Account locked for using a vpn

SkyStorm

I guess I'm lucky I was able to get my account unlocked but I had to send NCSoft a year's worth of paypal transactions and wait 5 days because,  apparently they can't send an email notifying me of updates (except the one's telling me I haven't responded to the emails they never sent me).

Anyway, I was left with a warning - use a vpn or Pingzapper, or WTFast, or whatever, and risk having you account locked again. If I were strictly a f2p player I probably wouldn't have got the lock removed.

On a side note, I shouldn't have to use a vpn but my ping doubled about 6 months ago. I'm only 300 miles from the servers in Dallas (which is an extremely bad location- you can't get through the miasma of routers without 10-20 hops).

I tried using WTFast, and it lowered my ping from 280 to stable 150-170ish, the second day i tried to use it, whenever i used the miami server route, after i started the game, the input boxes for your login which require you 6 numbers/symbols would not appear/load, no matter how many times i launched the game. After i changed to another server route it worked just fine but it was less than ideal.

NC has weird ways of dealing with this issues. And the worse part is that bots already killed this game 1 year after launch and if they wanted they could circumvent all lame defenses they  set up. Meanwhile those players who aren´t actually doing anything wrong get affected or even banned

10 hours ago, benkeia said:

I tried using WTFast, and it lowered my ping from 280 to stable 150-170ish, the second day i tried to use it, whenever i used the miami server route, after i started the game, the input boxes for your login which require you 6 numbers/symbols would not appear/load, no matter how many times i launched the game. After i changed to another server route it worked just fine but it was less than ideal.

NC has weird ways of dealing with this issues. And the worse part is that bots already killed this game 1 year after launch and if they wanted they could circumvent all lame defenses they  set up. Meanwhile those players who aren´t actually doing anything wrong get affected or even banned

if the company sees a lot of inapropriated activity for the same ip range over and over its perfectly logical to ban it. the difference is, actual players can appeal the ban and play, bots wont get free.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, Grimoir said:

the difference is, actual players can appeal the ban

Appealing the ban/lock is a real pain in the butt and you're treated like a criminal in the process, guilty until you prove you're innocent. Locking an account doesn't just affect the game, you also can't access customer support, the forums, or your transaction history. Plus, security based upon IP address is fundamentally flawed and has been since TCP/IP was invented forty+ years ago. The PIN that you have to enter after logging on should be sufficient if it's properly encrypted on the wire. As an extra layer of security, SMS can be used to verify the logon attempt.

I've played a lot of online games before and BNS is the only one that I've encountered that uses an ancient and flawed IP address model. There's a limited number of TCPIPv4 addresses available which means address sharing is only going to get worse. Sure, there's TCPIPv6 addresses, but the backbone of the internet still uses the older addressing scheme and it's not going to change any time soon.

Archived