Server Consolidation — May 1

Baskerville

It could also be that they got a new server and/or faster routing equipment that has the capacity to host more people for less long-term cost.

Another possibility is that server merges will free up equipment for an upcoming game or a Blade and Soul alternate rule set server, like progression, which seems so popular recently.

I joined BnS despite my misgivings over closing CoX because I absolutely adore Hyung Tae Kim's artwork. Also, I fell in love with my KFM; so here I am, *again* talking about a game I adore by NCSoft that doesn't listen to its customers when they suggest real improvements (ping issues, player-run events, more GM involvement, engine updates, more tools for players to be part of the game design experience - from character customization to creating quests or missions) and probably won't last because of it. What made The Elder Scrolls and Fallout so successful were the players taking up the mantle of GM and providing added content and customization. This works for MMORPGs too!

[content moderated by Amraith] I will try to repeat it with more kindly words, basically, french / german players playing on they fr/de servers is because they can't speak english, merging them with us will only give the playerbase of Jinsoyun server a big amount of [content moderated by Amraith] people who can't communicate properly with us, making a horrible experience for both sides. I think they should leave those servers alone.

Since I just recently started playing this game about a month ago, I created two characters on the North American servers.  One on each server to be exact.  Does this server unification mean that I will now have both characters on this one server, or does the lowest level character "get the boot" so to speak?

• NCSOFT

Hi all,

On 24/04/2019 at 11:59 PM, BlisteredArse said:

Since I just recently started playing this game about a month ago, I created two characters on the North American servers.  One on each server to be exact.  Does this server unification mean that I will now have both characters on this one server, or does the lowest level character "get the boot" so to speak?

Yes, @BlisteredArse, this means life or death for your characters. There can only be one — The Highlander.

... Of course, I was just kidding, you will keep both of them :)

On 13/04/2019 at 11:44 PM, Kyline said:

Since we are having a server consolidation, I just wanna know if there are any plans to release in-game names (non founders) who are not active for a long time.:HongWhat: 

Unfortunately, there are no plans for releasing these names at this point in time.

On 24/04/2019 at 7:16 PM, pingal1ty said:

[content moderated by Amraith] I will try to repeat it with more kindly words, basically, french / german players playing on they fr/de servers is because they can't speak english, merging them with us will only give the playerbase of Jinsoyun server a big amount of [content moderated by Amraith] people who can't communicate properly with us, making a horrible experience for both sides. I think they should leave those servers alone.

We are aware that there are a lot of concerns about the language barrier, which is why we are currently working with the development team on a few options to address this issue, including some options that had been suggested by the player base. At this point, we are discussing the extent to which it is technically possible to implement these options within a reasonable time, which is why we can not go into more detail at this stage.

On 15/4/2019 at 1:39 AM, Grimoir said:

it doesn't necessarily mean nc is doing something wrong.

A game like bns is not appealing to most players since its a grind focused game.

This 2 sentences are contradictory, let's argue a bit about game design and payment models,

1) free to win : shop offers only cosmetic items and everyone has exactly the same chance to be competitive as there is no skill or damage that can be bought with money, an example of this would be a game like osu! or more recently Apex Legends

2) free to play : Everybody can play, however throwing money to the game gives you an advantage in some way, example of this would be league of legends, where you can pay and get all the champion pool, which is obviously an advantage as you can know every champ, test them and get a solid knowledge about the ins and outs of every champ.

3) pay to win : not necessarily means you need to pay to keep playing the game, don't get it wrong, its not like if you don't pay you can't play the next level, that's not the only definitiion of pay 2 win, there's another which is when you need to throw money to actually keep playing the game without being left behind, which is the case of BnS, it takes us f2p players months, even years to catch up to latest gear, then sadly you see some people with a giant wallet do throw 1k-2k euros and get everything then just enjoy the game, you can't deny a fact on this, there are leaderboards that gives weekly and season rewards, therefore if you look at them, there's always on top the most geared and skilled people, but needs both things, gear and skill, you can be really skilled but if you don't have the gear you won't claim the #1 spot when gear is involved, the only exception is the 1v1 and tag match arenas because they are not gear based but only skill based. So basically 1% of the player base can compete, the other 99% can only dream about it because they will never ever have the gear needed to enter said competition.

Now about game model, I can basically differentiate 2 of them here:

1) the actual model aka lazy model, lets release a content and make the player play it 2000 times to grind for upgrades

2) the good/decent model which is hire a team of artists, designers and coders who work hard to release constantly new cosmetics and contents for the game, making the game rewarding enough to gear up at a fast rate and incentivating the player to buy in their shop because their character, weapon, pet, etc is going to look awesome.

Personally I prefere the second model, where I might buy something from the game if I am enjoying it, right now I'm not enjoying the grind model but as there is no other option if I want to play this awesome game I am forced to do it, and like me I guess there is a ton of people out here.

2 hours ago, Baskerville said:

We are aware that there are a lot of concerns about the language barrier, which is why we are currently working with the development team on a few options to address this issue, including some options that had been suggested by the player base. At this point, we are discussing the extent to which it is technically possible to implement these options within a reasonable time, which is why we can not go into more detail at this stage.

Well if they can have they're own "general" "say" and "faction" chats where they don't flood us with two languages 90% of us don't know, would be awesome, however I had this experience in other MMO and they actually merged but then they split back again because it was not working, so if you want to listen to it actually, without mentioning the game name for the non-propaganda reasons, I can tell you it is a big MMO that competes directly with BnS and its also Korean based. So they had the idea to merge not the servers but the dungeon queues, before EN servers do queue with EN servers, FR servers with only FR servers and DE servers with only DE servers, they changed it to everybody can queue with everybody and then communicating while doing dungeons was such a bad experience because said users can't speak english and they don't understand even basic words. So lets put the example, I have to do Brood Chamber dungeon, we are 2 english people, 2 german and 2 french, and we have to agree who does what role, how am I supposed to tell them if they can't understand? Merging the server sounds like a good idea to unify raids, ok understood that part, however I don't want in my raid to have people with com issues and most raids are not even made in game, they are done through discord, so the leftovers who can't go in discord and get a raid are the ones who actually will go together and have the most horrible experience, believe me that you guys aren't doing them a favour by merging with us, instead the company could invest some money into marketing, 43 milion dolar PROFIT from public financial reports at ncsoft website that can be consulted by any user online should suffice to do couple well done advertisements in both french and german to attract more playerbase to their servers instead of using already existing players and force us to get merged with them, I'm not racist, homophobic neither I have anything against this people, I just think the same about my own people here in Spain that can't comunicate in english, they will isolate themselves in communities that only talk that language, therefore limiting themselves to access a bigger pool of players and opportunities to have fun with the game, its sad in 2019 people can't still speak english and the social issues this generates.

Edited by pingal1ty

If this merge is for raiding purpose it will serve no purpose for EU, NA might get something out of this but we wont. It will be french people in one corner germans in one and the rest of us in the last corner. We cant raid with frenchies because we dont speak the same language so they bring us nothing. Some germans might be able to mingle with the english speakers but many of them tend to stick with their own too. So no this wont help us find raids any better. This is just an excuse, the real reason is you cant afford to keep the servers running or the playerbase on each server is too low.

Edited by Misaki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baskerville said:

Unfortunately, there are no plans for releasing these names at this point in time.

We are aware that there are a lot of concerns about the language barrier, which is why we are currently working with the development team on a few options to address this issue, including some options that had been suggested by the player base.

Let's start making those plans then!

Blade and Soul has always been very cramped in terms of how it lets it's players communicate.

We don't get buddy chat channels, we don't get global chat channels, we can't make our own chat channels, and we're only allowed to write one and a half sentences at a time.

The argument against this has always been "well, spam bots"

Well, you've had 3 years to get rid of spam bots. Did you? Did it work yet? And how much longer is a failure on NCWest's part supposed to effect the entire playerbase? You're telling me until the game dies we're still never going to be allowed to say more than a sentence at a time? We're still never going to have friend channels? We're still going to be punished for things we're in not in control of? But in other games they have no issues with this, they still have plenty of chat channels and chat space, and these games have even bigger populations than BnS. I understand spam bots are annoying and there's no way to truly get rid of them all, and that's why you do things anyway despite them. It doesnt make sense that players are robbed of normal functions all because of boogeyman bots for all eternity. I could understand it the first year, but after that it was just sheer lazyness. The very bare minimum least you could do is throw in a few more chat channels and increase the text input limit in maybe one of them or something-we're not typing in Asian language, so we need that space. and we need ways to talk to added friends/certain groups/everyone.

I shouldnt have to keep tabbing out into discord to talk to friends who arent in my guild/faction.

I have to leave the game to talk to friends I make in the game, do you realize how entirely backwards that is? lol

It's bad enough our friendlists have been broken since the games release-we can't even tell who's on half the time...we can't tell who's on and we can't talk to them unless we whisper one on one..this is like..ancient communication tier. At this point we might as well be gifted carrier pigeons to talk to each other. So they can end up in F10 for 20ncoin each or something lmao zzzzzz

• Like 1

One thing i am curious about tho..
Say i have 11 characters(which is the current max amount) on Zulia and i have some characters on Yura, what would then happen to the character after merge, since it would go over the max amount of characters slots?

5 minutes ago, Onirique said:

Greetings Rieze,

Right now, the game already limits the number of character on one account by 11 per region. So even with the merge, this will remain the same.

Hope that answered your question :)

Yeah, guess that makes sense since you choose server at character creation, and not before.

Edited by Rieze

On 4/26/2019 at 11:56 PM, Onirique said:

Greetings Rieze,

Right now, the game already limits the number of character on one account by 11 per region. So even with the merge, this will remain the same.

Hope that answered your question :)

@Onirique

Can we expect the game to run smoothly after server merge? as more people in 1 server, did you make sure that we don't get outrageous lag and unreasonable much higher ping? 

• Like 1

I just hope that this new server change hold the current Hongstore Store Outfit rotation, cuz without any advise the Currency Exchange was totally unavailable. I wasnt specting this problem at this time, i tought that i could finally get the Strickly Business outfit. 

On 4/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Baskerville said:

So what did you do about it?

as expected, faction chat is getting chaotic and filled with xenophobia and insults . 

some people block anyone who doesnt speak their preferred language, others block these guys who want to define their language as the only language... (that just means we need more space on the blocklist) 

many people dont notice, that there are some interesting statistics to this topic: 

according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#Knowledge, german is the most widely spoken first language (first 18%, total 38%) in eu. english is understood by half of the people (first 13%, total 51%). 

so english should be the main language of the game, but german and french (first 12%, total 26%) should not be forbidden. 

suggestion from many people: make a faction chat for these 3 languages with english as the main faction chat. whoever can understand any of these languages can enable the corresponding chat channels and disable the others.

@Immunity The sheer fact that they merged Fr and De into Jinsoyun is more than enough of a hint which servers were on the brink of death. We were multi lingual from the get go. Obviously, I blocked tons of people who kept spamming into languages I don't understand, nor care to learn. The only thing that's changed is that now I need a bigger pool to block the newly coming people who'll be writing gibberish. I won't play with them as there's no reason to do so in a MMO game where communication and cooperation are paramount. Either they speak something I can read, or they go into the block list, it's that simple.

@MassiveEgo its sad that you think the earth is spinning around you.

Blade and Soul is played by many people with different ages, that means somepeople came out of school and are trained with english but many arent. Thats the reason why people there  safer in use the language they are good with to talk with the community. 

Just a hint for you then you cant read the language ask for using a Language you can read. But be friendly this Community is filled with toxic People like you and i hate it because this game makes fun and i like it to play.

Edited by Lurane

22 minutes ago, Lurane said:

@MassiveEgo its sad that you think the earth is spinning around you.

Blade and Soul is played by many people with different ages, that means somepeople came out of school and are trained with english but many arent. Thats the reason why people there  safer in use the language they are good with to talk with the community. 

Just a hint for you then you cant read the language ask for using a Language you can read. But be friendly this Community is filled with toxic People like you and i hate it because this game makes fun and i like it to play.

Game is rated M17+. Meaning you should expect communication skills of *at least* a 17-year old. 3rd year of highschool in most cases, should be plenty capable of speaking coherent lingua franca. Being unable or worse - refusing to do so indicates that *those* people think the world is spinning around *them*. Not vice versa as you said.

• Like 1

@Lurane I fail to see what your problem is. I stated what my requirements for other people are. At least communication. English isn't my native language. If I spoke and wrote in my own tongue, 20-50 people would undestand me tops. Maybe I should do that and expect things to somehow work out in the game? 9000 IQ logic there;

If they speak some language that is understood only by them, their kin and a select few who studied it as their secondary or third language, the rest of the community will not understand them. I am part of the rest of the community and I have a problem having a FACTION chat clogged up by stuff which makes no sense to me. It's one chat that can show only like 20 lines at any given time. I'm not going to scroll up and excavage what interest me and I did not have this problem prior to merge. Give me solutions instead of this condescending high ground morally superior dissing. And make it one that works. I'm here to play and enjoy the game not to "suck it up" and put up with annoyances.

If you make it a solution that works for everybody else as well, that would be great.

Edited by MassiveEgo

ok i see i don't need any screenshots of xenophobic ingame conversations, they continue here despite knowing the numbers.

so again for you:

51% of eu can speak english and 49% can't.

32% of eu can speak german and 68% can't.

26% of eu can speak french and 74% can't.

so you are lucky to be in the half of people who can understand english, but not lucky enough to be in the third german or quarter french. 

but you expect everyone to act according to your desires?

as long as there is only one faction chat, that one will be used for any language.

so lets say your native language was one of the more common ones in eu and even had their own server. 

then after the merge someone in faction chat asks something in your native language, you just block him?

or if someone who is able to speak english answers a non-english question in that same language?

So for the sake of the example, if I'm french and someone write in french, I block him? Why would I? I understand what he's writing just fine in that scenario. Now if he's to write some english or deutsch gibberish, yes I will filter him out.

I'm not favoring one language group here. Fench can make little sense to english and german speakers as much as deutsch and french don't make sense for me, personally. It goes both ways with the chat clogging. Some people might be able to work with a multi lingual feed, but I'm not one of them (note that I said some, not most. I asked around).