FPS question/System requirement of running smoothly

JimmyPau

I've read a lot of crap in the thread; the single issue with your performance is that your CPU is just clocked too low.
The game takes up on average up to 2GB of system memory and 1GB of graphic memory.
Thermal throttling is likely also an issue; that means your CPU and even in some cases GPU automatically slow down in an attempt to run at lower temperatures. (Yes the irony; when you actually need your CPU to live up to it's name it turns into a potato cause "it's too hard").
Thermal throttling is an issue with just about any laptop making most I7 laptops effectively just a marketing scam.
I would recommend getting yourself a desktop with around a 4Ghz clock speed. Maybe build one; and get a used GPU for it; with the RTX 20XX series coming in September I expect to see people reselling their old cards. @JimmyPau

On 8/25/2018 at 2:15 PM, JimmyPau said:

Which mean it's not because I can't run bns on my computer, it's because bns don't want to use my cpu, like, at all. I just tested it further more and realize 99% of the time my cpu is at 20% or lower.

1) How many cores do you have?  (for that matter, what type of CPU do you have?)

2) Do you have hyperthreading turned on?  If so -- turn it off!

3) Can we assume you have nothing else running?  

4) you mentioned elsewhere having 90+C is that on your graphics card or cpu?  

4a) find some sort of supplementary cooling for your laptop -- especially if it is the cpu, but either way, temps like are in the throttle zone for either cpu or gpu. (end of story...90C on cpu or gpu is not great...how old is laptop?  maybe needs cleaning inside?)

5) if your cpu is really only 20% usage most of the time,  then look at your power-policy.  What is it set to?

5a try max performance.

5b look at details (plan settings, details) and find processor power management.  Check maximum processor state (should be 100%)

5c System cooling policy: active

5d (if you could what options so you have under processor power management and what are the settings?)

6) also under power options: (unlikely but check in case): pci express: link state power management: off (for highest perf plan)

is your cpu using multiple cores?  Should be using at least 2 -- solid @ 30-50% each, each running at 3.2GHz.  Look at the per-cpu graphs in process hacker (https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/) -- a better task manager among other things.  It can let you look at per-core usage as well as gpu core usage, though I don't think it displays power or temperature usage.  I have 2 of more cores (not hyperthreaded cores) in relatively heavy use w/BnS @30-50% each, but Windows only reports 14% usage by BNS since it sums up all the cpu usage on each core then divides by the number of cores (or threads if you have those enabled).  On a game like BnS, hyperthreading can slow down your game -- especially if the windows scheduler (which isn't too bright, in my experience), puts BnS on 2 different hyperthreads on the same core -- it will almost certainly harm performance.  BTW, my GPU usage maxes at about 30% with BnS...  (2560x1600 display) with pretty much all settings maxed cept for ones that reduce visual clarity.

Anway, w/o more info, can't really say more, w/o more info...but check out the above ideas and get back to us...

1)My cpu has 8 cores, and it is an i7
2)I honestly have no idea what that is, but I doubt that's the problem. I'll try doing that either way, doesn't hurt with trying things out.
3)Yes, I have absolutely nothing else running in the background. But it doesn't really matter anyway because even with chromes and steam and other stuff turned off or on, the fps still won't go over 30, and will stay around the same that also goes with using low-end PC option in the graphic setting.
4)Yes I did, and that's my gpu, I checked it with my MSI afterburner and saw it, but that could be inaccurate considering I had other things turned on at that moment, I'll check it again later on.

4a)I do have cooling fan and cooling pad for my laptop, and my laptop is 3 years old(That could be the problem), I tried to clean it but I'm afraid I don't know how to do that and even if I try I might screw things up and mess it up even more.
5)It is set to max performance(Or high performance, in another word).
5b)It is on 100%

5c)It is on active.

6)It is off.

Yes, my cpu used multiple cores, and each are running at 3.22GHz. 

Btw, this random boost really is pissing me off, because the game constantly running at under 30 fps is already bad enough, my computer seems to be enjoying seeing me suffer as it keep on randomly going straight up to 50 to 60 fps(The highest I ever got was 80), but only to go back down to 12 in around 5 to 7 seconds, it really is pissing me off. A side note, my brother's laptop which uses GeForce GTX 960M, which I had been comparing, only better than mine by a few percent, are doing WAY BETTER than mine. He's having 45 to 50 fps constantly and only drop to 30 to 20 in combat, when I, on the other hand, having 20 fps constantly and drop to 2 when in combat(Yes, not even joking, it's literally 2.) I know I might be wasting everyone's time or the issue might be just right in front of me but I didn't see it, but I really wish someone can give me some kind of magical solution where I can fix it instantly and stop having to worry about these kind of stuff, I'm not good at computer, I just want to play bns and have fun.

4 hours ago, JimmyPau said:

1)My cpu has 8 cores, and it is an i7
2)I honestly have no idea what that is, but I doubt that's the problem. I'll try doing that either way, doesn't hurt with trying things out.
3)Yes, I have absolutely nothing else running in the background. But it doesn't really matter anyway because even with chromes and steam and other stuff turned off or on, the fps still won't go over 30, and will stay around the same that also goes with using low-end PC option in the graphic setting.
4)Yes I did, and that's my gpu, I checked it with my MSI afterburner and saw it, but that could be inaccurate considering I had other things turned on at that moment, I'll check it again later on.

4a)I do have cooling fan and cooling pad for my laptop, and my laptop is 3 years old(That could be the problem), I tried to clean it but I'm afraid I don't know how to do that and even if I try I might screw things up and mess it up even more.
5)It is set to max performance(Or high performance, in another word).
5b)It is on 100%

5c)It is on active.

6)It is off.

Yes, my cpu used multiple cores, and each are running at 3.22GHz. 

Btw, this random boost really is pissing me off, because the game constantly running at under 30 fps is already bad enough, my computer seems to be enjoying seeing me suffer as it keep on randomly going straight up to 50 to 60 fps(The highest I ever got was 80), but only to go back down to 12 in around 5 to 7 seconds, it really is pissing me off. A side note, my brother's laptop which uses GeForce GTX 960M, which I had been comparing, only better than mine by a few percent, are doing WAY BETTER than mine. He's having 45 to 50 fps constantly and only drop to 30 to 20 in combat, when I, on the other hand, having 20 fps constantly and drop to 2 when in combat(Yes, not even joking, it's literally 2.) I know I might be wasting everyone's time or the issue might be just right in front of me but I didn't see it, but I really wish someone can give me some kind of magical solution where I can fix it instantly and stop having to worry about these kind of stuff, I'm not good at computer, I just want to play bns and have fun.

Are you using compatibility mode? Didn't know if you already answered to that, but with compability mode set to win 7 i couldn't pass 20 fps as well

5 hours ago, LiNe171 said:

Are you using compatibility mode? Didn't know if you already answered to that, but with compability mode set to win 7 i couldn't pass 20 fps as well

No, I was not using any compatibility mode, the compatibility mode checkbox is simply off.

Hi Jimmy....thanks for the info..

regarding 1) & 2.  it's an i7.  If you goto your ControlPanel, System, you should see an entry for Processor

there does it give a model number?

If not there, another place to look would be on the Device Manager page (also on control panel), then 

down about 2/3rds it should have Processors: and say something like

Intel ....somename, some model# CPU @ 3.25GHz

somename is probably Core i7.

Regarding # processors and #2(hyperthreading).

I don't know of any Core i7 processors that had 8 cores from 3 years ago UNLESS they had

hyperthreading enabled.  It's almost certain that you have it enabled.  It needs to be off --and

is only available to be turned off in the BIOS.  

If you have problems finding the setting on your machine, try googling it before you go into your BIOS:

like 'How to turn off hyperthread in <your computer manufacturer name+model>...like ACER 970 or 

Dell 7920 or whatever your maker and model is.

Intel cpus (and AMD) both have something called hyperthreads.  Not as familiar w/performance issues on AMD, BUT

unless your workload is reasonably well designed for hyperthreads (most workloads are not), then if the programs uses

fewer cores than you have in your system (AFAIK, true -- about 2, maybe 3). then you want to give each thread in the program a FULL CPU.  CPU's support 2 hyperthreads/cpu (on your CPU, anyway).  CPU's have lots of internal functions -- like

memory moving, and arithmetic, etc...some of those can be done at the same time in different threads, with little or no slowdown,

however, all your cpu's are going to fight for cpu-cache memory which is far more limited than your system memory.

I think a mid-level Xeon from the same era had about 12MB of 3rd lvl cache for all of its cpus (6).  But that also meant

if you turned on HT (Hyper Threading), it would share that 12MB with 12 threads -- or half as much each.    CPU cache memory

is about 10x faster than main memory.  The more your cpu's can execute things out of local cache, the faster they will run.

So by turning off HT, your cpu's will get twice as much cache, EACH, which I'm hoping will make a fair difference.

Second thing to (at same time) -- limit your max frames in the game to 40.  You may think that's not fast enough,

but remember you are usually not getting 20 and sometimes as low as 2 with spikes around 60-70.

Those spikes don't help you.  IF you are experiencing thermal throttling on either your CPU or GPU, 

limiting the max to 40 will mean that when your computer would have spiked at 60-70, it wil be able to

rest a bit, instead -- and generate less heat.  I've played some games as low as 24 FPS which is barely 

tolerable.  Might try limiting FPS to 30 even and see if that makes any difference.

The above two actions should give 2x the amount of cpu cache per active BnS thread, which should help,

AND any time your system would have jumped up, should now go into reducing temperature.

Not sure what type of GPU you have, but if Nvidia, you want to set things to max performance, not max quality.

Will focus on those things for now and see where that gets ya...

Good luck!

Astara

p.s. i assume you have vertical sync turned off in the game and off in the graphics-card settings?

The core of the problem is unreal engine 3 not anyone's spec's really. Lets say you have an i7 or a latest edition i5 (better than a lot of i7s even). Its only using one of your cores which means its treating your cpu worse than cpus like i3 530's even, because of unreal engine 3. Try out bnsbuddy (disabling autoupdate feature for bns buddy is highly recommended). I tried it recently and got a massive performance increase by selecting proper tools like enable all cores. The sad truth is whatever you are using expect to get lag unless you use something like bns buddy until unreal engine 4 comes out. Try having sfx for others on 3 as well (bare minimum needed to see for mechanics) w/ fps locked at 60 (higher if you got the monitor and whale pc).

As far as other settings go be careful this game is unpredictable. Going from textures 5 to 3 actually made me lag more than just staying at textures 5. 

Its a shame they prioritized pushing out content over game optimization. You can't have gameplay if you can't play a game. Even TT right now is hard not necessarily because of the mechanics but because of the lagfest it is right now... you can't even hide characters because of stuff like soulburst

There's 8 of them, and all of them are the same:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz

I check my BIOS and I can't find anything even remoting related to the hardwares in my computer, there's no gpu nor cpu, only stuff related about fast booting and other. I've also checked online to see how other people did it but it seem like they didn't, they all said that there's no option or anything related to hyperthreading, it just seems like the option never exist.

I did lowered my fps limit, my fps limit used to be 80, now it's 50(Background fps is 20), but nothing has changed. Another thing, I check the temperature of my gpu with only bns running and it's around 70 to 75, my gpu is already set to Maximum Performance, too and I did not have vertical sync on nor will I ever turn it on, same in the gpu.

Alright, I have pretty big news for people in this thread: I have successfully fixed my game COMPLETELY and now it's running in 60 fps on average, I've been thinking "What is that thing call SCMII do?" And today I checked it, and I cannot believe this, I had it on ECO off, which is exactly what makes my game went shitty, I am really, really excited right now, thank you, everyone in this thread, your helps leads me into finally knowing to understand my computer.

After a few hours of playing after the fix, I can assure that, yes, this is the fix for me, the lag still appear sometimes but not nearly as often as before, it only appears when a large group of entity(people) are together. Overall it's a fix, at least for me.

17 hours ago, Crickateer said:

Its a shame they prioritized pushing out content over game optimization. 

Had to respond to this.  This is ALWAYS the case in software.  First you implement the features.  THEN you optimize.  You can't optimize what you don't have.   Many times you can't optimize something until you finish a certain related bunch of features.  If they just pushed out 'tic/tac/toe', and optimized it to perfection, there would still the the problem that no one would buy it!  They HAVE to get something out to draw interest -- and that is always content/features.  Optimization -- it makes CURRENT players happy(ier), but it doesn't draw in new players.  That's the problem.

Note, I  *agree* with you, but I'm just explaining why I can't ever see it happening.  They optimize when they Have to in order to

fit in better content, more content, and do neater, cooler things, which means it will still likely take advanced hardware to make it run the way you want it to.  *sigh*.

Worse, I've seen more than one game happen where they dumb down the game's graphics and features in preparation for a 1920x1080 console release and release the same lower res content for the PC version.  

It's not a pretty picture.

I know there is 1 setting in Unreal Engine which could solve majority the fps problems, however i don't know if it's possible to bind that setting into the game for players to fiddle with until they get their desired fps.

There is a setting in Unreal Engine called Render Quality or something like that which ranges from 0% to 100%. 100% being the sharpest 0% being the blurriest rendering. This setting when changed from 100% to lets say 50% will give you a significant fps boost no matter what PC and what graphic settings you have with almost 0 visual graphic changes. It only blurs your screen very very very slightly and you may not even notice it, trust me i know. Only if you set the value to lower than 50% you start seeing visual changes on the screen and everything starts to look much more blurry. I assume the developers has kept this value at 100% or near it. Giving players control over that value would help a lot and it wouldn't affect the graphics quality much at all.

On 25/08/2018 at 7:28 PM, HateMe said:

Its because this game relies heavily on the CPU not GPU. You can have 1080Ti but if your processor is garbage you wont get more than 40 FPS.

My proc is a i7 with 3.6GHz. I shoudlnt have any issues.

Archived