Any word/news on optimization?

Dellecross

After searching though the web and these forums in particular, I found that the optimization is in a very grim state in the game. As do I feel it myself.

For instance, my RTT in-game easily reaches 350ms. And that's in the training room (mushin hall level 2 solo "dungeon" with dummies where there are no other players at all). After doing some quick checks, like:

• tcpdump: showed almost exponential increase in transmission which correlates to the number of active entities around (like - players)
  • tracing: showed a very weird routing onto and behind telia WAN GWs (not to mention that the fact ICMP isn't blocked is already a questionable thing)

As well as considering my overall great internet connection quality (4.5 stars according to ookla's speedtest with average latency of one-digit number: 8..9ms) I do believe that the issue isn't on my side.

On top of that, the client optimizations, such as interpolation delays, work horribly bad when the game renders particle-dependent effect. I can observe huge FPS drops just from pressing "V" on my Soul Fighter character in an empty room. It is easily 60 down to 25..20 frames. Just from one ability..

These two things combined make it very unpleasant to play. I applied some low-level GPU tweaks (because my chip allows to do so) but it stopped working after last patch - which again worsened the overall game performance for me. And I have quite a powerful PC. Not top-notch, but running modern games on ultra-quality is a piece of cake for it.

So main question I have is: are there any plans (known or already announced/planned) for fixing these issues? I'm now evaluating whether I should carry on and play the game or it's time to call it quits.

The only thing we know that next year (no exact date) we are getting  engine update from UE3 To UE4 which in theory should fix some optimizations problems we have now but it will depend how they gonna apply it. As for ms i doubt anything will be done some ppl have good/ some have bad thats just how it is realy. 

Understood. Well this was the last resort anyways - because google the almighty didn't offer any solution and generally hinted about the lack thereof. All the more should I need to stop the torture then it seems. Thanks!

Edit: Sigh. Tried BDO Remastered just for the sake of understanding how the PC/network performs.. Completely fluid and nice experience on ultra settings (stable 60FPS field / 50+FPS towns, no IND and great RTT...). Too bad that game is so boring :\ But at least now I know it's certainly the issue with BnS, not my hardware.

Im noticing tonnes of pop-in now which suggests over recent patches they've reduced the draw distance of things like grass and buildings. Thats something that turned me completely off Black Desert online. Or maybe because im running the game in higher resolutions than before its more noticable?

All my hopes are on the Unreal Engine 4 upgrade. But their trend remains cutting back of graphical effects and animation smoothness. Im actually fearful that UE4 will see even more graphical sacrifices without much gain.

On top of all that the network delay issues remain. They really need to switch to p2p for instance based dungeons atleast. Its the only cost effective solution to the longest and biggest problem.

13 hours ago, Dellecross said:

Tried BDO Remastered just for the sake of understanding how the PC/network performs..

Im not a fan of BDO because that also features too much pop-in of shrubs, trees, grass and very low draw distances.

Yes. The render distance is awful in BDO.. However the engine is useful for testing overall performance. And their network code is way better. At least according to numbers and playing experience. Anyways, I brought it up here not to compare two games. Rather - as another measurement for the performance and as a reassuring fact: the problem is not with my ISP or PC

21 hours ago, Dellecross said:

After searching though the web and these forums in particular, I found that the optimization is in a very grim state in the game. As do I feel it myself.

For instance, my RTT in-game easily reaches 350ms. And that's in the training room (mushin hall level 2 solo "dungeon" with dummies where there are no other players at all). After doing some quick checks, like:

• tcpdump: showed almost exponential increase in transmission which correlates to the number of active entities around (like - players)
  • tracing: showed a very weird routing onto and behind telia WAN GWs (not to mention that the fact ICMP isn't blocked is already a questionable thing)

As well as considering my overall great internet connection quality (4.5 stars according to ookla's speedtest with average latency of one-digit number: 8..9ms) I do believe that the issue isn't on my side.

On top of that, the client optimizations, such as interpolation delays, work horribly bad when the game renders particle-dependent effect. I can observe huge FPS drops just from pressing "V" on my Soul Fighter character in an empty room. It is easily 60 down to 25..20 frames. Just from one ability..

These two things combined make it very unpleasant to play. I applied some low-level GPU tweaks (because my chip allows to do so) but it stopped working after last patch - which again worsened the overall game performance for me. And I have quite a powerful PC. Not top-notch, but running modern games on ultra-quality is a piece of cake for it.

So main question I have is: are there any plans (known or already announced/planned) for fixing these issues? I'm now evaluating whether I should carry on and play the game or it's time to call it quits.

The optimization of the game in terms of performance is horrible, the servers are bad as well but if u have that ping it's your ISP/PC problem as well.

1 hour ago, LiNe171 said:

but if u have that ping it's your ISP/PC problem as well.

Of course not. To explain this simple - think about the "network" as about a system of pipes with the water flowing in. What will be the fastest way (not to confuse with the best way - see further) to deliver a portion of water from point A to point B? It's just the length of the shortest route. And what would be the average volume/time unit? It's just proportional to the thinnest pipe on the way. Different routes could have different pipes thickness and produce different result - hence sometimes, shortest route isn't the best one in terms of delivered water per time unit: If you have a route with the length of 200 units but the thinnest pipe as 10, it will definitely lose to the route which has length of 500 but the thinnest pipe as 400.

So if servers are behind hosting-provider routing (telia in this case) which doesn't select the best route - that's one of the ways to get "bad ping" (though "ping" or more correctly, the latency - isn't the only measure of the connection quality). Also there are many, many reasons which are encapsulated in the servers themselves. Sometimes they can just simple not perform as they should. May be they don't even have any type of fleet scaling? And all of users are served under the static set of servers hence making it worse in rush hours? We'll never know.

Another part is plain "netcode". A wise approach is to not multiply at least the transmission volume/rate proportional to the amount of acting entities (like - players). Which isn't the case in this game it seems. The client sends proportionally more traffic to the entities involved. Not good. At all. This would be one of the reasons why even on lowest settings you'll observe way worse gameplay network quality in raids. Now I'm not exactly a network applications engineer expert (unlike for network technologies) - but the logic suggests that it should at least be like in most modern games - i.e. batching and scheduling. Which would require a good management of in-game interpolation/prediction for fluid experience.

All of this is just to illustrate: if your network in-game connection quality is bad - the problem isn't necessarily on your side. Especially if you can do measurements (like I did, see above) and check the performance and quality in other games / network apps. I'm pretty confident my case isn't on my account. All the more was I looking for any news regarding optimizations for BnS.

Archived