instead of plastic-shine might look better, since having worn some outfits with that plastic-like sheen, I can't help but look at them and think how uncomfortable they are.

As for reskins, I only know about 5 for Yuns in costumes I have and they aren't for costumes I normally wear much.  By 'five', I'm limiting it to ones where there isn't explicit nudity but ones

with deeper cuts or more skin showing.  Out of 100's thats a pretty low level.

Astarae   

This shows an example, sorta of what I'm taking about.  Character on right posing in "Pioneer", vs. character on left in similar or same outfit, but with a sexier front line.  So why not pioneer with the unzipped front?

81es56Y.jpg

SalemK   
On 5/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, Astarae said:

This shows an example, sorta of what I'm taking about.  Character on right posing in "Pioneer", vs. character on left in similar or same outfit, but with a sexier front line.  So why not pioneer with the unzipped front?

81es56Y.jpg

It’s different because that’s a gon not a yun in the artwork version, yuns have the same exact version as the right in KR as well.

Astarae   

3 hours ago, SalemK said:

It’s different because that’s a gon not a yun in the artwork version, yuns have the same exact version as the right in KR as well.

How are you seeing that as a gon?  looks like a yun w/that face and style;...oh...maybe that's a sword-on-back?  Hmmm...i'd be more easily convinced yuns could be destro's at some time in the past than the above looking like a gon.

What about the "Nameless"of Yunma Feh -- they had on black outfit w/big zippers, unzipped down-over cleavage.  The first one introduced and that first squad had that black leather one with big zippers, I'm not prepared to believe they were all gons.

Even if above is a gon, why not the same outfit for a yun?  I don't consider the above to be tacky, though I would have had the zippers closer up top and got rid of the triangle top.  Same going for some outfits on jin -- where they are wearing the same outfit, but don't have tacky looking fishnets or hosiery.   Several of the outfits on yuns look more cheesy w/fishnets, though perhaps they don't have the same showgirl-on-stage feel that I more often associate them with.  I'm not sure where yuns get this chaste or prim reputation from creatures bound with trees, certain creature faeries like sylphs and mermaids were oft pictured using their visual charms in their dealings w/humans. 

Among elves and humans living in the forest, they were often unseen or camouflaged in the woods with bows and swords until they revealed themselves, but I've never seen them covered like nuns.   It's hard to see creatures of the forest being afflicted with body-shame.

Hanuku   
15 hours ago, Astarae said:

How are you seeing that as a gon?  looks like a yun w/that face and style;...oh...maybe that's a sword-on-back?  Hmmm...i'd be more easily convinced yuns could be destro's at some time in the past than the above looking like a gon.

What about the "Nameless"of Yunma Feh -- they had on black outfit w/big zippers, unzipped down-over cleavage.  The first one introduced and that first squad had that black leather one with big zippers, I'm not prepared to believe they were all gons.

Even if above is a gon, why not the same outfit for a yun?  I don't consider the above to be tacky, though I would have had the zippers closer up top and got rid of the triangle top.  Same going for some outfits on jin -- where they are wearing the same outfit, but don't have tacky looking fishnets or hosiery.   Several of the outfits on yuns look more cheesy w/fishnets, though perhaps they don't have the same showgirl-on-stage feel that I more often associate them with.  I'm not sure where yuns get this chaste or prim reputation from creatures bound with trees, certain creature faeries like sylphs and mermaids were oft pictured using their visual charms in their dealings w/humans. 

Among elves and humans living in the forest, they were often unseen or camouflaged in the woods with bows and swords until they revealed themselves, but I've never seen them covered like nuns.   It's hard to see creatures of the forest being afflicted with body-shame.

I just checked the outfit in F3 in game. Jin is unzipped about halfway and Gon is nearly fully unzipped. Yun is zipped to the top (and as always Lyn gets the alien looking outfit lel). Why weren't they given the same stuff? No idea. Dev choice I suppose. I also suppose it's lore based to make the Yun a wee bit more elegant. While the Gon would be the more risky in terms of what they wear and jin being in the middle of the bunch (and lyn is lyn so whatevs).