Suggestion: Add mouse 4+5 to keybinds (and/or other mouse keys as well)

Sol

Hey,

At the suggestion of the support team, I am placing a possible suggestion for future improvement of blade and soul here. :)

TL;DR: it would be awesome to be able to keybind mouse buttons to skills for greater player comfort, utility, and capability. If you can, please allow us to do so!

Long version is a follows:
Binding mouse buttons to keybinds has several useful benefits.
1) Player comfort of not having to contort left wrist to hit all the skills or perform certain dps rotations. Being able to place the harder to hit buttons in an ergonomic placement just off of the right thumb is simpler and more comfortable.
2) Player utility of being able to customize and personalize their own setup, and pick keys and button which suit them best and help them to perform better and enjoy themselves more.
3) Player capability of being able to perform better dps rotations, or reflex skills without having to move their hands around a lot.

4) Hopefully, a simple fix! Not sure how it's coded, but hopefully all it needs is just to add mouse 4/5/etc. to allowable keybinds.

Thank you so much for your consideration!
I'm open to adding any other suggestions if the community has more to add :)

--Sol

12 hours ago, Sol said:

Hey,

At the suggestion of the support team, I am placing a possible suggestion for future improvement of blade and soul here. :)

TL;DR: it would be awesome to be able to keybind mouse buttons to skills for greater player comfort, utility, and capability. If you can, please allow us to do so!

Long version is a follows:
Binding mouse buttons to keybinds has several useful benefits.
1) Player comfort of not having to contort left wrist to hit all the skills or perform certain dps rotations. Being able to place the harder to hit buttons in an ergonomic placement just off of the right thumb is simpler and more comfortable.
2) Player utility of being able to customize and personalize their own setup, and pick keys and button which suit them best and help them to perform better and enjoy themselves more.
3) Player capability of being able to perform better dps rotations, or reflex skills without having to move their hands around a lot.

4) Hopefully, a simple fix! Not sure how it's coded, but hopefully all it needs is just to add mouse 4/5/etc. to allowable keybinds.

Thank you so much for your consideration!
I'm open to adding any other suggestions if the community has more to add :)

--Sol

get a proper gaming mouse like this (razer naga)

You can bind all buttons to what ever you want with the Synapse App, (the side buttons are basically your num Block)

https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImage/26-153-064-06.jpg

i have 7 of the thumb buttons in use, you can also create macros with the synapse app if you want. 

45 minutes ago, Grimoir said:

even better idea: remove simple mode completely and teach people actual real rotations that making it a brainded 1 button spam.

Your idea is moot.

There are people who know their rotations already, but their class requires more effort than others, e.g. lightning bd vs lightning sin

Depending on your class, doing rotations for hours on end in raids like VT & TT (especially for progression) becomes cancer on your keyboard, mouse & hands.

#inb4changeclasseslol

On 11/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, SkyStorm said:

In-game support would be ideal, but I don't think Hell's scheduled to freeze over anytime soon. In the meanwhile,  you can get a programmable mouse for $20 or less, or use autohotkey to map the mouse buttons to keys.

You and the next poster miss the point.  You can bind mouse buttons to ???  WHAT?  How do you specify in the config dialogs that 'middle mouse' button should be used for something?  Or  mouse-4 or mouse5?  you can't.  Goto the mouse config page...try to specify what activates something other than LMB or RMB....it won't take the options...

That's the point -- the config dialog has to allow the other inputs -- doesn't matter if you map those buttons to middle mouse button or a keypress -- if you can't enter MMB or the key in the config dialog, then you can't use it.

1 hour ago, Astarae said:

You and the next poster miss the point.  You can bind mouse buttons to ???  WHAT?  How do you specify in the config dialogs that 'middle mouse' button should be used for something?  Or  mouse-4 or mouse5?  you can't.  Goto the mouse config page...try to specify what activates something other than LMB or RMB....it won't take the options...

That's the point -- the config dialog has to allow the other inputs -- doesn't matter if you map those buttons to middle mouse button or a keypress -- if you can't enter MMB or the key in the config dialog, then you can't use it.

You can bind an ability to Num5 in the game menu for example, and the set a mouse button to be Num5, it is a work around basically.

But of course it would be more convenient if the game would let you bind buttons in the first place, don't know why so many game developers don' do that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 2:14 AM, Arohk said:

You can bind an ability to Num5 in the game menu for example, and the set a mouse button to be Num5, it is a work around basically.

But not a good one...it's too close to '4' and is a valuable top-row key.  You already have a hand on that row+key -- better to use 5 for a longer reach key that comes after a 2, 3 or 4, like TAB for gunner or V for WL (24v,33334v), etc.    the point of adding MMB, MB4, MB5...MBxx is that your mouse hand is already on the mouse.  You want it to be more useful than just having 2 keys to press.  One might argue that not every mouse has a 4th or more key, but on the PC, I'd say nearly ALL have a MMB.  So really, the limitation comes from the game being designed for the least usable type -- a 2-button mouse.  

Most of the interfaces in this game are designed to slow down typing and play-ability.  How many PC user complained when MS asked "are you sure"y/n" after almost every interface in Windows XP and below?  It's because it is a bad interface.  Instead, they added option to turn on asking, and added "undo" where they could.  Like selling items or purchasing items.  Why do I need to press minimum of 2 keys for a single purchase, or to open existing stock, w/more than one item, select, <move> select #, select again, or even w/1 item, select item, select retrieve, then pick yes or no.  Or open item, select item, move to action, select action, move to confirm, select confirm.  If it is 1 item, you can press y/n, but if it is more than 1 item, you CAN'T press y/n, but can press enter to take the default.  But you can't take a default if it is only 1 item, only 'y' or 'n' will do.

The only thing that is really 'undoable' are transactions between players -- because a local 'undo' would undo someone else's transaction (the person you purchased from/sold to).  But any items moved from/to an npc source (store, storage, ground), either already are undoable or could be made undoable (meaning unsell item from a store, drop item on ground, or put an item back into storage).  Or inconsistency of applying upgrades or some effect to an equipped item.  Most of the time you have to unequip item (then why not auto-unequip?), but some upgrades, dont' require this...like add a used SS-seg to an unused one -- need to unequip SS-seg to complete.  But add unused SS-seg to existing -- don't have to unequip.  Could argue that the 1st would leave you without all SS-segs equipped -- why?  if a merge of 2 SS-segs results in 1 being unequipped, put the new SS-seg in the same slot.  

Game lacks common PC-accelerator keys because - it wasn't developed for a PC market, things like <tab> moving between fields, or control-C+control-V to copy+paste.  All those things are automatic if game is developed using common PC libraries, but none were.  Auto-forwarding of ports+sockets through an encrypted port (like a proxy)...all automatic using PC-libs -- wouldn't need to program for a proxy, that's handled automatically if you use the right PClibs (despite FFox having its own proxy interface cuz it was first),  Opera and Google browsers just use the OS proxy settings.  

So does BnS for some things -- but it's schizoid -- using system settings (and automatically using proxy) for some things, but requiring direct access for others.  If they used common interfaces for both, everything would work.  Same for improving game performance -- if they didn't go out of their way to block performance tools & metrics, people could improve performance, but that's blocked all for PvP... fine... then require IGNCODE for PvP stuff but not for main game.  In PvP where they monitor most heavily is where people have most disconnects + crashes...because of the igncode/wellbia monitoring code being more active.  

The game is slowest when you load new areas -- screen goes back and/or you get a static transition page and little tidbits of advice -- none of which should be necessary -- if the material was already decompressed and sitting in memory or on an SSD.  The game make poor use of cpu's, graphics support, even memory!.  I can play BnS for hours, and wandering around -- all those areas would be read off of disk (SSD).  If they cached areas, then going back and forth between 2 areas, should involve no wait -- because it would already be uncompressed in memory.

I have 96G on my computer with less than 16G used.  BnS refuses to use items out of cache and wastes 80G of memory -- while prohibiting various programs from running at the same time for supposed 'security reasons'  (bull).  Whether they prohibit them from running or not, they should use free memory as a cache when it is available.  The compressed form of the game could be stored entirely in memory (not the most efficient use), as it takes less than 40G.  So anyone with over 40-50G of *free* memory could run never touching disk.  Uncompressed...can't say, but I bet the movies(cutscenes) and audio take a large portion... so don't cache the movies/videos...just the statically stored material.  

If they want to attract the PC market -- USE the PC -- don't just deliver a console game to the PC market.  People will notice  the games are designed for memory-tight, slow processor, slower graphics consoles -- because they are unnecessarily slow and ill adapted to PC peripherals (kbd+mouse).  At least  consoles are keeping up in screen-res+size w/PC's ... though that's not true for the handheld market.   I don't see portables ever including 4K displays by default...

10 hours ago, Astarae said:

But not a good one...it's too close to '4' and is a valuable top-row key.

5 is a top-row key. Num5 is not. I've got 13 buttons on my mouse and use 9 of them - the others I use for polling speed and mouse sensitivity. It's not hard to map the buttons to keys that aren't often used.

Bns doesn't have or need any type of proxy requirements so I don't know where that's coming from. As far as memory, 96G is pointless and a waste of money unless you're processing graphics/videos. 

tldr; on the rest.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, SkyStorm said:

Bns doesn't have or need any type of proxy requirements so I don't know where that's coming from.

It does: "Proxy requirements:" "have no proxy".

It doesn't work if you have to go through a proxy even though all of its connections are TCP and could be forwarded through the proxy.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, SkyStorm said:

As far as memory, 96G is pointless and a waste of money unless you're processing graphics/videos. 

Having a PC is pointless unless you use it for something other than games.  

If one has a PC, it can be used, not only, to run graphics and video processing (have had

96G because images I was editing needed it -- 4 years ago;  if I go for higher resolution ones, I might need more).  But besides running video's on a 2nd screen at the same time as playing most games, the extra memory can be used for caching.   If you are only thinking about playing games, why bother with a PC?  You may also have multiple games running at the same time and just switch between them, since startup time on some games is too slow.

So if you are saying PC's aren't likely to have 48G or more, then I'd say you probably don't need a PC.  If you need a PC w/o PC features, why not just use a game console?  The PC would be pointless and a waste of money.

Archived