Forums

Some Concerns About The Removal Of Side-quests.

Griffeyon

Hi!

I've been playing Blade And Soul for about two years now, And I've leveled many characters through out my time playing the game and I've seen it evolve into the game it is today. Blade and Soul has changed a bunch of things that have needed to be changed (like item evolution, skill changes and quality of life improvements)

I think a lot of people are happy about the removal of side quests, and at first I was too. The side quests weren't exactly tedious, though some were annoying, I feel like you were able to finish them on the way to the story quest just fine and it gave you more things to do. The removal of them makes progressing faster in the game due to them giving the story quests more exp and rewards. However, there's one HUGE issue to the removal of them. The world is now absolutely empty. There's monsters in the overworld for no reason and killing them gives you nothing. No exp, no money, nothing. It makes it feel like less of an MMO and makes me feel like this decision wasn't well thought out. Blade and Soul never felt like the side quests were meaningless and they flowed well together, gave good rewards and linked well with other side quests  unlike a lot of other MMO'S that throw quests in the world without realizing how they'll all flow together. Windstriding timers are now an issue too, I found myself having to windstride to a whole other area of the map to get to the next story quest but I had just windstrided there to complete the previous one so I have to sit there waiting two minuets.

I'm not exactly sure why they suddenly felt the need to remove them, I never felt like side quests were a problem or that the number of them was a huge issue. I understand that Blade and Soul is a lot about party dungeons and the combat system along with boss mechanics, but that's not till late game and the removal of side quests I think kills the new player experience. 

I feel like the removal of side quests has more negatives than positives. I'm hoping they do something to combat this, like giving the overworld monsters more exp or have them drop useful items and money, because otherwise they're just there. 

I was wondering if anyone knows why they were removed or if someone who works at ncsoft could provide an answer? I'd rather not email them, I feel like it's a waste of their time. 

Anyways, cheers.

• 1 month later...

I would guess they removed the side quests so people could get to the end game faster, since that's what most people want in an MMO.  Problem is players like me.  I actually don't enjoy the end game dungeons.  I play MMO's because I like the questing that leads up to the end game.  For players like that, removing the side quests sucked most of the joy out of the game.  Sad, because Blade & Soul is one of the best MMO I've ever played.  But without the side quests, I just don't know if it'll hold my attention.

I has a sad.

Unfortunately in this day age it seems many people seem to not understand what the true meaning of an M.M.O is and no 20mins to an hour on mobile or console does not really count I have seen so many other posts over many weeks and months couple of years and changes to suit the so many new players requirements that it is no longer the game it was on launch day.

So New Players of BnS please read and understand the true meaning of what this type game was,is and should always be. no rush no end game friends fun

Techopedia explains:- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG)

Unlike traditional console-based role-playing games where the overarching goal is to complete the game, MMORPGs depend on emergent game play based on the interactions of players and groups of players. Most MMORPGs still provide tasks and battles that get progressively harder, but the primary purpose of these is to help gamers build up their characters in terms of experience, abilities and wealth.

To keep the gaming experience evolving, MMORPGs allow players to form alliances, interact within the game, customize their avatars and even create some of the game content. Moreover, players who are not interested in entering dungeons and battles to build up their characters can still participate in the game by setting up shops in villages and cities to contribute to the authenticity of the game's world.

MMORPGs also have their own economies, where players can use the virtual currency they've earned in battles to buy items. This virtual economy has crossed over into the real world in some areas. For example, MMORPG players have exchanged real currency for items and virtual currency. In some instances, players seeking to level-up their characters more quickly have employed farmers - gamers who play as another person's character - who work to earn experience points for their employers while they are logged off.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself liked the side quests. I haven't been in the game for few months and just updated and got back in today/yesterday. I have to say, I was surprised to see all the quests that are now no longer there. To  me the side quests filled out the game and helped move the story along as they gave little bits to the main story. It seem to me that the game has been removed from the game. IE The soul of the game is no longer there. I am more for the story then the endgame and I log into what is now basically milk and cookies instead of a meal.  

We're never getting those sidequests back, are we

When it comes to being an MMO, they seem to do everything they can to stop it from being just that. An MMO.

Have said it a million times. What sets MMOs apart from other games is the fact that you can submerge yourself in them. The entire point of the genre is having a bunch of little tedious things to do that make you feel like you yourself are in the world and exploring it, making friends and great memories along the way.

When they "streamline" the entire leveling experience, they axe it from being an MMO. But then what is BnS if not an MMO? A fighting game? Not with the dc's and gear dependent fighting, Stevie Wonder could see that BnS isn't a fighting game.

Take out the story, put a price gate on 6v6, and make the servers so bad arena and raiding are major headaches and what's left?

You can't even roleplay because here we are almost 3 years later with them still refusing the raise the chat limit.

I want to have faith but its so hard. Like, I appreciate the current event, thats real cute right now. but in the long run, still a lot of troubling things is the issue. But hey, what do players know. I guess nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself in all the dungeons with same problem: people rushing through, not killing mobs.  They just want to grind and get over it and push you, and generates 3 things: people logging out (wanting for you to be almost a professional player that has no life or has credit card, therefore, a high end gear), people AFK on purpose to farm at the end without lifting a finger, or/and rushing so you get behind doing side quests or killing all the mobs that run into you.

i don't mind if they erase meaningless side quest like kill x number of monster

but i'll hate them if the side quest have proper story line on their own, like banshee girl in silverfrost side quest
and this is how they should make side quest "with proper story"

On 20.10.2018 г. at 9:21 AM, squirrely thoughts said:

I'm going to throw out my tin foil hat theory and say they got feedback about quest tracking causing stutters in the overworld and so they removed the quests instead of fixing the stuttering.

Same as the combat bug, that was an issue ever since the warlock patch :giggle: Instead of looking into their code and fix it, they did the laziest thing, made it so we can jump the portals even in combat

Sadly but the game is dead. Just an empty shell of what it once. making everything easier. Removing gathering. Too many soulbind items. Saving economy? No. Actually its the way to ruin it. Weapon you need cost 3000000 gold? Sell everything you don't need on market, sell valuable items who can earn you some nice gold, craft things without retarded mobile game limit of 12 hours crafting, farm valuable items and sell. Make the game to feel like MMORPG not MMAG (Massive multiplayer action game). Make the world alive. Going though empty zones is not fun. Also what about your promise? Huh? Evolving your weapon? Like it should be. Hongmoon weapon and jewelry. From level 1 . Or allow us to evolve any weapon. From green quality to orange aka legendary. Allow people to transform in example stalker sword into legendary one. Bring back side quests. removing them was most stupid thing ever. It just proves that you don't listen for smart people. That you prefer opinion of lazy idiot over smart people. dungeons having legendary mode would be fun. Imagine running all dungeons (even one with Pokey ) as level 55  very hard mode dungeon with few extra mechanics making fight more challenging. Normal mode should be made bit easier so fresh out of story group could complete any lv55 dungeon on normal mode. Even mystery theatre and ones to come. It would have same mechanics as hard but, they would be less punishing and boss would have like 50-60% less HP than hard mode, also they would have dragon blood pillars and allow to buy dragonblood for naryu silver. But those things will never happen. NC Soft are slaves for money. They only looks ways to milk more and more money..while truth is..want to earn more money? Then give quality..not this..trainwreck. Make game fun for new players too. Because in current state..new player reads about new cool dungeons added and wants to test them out. But as soon as player reaches lv55 they encounter huge problem..high gear requirements, terrible lag and very slow progress. For them being able to get into latest dungeon is mission impossible. Why? Because gearing up takes time. And dungeon gets nerfed to the ground faster than new player can gear up for it. So they get disappointed with game and leave. Sure, you can say: "We got money from him". That's true, but you see, players talks with friends about game. says how terrible it is, how buggy and how its unfriendly to new people, that basically only way to gear up to content while it's relevant is to feed it with your credit card. Friends lose all interest in game and tells others too. So one lost customer can convince bunch of others to not play. And that just makes to lose money. Have you ever wonderered..why world of wacraft is still alive as subscription based game..or FF XIV? Answer is simple. They are much better optimized, better quality games. Not trainwreck like this. people who play them see that it's worth buying game and paying monthly sub. 
I no longer play..just logging in to claim jackpot bonus.
This game is dead to me.
maybe I'll return once it becomes UE4 or act X comes out (spoiler alert: act X raises level cap to 60...but it's fast. I think first two or three chapters gives you needed exp from 55 to 60)

On 22/12/2018 at 6:57 PM, YunoGasaiYandere said:

Sadly but the game is dead. Just an empty shell of what it once. making everything easier. Removing gathering. Too many soulbind items. Saving economy? No. Actually its the way to ruin it. Weapon you need cost 3000000 gold? Sell everything you don't need on market, sell valuable items who can earn you some nice gold, craft things without retarded mobile game limit of 12 hours crafting, farm valuable items and sell. Make the game to feel like MMORPG not MMAG (Massive multiplayer action game). Make the world alive. Going though empty zones is not fun. Also what about your promise? Huh? Evolving your weapon? Like it should be. Hongmoon weapon and jewelry. From level 1 . Or allow us to evolve any weapon. From green quality to orange aka legendary. Allow people to transform in example stalker sword into legendary one. Bring back side quests. removing them was most stupid thing ever. It just proves that you don't listen for smart people. That you prefer opinion of lazy idiot over smart people. dungeons having legendary mode would be fun. Imagine running all dungeons (even one with Pokey ) as level 55  very hard mode dungeon with few extra mechanics making fight more challenging. Normal mode should be made bit easier so fresh out of story group could complete any lv55 dungeon on normal mode. Even mystery theatre and ones to come. It would have same mechanics as hard but, they would be less punishing and boss would have like 50-60% less HP than hard mode, also they would have dragon blood pillars and allow to buy dragonblood for naryu silver. But those things will never happen. NC Soft are slaves for money. They only looks ways to milk more and more money..while truth is..want to earn more money? Then give quality..not this..trainwreck. Make game fun for new players too. Because in current state..new player reads about new cool dungeons added and wants to test them out. But as soon as player reaches lv55 they encounter huge problem..high gear requirements, terrible lag and very slow progress. For them being able to get into latest dungeon is mission impossible. Why? Because gearing up takes time. And dungeon gets nerfed to the ground faster than new player can gear up for it. So they get disappointed with game and leave. Sure, you can say: "We got money from him". That's true, but you see, players talks with friends about game. says how terrible it is, how buggy and how its unfriendly to new people, that basically only way to gear up to content while it's relevant is to feed it with your credit card. Friends lose all interest in game and tells others too. So one lost customer can convince bunch of others to not play. And that just makes to lose money. Have you ever wonderered..why world of wacraft is still alive as subscription based game..or FF XIV? Answer is simple. They are much better optimized, better quality games. Not trainwreck like this. people who play them see that it's worth buying game and paying monthly sub. 
I no longer play..just logging in to claim jackpot bonus.
This game is dead to me.
maybe I'll return once it becomes UE4 or act X comes out (spoiler alert: act X raises level cap to 60...but it's fast. I think first two or three chapters gives you needed exp from 55 to 60)

tbh I have no idea why they made bound and non bound mats... that just made our storage more limited :/

7 hours ago, RavTH said:

tbh I have no idea why they made bound and non bound mats... that just made our storage more limited :/

Mostly to fight bots and players who make profit from a massive number of low-level crafting/gathering alts, as well as adding incentives to pvp where most of non-bound mats (a.k.a precious moonstones) comes from.

Also, bound mats make Trove become a proper gold sink. Your gold from buying bound mats just disappear into the void instead of allowing you gain some gold from selling them to the market.

8 hours ago, Kozuki said:

Mostly to fight bots and players who make profit from a massive number of low-level crafting/gathering alts, as well as adding incentives to pvp where most of non-bound mats (a.k.a precious moonstones) comes from.

Also, bound mats make Trove become a proper gold sink. Your gold from buying bound mats just disappear into the void instead of allowing you gain some gold from selling them to the market.

but trove gives non bound mats tho...
and that massive alt crafting was for I believe old crafting system
so the question is still here on why they give us this system...
and answer is cause to make another gear wall...

Archived