Why are the options for hongmoon cosmetics so limited?

Battery Butt

Given how large the selection of hongmoon outfits that have been release, why is there always so few available in F10? Maybe more outfits could rotate more often(weekly?), or even have all the non-holiday outfits available year round.  There's 544 hongmoon store cosmetics with only 40 available (43 with the current rotation) and most of these have been in the store for quite a while. It would be nice to have access to more than 10% of the cosmetics available in game. Might motivate players to spend more money. Just my opinion, feel free to leave your thoughts. 

Because they keep using two-week rotation, and it takes them a very long time for their outfits to even return.

Usually, it takes 6 months to a year for a non-themed outfit to return. For seasonal or themed outfits (like swimsuits, Valentine...), they always return after a year..

The reason is simple: they want to create the feeling "if I don't buy this now, I won't see it again for a very long time", thus goading players to spend real money on Ncoin, or grind gold to sell to Ncoin buyers to get Hmcoin to buy said outfits.

Also, they want to space out the outfit rotations so that they won't run out of outfit selections in a long run, in order to make the selection look fresh new. Ironically, they now have run out of ideas: there are barely new outfits that are released through F10 and only returned and discounted ones, cuz they want to stuff them into RNG Boxes/Troves/One-year membership where players will spend bigger on, and still have to add some to events to motivate players to play their game.

The outfits that are available year-round are also rarely changed. I remember NCWest opted out year-round rotations for like... two times? Then it seems they completely lose interest to even manage that section.

So yeah, the F10 cosmetic section is now very boring, cuz NCWest keeps trying to monetize things in every possible way, without caring about consequences.

55 minutes ago, Kozuki said:

Because they keep using two-week rotation, and it takes them a very long time for their outfits to even return.

Usually, it takes 6 months to a year for a non-themed outfit to return. For seasonal or themed outfits (like swimsuits, Valentine...), they always return after a year..

Not true -- they aren't rotating old stuff out.  Many of the same outfits have been there continuously for over a year and a half.  As for themed outfits -- some *may* return, but that's far from a certainty (from someone whose been keeping track of what's available for well over a year).

The two-week rotation is a flop. It's a bad idea and borderline anti-customer. As I've said many times, the entire reason my MMO dedicated irl friends skipped and to this day still avoid BnS is because of that damn two week idea. It just pushes costume enthusiasts away who don't want to wait 9 months for something they like to come out for 3 seconds and then disappear again before they can remember to get it, or even worse, tell them "oh you can have this costume if you just sit and play the slots, sweetie :)"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

In a former post, I posted old KR costumes that we never got. If you'd like to see those click my name and find that post idk it was like last week. For now though, I'll post new costumes that have not yet reached our region, since why not, we're talking about costumes already anyway. Maybe this'll inspire new rotation ideas idk.

And so here they are, beginning with Costume Contest Winners from around the world:

MXsiZYP.jpg

PcbyKV8.png

And then originals (I believe):

OnyEAYQ.jpg

Z1fm87C.jpg

np4sUA6.jpg

Note that the Maritime Patrol (?) was changed to dyeable, so this also means that they're looking into going back and making past costumes customizable as well. For the costume winners, not they are not all done. The top one is Russia's which was just finished. NA/EU's last costume contest winner is still in the works as well, I remember one of the CMs here saying it still had a little while to go. but yeah. So, these are the things we just havent gotten here yet.

• Like 1

Some outfits are now only obtainable by spending designer threads at the costume vendor standing in a few towns. Those may not show up in F10 because of this. BUT, designer threads themselves are so rare I have never ever obtained one myself. I think they come from a very scant few outfits from events/trove, but I'm not sure.

As for what's on F10, they only rotate 3or 4 outfits in a regular basis. The rest have been in the shop for a very long time. I'd say they could keep the current 3-4 outfit regular rotation, but also add a big full shop rotation at least once a year. This game has a LOT of outfits. Some that make no sense to keep limited (like the NPC ones), while others should of course stay limited.

Anyway, other than  what's for sale, at least this game has farmable outfits from dungeons/achievements, and that's always a good thing. Right now, a relatively new character can get pretty much everything the Zaiwei achievement vendor has for sale.

5 hours ago, Showta said:

The two-week rotation is a flop. It's a bad idea and borderline anti-customer. As I've said many times, the entire reason my MMO dedicated irl friends skipped and to this day still avoid BnS is because of that damn two week idea. It just pushes costume enthusiasts away who don't want to wait 9 months for something they like to come out for 3 seconds and then disappear again before they can remember to get it, or even worse, tell them "oh you can have this costume if you just sit and play the slots, sweetie :)"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

In a former post, I posted old KR costumes that we never got. If you'd like to see those click my name and find that post idk it was like last week. For now though, I'll post new costumes that have not yet reached our region, since why not, we're talking about costumes already anyway. Maybe this'll inspire new rotation ideas idk.

And so here they are, beginning with Costume Contest Winners from around the world:

MXsiZYP.jpg

PcbyKV8.png

And then originals (I believe):

OnyEAYQ.jpg

Z1fm87C.jpg

np4sUA6.jpg

Note that the Maritime Patrol (?) was changed to dyeable, so this also means that they're looking into going back and making past costumes customizable as well. For the costume winners, not they are not all done. The top one is Russia's which was just finished. NA/EU's last costume contest winner is still in the works as well, I remember one of the CMs here saying it still had a little while to go. but yeah. So, these are the things we just havent gotten here yet.

Wow those all look great hopefully we could see some of those, and not in RNG boxes.

You have to keep in mind that not all costumes KR gets can be released in NA/EU. That being said dont expect all costumes KR gets to be available for us aswell.

On the topic of designer thread: that is only available whenever there is a RNG costume box event. Why? Because the costumes you can get for them were primarily released only in those RNG costume boxes. They didnt want to make them available in F10 or by other means as that would heavily upset those who got the boxes for those costumes, so they were added with the rng boxes in the clothing merchants. dont expect thyose to show up anywhere else besides rng boxes / trove.

Now the rotation itself....i dont think a 2 week rotation is bad. Every game has some fixed costumes which are available always and a few that rotate. they could however increase the rotating outfits from 4 (i think its 4 currently) to 6 or 8, but still keep it 2 weeks.

Wrote something long and thoughtful, then deleted it all; BnS isnt a good enough game to rely only on it's gameplay, the server(s) are trash, they don't even have esports anymore, raiding is pointless, and gear doesnt give you anything but acne, sleep deprivation, and carpel tunnel from parse spamming to show each other who can be better at consistently causing nerve damage to their fingers for a higher score than anyone else. Alright. So, if they were smart, they'd push cosmetics more. and they'd do it in a way that more people could access more frequently. Alright, 2 costumes once every 2 weeks is pathetic. Having almost 2 year old stuff in F10 and not being bothered to update it is pathetic. The fact that 2D games from 10 years ago can easily keep large inventories of digital costumes up for sale and still keep afloat to this very day while BnS is acting like it's on it's deathbed with a fraction of a fraction of it's wardrobe up for sale is just mindblowing. It's a level of stupidity that even on my worst day even I couldnt achieve. They're a Mercedes lot that stocks 2 Kia's and then sheepishly reports to HQ their abysmal numbers like they don't know what's going wrong. Alright. Because no one can tell me they're making bank. Not with these servers they can't. But they'll find spare change to pay off some random twitch streamers to play for 20 minutes though, where the streamer will do everything in their power to bite their tongue and not complain about how bad the game is running. Yeah that's a good idea. That's a great idea. That's how they'll get more people to spend money on their game.

Also we'll probably get most of those costumes shown. If we're lucky though we'll skip the neon and purple ones but who knows people love all kinds of things.

• Like 2

Oh, but Showto, they can't do anything that makes sense, or there will be someone who will be upset at them, and we know from the poster above you that they won't do anything that will upset the prima donna's.  *blech*.    You can't keep people, here, from finding out about all the neat stuff other areas have.  You don't think it is depressing to be shut out?  I've already pointed out that there need to be ways to distribute stuff for the masses -- not just elites...and if elites get upset...they'll get over it.  There's no way you are going to convince me that the only reason they compete is to be able to some pretty dress while excluding everyone else.  That's just ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure that being #1 is more important to them than what frilly dress they get as some exclusive prize.  Even if the guys do have some cool outfit -- the women won't get it -- how many times have I seen a dapper top coat and hat that turns into a fluffy dress with non-descript hair style?  Such a rip most of the time!!...  Like Alice?  outfit for women sucked -- but a woman could have looked way sexy in that top coat and hat, but no, they push women to marginal positions with marginal designs.  Alice was a girl's story -- and you make it into a reward for boys.  Cute.  Just like most other games, women get 2nd class options.  You want to give women the option to have the dress, fine... but also let them choose.  I dunno how many people saw the movie "Flash Dance", but Jennifer Beal, wore a very hot top coat with sexy cuffs...   She looked much better than they guy she was out with.

9 hours ago, Grimoir said:

1. You have to keep in mind that not all costumes KR gets can be released in NA/EU. That being said dont expect all costumes KR gets to be available for us aswell.

2. On the topic of designer thread: that is only available whenever there is a RNG costume box event. Why? Because the costumes you can get for them were primarily released only in those RNG costume boxes. They didnt want to make them available in F10 or by other means as that would heavily upset those who got the boxes for those costumes, so they were added with the rng boxes in the clothing merchants. dont expect thyose to show up anywhere else besides rng boxes / trove.

3. Now the rotation itself....i dont think a 2 week rotation is bad. Every game has some fixed costumes which are available always and a few that rotate. they could however increase the rotating outfits from 4 (i think its 4 currently) to 6 or 8, but still keep it 2 weeks.

1. I fail to see why we shouldn't get all KR costumes. NC holds the copyrights over the ingame costume models, so legally there's nothing that restricts them from releasing their own stuff here. As for what appropriate and what isn't, that's up for the individual to decide. I don't remember ever delegating the authority of my tastes to anybody else;

2. Glad to see NC is so devoted to their rng obsessed customers that they'd refuse the cash I'd give them for a direct purchase. And here I thought honest, upfront and customer pleasing corporations don't exist. Now if they'd only warn people about their gig's aim from the get go, that would be great;

3. Considering how many outfits are there, I'd say that even 12 every other week wouldn't be enough, not to mention that it leaves certain standalone adorments and hairstyles out of the loop;

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MassiveEgo said:

1. I fail to see why we shouldn't get all KR costumes. NC holds the copyrights over the ingame costume models, so legally there's nothing that restricts them from releasing their own stuff here. As for what appropriate and what isn't, that's up for the individual to decide. I don't remember ever delegating the authority of my tastes to anybody else;

On this one, the only outfits that would be excluded would be any coop ones. Some companies do coop sales and some of them restrict the sale area to fit only the guest company's sales area. For example, if there's some Korea only cartoon/anime/show that wants to coop with BnS and sell their themed outfits in the game, it would be most likely that those outfits will be Korea region only. Other than that, you are correct. The in-house made stuff is theirs to do what they please, and I'd assume availability falls to corporate decisions about culture or they simply wanting to please their primary (Korean) customers with an exclusive nobody else can have.

7 hours ago, Hanuku said:

On this one, the only outfits that would be excluded would be any coop ones. Some companies do coop sales and some of them restrict the sale area to fit only the guest company's sales area. For example, if there's some Korea only cartoon/anime/show that wants to coop with BnS and sell their themed outfits in the game, it would be most likely that those outfits will be Korea region only. Other than that, you are correct. The in-house made stuff is theirs to do what they please, and I'd assume availability falls to corporate decisions about culture or they simply wanting to please their primary (Korean) customers with an exclusive nobody else can have.

Those costumes, like Hello Kitty costume, make up a tiny portion of the costumes KR gets. What do we get? Endless recolors, re-issues of event costumes, and stuff many don't want.

Edited by KlausFlouride

On 4/23/2019 at 11:08 PM, Grimoir said:

Why? Because the costumes you can get for them were primarily released only in those RNG costume boxes. They didnt want to make them available in F10 or by other means as that would heavily upset those who got the boxes for those costumes, so they were added with the rng boxes in the clothing merchants. dont expect thyose to show up anywhere else besides rng boxes / trove.

You read too much into your assertions:  Should have said:

Because the costumes you can get for them were primarily released only in those RNG costume boxes at that time. They didnt want to make them available in F10 or by other means as that would  hurt trove sales.  However keeping them off the market would heavily upset those who weren't able to get the outfit at that time -- and there are alot more of them than those who did, so if they are concerned about upsetting people who got the boxes at that time, they'd even be more concerned about those upset at no longer being able to get past items. "....

The only way they can fund the game in the future is by enticing new customers to buy those items.  They are ripe assets waiting to be released that will cost the company zero in development.  Many of those who got the costume then aren't even around anymore -- but for those that got it then and thinks it was some sort of exclusive license, remind them that they got to wear they items first.

Why would you think market conditions in blade and soul would be different than real life.  Some people may get exclusive outfits as prizes or expensive trove boxes.  That's called "the bleeding edge" -- you pay extra for getting this first -- but in the real world you never expect that it won't be available later at a lower price to the masses.  Such an expectation would be incredibly naive as it's now how the economy functions.  A few get items on the leading edge, but they get to be heralds of the new fashion or new technology.  But the only reason they goto to be first was to build a market among the masses -- the rest of us.  

Prizes and trove contents, like all new tech, are not meant to be put away in a closet and never used again.  That would be financially irresponsible.  You get multiple uses out of your assets -- first releasing them as rare items, but that's to build interest and demand among the rest of the audience.  The point is to release all of those items to anyone who wants them and is willing to pay -- maybe in the first wave, a higher price, in the 2nd, a moderate price, and in subsequent waves, the item may go on sale to make sure everyone who wants a copy of the item or tech-toy is able to buy one.  Thus you maximize income / development dollar spent in developing new items.

Only by maximizing income for assets by successive releases so you obtain full value of your R&D investment.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:35 AM, Astarae said:

Why would you think market conditions in blade and soul would be different than real life.  Some people may get exclusive outfits as prizes or expensive trove boxes.  That's called "the bleeding edge" -- you pay extra for getting this first -- but in the real world you never expect that it won't be available later at a lower price to the masses.  Such an expectation would be incredibly naive as it's now how the economy functions.  A few get items on the leading edge, but they get to be heralds of the new fashion or new technology.  But the only reason they goto to be first was to build a market among the masses -- the rest of us. 

I agree with this. The automotive industry is a shining example of this. Rear view cameras, touch screen panels, LEDs, several ride quality and performance options under the hood... AIR CONDITIONING!. Those were all reserved for the expensive models before they were spread through the economy models years later.

Now sure, bns cosmetics is a slightly different thing, but some of these same rules can be applied. I does not mean everyone should be able to easily pick a past rare outfit from F10. But if at least you can grab a new RNG outfit you don't like and just swap it 1:1 with a past outfit you liked, I don't think anybody would be hurt by that. The stuff is still being kept rather rare. You are just given the option to keep this one or grab that one. 1 to 1. The current designer thread box may give a hope for that, but from what I have gathered on the subject,  it also comes with diminishing returns if you don't get what you wanted from it, meaning, you can get a new rare outfit, make it into threads, get a designer thread box and end up with something that looks the same as something from F10, or worse (First Step anyone?). Then you dismantle it and get less threads than you poured in, leaving you empty handed. And that is definitely not nice.

So many outfits.

Sad to say, but I won't even live long enough to see most of these rotated into the store because that happens so slowly.

I don't know if the effort and time I put into this game is worth it in the long run if the items I want will never be available to me.

• Like 1