Friend List Empty

aKaidesu

Hello, 

title pretty much. It seems like it's not being loaded or displayed etc. to the client as sending a request to an "ex-friend" gives you the message that you're already friends with that person. 

My block and spammer lists seem to be fine though.

Cheers.

PS: The issue is quite rare. Nobody from my raid group seems to have it. I just know of a redditor that reported it as well

s02hd4v.jpg

Edited by aKaidesu
ps

ive been stuck with this bug for several months and im rather saddened that this is still a probelm and yes i understand you cant replicate this but there must be some reason why a few players are still experiencing this problem to this day and why these players have gotten this problem in the first place id happily send my bns data to you if it means i can sort my problem but all i got when i asked with support was this is a known issue and we are working on fixing it well seems like this issue is still here nearly a year after i got it i know its not your fault but its just frustrating

11 hours ago, scytheshock said:

ive been stuck with this bug for several months and im rather saddened that this is still a probelm and yes i understand you cant replicate this but there must be some reason why a few players are still experiencing this problem to this day and why these players have gotten this problem in the first place id happily send my bns data to you if it means i can sort my problem but all i got when i asked with support was this is a known issue and we are working on fixing it well seems like this issue is still here nearly a year after i got it i know its not your fault but its just frustrating

I got hit w/this this month, so did another friend who asked me if I had deleted them from my friends list -- told them no, and told them mine had been blanked.  Asked if they still had any entries but they didn't have any either.

FWIW, I did clean out both of my block lists recently, but that was a few weeks ago.  I don't think I'd done that before.  It's possible I hadn't added any new friends to the list though, since cleaning it -- maybe I added a friend more recently though, and it cleared the list soon after?  Not sure .

Question: where is the friend list stored?  I noticed files (in my Documents directory, under dir 'BnS', under dir 'NCWest', i.e. if ~==my home dir, and my documents dir is just named "Documents", then at

"~/Documents/BnS/NCWEST/") that seemed to contain a block list for each character, but didn't notice anything resembling a friend list.  Seems like it would be common to all characters on an account, but nothing looking like a friend list.  I was hoping the friend list would be there along with the block lists, but either it was in a separately named file that was gone all-together, or it isn't kept in the same place.

Does anyone know if the friend list is normally in the same place (different filename) as the block lists?  The fact

that the file was missing, entirely, might indicate why it was empty in game.  I was hoping to find the friend file to see if it was empty, but in absence of any file looking like a friend list, could mean

1) I have the wrong location or

2) whatever deleted the friends in game resulted in an empty friend file that may have been deleted because it was empty.

It's possible it wasn't supposed to be deleted and something isn't recreating the file for friends to be stored in, but just guessing.

Edited by Astarae
added question about location of friends list

Also got this problem recently. I've heard NCsoft support has replied to others that they have absolutely no clue what causes it with no fix. Very unfortunate they're demonstrating this level of incompetency.

On 2019-05-04 at 4:06 PM, TheMagykal said:

Also got this problem recently. I've heard NCsoft support has replied to others that they have absolutely no clue what causes it with no fix. Very unfortunate they're demonstrating this level of incompetency.

I had this issue for more than a year since the first server merge. It was one of the reasons I gave up and quit bns. I've tried it with three different computers and my friend list still appeared empty.

It is hard to support a company that can't fix what is a core issue to an MMO.

Edited by 753951

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would like to report a fault in the game which occured after your last update. I am not able to find my friends and cannot add friends to F4, they are basically not showing up. I am aware that you have reseted players F4 but after all, I am not able to see my friends which I have added. My friends can see me F4 but I can't see them. I am not the only one who has this problem. My partner is also having issues with this. Please fix this problem 
Thank you

An update on this -- mine started working when 2 people asked to be friends -- I approved, but nothing happened for

a while -- but that's because they weren't on -- cuz when they got on, they appeared.  And here's what else I noticed.

Was talking w/someone about this in chat, and they complained that they never knew when I was on because my

indicators in 'friends' always indicated I was offline.  So we thought I'd might try to friend him again -- and i got message that I was already friends w/him (even though he wasn't on my list since I lost the list).  I told him to try unfriending me and redo it, he did -- and then he could see me, but he still wasn't on my list. so had him try again, but let me invite him this time.

Was able to invite, but still couldn't see him -- but later he changed characters, and when he came in on his new

character, I got message he was on line -- and checked and he was now on my list.

So you might try getting someone who has you on their list to drop you, then try inviting them again, and then if it doesn't appear, have them bounce back to lobby and re-enter.  I don't know if my list will still have anyone on them when I go back in (as lost connection a while ago) and couldn't relog in -- wierd...

Anyway, just thought I'd update this w/my symptoms...the fact that game still thought I was friends w/somone who hd

been on my list seemed significant -- i.e still there, but just not on my list...

• 4 weeks later...

this "bug" has honestly gone on for almost a year, probably more. my friends list has been this way for almost 10 months now

tbh it doesn't look like its gunna get fixed ever [that's just me though]

Edited by Lachey

• 4 weeks later...

Yup far more than a year.....and honestly they really have no priority in trying to fix this. That wasn't said based on any dislike or bias either - as I could very well show my support logs in which this was said. Compared to anything else they  may be doing on the game this is seemingly a non-issue. =/

Just for additional context after a considerably long back and forth through a support ticket until someone went and just asked the devs about it (I can only assume) -

January 24, 2019 15:18

Hi ----------

We have made several follow-ups about this issue. As per our QA team, after checking it out with our devs, they only received "there's still no update", and the issue is still open on our devs' list of issues to be addressed. If there would be any update about this issue, it will be communicated with the players accordingly via our forums:

• 2 weeks later...
  • NCSOFT

Hi all,

I've escalated this issue again today. We know that some of you suffering from this issue since a year now, and we know that this is unacceptable. We would like to apologize that this keeps happening for you. We collected data and tried to reproduce it on our end to find a solution since day one of the report, unfortunately, we've not been successful yet.

Hello @Baskerville im not sure that this is the right cause of the problem, but me and several other friends have the same friend list bug as the others here. i tried to think of what we all have in common to try to pinpoint the cause of the issue. the only thing i found is we all had one friend in our list back then, that deleted his entire characters and was showing as simply an empty box that neither me or the others could delete as a friend. i think you should look into this and if this might be the cause of the problem. it looked like this

48zgUiV.png

Edited by MistII

Apparently im affected by this bug for over 11 (in words eleven)!!!!! month now and still no fix in sight...

and @Baskerville sorry to ruin your day, but honestly who should belive this. You not have been sucessfully localizing this problem in 11+ month?
Sorry i start beliving you just dont care cause it wont bring money to fix this issue.

How much you care about the affected people we see. Just some random excuses every few month but not even a tiny compesation

• 2 weeks later...

@Baskerville I had this problem since the server merge, i am unsure if that was the cause or not, but after server merged I made a new account just to see if this is a account based problem or if it's caused by a corrupt file on my computer. I came to the conclusion that this is an online/database thing as my other account had no problem whatsoever, yet this account does. I saw people on Reddit that say that they opened their accounts on different computers and they still had this bug.

Also, from my experience, your friends see you online all the time even if you are offline. If you add new people they show up and stay on your list until you exit the game then it emptied again. if you try to re-add your friends, you can't bcs they are already your friends. 

Just wanted to bring that to your attention, just in case.

• NCSOFT

Thank you @code1068,

12 hours ago, code1068 said:

@Baskerville I had this problem since the server merge, i am unsure if that was the cause or not, but after server merged I made a new account just to see if this is a account based problem or if it's caused by a corrupt file on my computer. I came to the conclusion that this is an online/database thing as my other account had no problem whatsoever, yet this account does. I saw people on Reddit that say that they opened their accounts on different computers and they still had this bug.

Also, from my experience, your friends see you online all the time even if you are offline. If you add new people they show up and stay on your list until you exit the game then it emptied again. if you try to re-add your friends, you can't bcs they are already your friends. 

Just wanted to bring that to your attention, just in case.

It is indeed an issue with the database we are still investigating. We were able to put more pressure behind the investigation thanks to everyone's help here. As this is still in progress we currently can't provide an update quite yet, but from what I have seen, we are going into the right direction to find a solution, which, and that's totally fair to say, long overdue.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...