Sign in to follow this  
The Shadower

Improving my specs to make game smooth on Ultra

Recommended Posts

What's going on guys? I'd like your opinion on what I can improve on my pc (if at all) in order to run BnS smoother. I run the game on fairly high graphics settings but the fps drops alot in crowded areas or with many mobs, if I set settings to Ultra then fps flactuates between 20 to 60 fps too often so I never set to Ultra.
Another thing that bothers me is everytime I start a 1v1 Arena match, just as the battle starts there's a slight delay (about a second and a half) where I see the START on the screen but my pc hasn't loaded the map yet so I can't actually see anything. This gives my opponents a head start and I can't stop rushes. I wanna know if there's anything I can do about it. 

Here are the specs:
Intelcore i5 2300 CPU 2.8GHZ
8GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1050
Windows 10 64-bits.

 

What do you think? Is there anything I can improve to make the game run smooth on Ultra and load arena matches faster?
Greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks :)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junamaki   

Upgrade the cpu and aim for 16 gb ram. If you can then also push for a gtx 1060 but the main priority is to upgrade the cpu. As far as loading times, get an ssd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Junamaki said:

Upgrade the cpu and aim for 16 gb ram. If you can then also push for a gtx 1060 but the main priority is to upgrade the cpu. As far as loading times, get an ssd.

I have a gtx 1060 3gb and it's pegged out when the graphics setting at medium at 30 fps in raids. You need not just a beast of a cpu, you also need something like a gtx 1080 ti or a rtx 2080 for high / ultra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cpu heavy game.  Even if you don't touch your gpu, if you overclock your cpu even just a bit it makes a large difference.  Ebay is your friend when it comes to inexpensive cpu's.  Throw a xeon in there and oc the thing to 4+ GHz.  You'll see a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deadly Intent said:

Cpu heavy game.  Even if you don't touch your gpu, if you overclock your cpu even just a bit it makes a large difference.  Ebay is your friend when it comes to inexpensive cpu's.  Throw a xeon in there and oc the thing to 4+ GHz.  You'll see a huge difference.

Why xeon? You want fast single core performance, Xeons are slower per core compared to core i series. Unreal engine 3 doesn't use more than 2 cores (threads). one for physics, one for everything else.

 

And GPU does make a difference, his gtx 1050 is choking to even run the game at medium. It doesn't make sense to have a monster CPU and a dinky old GPU, You are just changing where the bottle neck is.

Edited by Racingwind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   
10 hours ago, Racingwind said:

I have a gtx 1060 3gb and it's pegged out when the graphics setting at medium at 30 fps in raids. You need not just a beast of a cpu, you also need something like a gtx 1080 ti or a rtx 2080 for high / ultra.

BS.

I7-8700k

2080 ti

32 gB ram

Win 10 64 bit

SSDs only.

 

On max settings GPU usage max 50%. In raids and heavily populated areas fps 20-40. BnS has pis poor optimization and your hardware won't change that.

You can improve your performance but there is a limit to it as the game simply doesn't even bother to fully utilize the resources available.

Edited by pakjs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pakjs said:

BS.

I7-8700k

2080 ti

32 gB ram

Win 10 64 bit

SSDs only.

 

On max settings GPU usage max 50%. In raids and heavily populated areas fps 20-40. BnS has pis poor optimization and your hardware won't change that.

You can improve your performance but there is a limit to it as the game simply doesn't even bother to fully utilize the resources available.

There are people who can get higher than that with a gtx 1080 ti. So don't know what's happening with your system.

 

Not sure what the BS is for, like my gtx 1060 pegged out? or me getting 30 fps on medium during raid? Or that I said you can play at high / ultra with reasonable fps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   

That you need 1080 ti or 2080 to play on ultra.

As i stated, BnS uses max 50% of my gpu, i'm pretty sure it doesn't have 100% gpu usage on 1080 ti or 2080.

 

I'm well aware that you can get better fps, you just have to play around with settings till you get satisfactory fps in raids and heavily populated areas. But that is no longer Ultra/max settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fiana   



try this, i've similiar pc setup like you, and i always play this game on ultra, all option checked, above 70 fps all the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   

The link is much appreciated, thank you very much!

Edited by pakjs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gpu can get pegged when you've properly configured it like the video that was linked. And when I said people are playing on high / ultra with over 60 fps, I mean exactly that. I don't mean they lower their settings, they have everything maxed, it's possible, you need to configure things properly though, and hardware wise needs to have everything lined up properly in terms of cpu / gpu combination.

 

Oh and also I said that my gpu, which is only a 1060, gets pegged, doesn't mean a 1080 ti gets pegged out. But you do need that caliber of gpu to get decent fps at max settings.

Edited by Racingwind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   
5 minutes ago, Racingwind said:

The gpu can get pegged when you've properly configured it like the video that was linked. And when I said people are playing on high / ultra with over 60 fps, I mean exactly that. I don't mean they lower their settings, they have everything maxed, it's possible, you need to configure things properly though, and hardware wise needs to have everything lined up properly in terms of cpu / gpu combination.

Will try the link after work. And if the GPU usage will get anywhere close to 100%, i'll apologise for calling BS on your statement and call you even my grandpa!

 Aside from that, judging from my own experience, GPU wise you should be able to max out BnS with 1070, worst case 1080. 1060 should do very well, in your case the problem should 3 gB of vram, the 6 gB vram version does a lot better in games. 

My only beef was 1080 ti/2080 for high/ultra. I see no issue with the rest of your statements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pakjs said:

Will try the link after work. And if the GPU usage will get anywhere close to 100%, i'll apologise for calling BS on your statement and call you even my grandpa!

 Aside from that, judging from my own experience, GPU wise you should be able to max out BnS with 1070, worst case 1080. 1060 should do very well, in your case the problem should 3 gB of vram, the 6 gB vram version does a lot better in games. 

My only beef was 1080 ti/2080 for high/ultra. I see no issue with the rest of your statements.

Actually, I just realized that we didn't define what resolution we're talking about, because that's important! 1080p res, 1070 ti should get decent frames, around 65 or so, depending on your cpu. To get higher than that in raids will need 1080 ti (no point for a 1080 cuz 1070 ti OC is about that grade). 1080p is probably what you are thinking of. I on the other hand, forgot that I run 1440p monitor, so my requirements on gpu will be higher, doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   
26 minutes ago, Racingwind said:

Actually, I just realized that we didn't define what resolution we're talking about, because that's important! 1080p res, 1070 ti should get decent frames, around 65 or so, depending on your cpu. To get higher than that in raids will need 1080 ti (no point for a 1080 cuz 1070 ti OC is about that grade). 1080p is probably what you are thinking of. I on the other hand, forgot that I run 1440p monitor, so my requirements on gpu will be higher, doh!

Mine is also 1440p :)

But yeah, leaving resolution out of the conversation was unprofessional from both of our sides. It's a major factor in gaming performance.

Edited by pakjs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you all so much for your help!

I will try doing what the video linked here says and tell you my results.

I kinda got mixed opinions though, I am looking to inprove my specs but now I'm not sure of I should get a better GPU, SSD,CPU or more RAM. I can't get them all 😆

What would have the most impact on performance?

Edited by The Shadower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   

To give some feedback to OP.

 

Your upgrade paths are rather tricky.

The expensive ways:

Get a current-ish gen CPU with ~4 GHz, but in that case you also have to change your motherboard and RAM.

But going this way, you should pretty much consider a new PC.

 

Cheep way, but somewhat bothersome way:

Your motherboard should support 2nd and 3rd gen i3/i5/i7 CPUs (but make sure your bios is updated), so scourge your available resources for used i7-2700k/i7-3770k (while i doubt you have a OC motherboard, the K CPUs have a little higher base frequency, it should help a bit over the non-K versions).

You shouldn't have to change RAM.

 

GPU wise, as long as you play in 1080p, i would recommend upgrading to at least 1060 6gB.

The market should still be flooded with used 1060 cards from the crypto mining craze, so you should be able to find used one cheaply.

 

RAM wise, you should be okay with 8 gB of ram. 16 gB is recommended new days, but 8 gB is bearable.

Edited by pakjs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   
12 minutes ago, The Shadower said:

Wow, thank you all so much for your help!

I will try doing what the video linked here says and tell you my results.

I kinda got mixed opinions though, I am looking to inprove my specs but now I'm not sure of I should get a better GPU, SSD,CPU or more RAM. I can't get them all 😆

What would have the most impact on performance?

CPU+GPU would give you the most gain. SSDs only impact your loading times, not your fps.

But make sure you get an adequate CPU cooler, else you will have a bad time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: tried what the video says and it maybe helped a tiny bit. Not Much difference. Anyway, I have OC my GPU a bit and it did help. I'm content with the performance. The only thing that bothers me is the delay in arena when the match starts, it loads 1sec later even if I turn down graphics all the way to lowest. Would getting a SSD solve this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   
1 hour ago, The Shadower said:

Update: tried what the video says and it maybe helped a tiny bit. Not Much difference. Anyway, I have OC my GPU a bit and it did help. I'm content with the performance. The only thing that bothers me is the delay in arena when the match starts, it loads 1sec later even if I turn down graphics all the way to lowest. Would getting a SSD solve this issue?

It most probably will, but it isn't guaranteed. It only will only help if the issue is caused due to slow read speed from hdd. If it's a different cause... For example, it could also be CPU, i have even seen my 8700k spike to 100% usage during BnS loading screen, that's the only time i have seen my CPU at 100% (except for stress test).

 

@Racingwind

You no grandpa of mine! The video helped considerably, at Mushins Tower and Jadestone Village i sometimes drop to low 50s for short moments, but mostly it's above 60 in those areas. GPU usage 45-55%, vram usage a bit bellow 2 gB at max settings 1440p. So 3 gB of vram isn't limiting BnS, i was wrong about that.

 

But my estimation stands. 1070 is enough to max BnS at 1440p (as long as the other hardware parts are appropriate) and play at the same fps as 2080 ti. Reason being that if you google 1070 vs 2080 ti, you will see that 2080 ti is only ~100% faster than 1070. So, while the math is rather ruf, the general point is that 1070 at 100% = 2080 ti at 50%.

The necessity of 1080ti/2080 to play BnS at max settings on 1440p is BS.

 

P.S

Can provide screens with my gpu usage, if necessary.

Edited by pakjs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tracking my CPU usage in arena and it's never above 50%. GPU is not maxed either. Ping is around 120ms. Yet still black screen for 1.5 sec after start of the match. I suppose it's reading speed issue. Would I have to install my OS on the SSD or can I just install BnS and other games on it to enjoy the benefits?

Edited by The Shadower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   

Outside of loading screens my cpu usage stays at something like 25%. I'm talking about the loading screen itself, i sometimes get 100% during loading screen, so your case might be related to CPU.

 

It's not necessary to install OS on your SSD, but your OS would work a lot faster if it was installed there.

FYI, try to keep 20-30% of your SSD free for longevity. The fuller they are for prolonged periods of time, the faster they die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pakjs said:

@Racingwind

You no grandpa of mine! The video helped considerably, at Mushins Tower and Jadestone Village i sometimes drop to low 50s for short moments, but mostly it's above 60 in those areas. GPU usage 45-55%, vram usage a bit bellow 2 gB at max settings 1440p. So 3 gB of vram isn't limiting BnS, i was wrong about that.

Have you tried in a full party raid? Which was my focal point, which I didn't specify, doh! Performance drops in raid from what I can tell. When I'm not in a raid, even on my dinky little 1060 I can do around 65~75 fps. But in raids, like VT hive queen for example, it goes down to like 25~35, making me a very sad panda. Something about being in a raid really chunks it out, but it seems to be ok on those weekly raids / msp. As to why, I have no clue. The optimization is all over the place.

 

But I am curious as to what numbers you got, it's interesting to see maths. I can get some numbers for ya after I get back tonight, I have a VT raid so I can get some hive queen numbers too.

 

And I don't wanna be a grandpa.. I'm old, but not that old. :shy:

Edited by Racingwind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SalemK   

No matter what gpu you have you will not be getting good fps in raids with everything maxed out. I have a 1080 ti and have to turn off characters to get decent fps or lower settings. The game just doesn’t have good optimization, hopefully ue4 will fix it or atleast make it a bit better. A 1060 is actually really decent for this game, a beast pc is definitely not needed. The focus should be on the cpu if we’re talking strictly bns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pakjs   

I don't do raids often, but i did BT yesterday, the method provided in video didn't improve much in that area, was getting mostly 30-40 fps, might have jumped to 45, but i didn't pay that much attention to it at that moment, simply disabled other characters instinctively with Ctrl F and went on with the raid.

 

Those 60+ are only in heavily populated areas.

In dungeons, less populated areas and raids with disabled characters i get constant 120 fps with the same gpu(45-55%)/cpu(20-30%) usage as in heavily populated areas.

I still have to test Koldrak. Previously my fps dropped below 60 there even with other characters disabled there.

In any case, the glaring issue with BnS is that available resource usage doesn't rise when fps drops. Though i can't guarantee that the cause isn't with RTX series themselves, after all they are rather fresh. We would need someone with 1080 ti to confirm that for him/her the gpu also sins't fully utilized.

 

All of the above was at max settings, 1440p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimoir   
On 2/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, pakjs said:

BS.

I7-8700k

2080 ti

32 gB ram

Win 10 64 bit

SSDs only.

 

On max settings GPU usage max 50%. In raids and heavily populated areas fps 20-40. BnS has pis poor optimization and your hardware won't change that.

You can improve your performance but there is a limit to it as the game simply doesn't even bother to fully utilize the resources available.

I have the same CPU as you, ram , ssd, just a worse video card, and i never drop under 60-70 fps in populated areas ....not even raids LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this