Bring back side quests and early-game weapon upgrade system

DesmondWyght

I stepped away from the game for a good while, kind of had to because I didn't have a computer that could handle it. I was very disappointed when I came back to find that a lot of the side quests, which I enjoyed a bit more than the main questline in some cases, were gone. What happened? Why did they disappear? They were good for immersing yourself more in the world of the game, and gave you more of an excuse to explore certain spots that you just ignore otherwise. If the devs are worried about people getting severely over-leveled...just reduce the experience rewards to compensate? It's that easy, you know. You don't have to cave in to peer pressure from players who just don't appreciate the hard work that went into making the game stories, side-stories, and unique content. It's the same trap that WoW fell into that started slowly killing the game, as it did with many other games.

As for the weapon upgrade system, I again reference my "unique content" comment. I LIKED having a weapon that grew and evolved with me from the get-go, it gave me reason to keep it around, gave me reason to hold onto the garbage weapons so I could use them to improve my own. Why take THAT out? Were people complaining because they had to grind numerous times through certain dungeons to get the evolution piece they needed to get to the next stage? Just ignore them and bring back the amazing upgrade system! Please? I'm tired of seeing games brought low by peer pressure from the minority within its community, and ruining things for the rest of its playerbase. That's why games lose their more dedicated players who were actually capable of appreciating the hard work and effort that went into making the game the way it SHOULD be.

Please, Devs, for the sake of your game's true fans, at least restore the side quests and weapon upgrade system?

• Like 3

And before anyone starts saying that the super-casuals who complain about the game and end up being the reason things get changed DO appreciate the hard work...no, they don't. If they appreciated the hard work put into the game, they wouldn't be complaining to the point of getting good things changed or taken out just so that THEY can enjoy the game more, and ruining the game for everyone else.

If the side quests don't interest you, just don't do them. If you don't like the look of your weapon, well that's why they put in the ability to change the look of your weapon without affecting its stats.

I'll still play the game, I won't let things like this stop me, but it still infuriates me when developers of such good games as this give in to meaningless peer pressure and try to "streamline" the game, and end up taking away from some of the things that make the game great to begin with.

Edited by DesmondWyght
  • Like 3

Aside from the stated reason for the side-quest removal, it's far more likely it had to do with $$$$$ than anything else.   Simple put, people running greatly outdated content are not swiping their plastic.  And the faster they get to higher levels the faster they are likely to.  BnS NA/EU revenue was down in q1 https://massivelyop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ncsoft1.jpg and it doesn't take an economics degree to follow what's probably going to happen to address it.  Minimize, economize, nothing to see here quickly on your way Cricket.  

As for the weapon, the Hongmoon one was nice but it's big brother, the Baleful/Seraph weapon took it's place.  You still have to evolve it just like you had to the Hongmoon one.  And frankly, the old weapon was the epitome of grinding and rng.  We get enough of that at endgame.  And again the previous reason comes into play regarding people stuck in outdated content grinding for upgrade mats when they could be at a much higher level swiping for endgame mats.    

Edited by Deadly Intent

I think that's the biggest problem with game publishers these days. They are so focused on profit that they aren't thinking about keeping the game enjoyable for existing players. I dunno, maybe I'm just wishing too hard for the ideal world where good games can keep running without having to minimize and economize, and not have to cut content just to speed players along. If players didn't want to play the "outdated content", they could just speed along through the main story, and leave the side quests for the people who actually cared about immersing themselves in the world. I'm one of those people who loves to explore and learn, see the lore first-hand in games. I can understand the frustration with grinding and RNG (trust me, it's FAR worse in games like Elite Dangerous), and while I can accept that they changed that around, I still think that taking away the immersion takes away from the experience. If they're going to economize, would it really kill a publisher to find some middleground that doesn't alienate the players who still care about the world of the game? Because that's what minimizing does, it pushes away the players who joined the game to get lost in its world.

I understand that it's important to make money, to keep that cash flowing in. Believe me, I definitely understand. But I'm sure it would be possible to find some balance between the two. Or maybe I'm just being a bit too idealistic.

if they revert, the new players would be the ones suffering the most from it.
And you can always just switch to non-raid weapon.
As for the side-quests the lore definately went missing, but for the 10-20players, the amount of data is just not worth.
At this point next to everyone skips them too and i welcome any effort to reduce the spagetthi code we have by any amount.

I must be the only one who goes out of their way to try to find every side quest I can so that I can learn as much about the world as possible, then. As far as reverting, they don't have to revert the weapon reinforcement, just bring back the side quests with slightly more meaningful rewards.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that the extra data would still be worth keeping. Ah well, as I said earlier, I'll still play the game, I'll just be sad that I don't get to learn as much as I would have been able to in the past. Shame. It's a beautiful world, and the lore was amazing, too. Now all we've got is the same clichéd "Chosen One" storyline with very little other meaningful content to offer a break when it's needed.

Edited by DesmondWyght

No comment about upgradeable weapons but I would like to see side quests brought back. +1

But we all know they'll do whatever brings in the most money and I think those of us who actually enjoyed the side quests are the minority. Sucks because the early game just feels monotonous and like a chore.

Edited by A1gundam
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was imensely disappointment when I realized they had deleted all the side quests to the point that I refuse to play until they bring it back. It really sucks the fun out of the story and makes it impossible for me to enjoy playing. Until they bring back the side quests I'll be looking at other games.

• Like 1

Leveling a new Character through the entire story and raid pre-quests takes about two days if you're fast and skip all the cutscenes/dialogue.

If you would require to upgrade your weapon all through the game it would take 2-3 weeks probably, because there are now more classes, increasignt he RNG of getting your class weapon.

I recently leveled a gunner and was stuck for one or two hours at the Gold Deva lucky wheel to get the Dragon-Horn to progress the purple quest, there were also about 10 other people killing it.

Now imagine you need to do this in every region to get a RNG quest item, i remember running some of the lower blue dungeons over 30 times while leveling until i got my sword to breakthrough my weapon.

Really, that is not fun and wont work because the leveling zones are empty compared to a new start of a game.

9 hours ago, Arohk said:

I recently leveled a gunner and was stuck for one or two hours at the Gold Deva lucky wheel to get the Dragon-Horn to progress the purple quest, there were also about 10 other people killing it.

Just buy it from the marketplace man...

10 hours ago, Arohk said:

Leveling a new Character through the entire story and raid pre-quests takes about two days if you're fast and skip all the cutscenes/dialogue.

There's a lvl voucher everyone can buy, who wants to have a shortcut.

If you would require to upgrade your weapon all through the game it would take 2-3 weeks probably, because there are now more classes, increasignt he RNG of getting your class weapon.

That's why those weapons/chests should be tradable, like many other things that hide behind rng.

The whole point of a mmo is, that you won't have to achieve everything for yourself. 4g and you won't have to spin that wheel.

Now imagine you need to do this in every region to get a RNG quest item, i remember running some of the lower blue dungeons over 30 times while leveling until i got my sword to breakthrough my weapon.

Well, it sounds like the bigger problem was the rng and not the upgrade system itself.

Lucky for me I still have all my old accessories on all my chars that I still upgrade to this day, and a bunch of moonwater stones. Bad part is most of them can no longer upgrade their gear because of the flippin mushin tower revamp. KR nc removed (for NO reason) the acc that drop from each boss. I asked our devs if after this mushin event months back if the drops would come back.

No

It was kr's choice.

Edited by Cathy

@Cathy Take a look at the Merchant Kangcha. She has all the accessories from the early stages.

Back to topic: Bringing back the old upgrade system wouldn't be as time consuming as it was back then. We now can buy the brilliant keys for the lower reagions. So one would only need to run the dungeon once. Also I think it was quite fun that your gear levels up with your character and gets stronger as well.

On 5.1.2020 at 1:56 PM, Uldrum said:

Just buy it from the marketplace man...

I know i can do that, but i decided not to.

also if you're at this point in the game you have 1-2 gold and these things cost at least 4 or 5 gold or more so a new player can not just buy them.

Am 27.10.2018 um 01:37 schrieb DesmondWyght:

What happened? Why did they disappear? If the devs are worried about people getting severely over-leveled...just reduce the experience rewards to compensate? It's that easy, you know.

This had exactly nothing to do with people getting overleveled and everything to do with people not spending time on the milking machine. Hush hush get to endgame and buy your gear, what are you waiting for? Actually consuming fun and balanced content? No. We cant have that.

7 hours ago, Shekinah said:

@Cathy Take a look at the Merchant Kangcha. She has all the accessories from the early stages.

Back to topic: Bringing back the old upgrade system wouldn't be as time consuming as it was back then. We now can buy the brilliant keys for the lower reagions. So one would only need to run the dungeon once. Also I think it was quite fun that your gear levels up with your character and gets stronger as well.

Pretty sure they told me the same thing and if I recall she did not. I'll check later.

Edited by Cathy

I fully agree with bringing back all the side quests.  They add a flavor and depth to the game.  The sad part is the devs and people making the decisions really don't care about the community, they only care about doing what every other MMO does, holding your hand until you reach level cap, then throwing you into a community that you really have never been a part of.  At what point does a new player learn to work with the others in a team/party to get joint attacks and combos down now days ?   I learned back starting with BRN and those lessons continued all the way up to the end game dungeons and raids.   Now, no one cares that you have just soloed the entire game and are now fully expected to start queueing up for Dungeons and raids with Zero Experience working with a group that are, more often than not, quite judgmental and at times, down right hostile.  The real reason I have found most new players don't stick with the game is that they get bored being pushed as hard as possible to the end game Dungeons and raids.  They never get a feel for the game, a feeling for the game itself and worst of all, once they get into a few hateful parties, they feel isolated and alone.  Who is going to pay to play anything that makes them feel bad.  I am just different, I really don't care what anyone thinks about me because odds are, they are nothing like what they are trying to portray online to begin with.   But in this age of easily hurt feelings and sensitivity, most really will never make it to the end of the story arc to start with.   This is the real reason I have found, most leave the game and go on to other games that make them happy to play.   The early dungeons and all the side quests really added depth to the game and allowed players a chance to meet other players and get a feel for group combat.  If they just get "run" though a dungeon, the only thing they learned is that they will always be behind in the game and that's likely the worst possible thing they can feel, hopelessness.