Forums

Little girl in the rain

Kittyaura

This entry does contain spoilers and stuff you my not want to know if you have not finished the latest chapter... and its going to ramble a bit.

...Up to this last update, I have really been enjoying the storyline of Blade and Soul. However, I have some strong opinions about this latest update. Here we have a group of children, who accompany my character to the Status Empire capitol, with many assurances from my character that I will keep them safe. Huh.

...I had a feeling that when the kids were taken to another area that that was a mistake, certainly nothing I personally would have allowed. Period. The kids stay with me.

...Many admittedly exciting battles later, the students of the Hongmoon School were wiped out again, and rather casually at that. And the player character stands by doing nothing as they die, just another observer. As a character in the game, one never really had the chance to bond with the original students, they were there to be wiped out along with Master Hong, to provide drama and purpose to the player character. The supposed inheritor of the Hongmoon Way. And, with the brief survival of Brother Hajoon and his teachings, it kept the spirit of the school alive for a brief time, and provided needed depth. Other meetings and visions added to that as well.

...However, this last update only brought about needless death, and in a rather callous fashion at that. Bunyang and Bunah, those happy go lucky grandkids die for no real reason, as does Jinbin. Now, I have to wonder why. Did the writers just get tired of these characters? Or, maybe they are just not good enough to write a proper Hongmoon School storyline anymore.

...Grandpa Cho has a brief consolation speech, but, we should have stood a few rounds together at the local bar and sent off their spirits properly. But, at least he reacted.

...How can the writers expect us to connect with characters and respect them if they themselves do not? You can't just kill everybody off. We are supposed to be rebuilding a martial arts school with a unique philosophy. May as well make them all "Killable Monsters" and we'll save them the trouble. Where are we supposed to find new students now? Who is left?

... Storywise,  ok, we had another attempt at a Divine Mandate, guess those will never stop.  Well, maybe Namsoyoo will make a decent Empress someday, if  the baddies leave her alone, that is. And the game to date, has been about redemption. (Jinsoyun) So, maybe there is hope for Ryu as well. But, how can we players trust you writers anymore? Its supposed to be about rebuilding the Hongmoon School, that was established very early on. But, who would want to be a Hongmoon Student now? They all die! And that whole ending of this chapter was rather rushed and clumsy, as if the writers themselves could hardly wait to be done with it. And there are not many pieces to pick up, either.

...And, what are we left with at the end? Just a poor little girl, all alone in the rain at Heaven's Reach. I have my character visit her daily, just cause. This chapter was a real letdown.

...Hey, if you're tired, hire me, I can't do any worse. And, I am up for the challenge of continuing the story of the Hongmoon Way.

I was never too close to the story because from the very start the player character (or PC for short) is shown pretty much as the weakest thing ever. PC makes bad decisions and doesn't act when really needed, having let so many people die for little or no reason, and that's when they are not face planted beneath the feet of the villain of the week. Sure, on the bright side, PC has eventually helped a bunch of people as well, so not everything is bad. But at least for the main story, PC's actions have pretty much helped Mushin all the way up to his current achievement. I suppose the finale will be the usual "and the hero eventually won" meta. But I'm not sure if it was the intention of the writers to have such a thing feeling so bittersweet but for all the wrong reasons.

I still haven't read the chapter texts for the current events (and I DO recommend you all to read them as they have a TON more info about what's going on behind the scenes), so my opinion could change a bit afterwards. But at least up to what I did read, my opinion on PC hasn't changed much. So I just try to simply enjoy the moments I'm controlling it, and facepalming at every new cut scene where he's being beaten to a pulp again or simply watching his friends die or some other thing no actual caring living person would allow to happen idly.

35 minutes ago, Fleurdelis said:

@Hanukucan you link us the chapter texs for the current events? Thanks :) 

Oh. All of it is in the game itself. Go to your quest journal and check the "completed" tab. Mind you, if you are easy on the tears, bring plenty of napkins. The written story is much better written than the cut scenes.

I am actually highly annoyed at the storyline for the first time. Sure, it has had better and weaker moments, but so far I was always eagerly looking forward to it. Not anymore. The political intrigue side in Act 9 was greatly enjoyable for me, same as  in all the Silverfrost update storyline. And I know the story is tragic, that it deals with power, compassion, guilt and redemption, that our character is an anti-hero that makes mistakes and is helpless many times, that all the stories intertwine and mirror each other... but they just took it too far. There was no need AT ALL to kill the children this way... were they encumbering the writers cause they didnt know what to do with them? I am sure many of us could have given some interesting ideas about how to develop the story further WITH them in it. And frankly, anti-hero or not, I need to feel a measure of respect for the character I am meant to represent... and his decisions and lack of initiative during this Act 9 are simply unreasonable, stupid and irresponsible in a way that makes me feel completly unconnected to him/her, to say the least. 

I dont know what the writers can do now to repair what they broke... and for what? They didn't need to do this to increase the impact of the story, it is excessive and unwanted. Bring all my children back, or I go on a strike.

3 hours ago, Rea Shinwa said:

I am actually highly annoyed at the storyline for the first time. Sure, it has had better and weaker moments, but so far I was always eagerly looking forward to it. Not anymore. The political intrigue side in Act 9 was greatly enjoyable for me, same as  in all the Silverfrost update storyline. And I know the story is tragic, that it deals with power, compassion, guilt and redemption, that our character is an anti-hero that makes mistakes and is helpless many times, that all the stories intertwine and mirror each other... but they just took it too far. There was no need AT ALL to kill the children this way... were they encumbering the writers cause they didnt know what to do with them? I am sure many of us could have given some interesting ideas about how to develop the story further WITH them in it. And frankly, anti-hero or not, I need to feel a measure of respect for the character I am meant to represent... and his decisions and lack of initiative during this Act 9 are simply unreasonable, stupid and irresponsible in a way that makes me feel completly unconnected to him/her, to say the least. 

I dont know what the writers can do now to repair what they broke... and for what? They didn't need to do this to increase the impact of the story, it is excessive and unwanted. Bring all my children back, or I go on a strike.

Yeah. I agree. Before, there was some death of characters not too connected to us the players (even though I wouldn't say wiping out Brightstone TWICE in the original story was something passable), but now it started touching a closer fiber and for no real reason at all, since the whole thing even failed to bring the impact I suppose the writers wanted to give, unless they simply didn't care and just wanted the kids permanently out. Sure, the written part (again, in the "completed" tab of the ques journal) does give a bit of further insight, but no matter what, the whole thing felt very unnecessary.

As I read the story again, I noted a few things. They touched more than once how PC did things for others without much question, and how he put himself in situations where he was left with no choice. Yes, this has been a flaw from the start of the game (and a recurring flaw on so many MMOs), but in this act you can read about the thoughts some characters have on it. Plus in this act, I still see no reason at all as to why PC brought the kids into something he himself told Yumna Fei was most likely a trap. I mean, I know he needed to stay not too far from Soyun because of her power and how the forces of evil were seemingly always haunting her, so going alone may have not been an option. But PC just needed to not go there at all in the first place, and maybe act later if the trap was sprung by the rest of the Talus entourage. But noooo, he needed to see Ryu with his own eyes, and that desire was much stronger than any sense of peril they may have had (Spiderman is disappointed at the lack of spider sense here).

Regardless, even if things still played the way they played (with the kids in the middle of another mess created by PC), the writers could have done so many other things to remove them from the picture if that was their desire. instead, they decide to kill them just when they stopped being annoying. I mean, if they just wanted to play the "war is cruel" card, they should have just remembered Brightstone.... twice.

..."Master! Master!"

...I looked up in shock. It was Jinsoyun, and not  only had she left her room, she was more animated than I had seen her in weeks.

..."What...?" I managed to stammer out before she grabbed my robe and began to drag me outside.

..."Its Master Hong! Come quickly, Master!" Confused, I allowed her to lead me outside. Dully, my mind registered that it had stopped raining. Huh...

...She brought me to the small shrine where we had said goodbye to my students, our family. There, to my surprise, stood Master Hong! I stopped in my tracks, tears filling my eyes...

..."What, no greeting for your old master, Cricket?" He smiled.

..."See, I told you Master!" Jinsoyun cried happily. "He's here!"

...Something in me broke, and I stumbled over and knelt before him. My hands trembled as they reached out to embrace his feet, and then they went right through him.

..."There was enough sadness in this world before you lost your friends, Cricket, but the pain you and Jinsoyun have experienced has opened the door enough for me to project my spirit here, for a brief time."

... I stood up, uncertain, but happy to see Master Hong again, no matter how he had managed it. Jinsoyun hugged me, and we held hands as our master spoke again.

..."Your friends were taken by the darkness, and only the light can bring them back." Master Hong looked at me, as I wiped the tears from my eyes. "The light you both bear within you."

..."What do you mean, master, they are dead." It hurt my heart to admit that, but, it was the truth.

..."That is what those who follow the Ebondrake would have you believe, Cricket." Beside me, I heard Jinsoyun gasp, and her hand suddenly gripped mine so tightly, it hurt.

..."What do you mean, master? Are they alive? How?" I managed to get out.

..."You were tricked into believing they had died, Cricket. Those were demons, with illusions cast upon then to assume the forms of your students. It was those creatures that Ryu killed. Your students are held prisoner. They are neither alive or dead, at this moment," Master Hong said. "Their spirits have been imprisoned in the very Heart of the Ebondrake, if such a creature could truly be said to have a heart. All I can tell you, is that such a place does exist, and that you and Jinsoyun together, can find it, and bring them back to the light, bring them home." Master Hong smiled gently. "Although the journey may cost you both dearly."

..."Master! We have to go! We have to!" Jinsoyun clutched my arm, her eyes pleading. "I'll do anything, pay any price!" Tears fell like rain from her eyes.

...I looked down at my remaining student, so young, but, no longer the innocent she had been before our family had been destroyed. There was a strength in her that had been lacking before, even when the darkness in her had been at its strongest. Somehow, she was stronger now than ever before. Seeing that, the strength of her resolve, of her love for those we had thought lost forever, there could be only one answer. I looked at Master Hong,

..."What do we have to do, Master?"

Let's just say bns story is this...
You have the power of all 8 masters...
you shine for few chapters as the strongest one of all...
random boobie girl smacks you down at front of your students...
you are still nothing more than a grasshopper/cricket...
in the end you find out more as you get betrayed...
you are still getting punched and have your get slauthered while you can do nothing...

you are weak, just like a grasshopper/cricket...

what did Lusung called you when you beat raven king?

HELLO, HRASSOPPER/CRICKET
You are still waht you started sadly, a weak insect trying to survive.

The story is just so bad... and looking at spoilers we are still gonna go through that despair in the next story line... Like... We will never have any upper hands at all wow.

10 hours ago, Kittyaura said:

..."Master! Master!"

...I looked up in shock. It was Jinsoyun, and not  only had she left her room, she was more animated than I had seen her in weeks.

..."What...?" I managed to stammer out before she grabbed my robe and began to drag me outside.

..."Its Master Hong! Come quickly, Master!" Confused, I allowed her to lead me outside. Dully, my mind registered that it had stopped raining. Huh...

...She brought me to the small shrine where we had said goodbye to my students, our family. There, to my surprise, stood Master Hong! I stopped in my tracks, tears filling my eyes...

..."What, no greeting for your old master, Cricket?" He smiled.

..."See, I told you Master!" Jinsoyun cried happily. "He's here!"

...Something in me broke, and I stumbled over and knelt before him. My hands trembled as they reached out to embrace his feet, and then they went right through him.

..."There was enough sadness in this world before you lost your friends, Cricket, but the pain you and Jinsoyun have experienced has opened the door enough for me to project my spirit here, for a brief time."

... I stood up, uncertain, but happy to see Master Hong again, no matter how he had managed it. Jinsoyun hugged me, and we held hands as our master spoke again.

..."Your friends were taken by the darkness, and only the light can bring them back." Master Hong looked at me, as I wiped the tears from my eyes. "The light you both bear within you."

..."What do you mean, master, they are dead." It hurt my heart to admit that, but, it was the truth.

..."That is what those who follow the Ebondrake would have you believe, Cricket." Beside me, I heard Jinsoyun gasp, and her hand suddenly gripped mine so tightly, it hurt.

..."What do you mean, master? Are they alive? How?" I managed to get out.

..."You were tricked into believing they had died, Cricket. Those were demons, with illusions cast upon then to assume the forms of your students. It was those creatures that Ryu killed. Your students are held prisoner. They are neither alive or dead, at this moment," Master Hong said. "Their spirits have been imprisoned in the very Heart of the Ebondrake, if such a creature could truly be said to have a heart. All I can tell you, is that such a place does exist, and that you and Jinsoyun together, can find it, and bring them back to the light, bring them home." Master Hong smiled gently. "Although the journey may cost you both dearly."

..."Master! We have to go! We have to!" Jinsoyun clutched my arm, her eyes pleading. "I'll do anything, pay any price!" Tears fell like rain from her eyes.

...I looked down at my remaining student, so young, but, no longer the innocent she had been before our family had been destroyed. There was a strength in her that had been lacking before, even when the darkness in her had been at its strongest. Somehow, she was stronger now than ever before. Seeing that, the strength of her resolve, of her love for those we had thought lost forever, there could be only one answer. I looked at Master Hong,

..."What do we have to do, Master?"

@LiinxyPlease get this translated to Korean and sent urgently to the developers! 

I'm just going to pretend Kittyaura's story is the next chapter in the game while I force myself to play through the current questline, because then at least I have a tiny shred of hope that my poor students aren't really dead .__.

That was beautifully done and you should be proud, Kittyaura D: Also, Liinxy, if you are reading this? Please, PLEASE forward this story to the developers ._.

@Kittyaura

Has there been any info at all on what comes next?

As for a story where the children are returned through shenanigans or deus ex machina, seeing how the makers of the game (aptly named BLOODLUST), made it clear they are not below killing children-like people and actual children in cruel and painful ways (Brightsone, Ilsim and Hajoon all come to mind), I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off little Soyun, Yunwa, every child saved from the flute spell, and maybe even each and every NPC you helped along the way just to slap the player on the face.

By now, I wouldn't be surprised if the next story reveals that Ryu is part of Mushin, cleverly placed in your path from the start to spy on you.... or worse. That YOU, the player, are a part of Mushin's power that stayed behind (along his legacy) when the rest of him went to the dark realm, as a sort of husk with own will (which would oddly explain why Mushin wants you alive to chase him). And that reaching the divine realm was his goal so he could reunite the whole of himself and descend back into Earth as a full god or something to rule over all, forever.

I mean, what I just said makes NO sense at all, but considering what I've seen already.....

WARNING: SPOILERS if you haven't already finished the story to current. (It has already been said, but I am saying it again for good measure.)

So I think the story is actually really good. That does NOT mean I am happy about what happened. See, the fact that we are on the forums right now crying about it means that it actually pulled some emotion out of us. That is good writing! We don't like the emotion it pulled out of us, but it made us feel bad. Tragedy is a whole genre of writing.

If a writer can make you smile, and make you feel that warm fuzzy, happy feeling inside, that is good writing. It is also important to recognize that when a writer makes you sad, or makes a villain that you HATE, that is good writing too. If a writer can do both, making your flip flop emotions back and forth or command even more emotions than that from you, that is VERY good writing. Yonkai was good writing. I wanted to grind him into paste, but I couldn't because the Dowager was in command of the Stratus Empire, and if I killed Yonkai, he was a Colonel. That is one click down from General ranks. He was high up. The entire Stratus army would come down on the Cinderlands and kill everyone looking for me. Yonkai was a bully, but not stupid. You can assume he had standing orders if something happened to him. Also, think to how powerful you are at that time, especially with the mark of the black rose. Yonkai had a lot of guards. You can kill 5? Can you kill 20? How about 50 at once? He had that many.

For the story recently, I was sort of caught by surprise. First of all, I probably wouldn't have taken on Jinsoyun as a student, and I would have let the 8 masters have her when they asked even though it turned out that probably would have been a bad idea. Course they (And Zulia) got her anyway, so what difference does that make? Then when you restart the hongmoon school, I looked at Bunyang, and said, "This one will betray me." (Ha!) I saw too much Lusung in him. I was wrong though. He didn't betray the school, but I am still pretty sure it was only a matter of time.

I thought they were going to kill Bunyang just because he was annoying, but then they killed off Bunnah and Jinbin. How could you kill Jinbin!? He was the good one! He was the good try-hard student! I liked him. Bunnah was ok too. She was pretty adorable. Jinsoyun lives of course because she has a severe case of DM's (Dungeon Master's) personal and favorite character syndrome. Jinsoyun's never gonna die. I didn't really expect Ryu to betray us, but... he also just sort of showed up out of no-where. Why did we take him on? Jinbin? Sure! They foreshadowed that back before you ever even met Colonel Yonkai. Bunnah and Bunyang? Sure! That makes perfect sense. Who is Ryu? Where did he come from?

I am sort of worried that the cycle is going to come full circle, and you are going to sacrifice yourself... for Jinsoyun like Master Hong sacrificed himself for you. Ugh. That would suck. I feel like Hong made a mistake there. He should have just let us die, and kill Jinsoyun. Don't give her the sword. Then all that stuff wouldn't have happened, and he could have gotten new students. Of course then we would be dead, but... meh.

How could Jinbin die? I taught him better than that! He should have pressed 'SS!' Why didn't you I-frame it Jinbin!? (Sigh) Maybe you can't I-frame Mushin's attacks. Mushin is kind of a big deal. Your character is saying that you could have done something... not really. Mushin beat us up when we fought him directly when he was trying to kill the fancy tree lady.

Also, the general saying that Namsoyoo is the rightful heir and we need to give the throne to her: I was thinking, "Well... ok technically that is true, but Namsoyoo? She is a spoiled brat. She doesn't even know what is important in life. She just wants more material wealth, which doesn't even make her happy. She double crossed bamboo village, and Dochun, who is pretty much a super good, super nice guy. Do we really want NAMSOYOO running a country, having power over many, many people's lives? Not really."

As for new students, how about Poharan? I see light in her eyes. She is just Tsundre is all. She needs to be shown the Hongmoon way, and then she, as the next admiral would be good! Also, having a navy would be pretty neat! Yeoharan? We need an excuse to know more about her. They introduced her, and then immediately forgot about her. Chungsil, and his sister Hongsil - the machine maker from Mushin's tower? She is a cute little bunny girl. Her machines could be fun. Maybe we learn more about the Naryu through her? How about that merchant's daughter who likes Soha - Opal is her name? The one you met in the desert? Maybe she would rather join Ironsights Academy? Maybe that one you help get a job in the Dasari Palace area? Maybe that one who's dad you help save when you are trying to go "dark-side" in Harvest Square? How about Yunwa? We could steal the "top rookie from Soha." NOT Gacha. That lazy guy who wears the gold vest and black pants outfit working for everyone as you quest who ended up being the son who ran away from the Hogshead Pastures Farm - Orpun? That could be interesting, though I can't see him being a good student. Bomani? Nah. Soha? Mmmm she has her own school. The Lycandi girl? Lycan the Mighty was a friend of Hong after all. Bodul? She found her brother Kosan, and you helped reunite them. Now she is his guard and assistant as he is some kind of head researcher for the Talus now? I am pretty sure those two are incestuous. Bodul probably got Kosan to hire her as a prostitute at the blind eye bazaar when she was a gutter-rat, and he fell in love with her. Then, later on, they found out that they were long lost brother and sister, and just sort of went with it. Now they have this weird dual relationship. Definitely an adult concept, but hey... game and website rated M for mature. Makes you sign your age every time you log in. You realize they DID just murder a bunch of children in the story right?

Speaking of which, maybe we don't want to make that mistake again and only start training bad-asses so they don't die such as Junghado, Yu Chun, Soha, Juwol, Yunma-Fei, Maksun, that ninja girl from the Stratus empire? She might be looking for a new job since she betrayed the Dowager to help you right? Cobalt and Scarlet widow? Nah, probably not. How about that Yun that loves the New Tree Lady in Valindria? Mmm probably not. She probably wants to stay with the new Tree Lady too much.

Yeah I have to say that Mushin has a decent idea of marching on the dark realm, killing the dark lord, and being done with it rather than putting out all these little fires like Cricket is, but he is also almost a demon himself by this point because he was asking you, "How many more innocents have to die?" I was thinking, "Depends on how many more people you murder Mushin! Don't you dare try to put that on me! You are the one who is killing people here, not me!" Also, he just performed the divine mandate ceremony. It requires certain blood, and they used his, but that SHOULD work because he IS Mushin after all and he has already performed the Divine Mandate once before, and it worked for him before. At this point, I can't see the divine realm granting him anything though. The ceremony should just fail, or strip him of his rank as guardian... unless the divine realm is just stupid and blind beyond all reason.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, NorbertTheOpinionated said:

, that ninja girl from the Stratus empire? She might be looking for a new job since she betrayed the Dowager to help you right? 

Thankfully, not. At the end of the story, it was Dowager who betrayed her country, and was currently being hunted down (which led to next raid. Hope with not sobbing side story cuz I just wanted her to drop death). If anything, the ninja girl has big achievement here, assisting Hongmoon hero in preventing a full-force war between Stratus and Talus, bring back the true heiress of Stratus (or the whole united Stratus/Talus before they became two countries), reveal the and betrayal of Dowager. If anything, she deserves a medal.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, NorbertTheOpinionated said:

Also, the general saying that Namsoyoo is the rightful heir and we need to give the throne to her: I was thinking, "Well... ok technically that is true, but Namsoyoo? She is a spoiled brat. She doesn't even know what is important in life. She just wants more material wealth, which doesn't even make her happy. She double crossed bamboo village, and Dochun, who is pretty much a super good, super nice guy. Do we really want NAMSOYOO running a country, having power over many, many people's lives? Not really."

I can  imagine that half of the national budget will come to her wardrobe.

Well, I think Namsoyo may have learned a thing or two about compassion when traveling with Gwon. Sure. her change was not shown to us, but I noted she spoke a bit different when she realized who she really was. She will be very sad when she learns Gwon died thanks to the player bringing the friggin blackram into Solak (because everything ends up being the player's fault.. fuuuuu!).

As for new students, I feel the player should do like Ryu... No, not this one, the one from Street Fighter. Become a solo hero who feels he's not good enough to be a master yet, and travels the world gaining experience by fighting ever stronger enemies (because MMOs never lack those super dungeons that can't be soloed no matter what, kek). I mean, it's more than proven that the player is no master material. At least not the teaching type. Maybe if the devs make a Blade and Soul 2, the previous player character is finally a master capable of keeping a school without it being murdered into Tuesday and beyond. But as it is now, the player is still an apprentice, despite Hong's words after dealing with adult Jinsoyun. The player has MUCH to learn both about fighting and about decision making.

• 1 month later...

...There's a chance that Ryu is in reality Mushin's son. Yura makes a possible mother. After all, the pair of them do seem to hit it off, and hang out all the time, and she did give birth to all them baddies while she was in her altered state way back. Mushin seems the type who is drawn to the icky types himself. heheh. I can see Yura making a lunch and packing Ryu off to evil school. Mushin teaching your Ryu which end of a sword is which, ah, precious family moments... It's a longshot, but, that thought occurred to me one night as I considered the possibilities. *Shrugs* That new pic of his in the opening credits shows him with that same arrogant look as Mushin wears. We'll see.

...There doesn't seem to be much point in starting the school up time and time again, so maybe the lone survivor is the way it will go. Sort of like the old Kung-Fu tv show....

So at the very end of the story, the quest "Chapter 1: Dwindling Light" opens and the task is to "Find a way to live in peace." Okehhhhh. How exactly do I go about completing that quest when there is literally no way to turn it in.

Or is the entire game "hung" at that point? Is that as far as the developers got? If it is, there is no closure. No ending credits, nothing. Anybody have an insight about how to complete it? I feel like I'm missing something, probably right under my nose.

1 hour ago, Hunu said:

So at the very end of the story, the quest "Chapter 1: Dwindling Light" opens and the task is to "Find a way to live in peace." Okehhhhh. How exactly do I go about completing that quest when there is literally no way to turn it in.

Or is the entire game "hung" at that point? Is that as far as the developers got? If it is, there is no closure. No ending credits, nothing. Anybody have an insight about how to complete it? I feel like I'm missing something, probably right under my nose.

Chapter X is out in KR and we will get it in 4-6 months.  Here is a preview https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/242774-trailer-of-act-10/.

Archived